All About Chloroform#2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is already posted.
It was suggest on another site that the chloroform detected by the body farm was from CSI mini-kits which contains chloroform and is used to try to extract the fluid stain from the trunk. And on the computer forensic no mention of chloroform searches.

Wow, reminds me of the Cindy Sommers (sp?) case where the arsenic found was actually a contamination from the lab testing evidence. I just pray LE is not going to try and make up evidence in this case!

Has it come out yet when KC searched for chloroform on her computer? May? June?

Wow, reminds me of the Cindy Sommers (sp?) case where the arsenic found was actually a contamination from the lab testing evidence. I just pray LE is not going to try and make up evidence in this case!

It has been said there was a massive amount of chloroform found in the trunk. (sorry, I don't have a link.) I just can't see this being a case of cross-contamination.
Lanie

It has been said there was a massive amount of chloroform found in the trunk. (sorry, I don't have a link.) I just can't see this being a case of cross-contamination.
Lanie

On CNN CRIME the report says:

Preliminary FBI Lab reports state that there were TRACES of chloroform found....

I do not have a copy feature on this little puter, but go to the CNN CRIME section on Caylee Anthony and you will see it.

It is sort of like the old game of TELEPHONE - by the time information gets passed around a hundred times it changes. Of course it does not help when one certain host on a show spews misleading info for her ratings!

is a little hard to believe. Swimming pool chemicals have many of the same chemical elements as cholorform - chlorine, bromine, etc...cholorform is chlorine and methane/ethanol heated to create a gas. If chloroform gas was detected by the gas spectrometer then it well could have been chlorine/ethanol (alcohol)l/acetane (nail polish remover) gases created by being heated up in that trunk. Methane gas emanates from a decaying body and combined with chlorine and ethanol would create chloroform.

P.S. Contrary to what Nancy Grace has said, there is no such thing as a "pure form of chloroform". Chloroform is a mixture of chemicals, it is not a "pure gas", it has to be mixed with other chemicals.

is a little hard to believe. Swimming pool chemicals have many of the same chemical elements as cholorform - chlorine, bromine, etc...cholorform is chlorine and methane/ethanol heated to create a gas. If chloroform gas was detected by the gas spectrometer then it well could have been chlorine/ethanol (alcohol)l/acetane (nail polish remover) gases created by being heated up in that trunk. Methane gas emanates from a decaying body and combined with chlorine and ethanol would create chloroform.

P.S. Contrary to what Nancy Grace has said, there is no such thing as a "pure form of chloroform". Chloroform is a mixture of chemicals, it is not a "pure gas", it has to be mixed with other chemicals.

Yada yada yada. Sorry, but when is the last time you had EVER heard of chloroform or its uses until you read about this case?

On CNN CRIME the report says:

Preliminary FBI Lab reports state that there were TRACES of chloroform found....

I do not have a copy feature on this little puter, but go to the CNN CRIME section on Caylee Anthony and you will see it.

It is sort of like the old game of TELEPHONE - by the time information gets passed around a hundred times it changes. Of course it does not help when one certain host on a show spews misleading info for her ratings!
I totally agree with you. I was very surprised when NG said the things she said about the massive amounts of chloroform found. I even tried to verify what she had said after that broadcast. Unfortunately, I found nothing. I believe the chloroform was a result of GA cleaning the car. I want to see the computer forensics about the search before I give anymore credence to this. I have a feeling that this search was done after they picked up the car. JMO

I believe the chloroform was a result of GA cleaning the car. I want to see the computer forensics about the search before I give anymore credence to this. I have a feeling that this search was done after they picked up the car. JMO

These same thoughts have crossed my mind too Dadsgirl. I also wondered if Casey tried cleaning the trunk with it, left the bottle in the trunk.....Cindy finds it, wondering why the heckl she (Casey) has this, removes it, then searches for chloroform uses.

If she used chloroform as a cleaning agent she'd knock herself out. This is why they tell you on bottles of cleaning agents not to mix with other cleaning agents. Isn't the most likely reason for these spectrometer readings methane and chlorine? Methane from the decaying body and chlorine from a cleaning attempt? It could very well be that she took a pail of water out of the swimming pool and dumped it into the trunk. Another simpler reason would be that she put the body in a bag that was used for a swimming bag or that the clothes on the body were soaked in pool water.

(I'm not insisting here, it just seems that chloroform is a stretch.)

I posed the question about the chloroform being used to alter bank checks a few posts back. My question originally came about because I was wondering how one would go about changing a name on a check. > to the chemical Chloroform. I picked up this idea from other posts on this site. See my original Post 186 & 191 this thread for the background.
I finally took the time to do a little digging.
I found that Chloroform has/is used to clean ink printing presses and ink jet applicators and can be used as a spot remover to lift ink from many types of material paper included. I wanted to find something that had a little more in-depth information.
I did find a few web sites that seemed to explain this process but where heavy on chemical formulas. It has been a long time since chemistry class so I gave them a glance over and decided to save myself a headache and went looking for sites that sold checks. Sort of a sideways approach but I figured it was something that could not be done nobody would mention it as part of bragging rights on a product.

So…..

Well as far as using Chloroform to alter checks it must be able to be done. I don’t know the exact method yet of how it is done but appears that it can be. This is a website that sells checks that have been made with specialty treated paper that would show if there was any attempt to alter the checks by various methods including using chemicals.

One of the chemicals listed is Chloroform as well as interesting enough gasoline.

Chemical Sensitivity in five families prevents attempts at chemical alteration by staining the document. Discoloration appears on check if altered by the following:
With quality manufactured and security enhanced check stocks. Check stock offers a
broad range of security features that work together to protect your payments
from photocopying or chemical alterations.
Chlorine Bleach
Acids – Sulfuric, Hydrochloric, Nitric
Alkalis – Sodium Hydroxide, Potash
Polar Solvents – Alcohol, Acetone,
Methanol, Ethanol
Non-Polar Solvents – Gasoline,
Chloroform, Benzene, White Spirits
http://www.payformance.com/documents/Secure Check Stock.pdf

This does not answer the question of what Casey may or may not have been actually doing with chloroform but it looks like ‘lifting ink from checks’ can be added to list.

If she used chloroform as a cleaning agent she'd knock herself out. This is why they tell you on bottles of cleaning agents not to mix with other cleaning agents. Isn't the most likely reason for these spectrometer readings methane and chlorine? Methane from the decaying body and chlorine from a cleaning attempt? It could very well be that she took a pail of water out of the swimming pool and dumped it into the trunk. Another simpler reason would be that she put the body in a bag that was used for a swimming bag or that the clothes on the body were soaked in pool water.

(I'm not insisting here, it just seems that chloroform is a stretch.)

I know.. I'm with ya. I just can't figure out what the deal is with the chloroform.

I know.. I'm with ya. I just can't figure out what the deal is with the chloroform.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a result of using different cleaning products that combined produced chloroform. I don't really think that pure cloroform was used. Just a by-product of different solvents. The chloroform search on the computer is really dependent on when the search was done. Maybe they were looking up how the dna testing on the trunk was going to be done. I am really not sure yet. I don't think we have enough info yet to fit the search in at this time. I hope I am not copping out. I just think the date of that search is a huge factor. As always JMO.

I posed the question about the chloroform being used to alter bank checks a few posts back. My question originally came about because I was wondering how one would go about changing a name on a check. > to the chemical Chloroform. I picked up this idea from other posts on this site. See my original Post 186 & 191 this thread for the background.
I finally took the time to do a little digging.
I found that Chloroform has/is used to clean ink printing presses and ink jet applicators and can be used as a spot remover to lift ink from many types of material paper included. I wanted to find something that had a little more in-depth information.
I did find a few web sites that seemed to explain this process but where heavy on chemical formulas. It has been a long time since chemistry class so I gave them a glance over and decided to save myself a headache and went looking for sites that sold checks. Sort of a sideways approach but I figured it was something that could not be done nobody would mention it as part of bragging rights on a product.

So…..

Well as far as using Chloroform to alter checks it must be able to be done. I don’t know the exact method yet of how it is done but appears that it can be. This is a website that sells checks that have been made with specialty treated paper that would show if there was any attempt to alter the checks by various methods including using chemicals.

One of the chemicals listed is Chloroform as well as interesting enough gasoline.

Chemical Sensitivity in five families prevents attempts at chemical alteration by staining the document. Discoloration appears on check if altered by the following:
With quality manufactured and security enhanced check stocks. Check stock offers a
broad range of security features that work together to protect your payments
from photocopying or chemical alterations.
Chlorine Bleach
Acids – Sulfuric, Hydrochloric, Nitric
Alkalis – Sodium Hydroxide, Potash
Polar Solvents – Alcohol, Acetone,
Methanol, Ethanol
Non-Polar Solvents – Gasoline,
Chloroform, Benzene, White Spirits
http://www.payformance.com/documents/Secure Check Stock.pdf

This does not answer the question of what Casey may or may not have been actually doing with chloroform but it looks like ‘lifting ink from checks’ can be added to list.
Great post.

what?

Well I can't see LE trying to make up stuff. IMO LE FBI Tenn. Body Farm know what they are doing. This isn't the first case for any of these agencies.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a result of using different cleaning products that combined produced chloroform. I don't really think that pure cloroform was used. Just a by-product of different solvents. The chloroform search on the computer is really dependent on when the search was done. Maybe they were looking up how the dna testing on the trunk was going to be done. I am really not sure yet. I don't think we have enough info yet to fit the search in at this time. I hope I am not copping out. I just think the date of that search is a huge factor. As always JMO.
Ok IMO again, LE FBI etc...know if it is "chloroform" or not "chloroform"

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Sources close to the investigation confirmed late Wednesday for FOX 35 in Orlando that "significant levels" of chloroform were found in the car used by Casey Anthony.
http://www.myfoxnepa.com/myfox/page...n=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1

Two sources close to the Casey Anthony investigation said a chemical possibly found in her car tested positive for an airborne, vaporized form of chloroform.

Chemist Jeff Flowers, who has testified in state and federal court as an expert, said positive tests for vaporized chloroform mean those results could not have come from anything else -- not cleaning products, not human body fluids or a mixture of anything else.

"I think it's as significant or more significant than finding decomposition products," Flowers said.

Flowers said it had to have been pure chloroform, WESH 2's Bob Kealing reported

http://www.wesh.com/news/17397494/detail.html

This is where the information is coming from that it had to be pure chloroform. Also the computer shows someone searched chloroform on the Anthony computer that was seized a few days after Caseys arrest. If the chloroform came from a combination of pool water, body fluids, and chemicals etc no reason for anyone to be searching chloroform on the computer.

I am not sure I understand your post.
Respectfully
dadsgirl4ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads