Aphrodite Jones, JonBenet, and Lou Smit?

I have yet to make my way through all the material re Pennebaker :
[ame="http://www.crimeshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11424"]RDI, meet a real psychologist, a department chair, Dr. James Pennebaker - Crimeshots© True Crime Forums[/ame]

First dip into the reference material and was instantly drawn to his mention of Jeffrey T. Hancock and the notation of simple dimensions, ie frequency of first person singular within patterns of deception.

"Jeffrey T. Hancock, an associate professor of communication at Cornell, uses word counting to study language and deception, particularly on the Internet. Liars, he says, use more “negative emotion” words (hurt, ugly, nasty) and fewer first-person singulars. “These very simple dimensions have emerged again and again,” he said, “despite the fact that there were 40 years of research before this.”

Jeffrey T. Hancock, Lies in Conversation: An Examination of Deception Using Autimated Linguistic Analysis:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:LKboBk3KUiQJ:citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.87.9371%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf+Lies+in+Conversation:+An+Examination+of+Deception+Using+Automated+Linguistic+Analysis.&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShF8f-0zbIiJknUJAX_b8pekGboTVvxAaLrmbctF_myxX9UaEDggqrL1eVvsr8D2ph7ox_rQMJI4wBJ1QhdoxT5Ad8GPDdVCBLSqo93jT7HuTuJdVqa2i58mHabHPlE7asPoAFa&sig=AHIEtbT7WAEZhR0z8LntYfs861RsaG48hA

"LIWC analyzes transcripts on a word-by-word basis, including punctuation, and compares words against a file of words divided into 74 linguistic dimensions. For the purpose of this study, only variables
relevent to the hypothesis or of potential interest to the deceptioninterest were included, which left 8 variables within the four catagories mentioned above: word counts; pronouns; emotion words and
words pertaining to the senses; and exclusive words and negations. In addition, frequency was also analyzed."

? I wonder which parameters were deemed relevent in JP's examination of the rn.
? I wonder if/how a small sample size and reiteration within a text limits/effects the LIWC analysis.

Apply LIWC to the Ramseys reponses in a MSM transcripts, ie
http://www.cnn.com/US/9701/06/slain.girl/9701.01.ep.html
Can 'deception' be tallied?

Text Analysis, Word Count, Key Word Density:
http://textalyser.net/index.php?lang=en#analysis

Perhaps the rn does not 'conform' to patterns seen within normal distribution ie 'natural language'.

Style Words in English, % of total word:
http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/home.../HRtraining/FunctionWords_files/slide0002.htm

Perhaps it's all about manipulation of 'catagory preferences' and customizing output.

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/faculty/Pennebaker/reprints/LIWC2007_OperatorManual.pdf

Customizing LIWC2007 Output
In some cases, you may prefer to analyze only a subset of language dimensions rather than
the full set of variables. To do this, open the “Categories” menu. Within each option (e.g.,
standard information, linguistic dimensions etc.), check boxes are available for each
LIWC2007 dimension. By clicking on each dimension and removing the check mark, the
output category can be omitted from the analyses. Note that the category preferences will
remain in effect until they are re‐checked and will be saved when the application is quit. To
use all dimensions, choose “se all categories”from the “ategories”menu.

Re: JP, Output Variable Information:

Groupings of 'process', linguistic and psychological :

Page 5,6 of 22

Table 1. LIWC2007 Output Variable Information
Category Abbrev
Examples
Words in
category
Validity
(judges)
Alpha:
Binary/raw

Linguistic Processes

Word count wc
words/sentence wps
Dictionary words dic
Words>6 letters sixltr
Total function words funct 464 .97/.40
Total pronouns pronoun I, them, itself 116 .91/.38
Personal pronouns ppron I, them, her 70 .88/.20
1st pers singular i I, me, mine 12 .52 .62/.44
1st pers plural we We, us, our 12 .66/.47
2nd person you You, your, thou 20 .73/.34
3rd pers singular shehe She, her, him 17 .75/.52
3rd pers plural they They, their, they’d 10 .50/.36
Impersonal pronouns ipron It, it’s, those 46 .78/.46
Articles article A, an, the 3 .14/.14

[Common verbs]
a verb Walk, went, see 383 .97/.42
Auxiliary verbs auxverb Am, will, have 144 .91/.23
Past tense

a past Went, ran, had 145 .79 .94/.75
Present tense

a present Is, does, hear 169 .91/.74
Future tense

a future Will, gonna 48 .75/.02
Adverbs adverb Very, really, quickly 69 .84/.48
Prepositions prep To, with, above 60 .88/.35
Conjunctions conj And, but, whereas 28 .70/.21
Negations negate No, not, never 57 .80/.28
Quantifiers quant Few, many, much 89 .88/.12
Numbers number Second, thousand 34 .87/.61
Swear words swear Damn, piss, **** 53 .65/.48

Psychological Processes
Social processes

b social Mate, talk, they, child 455 .97/.59
Family family Daughter, husband, aunt 64 .87 .81/.65
Friends friend Buddy, friend, neighbor 37 .70 .53/.12
Humans human Adult, baby, boy 61 .86/.26
Affective processes affect Happy, cried, abandon 915 .97/.36
Positive emotion posemo Love, nice, sweet 406 .41 .97/.40
Negative emotion negemo Hurt, ugly, nasty 499 .31 .97/.61
Anxiety anx Worried, fearful, nervous 91 .38 .89/.33
Anger anger Hate, kill, annoyed 184 .22 .92/.55
Sadness sad Crying, grief, sad 101 .07 .91/.45
Cognitive processes cogmech cause, know, ought 730 .97/.37
Insight insight think, know, consider 195 .94/.51
Causation cause because, effect, hence 108 .44 .88/.26
Discrepancy discrep should, would, could 76 .21 .80/.28
Tentative tentat maybe, perhaps, guess 155 .87/.13
Certainty certain always, never 83 .85/.29
Inhibition inhib block, constrain, stop 111 .91/.20
Inclusive incl And, with, include 18 .66/.32

Category Abbrev
Examples
Words in
category
Validity
(judges)
Alpha:
Binary/raw

Exclusive excl But, without, exclude 17 .67/.47
Perceptual processes

c percept Observing, heard, feeling 273 .96/.43
See see View, saw, seen 72 .90/.43
Hear hear Listen, hearing 51 .89/.37
Feel feel Feels, touch 75 .88/.26
Biological processes bio Eat, blood, pain 567 .53 .95/.53
Body body Cheek, hands, spit 180 .93/.45
Health health Clinic, flu, pill 236 .85/.38
Sexual sexual Horny, love, incest 96 .69/.34
Ingestion ingest Dish, eat, pizza 111 .86/.68
Relativity relativ Area, bend, exit, stop 638 .98/.51
Motion motion Arrive, car, go 168 .96/.41
Space space Down, in, thin 220 .96/.44
Time time End, until, season 239 .94/.58

Personal Concerns
Work work Job, majors, xerox 327 .91/.69
Achievement achieve Earn, hero, win 186 .93/.37
Leisure leisure Cook, chat, movie 229 .88/.50
Home home
Apartment, kitchen,
family
93 .81/.57
Money money Audit, cash, owe 173 .90/.53
Religion relig Altar, church, mosque 159 .91/.53
Death death Bury, coffin, kill 62 .86/.40

Spoken categories
Assent assent Agree, OK, yes 30 .59/.41
Nonfluencies nonflu Er, hm, umm 8 .28/.23
Fillers filler Blah, Imean, youknow 9 .63/.18
“Words in category” refers to the number of different dictionary words that make up the variable category;
“Validity judges” reflect the simple correlations between judges’ ratings of the category with the LIWC variable
(from Pennebaker & Francis, 1996). “Alphas” refer to the Cronbach alphas for the internal reliability of the specific
words within each category. The binary alphas are computed on the occurrence/non-occurrence of each dictionary
word whereas the raw or uncorrected alphas are based on the percentage of use of each of the category words within
the texts. All alphas were computed on a sample of 2800 randomly selected text files from our language corpus.
The LIWC dictionary generally arranges categories hierarchically. For example, all pronouns are included in the
overarching category of function words. The category of pronouns is the sum of personal and impersonal pronouns.
There are some exceptions to the hierarchy rules:
a

Common verbs are not included in the function word category. Similarly, common verbs (as opposed to auxiliary
verbs) that are tagged by verb tense are included in the past, present, and future tense categories but not in the
overall function word categories.
b

Social processes include a large group of words that denote social processes, including all non-first-personsingular
personal pronouns as well as verbs that suggest human interaction (talking, sharing).
c

Perceptual processes include the entire dictionary of the Qualia category (which is a separate dictionary), which
includes multiple sensory and perceptual dimensions associated with the five senses.

Tadpole -- excuse the pun in my heading, but wow -- this is incredible and you have done a lot of research and work -- THANK YOU!! It will take me a while to digest it all.

Heyya roseofsharon,

I can not accept credit for the JP links. I snagged them from a brilliant 'Sithy' poster from crimeshots:

[ame="http://www.crimeshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11424"]RDI, meet a real psychologist, a department chair, Dr. James Pennebaker - Crimeshots© True Crime Forums[/ame]

I just read and selected 'relative' material persuant to the Siths inquiry:

Is JP a real psychologist?

And within soft science, how statistical outcome can be manipulated by selection/organization of criteria.

I was hoping to compile some info for my friend and have SD forward it.

Heyya roseofsharon,

I can not accept credit for the JP links. I snagged them from a brilliant 'Sithy' poster from crimeshots:

RDI, meet a real psychologist, a department chair, Dr. James Pennebaker - Crimeshots© True Crime Forums

And within soft science, how statistical outcome can be manipulated by selection/organization of criteria.

Hi Tadpole. I must admit I got lost somewhere in that. I certainly hope the friend you are going to forward this to receives enlightenment! Just kidding, that would have to be considered a pipe dream!
ETA: That was bad. I assumed the friend was the person who started that thread. Sorry about that!

Am I allowed to post picture of a book cover and of an actor and of JB?

I found something that I think is very interesting! Thank you.

Am I allowed to post picture of a book cover and of an actor and of JB?

I found something that I think is very interesting! Thank you.

I would think so if the book has been published and the actor is a public figure, right?

images
A litho of a young Muriel, who wrote The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie sure reminds me of someone else --:twocents: IMO always!

Wow! You are certainly not alone, that's uncanny. Wonder if this is why PR was such a fan?

How about this picture -- this is the actor who played Mr. Lowther in Prime of ......

images
If I am out of line, please delete -- thank you!!
:twocents: - IMOO always.

Here are some other coincidences (just IMO) in the movie. I was not able to watch the entire movie, but from what I did see ...

- discussion in the school classroom re knot tieing

- the initials JB

- movie takes place in Scotland - appears JBR dressed in the same tartan jumper and tam as the tartan shown on Spark's autobiography

- actress who played Mary McGregor -- last name Carr

- (paraphrasing) in the movie the comment -- it's wonderful to be French

- the word intruders used in the movie

- in the movie Mary M. dangled over the staircase by other students

(After looking at the R's spiral staircase, there is a sufficient space to drop a small child in the bend of the staircase -- could this be how JBR got the skull fracture -- hard floor is below -- no carpeting)

IMOO, it's just so coincidental!

How about this picture -- this is the actor who played Mr. Lowther in Prime of ......

images
If I am out of line, please delete -- thank you!!
:twocents: - IMOO always.

The great Gordon Jackson....very good Scottish actor.

I think when there are this many coincidences it stops being coincidence!

Heyya roseofsharon,

RDI, meet a real psychologist, a department chair, Dr. James Pennebaker - Crimeshots© True Crime Forums

It will be a PLEASURE! I hope he has an asbestos suit.

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for not updating you sooner.

With my illness and the Casey Anthony trial I did not have the time to get the Jones rebuttal out like I wanted to.

Now with the Anthony trial no matter what we put out there it will be ignored.

What I would like to do is shoot for JonBenet's birthday.

What we can do is use the Aphrodite Jones show as a springboard to get the truth out there.

The biggest misconception is that the Ramseys have been cleared. They absolutely have not.

I really wish I could have got this done before the trial but it was just impossible. Please bear with me. With your help we will get it done.

Love,
Tricia

Hi Everyone,

My apologies for not updating you sooner.

With my illness and the Casey Anthony trial I did not have the time to get the Jones rebuttal out like I wanted to.

Now with the Anthony trial no matter what we put out there it will be ignored.

What I would like to do is shoot for JonBenet's birthday.

What we can do is use the Aphrodite Jones show as a springboard to get the truth out there.

The biggest misconception is that the Ramseys have been cleared. They absolutely have not.

I really wish I could have got this done before the trial but it was just impossible. Please bear with me. With your help we will get it done.

Love,
Tricia

We're with ya, chief. All the way!

We can dare and we can do
United men and brothers too
Our gallant footsteps to pursue
And change our country's story
Our hearts so stout have won us fame
For soon 'tis known from whence we came
Wheree'er we go they dread the name
of Garry Owen and glory!

Members online