GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this is what the Newspaper article is referencing why they are able to have separate trials
Rule 22.3. Severance Of Defendants.

(a) When a defendant moves for a severance because an out-of-court statement of a codefendant makes reference to him but is not admissible against him, the court shall determine whether the prosecution intends to offer the statement in evidence at the trial. If so, the court shall not use a joint trial with dual juries but shall instead require the prosecuting attorney to elect one (1) of the following courses:

(i) a joint trial at which the statement is not admitted into evidence against any defendant;

(ii) a joint trial at which the statement is admitted into evidence only after all references to the moving defendant have been deleted, provided that, as deleted, the statement will not prejudice the moving defendant; or

(iii) severance of the moving defendant.

(b) The court, on application of the prosecuting attorney, or on application of the defendant other than under subsection (a), shall grant a severance of defendants:

(i) if before trial it is deemed necessary to protect a defendant's right to a speedy trial, or it is deemed appropriate to promote a fair determination of the guilt or innocence of one (1) or more defendants; or

(ii) if before trial the court determines that one (1) or more of the defendants will not receive a fair trial because of potentially prejudicial publicity against another defendant; or

(iii) if during trial, upon consent of the defendant to be severed, it is deemed necessary to achieve a fair determination of the guilt or innocence of one (1) or more defendants.

(c) When such information would assist the court in ruling on a motion for severance of defendants, the court may order the prosecuting attorney to disclose any statements made by the defendant which he intends to introduce in evidence at the trial.

Reporter's Note, 2005 Amendment: In Woolbright v. State, 357 Ark. 62, 160 S.W.3d 315 (2004), the Supreme Court barred the use of dual juries until development of a rule that specifically addresses the practical considerations necessary to safeguard the rights of defendants. The 2005 amendments modified subsection (a) to incorporate this holding.

Sorry if this has been discussed already. From reading the Ark Dem Gaz, yesterday it stated that AL was carrying a gun on him when he was apprehended. First had heard of that. I know they charged him with 4 counts of firearms. Also He has been prev ordered undergo counseling for drug abuse. So right there tells us that he has had issues with at least some sort of drugs. AL was required to have psychological counseling in 2007 conviction for a federal probation violation. So what was it he was on Federal Probation for? It seems I saw some posts here on that but cant remember.

It says CL had a 401K of $11,000 and child support as income but hadn't worked since May, that she is a student. Also stated CL didn't own any property or vehicles. (This was on her public defender application). I thought CL also had a veh? Must be in someone else's name.

Pros agreed to separate trials. CL lawyers didn't ask for a trial date but asked for next court date when AL has his so they can see what the psychological exam results deem before they ask for a trial date.

Honestly, it sounds like that article has lots of info wrong. It is posted in the threads here somewhere that AL had two cars in his name after his arrest. I know one was the case he wrecked. There was a link to the tax record on the two.

I have read every article I could find on this case, as well as every news report since BC went missing and nothing has ever been reported about him having a gun on his person, when he was arrested. He had a knife.

CL did have a car but if she had a loan then she didn't own it, so she would not have to list it.

As to AL, he was first arrested at age 17, so I am sure he has done a bit of everything.

Sorry if this has been discussed already. From reading the Ark Dem Gaz, yesterday it stated that AL was carrying a gun on him when he was apprehended. First had heard of that. I know they charged him with 4 counts of firearms. Also He has been prev ordered undergo counseling for drug abuse. So right there tells us that he has had issues with at least some sort of drugs. AL was required to have psychological counseling in 2007 conviction for a federal probation violation. So what was it he was on Federal Probation for? It seems I saw some posts here on that but cant remember.

It says CL had a 401K of $11,000 and child support as income but hadn't worked since May, that she is a student. Also stated CL didn't own any property or vehicles. (This was on her public defender application). I thought CL also had a veh? Must be in someone else's name.Pros agreed to separate trials. CL lawyers didn't ask for a trial date but asked for next court date when AL has his so they can see what the psychological exam results deem before they ask for a trial date.
-------------------------

It appears the only *legit* money coming into CL's household since May was Child Support, the couple of weeks AL worked at the cement plant & student loans---
How were they paying everyday expenses?? rent, utilities, food, and the expensive cell phone services , gas for a couple of vehicles etc.

Honestly, it sounds like that article has lots of info wrong. It is posted in the threads here somewhere that AL had two cars in his name after his arrest. I know one was the case he wrecked. There was a link to the tax record on the two.

I have read every article I could find on this case, as well as every news report since BC went missing and nothing has ever been reported about him having a gun on his person, when he was arrested. He had a knife.

CL did have a car but if she had a loan then she didn't own it, so she would not have to list it.

As to AL, he was first arrested at age 17, so I am sure he has done a bit of everything.

Thank you. This has been my entire frustration with this case that so many things are reported not only on this board but also in the news media and even in court documents that are just not correct. I'm not being snarky with anyone just frustrated that so many rumors get reported as fact and that even the courts can't seem to get things right in some of their paperwork.

My point: Mistakes happen. Not everything that you read or is printed is fact. You have to use common sense and weed through it all.

Tramadol is basically a synthetic opiate. It's a middle ground between ibuprofen and hydrocodone. It has a high potential for abuse but in my experience it's typically abused by people who are prone to addiction.

I've taken it, prescribed for a terrible muscle spasm I had in my neck that lasted several days. I was also prescribed hydrocodone at that time. The tramadol helped about the same as ibuprofen 800 mg. The hydrocodone helped more. The tramadol made me more tired than the hydrocodone does.

It seems to be pretty varied as to individual pain relief results, but I haven't personally seen anyone be unable to function in a normal way while taking it as prescribed. It also would depend on the dose and how a person metabolizes it.

This is related to a post in the last thread, in case anyone is wondering why it seems random.

I agree with your post. I'm on 50 mg of tramadol twice a day as one of my pain medications that I have been on for over eight years. I am disabled but it has not affected my ability to function either mentally or physically.

If CL was in clinicals that night that would be easily proven by LE so I have to go under the assumption she was there unless its proven otherwise.
We have a eyewitness that saw a truck there. We also have FH rumor there was a silver car there . At one point all 3 vehicles were there. Neither of the accused perps own a truck and there have been no arrests so far of anyone that does. Perhaps the neighbor saw this on Friday when there probably was LE and investigators running in and out? We know for sure AL was there because he confessed to kidnapping BC.
Going with just what we know for sure, AL by all accounts was at the vacant house alone. (CL was at school. )
When was BC bound with duct tape? She met him approximately 5-5:30. There were neighbors close to this vacant house and this is a prime time for people to be returning home from work which is a risky time of getting caught. Would he have taken the time to bind her or use a weapon to force her to leave with him? Im assuming he would have taped her mouth also to keep her from screaming. If he just forced her in the car he would have had a hard time driving and controlling her too. If her mouth was taped he ran the risk of other drivers seeing a woman duct taped and calling the cops. So he probably would have had to bind her there and throw her in the back seat lying down or put her in the trunk. The only thing I can figure out if she was unbound at that time he made her get in the trunk which was the fastest way to get out of there. He had her phone on him and most likely was the one who texted her RE friend around 7. So maybe BC wasnt being held anywhere and was in the trunk.Then CL comes home and finds out what he did. At this point, BC was bound with duct tape. I think a struggling BC would have been a challenge for AL to handle by himself other than forcing her in the car with a weapon at the vacant house by himself. Al wasnt that much bigger than BC. If she is fighting him back at all I don't see him doing all this then. I can see her doing like Holly Bobo though and walking away with him.

If CL was in clinicals that night that would be easily proven by LE so I have to go under the assumption she was there unless its proven otherwise.
We have a eyewitness that saw a truck there. We also have FH rumor there was a silver car there . At one point all 3 vehicles were there. Neither of the accused perps own a truck and there have been no arrests so far of anyone that does. Perhaps the neighbor saw this on Friday when there probably was LE and investigators running in and out? We know for sure AL was there because he confessed to kidnapping BC.
Going with just what we know for sure, AL by all accounts was at the vacant house alone. (CL was at school. )
When was BC bound with duct tape? She met him approximately 5-5:30. There were neighbors close to this vacant house and this is a prime time for people to be returning home from work which is a risky time of getting caught. Would he have taken the time to bind her or use a weapon to force her to leave with him? Im assuming he would have taped her mouth also to keep her from screaming. If he just forced her in the car he would have had a hard time driving and controlling her too. If her mouth was taped he ran the risk of other drivers seeing a woman duct taped and calling the cops. So he probably would have had to bind her there and throw her in the back seat lying down or put her in the trunk. The only thing I can figure out if she was unbound at that time he made her get in the trunk which was the fastest way to get out of there. He had her phone on him and most likely was the one who texted her RE friend around 7. So maybe BC wasnt being held anywhere and was in the trunk.Then CL comes home and finds out what he did. At this point, BC was bound with duct tape. I think a struggling BC would have been a challenge for AL to handle by himself other than forcing her in the car with a weapon at the vacant house by himself. Al wasnt that much bigger than BC. If she is fighting him back at all I don't see him doing all this then. I can see her doing like Holly Bobo though and walking away with him.

I don't believe that CL just came home and found out what he did. And, has LE even ruled out she was even at clinicals at that time? That would be her alibi from the kidnapping part right?? I believe there is way more than we know and they were both invovled equally.... I just can't believe this thread turned into a "trying to defend CL" thread.... Right now she has formal charges of horrible crimes against her... What if someone here was defending AL? Would it be the same then?

Difference is Al admitted to the kidnapping ,CL has not................ Law states innocent until proven guilty. Not saying she was or wasn't involved, because we don't know all the info that LE knows.

I don't believe that CL just came home and found out what he did. And, has LE even ruled out she was even at clinicals at that time? That would be her alibi from the kidnapping part right?? I believe there is way more than we know and they were both invovled equally.... I just can't believe this thread turned into a "trying to defend CL" thread.... Right now she is guilty of horrible crimes... What if someone here was defending AL? Would it be the same then?

I have been getting frustrated that it appears CL is being treated as a victim instead of Beverly... She is not charged with using poor judgement...she is charged with Kidnapping & Capitol Murder and I do not for one minute believe Le is making up the charges...

I have been looking at Cl's last post on her facebook ( or one of her last) She was arrested less than 24 hrs after posting

** I am so glad to have the friends I have and to figure out who the snakes in the grass are before they bite me ...... I have no room for snakes in my life!! **

Who would be snakes?? people who do not believe she is the victim??? seriously I have thought almost constantly about who she would consider snakes going to bite her...

Right now she is guilty of horrible crimes... What if someone here was defending AL? Would it be the same then?

No...right now she is charged with horrible crimes. Same as AL. Like it or not, they are both innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

If AL acted alone, who drove the car with the Beverly in the trunk or back and who drove the truck?

Im not defending CL . Im just trying to put together the pieces because I may be one of the few that do believe she has an involvement in this as much as AL. If she helped hold BC against her will that would warrant the kidnapping charges even tho she may not have been present at the vacant house.

If AL acted alone, who drove the car with the Beverly in the trunk or back and who drove the truck?

Thats why Im wondering if the truck may have been seen at a different time and have nothing to do with this case. Just as I think AL neighbor may have been speaking about Friday instead of Thursday. That truck bothers me but so far its not been revealed to be connected so Im trying to think through a scenario without the things we dont know for a fact. But I know what you mean. That truck will always haunt this case.

Im not defending CL . Im just trying to put together the pieces because I may be one of the few that do believe she has an involvement in this as much as AL. If she helped hold BC against her will that would warrant the kidnapping charges even tho she may not have been present at the vacant house.

I didn't take your post as CL defense at all. Just trying to work out a theory of events. I appreciate the post.

I've already been involved in a day where I couldn't handle what seemed like CL defense. So I'm staying out of it. I know how that defensive emotion can kick in sometimes.
We have to step back and breathe.

Justice for Beverly Carter is the intended outcome. Let's all gather hands.
*advertiser censored* ba yah

I didn't take your post as CL defense at all. Just trying to work out a theory of events. I appreciate the post.

I've already been involved in a day where I couldn't handle what seemed like CL defense. So I'm staying out of it. I know how that defensive emotion can kick in sometimes.
We have to step back and breathe.

Justice for Beverly Carter is the intended outcome. Let's all gather hands.
*advertiser censored* ba yah

IKWYM. A few weeks ago I had one of those days too and was vocal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox