Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

It seems a likely place to secrete a body, doesn't it? On second thought, police and others probably searched the area thoroughly at the time of Cheryl's disappearance. Still, it makes you wonder if they missed something.

Thank Goodness your family friend has a verifiable alibi :) It's always helpful to have someone on the ground. Do they know of any connection to Mount Penang Institution for Boys through sporting or other groups?

My understanding was that it would be very difficult to exclude the possibility of something lying in that swamp undetected. I'll ask about the Mt Penang link - family friend is now pretty elderly, but there was a pretty effective bush telegraph operating in that part of the world about local crime. Will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding was that it would be very difficult to exclude the possibility of something lying in that swamp undetected. I'll ask about the Mt Penang link - family friend is now pretty elderly, but there was a pretty effective bush telegraph operating in that part of the world about local crime. Will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Anna.

Just saw a Tweet from Robert Ovadia from Channel 7 Sydney -

[video=twitter;844514221068988417]https://twitter.com/RobertOvadia/status/844514221068988417[/video]

"BREAKING @7NewsSydney @7NewsMelbourne
Police make Melbourne arrest over murder of CHERYL GRIMMER, one of Australia's oldest cold cases."

The man has been charged with murder and is expected* to be extradited to Sydney* this week.

The Daily Telegraph understands the man, who works as a security guard and has a grown-up family, was 16 at the time Cheryl went missing.

About 18 months after the little girl vanished from a changing room at the beach, the now-accused man allegedly talked about the crime while in Mt Penang boys home.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...0/news-story/4129a82d4ade67e1dbb52e97c87af117

Holy cow! I love when we see cold cases warm up like this... It offers hope

Hopefully, Cheryl's remains will be returned to her family and they can hold a funeral.

I'm so glad an arrest has been made in this case after such a long time.

Wow!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

congratulations cold case team.
delighted for the grimmer family

This is great news; sad for her parents they didn't live to see this day.
goes to show, it's never too late. Anyone who commits a crime and thinks they get away with it should pay heed to this story and those like it

Not sure what happened with the police conference or why it was mentioned in the link.

However, heres a recent update to the abc link.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-...r-cheryl-grimmer-murder-at-wollongong/8378806

Police arrested a 63-year-old man in Frankston, Melbourne, yesterday and said he would be charged with murder and abduction.
He faced Frankston Magistrates Court where police successfully sought his extradition to New South Wales.
"He'll return this afternoon to Wollongong and I can tell you that he will face Wollongong Local Court tomorrow morning," Detective Inspector Brad Ainsworth from the Wollongong LAC said.
"I'm not going to get into the specifics of the actual details of the offences but I can say that they are quite horrific and they will be [revealed] tomorrow at court."

Wow. Fantastic work NSW Police! Sincere condolences to Cheryl's family. :rose:

Sounds as though they will be unable to retrieve Cheryl's remains, but finally some results for them instead of forever wondering!

Det Insp Ainsworth told reporters it would be 'fantastic' if they could recover Cheryl's remains, but said it is unlikely as the area was now 'residential housing'.

The Detective Inspector said it was believed Cheryl was taken from the front of the surf club, not the back as originally thought .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Father-accused-murdering-Cheryl-Grimmer.html

the police have said basically that Cheryl's remains will never be found... destroyed by the urban development of the once rural area in the past 47 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back