Australia Australia - Jenny Cook, 29, Townsville, Qld, 19 Jan 2009

Lol, thanks laserdisc. I'm all over this like white on rice, aren't I? XD

It's just all beyond belief and there's so much "wtf" involved.. . I think I am motivated by sheer outrage.

From below link:
Police also didn't conduct further DNA analysis on the knife, which was tightly bound with string and tape and wedged between a security screen and wall, did not search for the string and tape in the house, or examine Mrs Cook's numerous diaries for signs she was contemplating suicide, or investigate if she could lift the piece of plywood her body was found on.

That isn't just a few minor errors. That's massive! You really need to wonder what was going on there.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...nnys-voice-heard/story-fnjfzs7u-1226777399772

Lol, thanks laserdisc. I'm all over this like white on rice, aren't I? XD

It's just all beyond belief and there's so much "wtf" involved.. . I think I am motivated by sheer outrage.

Outrage and disbelief. It would only be believable, imo, if it were a tv show about deep-south police corruption in one of those places where the sheriff and his deputies are elected and owned by the big cigar-chewing Colonel Saunders type guys played by Burl Ives back in the 1950's

How could this happen in Townsville today? It's received so little media attention, I hadn't even heard of this case

Outrage and disbelief. It would only be believable, imo, if it were a tv show about deep-south police corruption in one of those places where the sheriff and his deputies are elected and owned by the big cigar-chewing Colonel Saunders type guys played by Burl Ives back in the 1950's

How could this happen in Townsville today? It's received so little media attention, I hadn't even heard of this case

It's interesting it's taken the Sydney Morning Herald to pick it up again - not a Qld paper.

And yes, you're completely right. Tis really frightening to me that these kind of things STILL go on!!

Detective Senior Constable Damien Cotter, Det Sen Sgt Osborn's partner, said he formed the view Mrs Cook's death was a suicide after Professor David Williams gave a verbal preliminary report that her wound was "consistent" with a self-inflicted injury.

Barrister Marjorie Pagani, for Mrs Cook's parents, asked whether the wound could also be consistent with a person being pushed on to a knife. He replied "yes".

A NSW forensic officer also could not rule out the possibility she was pushed on to the knife.

Police released the scene shortly after hearing Prof William's preliminary findings -- less than 20 hours after the first call to triple zero

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/how-did-jenny-cook-die/story-fnjfzs4b-1226771779492

bbm

I can't believe what I'm reading

It was revealed police never investigated Mr Cook's movements on the day his wife died, or confirmed his version of events, whether he had any financial motive, or if he was having any extra-marital affairs

Mr Cook was asked if he played a role in his wife's death. He said "no".

He was questioned about his relationship with a female colleague, *referred to only as the "unnamed *female".

Phone records show he made 52 texts or calls to the woman in the six weeks before his wife's death. He made only 14 contacts with his wife, by text or call, between November 3, 2008 and January 19, 2009.

He denied having an extra-marital affair with the unnamed woman but a friend confirmed they had a physical relationship in the weeks after his wife's death

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/how-did-jenny-cook-die/story-fnjfzs4b-1226771779492

The case was closed so quickly - crime scene released and autopsy completed in record time if you ask me. The destruction of the knife is just astounding. I would have thought that evidence of any sort would be kept for a decent length of time, if not indefinitely, these days? It seems strange to me that a local detective would have the authority to order the destruction of evidence? That string would have been loaded with evidence - covered in the skin cells of whoever wound it tightly around the knife handle. If it had been tested in several areas within the binding they could have established if anyone other than Jenny had used it. Likewise for the tape.

It also seems a bit dodgy that there were absolutely no prints around the window or screen frame -
how could it be wedged so firmly into place without some sort of contact being made??

The case was closed so quickly - crime scene released and autopsy completed in record time if you ask me. The destruction of the knife is just astounding. I would have thought that evidence of any sort would be kept for a decent length of time, if not indefinitely, these days? It seems strange to me that a local detective would have the authority to order the destruction of evidence? That string would have been loaded with evidence - covered in the skin cells of whoever wound it tightly around the knife handle. If it had been tested in several areas within the binding they could have established if anyone other than Jenny had used it. Likewise for the tape.

It also seems a bit dodgy that there were absolutely no prints around the window or screen frame -
how could it be wedged so firmly into place without some sort of contact being made??

I find it very hard to believe that a Detective Sergeant doesn't know better than this. A rookie I'd understand, but even a rookie would know deaths need to be thoroughly investigated, particularly one like this with such a bizarre cause of death, especially if it seems like suicide.

To state the outrageously obvious - this has COVER UP written all over it!!:furious:

What an absolute disgrace!

Is there anything we can do? Or any group of people? So glad her poor parents haven't given up.....

Const Bower obtained from Mr Cook and gave to the paramedics a list of Ms Cook’s medications, being Oxynorm, Norethisterone, Prochlorperazine and Zentel.

Oxynorm - Oxycodone brand name. Powerful opiate-derived painkiller, powerful enough that if you wanted to kill yourself, this would be the drug to use.

Norethisterone - a synthetic hormone which "can be used to treat premenstrual syndrome, painful periods, abnormal heavy bleeding, irregular periods, menopausal syndrome (in combination with oestrogen), or to postpone a period. It is also commonly used to help prevent uterine hemorrhage in complicated non-surgical or pre-surgical gynecologic cases."

Prochlorperazine - a powerful antipsychotic; rarely prescribed for psychosis these days, more often as a treatment for nausea. Prochlorperazine oral (taken by mouth) is used to treat schizophrenia. It is also used to treat non-psychotic anxiety, and to control severe nausea and vomiting.

Zentel - worming tablets.

....no mention of hayfever or asthma drugs at all... despite that they were the only drugs (aside from 'a little alcohol') found in Jenny's system.

I think there's a miniscule chance of suicide, but this is just bizarre and can't think of anyone sending themselves off in this way.

From what i understand of the coroner's report, it should be investigated but they've destroyed/returned/not gathered the evidence so there's zero chance of ever bringing a case to trial. Another family left without justice. I'm sorry Jenny.

Marlywings, could we start a media/docs thread for Jenny's case please?
Does everyone else think that would be useful? I know this thread is only new - but I've already been going back trying to find things for another read.

Detective Osborn is not looking good in the Coroner's Inquest information - some of the findings really are jaw dropping stuff:

Osborn said that she assumed that if the SOCOs at the scene had found anything of
interest they would have told her.
Osborn said she never inspected the knife and did not view the photos of the scene
(including the knife) and so, did not know, until a few days before the inquest, that the
handle of the knife was wrapped with string and tape.
When asked how she could have determined the matter was a suicide when she had
not even confirmed the version of the only possible suspect, Osborn stated that she
made the decision based on the evidence at the scene (which she had already
admitted she had not looked at) and the results of the post mortem. She said the
possibility that the death was a homicide had been removed completely at that time
(less than 20 hours after the death had been reported to police).
DS Osborn stated she now realises that the knife should have been retained for the
reason that the family may have wanted tests done on it.

Osborn agreed that she had carried out no investigations into the financial affairs of
the Cooks including whether Mr Cook would have gained financially from the death of
Ms Cook.
Osborn said that she did not recall looking at Ms Cook’s diary (which was seized
from the house and later returned to Mr Cook).
She saw the plywood board under Ms Cook’s body but did not enquire or look into
where it had come from, how it came to be there and whether Ms Cook had the
capacity, considering her back injury, to move it.
Osborn said that she wouldn’t have considered seizing the board because it was big
and covered in blood

bbm - wtf

Osborn said that she would have coordinated the search of the house but could not
recall which rooms she or the other officers searched. She didn’t know if all of the
Findings of the inquest into the death of Jenny Lee Cook 21rooms had been searched. She didn’t recall anyone other than her and Cotter
searching the house (this is incorrect as Gatehouse and McLucas also searched).
Osborn said that she had considered the sheet and tie on Ms Cook’s head and was
of the opinion that she had been blindfolded but didn’t think that fact put the death in
the suspicious category.

Ok I know I should stop there, or I'll be pasting the entire doc here, but sheesh!

'

I find it very hard to believe that a Detective Sergeant doesn't know better than this. A rookie I'd understand, but even a rookie would know deaths need to be thoroughly investigated, particularly one like this with such a bizarre cause of death, especially if it seems like suicide.

Most people would know better than this just from watching tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just having a google and wondered if DSS Osborn had a promotion recently? In previous press she's just DS Osborn. If she has I hope she's no longer managing crime scenes.

Marlywings, could we start a media/docs thread for Jenny's case please?
Does everyone else think that would be useful? I know this thread is only new - but I've already been going back trying to find things for another read.

Detective Osborn is not looking good in the Coroner's Inquest information - some of the findings really are jaw dropping stuff:

bbm - wtf

Ok I know I should stop there, or I'll be pasting the entire doc here, but sheesh!

'

How did she ever become a police officer? What are the required qualifications/tests in Qld to join the police force?

I could possibly accept that he didn't see the blood on her before calling the ambulance. However if you found someone on the ground like that, before you called anyone you would go and touch them to see if they were breathing or if their heart was beating. A medical person might check the wrist or neck for a pulse but the average person is checking their chest IMO. How could he have checked his wife enough to know she needed an ambulance and not felt the wetness of the blood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He would have had regular first aid training being a
prison guard

To state the outrageously obvious - this has COVER UP written all over it!!:furious:

What an absolute disgrace!

Is there anything we can do? Or any group of people? So glad her poor parents haven't given up.....

Most of the online news media solicits news items: Mail Online included

This needs splashing all over the place imo

If the husband has never been charged, there's nothing to stop police from doing it now (is there?)

And the so-called police involved need factoring in, imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aimilino01
Back