Australia Australia - Jenny Cook, 29, Townsville, Qld, 19 Jan 2009

He would have had regular first aid training being a
prison guard

He still wouldn't be doing medical checks regularly though. It wasn't a routine thing for him.

Editing to add this is in relation to my last post where I said most non medical people would check the chest area for heartbeat so how did he not feel the blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He still wouldn't be doing medical checks regularly though. It wasn't a routine thing for him.

Checking for a pulse, touching to see if the person is still warm isn't something that would change from one training session to the next

People with no training at all could check for a pulse, touch to see if the person was warm or not

I'm not even going to go down the excuse-road for him

Checking for a pulse, touching to see if the person is still warm isn't something that would change from one training session to the next

People with no training at all could check for a pulse, touch to see if the person was warm or not

I'm not even going to go down the excuse-road for him

What excuse did I make for him?

I am saying how did he not feel the blood?

What excuse did I make for him?

I am saying how did he not feel the blood?

I don't recollect saying you were making excuses for him. Do you?

I said I will not go down the excuse-road for him

Does anyone know if there is some kind of rule existing (perhaps even unwritten) about media coverage of suicide cases? I ask because I have been told that Australian news outlets do not as a rule publish stories about suicides (unless of course the person is unfortunate to be a public figure, then they are all over it). I know a few years back someone I knew went missing while hiking up a small local mountain (a popular walking destination), and was found deceased at the bottom after a considerable fall. Rumour had it that she had taken her own life, but I was never quite sure about this and I certainly wasn't going to ask her family or friends. I did search local media a bit, but never found anything more than her funeral notice - not even a story about an anonymous woman having a fatal accident while hiking at that location. There was no mention of a tragic accident or anything similar during her funeral service either.

Also when I was living in a more rural area, someone intentionally drove into a power pole about 30 metres up the road from my place. His sudden acceleration right outside my bedroom gave me a start, and then of course there was a loud crash and we lost power. Emergency crews and trucks worked noisily in the area all night, and we all knew what had happened - but again, it was never mentioned in local media.
So, as unbelievable as it sounds, I have wondered if our media either self monitors, or is forbidden from reporting on such cases? In Jenny's case, it would have meant that the story was not aired in public, so there wasn't any outrage or suspicion about how the case was handled perhaps?

Catswhiskers, I tried selecting your final paragraph to put in quotes, but for some reason, your entire post lands itself into the reply box

You may have tipped the reason this has been kept quiet for so long, although the Townsville media and SMH ran articles, so it's difficult to tell what's gone on with this case

If for the reasons you suggest though, all I have to say is 'How convenient' for certain individuals involved

Time for action though I think. We need to bring this case to the attention of the media and public, whatever it takes, imo. It's ghastly beyond words what went on in Townsville

It is convenient alright - also convenient that she had a history of depression and illness, and that there are reasons to believe their relationship was on shaky ground. Her husband did himself no favours announcing that his marriage was over on the day Jenny died (if I have read and recalled that correctly). Also the rapid access to her super funds, sale of the house, making a new relationship public etc make him look very suss.

We need DrWatson's input about the autopsy findings! :)

It would be great to tip off one of the journalists who were on top of ABC's story about this case if they haven't already heard of it.

What a strange case! DS Osborn needs to be investigated a lot more fully IMO. Something totally suss there. Secondly I'm thinking that Jenny was stabbed and then placed on the board. Note the wheelbarrow in the diagram posted above. There is no mention of that ever being tested. Was she placed in the wheelbarrow and then laid out on that board. The knife then placed where it was found to make it look like a suicide? And the sheet and tie around her neck! Totally bizarre and not something that someone would do when preparing to kill themselves. It is a commonly held belief among police investigators that a murderer will often cover the face of their victim, especially if they are known or close to them.

Evidently the police commissioner doesn't want to "consider" what the Coroner suggests here......I can't believe Osborn got a promotion after all of this!!!:gaah:

Ms Bentley did not find the actions of lead investigator, Detective Sergeant Kay Osborn, amounted to official misconduct but said the police commissioner should consider whether her actions amounted to non-compliance of police policy or if action should be taken with regards to the inadequacy of the *investigation.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...nnys-voice-heard/story-fnjfzs7u-1226777399772

At 135cm above the heels, the wound passed right downwards and backwards to penetrate the lung to a depth of 7cm. The wound also penetrated a branch of pulmonary artery within the left lung.

Some random thoughts here, from a severely medically ignorant person:

-- "downwards"? I hope somebody with medical knowledge can chime in here. But - if the wound goes 'downwards' that means the weapon was pointing downwards, doesn't it? Is that a bit weird, where the person impales themselves? I mean, would they not have to somehow move pretty hard toward the weapon to get that 7cm depth, while somehow angling themselves 'upward' at it? idk..

-- 2nd and 3rd ribs - is kind of low? Unless she wanted to die from a punctured lung (omg painful) - If you wanted to die quickly via a single impaled stab wound, wouldn't you try higher - ie, for the heart?

-- Jenny was wearing a t-shirt. It's very unusual for a suicidal stabbing to be done through clothing, so much so that removal of the clothing is a known sign of suicide (rather than homicide where a killer won't go to the trouble). Would this hold true for impalement, I wonder?

-- Would a suicide really hood themselves before throwing themselves on a knife? If it's true that the vast majority of suicidal stabbings remove the clothes over the intended wound site (so they can see what they're doing) then doesn't tying a sheet over one's head kind of make things hard that way?

-- I totally can see now (in my head) how the sheet was... like a sack over head, I think, tied around the neck by the robe cord. Would a suicidal person REALLY neglect to remove their sun hat before doing this?

There's no way this is suicide IMO. It's not even a particularly intelligent attempt to make it look like suicide - it's all so off-the-wall and obvious.

But - for some unfathomable reason - whoever murdered Jenny has completely gotten away with it.

Until now.

Bring it on!!!:jail:

omg, the wheelbarrow! I was so going to say something about this earlier, but forgot.. idk why but I keep staring at it, LOL.

To me wearing shorts, t-shirt, sun hat and taking hayfever meds + nearby wheelbarrow = gardening. Not so much suicide.

What a strange case! DS Osborn needs to be investivated a lot more fully IMO. Something totally suss there. Secondly I'm thinking that Jenny was stabbed and then placed on the board. Note the wheelbarrow in the diagram posted above. There is no mention of that ever being tested. Was she placed in the wheelbarrow and then laid out on that board. The knife then placed where it was found to make it look like a suicide? And the sheet and tie around her neck! Totally bizarre and not something that someone would do when preparing to kill themselves. It is a commonly held belief among police investigators that a murderer will often cover the face of their victim, especially if they are known or close to them.

Absolutely, Makara! I'm still reading the FBI profiler book - and he's said that very thing repeatedly. An experienced criminal profiler would have a field-day with the symbolism and meaning of this death.........

What a strange case! DS Osborn needs to be investivated a lot more fully IMO. Something totally suss there. Secondly I'm thinking that Jenny was stabbed and then placed on the board. Note the wheelbarrow in the diagram posted above. There is no mention of that ever being tested. Was she placed in the wheelbarrow and then laid out on that board. The knife then placed where it was found to make it look like a suicide? And the sheet and tie around her neck! Totally bizarre and not something that someone would do when preparing to kill themselves. It is a commonly held belief among police investigators that a murderer will often cover the face of their victim, especially if they are known or close to them.

I think we could say with some certainty that the wheelbarrow wasn't treated as evidence and tested. I was also surprised to read that the doctor who performed the autopsy simply concluded that the wounds were consistent with suicide. I seriously doubt he would have ever examined a suicide victim with a wound caused by a large knife jammed into a window frame where the victim had propelled themselves onto the knife with the force and/or speed required to kill themselves. It's a mighty strange conclusion to reach imo.

It's such a strange and grotesque way to suggest this young woman would have taken her own life. Why that way? Why outside the house in broad daylight, on a board, wrapped in plastic with a makeshift hood on her head?
Why dressed in exercise gear and a sun hat!! Good grief.

Oh boy, you guys post fast! I'm amazed at all the posts while I have been typing! Awesome!!!!!! So glad there's interest in this one.

Does anyone think it *could have* been a suicide?

No, not in the slightest.

omg, the wheelbarrow! I was so going to say something about this earlier, but forgot.. idk why but I keep staring at it, LOL.

To me wearing shorts, t-shirt, sun hat and taking hayfever meds + nearby wheelbarrow = gardening. Not so much suicide.

bbm Exactly.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holliryann