Australia Australia - Prabhdeep Srawn, 25, Canadian, Snowy Mtns, NSW, 13 May 2013

I believe the reason for the scale back of searching would be the terrain and danger of searchers also becoming lost / in trouble.

Although we are still getting some beautiful weather in oz right now, the nights in this area would be very cold..

Not that it excuses the scaled down search

Mt Kosciuszko national park covers an area of 6900 kilometres

6900km = 4287mi 811.73yd

thats a lot of terrain to search even in the best of weather and the safety of searchers has to be the highest priority.

current weather and forecast
http://ozforecast.com.au/cgi-bin/weather.cgi?station=Mt+Kosciuszko.NSW

New Update: ABC News Australia

Now the fiance of Mr Srawn's sister, Karndeep Sandhu, says there is new information about where his phone last sent a signal.

He says Mr Srawn's mobile-service provider has found the last signal was sent from the west face of Mount Townsend.

The location has a 2 kilometre radius of accuracy.

Mr Sandhu says the area identified is where his family believes Mr Srawn went missing.

Hmmm... I posted way back that he may have a little too far west because of discrepancies in maps. But I wonder when he used his phone?

Ruby Singh-Sahota's letter of request to the Australian High Commission:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/147393080/Request-to-the-Australian-HC

An extract from the letter:
Requesting that the the NSW Police authorize all available and willing volunteer search and rescue resources to aid the search including search dogs and trained mountain rescue and bushwalking staff, to search all key areas of interest to the extent in which they are each comfortable so that areas which have not yet been explored or fully investigated by foot by either the NSW Search and Rescue team or the private search and rescue efforts can be covered. To date, Superintendent Shane Box of the NSW Police has refused to authorize any volunteer search and rescue teams to offer their skill and ability to private search and rescue efforts.
Ensuring that the NSW police and other authorities give the private search and rescue teams priority in all requests that require authority or information from the local police and other government agencies so that urgent needs to facilitate the private search are not carelessly hindered or delayed.
Ensuring that private search and rescue helicopters are granted permission to drop off supplies and personnel in key areas so that essential daylight hours are maximized to search remote areas that are key to finding Prabh.
Granting the private search and rescue efforts unrestricted access to the park. Currently, private search and rescue staff are advised as to what time they may access the park and when they are required to return, even when the public and those not involved in the search are not so restricted.

Is this the same area they have been searching for a month? Maybe he didn't stay there - which can be a mistake if you're lost.

Is this the same area they have been searching for a month? Maybe he didn't stay there - which can be a mistake if you're lost.

Yes, from what I can see on the videos posted and information posted they have been in that area. I had wondered if he hadn't also kept moving - to find shelter, food or water. He would have been confident that he could survive under the harsh circumstances - but I wonder if he was on the move at night.

I wonder what he survival guide says about how to keep safe from exposure? If he couldn't find a cave would he have not maybe dug or made a cover or gone into trees - depending on if he was injured or not. Im sure the family must also be looking for clues as to where he might have passed through or any unusual disturbed terrain.
Its a worry though they they found his water bottle.

Oh I didn't know his bottle was found! I missed that. That's not good is it? :(

Mt Kosciuszko national park covers an area of 6900 kilometres

6900km = 4287mi 811.73yd

thats a lot of terrain to search even in the best of weather and the safety of searchers has to be the highest priority.

current weather and forecast
http://ozforecast.com.au/cgi-bin/weather.cgi?station=Mt+Kosciuszko.NSW

Noted...

You'll also see that I said the reason search has been scaled down is due to safety issues for searchers..

I still do disagree that search shouldn't be scaled down, because if that was one of my family I'd want people searching as long as possible (within safety guidelines of course)

Our Australian terrain & creatures are very unforgiving, holding out hope they find him soon

Ruby Singh-Sahota's letter of request to the Australian High Commission:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/147393080/Request-to-the-Australian-HC

An extract from the letter:

Whilst I understand the families heartache and concern, I think the wording towards the Nsw police could be better put..

I find the wording of the letter in relation to our NSW police efforts quite rude and it probably won't help relations between NSW police and the family..

On another note I'd like to know what he had in his survival guide as to if he became lost/injured/disorientated out there.. I used to bush walk and camp as a kid and vividly remember my parents packing me a survival backpack of blanket, jumpers, pants, water bottles, firelighters and matches... And telling me in no uncertain terms to stay put, find a safe place in the location to start a fire and light up..

mikkismom said:
Canadian Army members to join search for missing bushwalker Prahdeep Srawn

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-1...walker/4754816

Thanks for the link!
I added another one at the bottom of the post - video.

More news - a little older 10th June 2013 - but I thought I would add it.
There must be some evidence somewhere of where he was/is.
I hope they find something that will give them a clue.

Source: LINK
Mr Sahota says the family has not given up hope of finding Mr Srawn.

"We maintain some evidence has to turn up. He just can't disappear into thin air. That's physically impossible," he said.

"There has to be some evidence of him on that mountain. Our conviction tells us that he's going to be alive, but we're looking for some sort of evidence, but until we get that evidence, we're not going to quit on this."

However Mr Sahota says only experienced hikers should take-up the reward offer.

A Skype report about the arrival of the Canadian Army Personel
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Hamilton/ID/2391347500/

Full report here: LINK
Peter Hadfield, a freelance journalist in Sydney, Australia told the CBC, that the soldiers plan to go out into the search area for about two weeks. He said, "they are arriving here on Sunday and they're going straight up to the search area. They're carrying with them camping equipment, cold weather equipment."

The members of the Canadian Armed Forces are reported to arrive today (Sunday).
The weather has been behaving itself - though there is snow.

A VIEW FROM MT. KOSCIUSZKO -The Live Cams:LINK

The Thredbo weather report site:LINK

Help Find Prabhdeep Srawn facebook page

I would like to see the same amount of members of the Australian Armed Forces join together with the Canadian Team to really boost this search.
I am in admiration that these guys have come half way around the world to look for Prabhdeep.

I pray they have a safe and successful search.

This is old news, but haven't seen it posted here, or perhaps it has, and I missed it.
Apologies if that is the case.
New clue in search for missing Snowy Mountains bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn

Updated Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:41pm AEST

Now the fiance of Mr Srawn's sister, Karndeep Sandhu, says there is new information about where his phone last sent a signal.

He says Mr Srawn's mobile-service provider has found the last signal was sent from the west face of Mount Townsend.

The location has a 2 kilometre radius of accuracy.

Mr Sandhu says the area identified is where his family believes Mr Srawn went missing.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-11/new-clue-man-missing-snowy-mountains/4746330

Canadian Team ready to search!
from the FB page: LINK

936423_573681499342430_1152965910_n.jpg

What ever help you need from whatever source you ask from - may it be granted to you on your search for Prabh.

A new article in ABC News Australia:
LINK

Extracts:
"We're not treating this like a recovery, we're treating it like a search and rescue at this point. I think as a family maybe we'll always think of it that way" - Prabhdeep Srawn's sister Mandeep Srawn speaks to Hamish Macdonald.

After a search effort failed to find any trace of him police scaled back their operations. Since then 12 members of the Canadian army have flown in to conduct their own search of the Snowy Mountains.

"(But) I have an issue with the people calling the shots and searching in certain areas that doesn't make sense to me and calling off the search so early. They told us on the 14th day that he wouldn't have been able to survive for 14 days so they were going to scale back and call off the search which I think is absolutely ridiculous.

"Our family is amazing. They've been trying to work through every channel and every outlet they could to get this story out, to get as much help as possible," she said.
Asked about how her family is holding up Mandeep said "we're devastated... we're in foreign grounds and we don't understand the way things work".

Sending out good wishes for all the searchers and for PS and his family and friends!
Hope they find him soon!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back