Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've actually been strangled before, on more than one occasion. I've recorded it, during a domestic violence episode. It sounded the same. I believe she was being strangled/choked or whatever you'd like to call it, either with an arm or something else.

Also, I never had a mark on me, yet I could not breath. It's amazing how much someone can do to you and not leave a mark, trust me.

I'm sorry that happened to you, Freya. Thank you for sharing, I didn't mean to diminish your experience, just point out that the focus on 'strangling' and the lack of tissue damage seems to somehow get him off the hook for physical intimidation in the minds of some.

I've actually been strangled before, on more than one occasion. I've recorded it, during a domestic violence episode. It sounded the same. I believe she was being strangled/choked or whatever you'd like to call it, either with an arm or something else.

Also, I never had a mark on me, yet I could not breath. It's amazing how much someone can do to you and not leave a mark, trust me.

So sorry to hear that Freya....hope your in a good place now.

Do you think he genuinely thought she would jump off or attempt the impossible, climbing down from the 14th floor - pretty much the same as jumping off.

No, it really isn't. "Jumping off" is a suicidal act.

Climbing down is an (unwise, drunk, panicked) act of self preservation.

Why would she have been that scared, seeing as he was behind a locked glass door at the time? Why didn't this obviously very feisty little woman get mad and demand he let her the hell back in, get all her stuff and go, as he demanded? I am seriously asking what you think the reason for that is.

Edited to add: there's been claims Warriena "did not ask for help". -- According to a male witness, she *did*, in the moment before she lost her grip. So that puts that chestnut to bed.

No, it really isn't. "Jumping off" is a suicidal act. Climbing down is an (unwise, panicked) act of self preservation. Why would she have been that scared, seeing as he was behind a locked glass door at the time? Why didn't this obviously very feisty little woman get mad and demand he let her the hell back in, get all her stuff and go, as he demanded? I am seriously asking what you think the reason for that is.
Sorry I don't understand. Are you asking me why I think she attempted to climb down?

Hi Freya, not aiming at you here, just bouncing off your post.

I'm really pissed the word 'strangle' even came up in the court case. If you're being "strangled" you cannot breathe at all, let alone talk. There's a huge chance of tissue damage, bruising, damage to the hyoid, occasionally cricoid cartilege, muscle straps of the neck, etc.

Warriena was both *breathing* -and- *talking* during and after we hear hear that terrible wheezing. She wasn't being 'strangled' or 'choked', she was being intimidated by this man in some manner partially obstructing her airway. A light grip is all that is needed.

Try it on yourself.... grip your throat so that you can't quite breathe freely but can still get a clearly understandable word out. It takes very little pressure... Then check out what marks and damage it leaves you with.

Why this was not raised, and the expert not questioned on it in court I do not know.
I actually did this last night, didnt take much at all. Would have been so easy for him to restrict her breathing, in a number of ways. I really wish they covered this in depth. It's so critical to their case.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I actually did this last night, didnt take much at all. Would have been so easy for him to restrict her breathing, in a number of ways. I really wish they covered this in depth. It's so critical to their case.

I think (and hope) that they may have covered it in more depth than we are aware of. The prosecutor talked for a couple of days, and we only have a small snippet of what was said.
As far as MSM is concerned though, that won't sell newspapers (so to speak).

Freya, thank you for sharing and I'm so sorry that you ever had to experience such horrific acts.

Do you think he genuinely thought she would jump off or attempt the impossible, climbing down from the 14th floor - pretty much the same as jumping off.

If it was so far out of the scope of his imagination, why didn't he run out onto the balcony and check, see if she was laying down in the tanning bed, or hiding on the ledge around the corner

His instant assumption was that she had gone over, meaning he witnessed it or he expected it could happen, from all his comments about the balcony, I believe it was both

Sorry I don't understand. Are you asking me why I think she attempted to climb down?

Sorry, I thought I phrased it pretty clearly.. I'm asking you why you think she was so *scared* as to attempt to climb down, rather than get mad and bang on the door to be let in. Which is, in the face of what a fiesty woman she showed herself to be just minutes before, and hours earlier, kind of strange?

No-one can tell me she wasn't scared -- 33x times "NO" negates that. So why would a guy behind a locked door scare her that much, do you think.

I really wish they covered this in depth. It's so critical to their case.Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
It's completely speculative. It sounds like she's being choked, but it also sounds like she's gagged. An audio recording isn't going to be sufficient evidence to confirm something like strangulation without corroborating evidence such as markings/damage to the victim's neck. And the pathologist found nothing of that nature.

If it was so far out of the scope of his imagination, why didn't he run out onto the balcony and check, see if she was laying down in the tanning bed, or hiding on the ledge around the corner

His instant assumption was that she had gone over, meaning he witnessed it or he expected it could happen, from all his comments about the balcony, I believe it was both

I think he did witness it. He apparently called his lawyer within 50secs of it happening. That doesn't leave a heck of a lot of time to look around, see if Warriena had climbed onto a ledge somewhere, had managed to reach another balcony, was crouched behind the sunbed in the dark. Somehow he knew that she had fallen in that very long drop.

Apparently, the door was not heard to open again ... after he slammed it closed and locked it. And we didn't hear it open again, when we listened to the full recording. Or should I say, the full recording as we know it. There may be more .... somewhere.

Sorry, I thought I phrased it pretty clearly.. I'm asking you why you think she was so *scared* as to attempt to climb down, rather than get mad and bang on the door to be let in. Which is, in the face of what a fiesty woman she showed herself to be just minutes before, and hours earlier, kind of strange?

No-one can tell me she wasn't scared -- 33x times "NO" negates that. So why would a guy behind a locked door scare her that much, do you think.

It's a very good question. I'll have to mull it over. I don't know. You would think, considering her behaviour throughout the night she would have got more aggressive after being locked out.

It's a very good question. I'll have to mull it over. I don't know. You would think, considering her behaviour throughout the night she would have got more aggressive after being locked out.

Yes, you would think that she would have had a lot more to say about it, to him. "You can't lock me out here, let me in, give me my stuff, you jerk". She didn't sound like a person who would hold back her thoughts, all throughout that recording. And yet, apparently, she did not even try to get back in.
There is something more to this story. Something Tostee is not revealing, and is invisible in the recording. imo

My thoughts exactly. And why did he leave via basement carpark instead of the foyer as he was going on foot?

You know if you constantly put thoughts into a drunk persons mind like the balcony comments then they can act out on those thoughts. Tostee's constant mentioning of balconies, don't jump etc could of planted the seed for W to act on those thoughts. That makes him culpable in my opinion.

I'm sorry that happened to you, Freya. Thank you for sharing, I didn't mean to diminish your experience, just point out that the focus on 'strangling' and the lack of tissue damage seems to somehow get him off the hook for physical intimidation in the minds of some.

Oh no worries, it doesn't bother me so much anymore. I just wish that it received more attention during the trial, because he was obviously doing something to restrict her breathing, IMO :(

You know if you constantly put thoughts into a drunk persons mind like the balcony comments then they can act out on those thoughts. Tostee's constant mentioning of balconies, don't jump etc could of planted the seed for W to act on those thoughts. That makes him culpable in my opinion.

Now he's the mentalist?

Could her decision to climb over just be bravado or drunken courage?

[video=twitter;787802400849473536]https://twitter.com/GregStolzJourno/status/787802400849473536[/video]

Oh no worries, it doesn't bother me so much anymore. I just wish that it received more attention during the trial, because he was obviously doing something to restrict her breathing, IMO :(

Yeah, I wish so too.

zedz, cheers, I do think it's a good question, looking forward to your thoughts. Re "gagging" though - yes, there was something over her mouth at one stage, that's pretty clear, but something over the mouth doesn't make those throaty wheezes that are also very clear.

I have wondered if she was face down, with him on her back, maybe putting pressure on the back of her neck? I don't really wanna re-enact this one, moving boxes has done my back in this week. Maybe he just had one hand on her neck, one over her mouth, idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther