AZ AZ - Bullhead City, WhtFem UP11087, 17-19, shallow grave vacant lot, purse, clothes, May'89

I'm curious to know why she's listed as white. We are so close to all borders here. Many of my friends look just like this picture, and are Navajo, or Mexican. Btw, all dental work is free at the Indian clinic 30 minutes from this location.

There are generally skeletal markers that are more common to one group or another, like the well-known shovel teeth for people with Native American ancestry. But it's not one hundred percent reliable and often wrong, so I wouldn't rule out anybody local.

Submitted Andrea Joy Hall of California as a potential match and found out from the Doe Network she's been excluded by dental comparison. It was worth a shot, though.

On another note, they sent my potential match of Anna Marie Anderson to law enforcement and today they posted she'd been ruled out by dental X-Rays.

List of rule outs for "Castleberry Kate" as of 20 September 2017:
  • Anna Anderson 1964 California
  • Amy Billig 1957 Florida
  • Tara Calico 1969 New Mexico
  • Miram Cavallo 1964 California
  • Carla Corley 1965 Alabama
  • Barbara Cotton 1965 North Dakota
  • Carol Donn 1963 Florida
  • Michelle Duncan 1966 California
  • Debra Frost 1967 Utah
  • Andrea Hall 1960 California
  • Ashley Higgins 1962 California
  • Rochelle Ihm 1966 Arizona
  • Cynthia Leslie 1959 Arizona
  • Jackie Leslie 1961 Arizona
  • Connie Minchaca 1960 California
  • Rhonda Sansovitch 1961 Oregon
  • Wilma Vermaas 1952 California
  • Amy Yachimec 1968 Arizona

I've been looking around a bit on the diffent missing persons databases and going solely on looks that I think matches "Castleberry Kate" and cases where timeline, height, haircolor and basic information adds up somewhat, and in my opinion these girls have a resemblance to the picture of her:

Susan Robin Bender
Diana Ladene Munyon
Diane Genice Dye
Kimberly Ann Kahler
Ruth Ann Leamon
Mary Jo Lee Long

I can's seem to find any information regarding if they have been ruled out or not. Does anyone know? Unnecessary to apply someone already ruled out.

I've been looking around a bit on the diffent missing persons databases and going solely on looks that I think matches "Castleberry Kate" and cases where timeline, height, haircolor and basic information adds up somewhat, and in my opinion these girls have a resemblance to the picture of her:

Susan Robin Bender
Diana Ladene Munyon
Diane Genice Dye
Kimberly Ann Kahler
Ruth Ann Leamon
Mary Jo Lee Long

I can's seem to find any information regarding if they have been ruled out or not. Does anyone know? Unnecessary to apply someone already ruled out.

Namus listings often have ruleouts listed: https://identifyus.org/cases/11087

BTW, she was just the first body found in the yard there has since been another found..... while I was putting up my dog run. I have lived at 1943 Castleberry Ln. for the past 7 years. And accidentally found out about Castleberry Kate through a newspaper article. I was truly hoping somebody would have found out who either of them are.

Has it ever been considered Castleberry Kate was Native American? Her hair color and facial features (although approximate) are very similar to Native Americans.

1329UFAZ - Unidentified Female

1329UFAZ.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim by NCMEC

Date of Discovery: May 15, 1989
Location of Discovery: Bullhead City, Mohave County, Arizona
Estimated Date of Death: 1979-1987
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Homicide

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 17-19 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'5" to 5'9"
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Dark to medium brown, 12" in length. Some strands appeared to have been bleached at one point.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work. The victim had two upper teeth missing before her death and a partial denture plate was in place.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available. Insufficient DNA for profiling.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Women's clothing (description unavailable).
Jewelry: One owl-shaped, multicolored earring.
Additional Personal Items: A purse (description unavailable).

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's remains were found by construction workers in a shallow grave in a vacant lot near Riverside Drive and Castleberry Lane in Bullhead City, Arizona. She is believed to have died 2-10 years before she was discovered. The victim was nicknamed "Castleberry Kate" by investigators.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Mohave County Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 928-505-5888
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: ML89-0539

NCIC Case Number: U364869190
NamUs Case Number: 11087
NCMEC Case Number: 1184576

1329UFAZ

------

Just noticed Castleberry Kate's DoeNetwork page wasn't posted in the thread.

I just wonder, can her post mortem moniker be included in the thread title? It adds a little personality amongst all the anonymity :)

Probable year of death: 1979 - 1987

She was found at 1943 Castleberry Lane, Bullhead City, AZ (Mohave County) by a construction crew digging a trench for a gas line who located the skeleton buried in a vacant lot.

I'm curious about this as this "vacant lot" thing is simply something we don't have in the UK. Presumably there is some way to find out when the lot was occupied and by whom (local tax records?) and when it was vacant. It seems unlikely that a stranger would choose an occupied lot to bury a body, so either these bodies were buried by a person living on the lot at the time of burial or by a stranger during a period when the lot was unoccupied.

Can we create an occupation history from publicly available records?

The other question I have is how someone would dig two graves, even shallow ones, in such a small area of land without the neighbours noticing. From Google satellite it's clear these are very open plots.

I'm curious about this as this "vacant lot" thing is simply something we don't have in the UK. Presumably there is some way to find out when the lot was occupied and by whom (local tax records?) and when it was vacant. It seems unlikely that a stranger would choose an occupied lot to bury a body, so either these bodies were buried by a person living on the lot at the time of burial or by a stranger during a period when the lot was unoccupied.

Can we create an occupation history from publicly available records?

The other question I have is how someone would dig two graves, even shallow ones, in such a small area of land without the neighbours noticing. From Google satellite it's clear these are very open plots.

a vacant lot is a parcel of land where there is no building. sometimes it was torn down or sometimes it was never built.

a vacant lot is a parcel of land where there is no building. sometimes it was torn down or sometimes it was never built.

Yep, I know what it is but don't know what information might be available to allow someone to pull together a history of the plot.

Here in the UK land that is residential very, very rarely ends up unoccupied simply due to the pressure for housing. Hence it's not something we see except in very remote areas like the Highlands where people have abandoned old crofts and moved to larger communities, or occasionally when a property becomes derelict because the person living there dies and there appear to be no relatives or heirs who can be traced.

BTW, she was just the first body found in the yard there has since been another found..... while I was putting up my dog run. I have lived at 1943 Castleberry Ln. for the past 7 years. And accidentally found out about Castleberry Kate through a newspaper article. I was truly hoping somebody would have found out who either of them are.

Hi and welcome to Websleuths.

Do you know anything more about the second body? Am I reading your post correctly that you found the second body, but didn't know about the first until later?

List of rule outs for "Castleberry Kate" as of 20 September 2017:
  • Anna Anderson 1964 California
  • Amy Billig 1957 Florida
  • Tara Calico 1969 New Mexico
  • Miram Cavallo 1964 California
  • Carla Corley 1965 Alabama
  • Barbara Cotton 1965 North Dakota
  • Carol Donn 1963 Florida
  • Michelle Duncan 1966 California
  • Debra Frost 1967 Utah
  • Andrea Hall 1960 California
  • Ashley Higgins 1962 California
  • Rochelle Ihm 1966 Arizona
  • Cynthia Leslie 1959 Arizona
  • Jackie Leslie 1961 Arizona
  • Connie Minchaca 1960 California
  • Rhonda Sansovitch 1961 Oregon
  • Wilma Vermaas 1952 California
  • Amy Yachimec 1968 Arizona

Dull Meredith from Imperial Valley is ruled out. Interestingly, he's listed as male.

Also ruled out: Patricia Gomez and Stephanie Stroh.

Updated link: Unidentified Person Case

Yep, I know what it is but don't know what information might be available to allow someone to pull together a history of the plot.

Here in the UK land that is residential very, very rarely ends up unoccupied simply due to the pressure for housing. Hence it's not something we see except in very remote areas like the Highlands where people have abandoned old crofts and moved to larger communities, or occasionally when a property becomes derelict because the person living there dies and there appear to be no relatives or heirs who can be traced.

where I live, land is also in high demand (I cant speak for rural AZ) but there are still lots probably because someone is holding onto it to sell for more later. lol good old capitalism.

Hi and welcome to Websleuths.

Do you know anything more about the second body? Am I reading your post correctly that you found the second body, but didn't know about the first until later?
I have learned nothing more about the second body. I found out about Castleberry Kate because she is listed as the oldest unsolved murder in Mohave County. It was an article in the newspaper discussing how we have so many unsolved murders here and unfound bodies due to the fact that this desert is so vast and unoccupied. Also no neighbors saw anything because there was nothing here this entire area was unoccupied vacant for ages. They found her in the front yard up by where they were putting a street in as well as water and gas lines so that they could start building homes.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname