Deceased/Not Found AZ - Jhessye Shockley, 5, Glendale, 11 Oct 2011 - #3 *J. Hunter guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understaffed. Underpaid. Same ole song and dance. We heard it in Christian Choate's case. After his body was discovered, and it was revealed that case workers had visited the home but didn't go inside, and didn't follow up, the Indiana Department of Child Services was "overhauled", too. Wonderful, except that Jhessye and Christian had to die to make it happen.

Agree! How many children have to be sacrificed before changes are made in these agencies???

Understaffed. Underpaid. Same ole song and dance. We heard it in Christian Choate's case. After his body was discovered, and it was revealed that case workers had visited the home but didn't go inside, and didn't follow up, the Indiana Department of Child Services was "overhauled", too. Wonderful, except that Jhessye and Christian had to die to make it happen.

I do understand where the man is coming from. Just look at the things that are cut from budgets. It proves to me that our children are not our priority. They don't vote so they have no voice. Those who choose to work in child services are well educated but extremely underpaid and overworked. I hate to always fault them. The problem is that they visit a home and the child says they "fell" when asked about bruises and lie because they not only fear their parents, but also because they love them. Many times the child prefers to stay with the abusive parent because the alternative-leaving siblings behind, never seeing their parent again, etc.. Is too great to bear.

In Jhessye's case however, there should have been plenty of red flags to warrant more scrutiny. Moms record, the cousins who raised hers fears and the child's own words at the family gathering should have been enough to remove her from the home until the legality of her even being there could be sorted out.

Thank you Knox, for posting that video montage. I had a good cry.

Today, as I give thanks for my many blessings, I will be thankful that our little butterfly was loved, genuinely and fully, at least for the majority of her short life. My thoughts and prayers are with the mother who raised Jhessye on this day, not the monster who gave her live, but the mommy who loved her.

My prayers of thanksgiving will also include all of you here at WS who share my passion for protecting children and my pain at the needless loss of each and every one of our Angels.

sassylynn.....
I'm totally confused as to who this "grandpa" is. Jerice's father is not white. And I thought Shirley Johnson was living in California? so I doubt her husband would be living in Prescott

Why don't they use some of the money(millions) they give these welfare bandits...to fund units to check on people. It's tax payer funds...our money. Designed to "help" not become a lifestyle. right?

It could be two-fold, it could also make sure people are living where they say...and that children are living in decent conditions...going to school, getting medical treatment.
I know I'm dreaming
I'm still very upset by what has happened.

Thank you Knox, for posting that video montage. I had a good cry.

Today, as I give thanks for my many blessings, I will be thankful that our little butterfly was loved, genuinely and fully, at least for the majority of her short life. My thoughts and prayers are with the mother who raised Jhessye on this day, not the monster who gave her live, but the mommy who loved her.

My prayers of thanksgiving will also include all of you here at WS who share my passion for protecting children and my pain at the needless loss of each and every one of our Angels.

Beautiful post tlcox, thank you.

Lynnb......

Now you understand my confusion, concern, and why I called LE.

Shirley may claim living in California and live here because of the child "custody" issues?

"Grandpa" may have been constructing and alibi?

Is "Grandpa" married to the bio dads mom?

Is "Grandpa" married to the current boyfriends mom?

I have too many questions, no answers, and lots of confusion.

sassylynn.....
I'm totally confused as to who this "grandpa" is. Jerice's father is not white. And I thought Shirley Johnson was living in California? so I doubt her husband would be living in Prescott

Sassylynn thank you for posting, but I'm confused too? Who are you talking about?

ETA- Saw your post above sassylynn

Hmmnn, now you have me wondering about something Johnson said. In a video interview she states she comes to visit the kids every two months. Is this because she has a house and a husband in AZ?

Do you happen to know what Gpa does for a living by chance?

Why don't they use some of the money(millions) they give these welfare bandits...to fund units to check on people. It's tax payer funds...our money. Designed to "help" not become a lifestyle. right?

It could be two-fold, it could also make sure people are living where they say...and that children are living in decent conditions...going to school, getting medical treatment.
I know I'm dreaming
I'm still very upset by what has happened.

In Arizona, welfare recipients are restricted to collecting benefits for 12 months total lifetime. (Or at least this is what I was told by DES agent). This keeps many of them moving from state to state, also making them hard to keep track of.

Knox......

The man I spoke with said he used to work construction and retired here.

In Arizona, welfare recipients are restricted to collecting benefits for 12 months total lifetime. (Or at least this is what I was told by DES agent). This keeps many of them moving from state to state, also making them hard to keep track of.

Interesting, thank you. That would certainly make sense of what we suspect was happening. Shirley collecting benefits in California and forwarding to Jerice in Arizona.

I wonder if benefits are tracked via your taxes? Does a welfare recipient receive something similar to a 1099 for the amount of benefits they receive?

OT- You live in a beautiful area SL. I attended a woman's retreat in Prescott several years ago.

2005 Arizona Code - Revised Statutes §46-233 Eligibility for general assistance
A. A person is eligible for general assistance only for a total of twelve months out of each thirty-six consecutive month period unless the person is eligible as an adult caretaker of a person who meets the requirements of paragraph 7. The general assistance shall cease for both a caretaker and noncaretaker upon receipt, denial or termination of federal disability benefits, except that the department shall grant up to an additional six months of general assistance to an eligible person during the period of and from the date the person files an appeal with the social security administration. No person shall be entitled to general assistance who does not meet and maintain the following requirements:
http://law.justia.com/codes/arizona/2005/title46/00233.html

To the best of my knowledge, welfare benefits are not tracked in any way by the IRS, or other government agency, except the ones that you apply too. The way the system works now, and it has not always been this way, you apply, if you receive benefits you are reviewed in 6 months, since there is that lifetime restriction now. But after 12 months, you are still able to collect food stamps and ACCHS (health benefits), but the state has limited ACCHS to only pregnant women and children, they are no longer offering the insurance to adults who do not meet certain criteria.

This leaves the system open to the "breeders" who remain pregnant all the time, then they get their medical and food free, and they get a "man" to look after them, or they move to another state, get false ID, etc.....

OT - I love the area I live in. Been here for 31 years, raised 3 kids, and like the moderate climate, yet being close enough to the desert or the high mountains in Flagstaff, where the rest of my family lives.

I need to correct myself.......

https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=358&id=5270

Currently, the average length of time an adult receives Cash Assistance is 10.4 months. In addition, the federal government has instituted a five-year time limit and the State of Arizona a 24-month limit on Cash Assistance benefits.

But, in order to obtain such benefits, JH would have had to prove that she was the legal guardian of the children. So, that leads me to another question...... Was Shirley, as the legal guardian, collecting on behalf of the kids, and with both parents being "absent", getting extended benefits?

Because the way the law is written, unless we have had another "slip" in the system, JH could not have collected the benefits in Arizona, without somehow cheating the system and falsifying her applications and documentation

TMI, but for anyone who is interested in reading. Looks like they use fingerprinting to avoid duplication/fraud in benefits.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=46

The welfare issue is ancillary to Jhessye, but I'm curious to see how this plays out in the long term. If what we suspect is true, I'm sure the media will let us know.

sassylynn, did Gpa ever mention who the Father of little Jerice is?

Hi There Sassylynn,

Just a quick question: How could this man be her abductor if Jhesseye was in the closet of Jerices' bedroom? Did I miss something? Or do you think he helped with the disposal? TIA

I need to correct myself.......

https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=358&id=5270

Currently, the average length of time an adult receives Cash Assistance is 10.4 months. In addition, the federal government has instituted a five-year time limit and the State of Arizona a 24-month limit on Cash Assistance benefits.

But, in order to obtain such benefits, JH would have had to prove that she was the legal guardian of the children. So, that leads me to another question...... Was Shirley, as the legal guardian, collecting on behalf of the kids, and with both parents being "absent", getting extended benefits?

Because the way the law is written, unless we have had another "slip" in the system, JH could not have collected the benefits in Arizona, without somehow cheating the system and falsifying her applications and documentation

Thinking of how you would prove you are a legal guardian. The application of course would have questions on it. If you checked "Mother" in response to relationship, would there be a need to prove that further? How would you substantiate that? Provide a copy of their registered birth certificate, copy of your tax return? Further all children have social security numbers now from birth.

It would be interesting to know who used the children as dependents on their tax return in 2010. Remember, Jerice got out of prison in May 2010.

Knox....

No he did not. And as I asked him question with each visit, he got strange, and then eventually just disappeared. We have not seen him since about week 3 of the disappearance.

But he did specifically say that the mom of the missing girl was his wife's child, and he generally disliked her.

I just have to say how ironic it would be if Shirley was married to a white man...just saying:innocent:

Thinking of how you would prove you are a legal guardian. The application of course would have questions on it. If you checked "Mother" in response to relationship, would there be a need to prove that further? How would you substantiate that? Provide a copy of their registered birth certificate, copy of your tax return? Further all children have social security numbers now from birth.

I recently seperated from my kids father, after 24 years, 20 of which was a stay at home mom. I was having a hard time finding work, and applied for public assistance.

To receive cash benefits, I had to provide the state with copies of the kids birth certificates and SS cards, as well as a court document that I was the custodial parent. I could not get such benefits, as I was a significant other for 20+ years, never married, and there was no such court document. Thank goodness I had a friend who had to fire an employee and I got the job.

Also, to receive cash benefits, the person has to go through child support enforcement, so that the state can attempt to recoup some of the money they give out, as well as go through the "jobs" program, where they receive job training and help in job searching. There has to be a certain number of hours that a physically capable person must spend searching for work. And a log has to be kept, with contact names for each application you fill out, so that they state can double check your claims and verify that you are not abusing the system.

Come to think of it....we've only ever heard from Shirley that she lives in California haven't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther