Identified! AZ - Yavapai Co, 'Little Miss Nobody', WhtFem 6-7, UP10741, Jul'60 - Sharon Lee Gallegos

The name might be a blessing in disguise; look at all the interest it's generated! While LMN or the two Carl mentioned may not be the most dignified, they certainly stand out and draw more attention than something pleasant, but generic. And I think that's what the Does truly need and benefit from.

I compiled the info below; hope it helps everyone to see she was very loved by the town.

Congress AZ - Age 6-7, "Little Miss Nobody" July 31, 1960

Body of a female child found in Sand Wash/ Creek Bed on Old Alamo Road, partially buried on July 31, 1960. Pathologist believed she had been deceased 1-2 weeks. She had a "full and perfect set of baby teeth."

A campaign for funds to provide a decent burial was spearheaded by Dave Palladin, an announcer at Prescott radio station KYCA. It is how she had become to be known as "Little Miss Nobody". She was adopted by locals who not only paid for her funeral but were there when she was buried. She was truly a "somebody" that day. A card on her small casket bore this inscription "God's little child, date of birth unknown, date of death unknown".

Dave Palladin, a radio announcer with KYCA "couldn't stand to see the little girl buried in a "Boot Hill" (paupers grave). He spearheaded a campaign to get the funds to provide what turned out to be the finest of Christian burials. Prescott's Florist, cemetery operators and Widmer's Mortuary provided the services and burial on Wednesday August 10, 1960.

In a voice choked with emotion, Dr. Charles Franklin Parker of the Congressional Church conducted the rites; adding "Somewhere, someone is watching to learn what happened to a little girl left on the desert. If there has been a misdeed, probably a disquieted conscience will go on and on."

Her funeral was attended by more then 70 mourners.

Sheriff's officers, Newsmen and others worked very hard to find her identity. It's been reported that she was between the ages of 4 1/2 to 7. Sheriff Cramer and law officers traveled hundreds of miles by air and by land following leads. Suspects in other crimes involving small children were also questioned. Sheriff Cramers office in Prescott received dozens of letters, telephone calls and telegrams asking information on the little girl. On Tuesday August 8, 1961; Sheriff Cramer led a party of Law Enforcement Officers and a camera man to film the actual location where the child was found. Later in the afternoon, the Sheriff with George Ireland who was the County Attorney brought out evidence found including the adult sized rubber flip flops which were cut down to her size. The film was shown on television with the hope that someone recognized what he called "fragmentary mementoes of crime" to provide a final solution to the case. Sheriff Cramer felt "somewhere there is someone who has the answer that we have been looking for; maybe this will be the thing that will bring that person forward.

Link to flip flop article. Hoping Carl can clean it up

Attachments

• 1ClueToLittleMissNobodyStillSought11041960.jpg
    1ClueToLittleMissNobodyStillSought11041960.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 51
  • LawmenHopeScreenAudienceIdentifiesClues08101961.JPG
    LawmenHopeScreenAudienceIdentifiesClues08101961.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 48
Been googling 1960s sun suits and trying to get an idea of what she was wearing would like. I see an image of smart in my head but then a contrast with the cut down flip flops (thongs over here) Would that be a common item of clothing worn where she was found? What about the footwear? Was common for little girls to have red nail polish & their toenails done at that time? She had a perfect set of baby teeth. That suggests to me someone cared about her. Are her family somewhere buried also? Is that why no-one has claimed her? I cannot see any images of what she wore on the net except for the flip flops. Little Miss Nobody is heartbreaking. We have to find out more about her....

Been googling 1960s sun suits and trying to get an idea of what she was wearing would like. I see an image of smart in my head but then a contrast with the cut down flip flops (thongs over here) Would that be a common item of clothing worn where she was found? What about the footwear? Was common for little girls to have red nail polish & their toenails done at that time? She had a perfect set of baby teeth. That suggests to me someone cared about her. Are her family somewhere buried also? Is that why no-one has claimed her? I cannot see any images of what she wore on the net except for the flip flops. Little Miss Nobody is heartbreaking. We have to find out more about her....

Would need people to break out pics from the late 50's/ early 60's to see if anyone had clothing like that. I was born in 65; do not have family photos before that
Clothing: A sun suit consisting of white (or pink) shorts and a contrasting blouse with a distinctive chain design, and a pair of adult size flip flops that had been cut down to the victim's size.

Sunsuits were sleeveless, one piece summer outfits. They were a very popular style for little girls in the early 60's (I am slightly older than Roselvr.) They usually had elastic around the legs, which would make the bottom part of the outfit puff/bubble out slightly. Some styles had elastic around the waist as well. Sunsuits could be decorated with ruffles or lace. According to my mom the sunsuits were very, very cute but not very practical if they got wet-the water would cause the outfit to droop if the sunsuit got wet.
Here is a link to give an idea of sunsuits: http://charmingnecessities.com/category_92/Retro-Sunsuits.htm

Here's another link to show an elastic waist: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/6473993187439338/
I found it interesting that the second link mentions that flip-flops combined with sunsuits "were a Southern little girl's summer wardrobe" (BBM)

Sunsuits were sleeveless, one piece summer outfits. They were a very popular style for little girls in the early 60's (I am slightly older than Roselvr.) They usually had elastic around the legs, which would make the bottom part of the outfit puff/bubble out slightly. Some styles had elastic around the waist as well. Sunsuits could be decorated with ruffles or lace. According to my mom the sunsuits were very, very cute but not very practical if they got wet-the water would cause the outfit to droop if the sunsuit got wet.
Here is a link to give an idea of sunsuits: http://charmingnecessities.com/category_92/Retro-Sunsuits.htm

Here's another link to show an elastic waist: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/6473993187439338/
I found it interesting that the second link mentions that flip-flops combined with sunsuits "were a Southern little girl's summer wardrobe" (BBM)

I'm not sure if she was wearing a one piece "sun suit" that had a solid color "shorts" bottom with a print top or if they're describing shorts with a tank top.

Attachments

• a1d4bf0208fca1b1e19f0a36dfbe471e.jpg
    a1d4bf0208fca1b1e19f0a36dfbe471e.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 396
Now this is awesome information & the sunsuit description was getting me confused because they suggested sunsuit in article but it sounded like it was separate pieces and the sunsuit above seems to be designed for toddlers. I was born in 69 and am a product of tragic crochet and terry towelling outfits in summer as a kid lol. The whole picture jars with me. It seems a little too early in the piece for a hippie life, mind you the clothing doesn't seem to fit that either. They thought she was younger to start, i can't picture her being ill and her carers no longer able to care for her and were desperate & not thinking. She doesn't seem to have been stolen from a family that has reported her missing. The story behind Myrisha Faye Campbell doesn't seem to fit the timeline. The father would have needed at least 27 hours of non stop driving to leave her body there. He appears to have killed himself in Austin, Texas within that timeframe. Not saying that it couldn't happen, just doesn't appear to fit. I will keep searching the internet for ideas...

The description of "full and perfect set of baby teeth" has me believing she was 5 or younger. In real life, I am a teacher in the elementary grades. Children begin losing their baby teeth in kindergarten- aged 5 or 6. By age 7- (second grade) lots of baby teeth are loose and falling out .

From what my mom told me, the sunsuits were worn by toddlers/preschoolers.

I used to sometimes wear cut-down flipflops as a kid because it wasn't always easy to find kid-sized flipflops. They're soft rubber and all it would take is a couple of minutes with a good pair of scissors.

Her hair might not have been intentionally dyed. In 1960, practically everybody was wearing permed hair (I was 6 in 1960) and sometimes the chemicals in the perm would cause hair to change color somewhat, especially if you left the chemicals on too long. Often green, but sometimes red or a funny brassy yellow. Oh, the memories.

@carbuff, what do think about the red nailpolish? Would you have worn that back then? 6 in 1960 is roughly the same age as this little one was. Thankyou for adding to the time with the flipflops. Keep coming back here to see what everyone is writing. :)

I was looking thru Porchlight to see if we missed anyone: there are only 2 little girls who fit the time 1957 -1960 and estimated age that have been reported missing: Mary Begay and Myrisha Campbell, and authorities believe they have found Mary's remains but they cannot prove it definitively.

Does anyone have any media contacts in the Phoenix AZ area? Specifically the Phoenix newspaper?

@carbuff, what do think about the red nailpolish? Would you have worn that back then? 6 in 1960 is roughly the same age as this little one was. Thankyou for adding to the time with the flipflops. Keep coming back here to see what everyone is writing. :)

Yes, I might have, for playing dressup. We had an old chest full of miscellaneous old clothing and shoes that we could play king and queen, or Hollywood star, or lumberjack, or whatever. If we were doing prom queen or star or something, Mom would have helped us with polish and such.

Might also for a special event if the adult family members were dressing up like that. I have a vague memory of wearing polish and makeup to my cousin's wedding in 1961.

I find it a bit unusual but not necessarily weird or creepy.

Thankyou for that. Silly me, i read this and thought i had replied.

Some pedophiles put make-up on their little girl victims... that could explain the dyed hair and painted nails?

Has anyone found out if they are going to exhume her and try to get DNA and isotope testing on her to help find out who she is?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back