AZ - Young boys sexually assult 8 yr old girl -- Family blames victim!!

My heart goes out to this little girl.
One thing I want to know... what about the parents of the rapists? Have those boys also been shunned for what they did? Or is the mindset that of blaming the victim and this little 8 yo girl tempted them and so she's the only one to blame?

Imo the only one who brought shame to the girls family is the family themselves and all I can say is Shame on you!!!

VB

The whole lot of them - minus the little girl - can go back where they came from.

And I agree the 14 y/o should be tried as an adult. No good will come from him spending less than 5 years in a juvie 'time out'.

This is just so very sad. My heart breaks for that little girl. She has nothing to be ashamed of here. I hope all those boys get a proper punishment for their crimes. I realize it's a cultural thing, but the parents blaming this little girl is just so sick and sad.

I'm not worried about us adopting it, I'm disgusted that it exists anywhere.

When the world is sick we don't hesitate to send them our medicine, and people think it's good..

When the world is hungry we don't hesitate to send them our food, and people think it's good.

But when the world is barbaric why does everyone object to us sending them some of our culture? It is WRONG to treat women and girls as less than human, no matter how many generations before have done it.

This is not a phenomenon, it's an abomination. And I'm with you in being glad this girl is getting out of that "family", looks like the older sister is too far gone and ready to perpetuate it when she gets the chance.

No, I'm not PC. Never have been, never will be. Some things people do are just plain wrong. Some things other cultures do are just plain wrong as well, and in my eyes this makes that culture inferior.

To me the difference is that food and medicine are welcomed by the people receiving it. Us "sending" them our culture to correct their moral shortcomings (in our perception) is not invited or welcomed.

Just like we welcomed help during the Katrina disaster, but we would be up in arms if some country was sending us their culture to correct our "moral shortcomings" and you know there are many countries that think we have many.

To me we have more than enough issues to deal with at home and are in no position to be policing the world and their actions. We should lead by example and stay out everyone else's business. MOO

I'm not worried about us adopting it, I'm disgusted that it exists anywhere.

When the world is sick we don't hesitate to send them our medicine, and people think it's good..

When the world is hungry we don't hesitate to send them our food, and people think it's good.

But when the world is barbaric why does everyone object to us sending them some of our culture? It is WRONG to treat women and girls as less than human, no matter how many generations before have done it.

This is not a phenomenon, it's an abomination. And I'm with you in being glad this girl is getting out of that "family", looks like the older sister is too far gone and ready to perpetuate it when she gets the chance.

No, I'm not PC. Never have been, never will be. Some things people do are just plain wrong. Some things other cultures do are just plain wrong as well, and in my eyes this makes that culture inferior.

I agree with you 100%, . These people obviously came to the US with dreams of a better life. How that life could include rape and shunning the victim of a horrific crime is baffling to me. IMO, those things shouldn't be considered cultural preferences, but part of the reason they fled their homeland. Whatever they call it, it's morally wrong and ILLEGAL.

I agree with you 100%, . These people obviously came to the US with dreams of a better life. How that life could include rape and shunning the victim of a horrific crime is baffling to me. IMO, those things shouldn't be considered cultural preferences, but part of the reason they fled their homeland. Whatever they call it, it's morally wrong and ILLEGAL.

I wouldn't call the attitude of this family a cultural preference. It is a belief system woven deeply into the fabric of their consciousness. That doesn't make it right, of course, but it is more complicated than a preference.

I'm sure no one needs a history lesson here, but in our own country, women haven't even had the right to vote for an entire century. Sometimes we are slow to change our most deeply held prejudices.

It is easy to subjugate any weaker group or minority. The United States is certainly ahead of the curve when compared to some other countries regarding subjugating humans, but there's still room for improvement.

It's sad to me that any adult could blame a child for being assaulted, and I am all about sending a clear message that such a belief is wrong. But I remain empathetic to the fact that messages (no matter how aberrant) that have been drilled into people's heads and hearts for years can have a real hold on them.

I wouldn't call the attitude of this family a cultural preference. It is a belief system woven deeply into the fabric of their consciousness. That doesn't make it right, of course, but it is more complicated than a preference.

I'm sure no one needs a history lesson here, but in our own country, women haven't even had the right to vote for an entire century. Sometimes we are slow to change our most deeply held prejudices.

It is easy to subjugate any weaker group or minority. The United States is certainly ahead of the curve when compared to some other countries regarding subjugating humans, but there's still room for improvement.

It's sad to me that any adult could blame a child for being assaulted, and I am all about sending a clear message that such a belief is wrong. But I remain empathetic to the fact that messages (no matter how aberrant) that have been drilled into people's heads and hearts for years can have a real hold on them.

You're absolutely right SCM. But this isn't exactly a case of the pot calling the kettle black. This little girl has been embraced by US authorities and US citizens familiar with the case. That won't have any impact on the beliefs in Liberia, but that's not where we are. Diversity in America is a beautiful thing. But this is way over and above acceptable cultural practices.

The very fact that the girl's family, as well as all of the boy's families, came to the US for a better life speaks volumes. If not violence and rape, what were they attempting to escape? What is left besides murder?

To me the difference is that food and medicine are welcomed by the people receiving it. Us "sending" them our culture to correct their moral shortcomings (in our perception) is not invited or welcomed.

Just like we welcomed help during the Katrina disaster, but we would be up in arms if some country was sending us their culture to correct our "moral shortcomings" and you know there are many countries that think we have many.

To me we have more than enough issues to deal with at home and are in no position to be policing the world and their actions. We should lead by example and stay out everyone else's business. MOO

I would agree with you normally. However, this crime occurred on American soil and rape is NOT a "moral shortcoming." It is a crime and this child is a victim. We did not go anywhere to subject another culture to our beliefs. THEY WERE LIVING IN ARIZONA, FGS.

I don't care how anyone spins this, this little girl was GANG-RAPED. It's not ok - anywhere, anytime, ever.

The president of Liberia spoke Friday on the sexual assault of an 8-year-old Liberian refugee in Phoenix, Arizona, decrying reports that the parents believe their family has been shamed by the girl.

President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf says the girl, her family and the alleged rapists should receive counseling.

"This is not a question of shame on the family. It is the question of an assault on a young child. That cannot be tolerated," said President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, speaking by telephone.

Police have charged four boys, ages 9 to 14, in the case. The boys also are Liberian refugees.

more at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/24/liberia.arizona.juvenile.assault/index.html
"We are so saddened," Sirleaf said. "We are deeply distressed at this behavior on the part of our young Liberians and very saddened at this 8-year-old child who has been so victimized."

I would agree with you normally. However, this crime occurred on American soil and rape is NOT a "moral shortcoming." It is a crime and this child is a victim. We did not go anywhere to subject another culture to our beliefs. THEY WERE LIVING IN ARIZONA, FGS.

I don't care how anyone spins this, this little girl was GANG-RAPED. It's not ok - anywhere, anytime, ever.

I didn't suggest anyone be immune to charges. They chose to come here, they should stand trial for their actions. There are many people born and raised right here that blame the victims of crimes and are embarrassed when it happens to them.

Surely the parents will be facing child abandonment charges?

I hope not
but only because i would be afraid they would say oh we change are mind we love are daughter we want her back and she no way in high heavens needs to go home
and i hope they have no other minors in the home

I hope not
but only because i would be afraid they would say oh we change are mind we love are daughter we want her back and she no way in high heavens needs to go home
and i hope they have no other minors in the home

They were already on the news saying they wanted her back.
Wonder if they learned they were gonna have to pay child support while she was in state care ?

The very fact that the girl's family, as well as all of the boy's families, came to the US for a better life speaks volumes. If not violence and rape, what were they attempting to escape? What is left besides murder?.......

To me it speaks volumes about the old saying that wherever you go, there you are! My prejudices and cultural underpinnings follow me too.

I hope both of the families can discover and embrace a different belief system here.

ETA - I hope I have made it clear in my posts, Fairy1, that no part of me considers their attitude towards the child acceptable! :blowkiss:

Culture/schmulture. To all Liberians in the US: you are here now, check your criminal "culture" at the border, we do not tolerate rape and we really don't tolerate child rapists. These boys need to be locked up because they believe rape is OK and not even worthy of punishment, they will re-offend.

The little girl should never be returned to this family - ever. They will kill her for "shaming" them. If they want their "culture" they should just stay in Lliberia where they can rape babies and stone each other to death at will. But no. Now we have to pick up the mess with 4 in jail and one who needs foster care and adoption to save her life. Pathetic P'sOS.

They came here to escape Liberia, but brought their sick 3rd world culture with them.

It is a blessing that this child was taken away from this family.

My heart goes out to this little girl.
One thing I want to know... what about the parents of the rapists? Have those boys also been shunned for what they did? Or is the mindset that of blaming the victim and this little 8 yo girl tempted them and so she's the only one to blame?

Imo the only one who brought shame to the girls family is the family themselves and all I can say is Shame on you!!!

VB

Isn't it interesting that apparently raping someone is fine, nothing wrong with doing it at all, yet somehow it's wrong to be the object of that action. So they sense somehow that it IS wrong but make it the victim's fault. I just love it. :furious:

They were already on the news saying they wanted her back.
What a horrible thought. I hope that never happens. Never, never, never.

This is the point. I have no trouble taking the position that some things are just plain wrong. It doesn't matter to me that some people, some cultures, may have done it in the past and/or are still doing it now.

Let's try this question: "Is it OK to torture and kill animals for entertainment?"

Choices:

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) Well, if some people who look different from me have been doing it for years we shouldn't say it's wrong, so I won't condemn it and I'll support their right to do it.

In my opinion - and I understand there are some here who disagree with me - treating female children as less human than their brothers, making them responsible for being raped, and discarding them like trash because they were raped, is just plain wrong. I know that it has happened in the past, that does not mean it should continue. The fact that we cannot stop it everywhere today does not mean we should not oppose it where we can.

To be clear, I UNDERSTAND why they feel this way. I do not accept it as being morally equivalent to how I feel. I believe their attitude is inferior to mine on this issue, and I'm sufficiently non-PC to say it openly. I believe if everyone in this world who considers women inferior to men would stop it, they would become better people.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Of course you're not wrong! Why - in any culture - should female children be worth less than male children? I DO NOT understand why they feel this way. This little girl was 8-YEARS-OLD and by no stretch could have been capable "seducing" these boys. They lured her with gum FGS!

We should and MUST oppose it anywhere and everywhere. Particularly here, in our own country. I refuse to be PC in this case. The rapists and the girl's parents deserve no sympathy. IMO, of course.

What am I missing that people think it is not "politically correct" to state that this family's belief system (that a child could be responsible for her own rape and in doing so bring shame to her family) is wrong?

Perhaps I do not understand what the term politically correct means, but I am hard-pressed to think you could find many people here who think their attitude is okay or laudable or morally acceptable.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back