AZ - Young boys sexually assult 8 yr old girl -- Family blames victim!!

I just can't get this little girl out of my mind :( what a terrible situation! I'd like to hear more on if a translator was available. I mean, did they NOT give an interview online? Defending themselves? Seems like THAT would bust that myth up.

Their website states that 20% of their staff is bilingual and if a translator is not available they will identify the language and provide the appropriate translator. There is no way they went forward with a signed statement, taken from a child, and did not have a translator available to the family. I don't know what hospital they took her to but I would be willing to bet their policies are very similar.

As long as they know the families will react with anger towards the victim, what on earth will deter boys from this culture from raping? It is no suprize they targeted a girl from their own culture.

However, I am sure a surprizing number of "real American" families react the same way to molestation or rape - they just don't get the press coverage.

Prayers out to this poor child.

What also gets me, is why/how/what makes a 9 & 10 yr old boy even know how to act out in a sexual assult way. My grandson is 8 and I can't see him even thinking about girls in that way for a few years to come. (And I only mean maybe just sneaking a kiss from a girl) What has this world come to. and I agree, at least that little girl is here and can be taken care of and hopefully get a loving family and the help that she'll need to get through this. Oh my, makes me sick looking at all angles of this. GRRRR

I just thought of something and want to clarify. I can't view the video here at work...streaming media is blocked so I don't know....are the boys that did this of the same culture? Even if they are I still can't wrap my mind around boys that age even being remotely interested (thats probably not the word I want to use) in anything sexual let alone rape.

What also gets me, is why/how/what makes a 9 & 10 yr old boy even know how to act out in a sexual assult way. My grandson is 8 and I can't see him even thinking about girls in that way for a few years to come. (And I only mean maybe just sneaking a kiss from a girl) What has this world come to. and I agree, at least that little girl is here and can be taken care of and hopefully get a loving family and the help that she'll need to get through this. Oh my, makes me sick looking at all angles of this. GRRRR

I just thought of something and want to clarify. I can't view the video here at work...streaming media is blocked so I don't know....are the boys that did this of the same culture? Even if they are I still can't wrap my mind around boys that age even being remotely interested (thats probably not the word I want to use) in anything sexual let alone rape.

All of the perps are immigrants from Liberia. The initial defense appeared to be one of them either being child soldiers or having witnessed the genocidal behavior in their own land. The backs of the communities in Liberia were broken when Charles Taylor brought the concept of mass rape and child soldiers to the country....I am not saying he invented these techniques, just that he brought them there. There has been a generation that has grown up there since.

Even the 14 year old is not too hardened to be able to be retrained, so to speak. I get why they are hitting him as an adult, because that is what would happen if the child were a natural born citizen...well likely anyway....but the chances of them being able to stick the sentence, and whether or not they should even try to is up for grabs imo.

It is easy for me to say I think the familys argument that things were lost in translation is specious. I think this child is in GREAT danger of being forced to recant or much, much worse if she is returned to any of the family here or in Liberia. JMVHO.

All of the perps are immigrants from Liberia. The initial defense appeared to be one of them either being child soldiers or having witnessed the genocidal behavior in their own land. The backs of the communities in Liberia were broken when Charles Taylor brought the concept of mass rape and child soldiers to the country....I am not saying he invented these techniques, just that he brought them there. There has been a generation that has grown up there since.

Even the 14 year old is not too hardened to be able to be retrained, so to speak. I get why they are hitting him as an adult, because that is what would happen if the child were a natural born citizen...well likely anyway....but the chances of them being able to stick the sentence, and whether or not they should even try to is up for grabs imo.

It is easy for me to say I think the familys argument that things were lost in translation is specious. I think this child is in GREAT danger of being forced to recant or much, much worse if she is returned to any of the family here or in Liberia. JMVHO.

Unfortunatley I agree with you (the unfortunate part is having a situation like this.) This is just so sad, my heart aches for this girl. A family that has grown up where this is the typical response (in a different country) are not going to be so willing to just say OH ok she's right! and really feel it. I honestly think they will try to coerce her to be "shady" on the details. I honestly hope this is not the case, but in my gut, I feel it :(

(bbm) Yes it is shocking but the answer, it seems clear, is that the younger boys had atrocious abhorrent behavior modeled by the older two. Instead of positive mentors, they learned from the older boys who after first demonstrating their abusive, violent behavior undoubtedly coaxed the younger boys on. Group evil, perpetrating and victimizing a young girl in front of them, then drawing the other younger ones in. Such is the nature of evil. Taking pleasure not only in performing perverse, degrading acts--but in seeing others commit them as well. Makes me shudder. And weep, for the loss of innocence.

:parrot:

PHOENIX — Liberia's deputy ambassador to the U.S. said he tried to console an 8-year-old rape victim in Phoenix with hugs and a teddy bear in a case that has gripped Liberians worldwide.

Deputy Ambassador Edwin Sele said the girl, a Liberian refugee, cried heavily during their meeting on Saturday and that she needs to be reunited with her family to get the best care possible.

(snipped)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538681,00.html?test=latestnews

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576146,00.html?test=latestnews

Parents of Rape Victim Charged With Felony Child Abuse

Police have arrested the parents of an 8-year-old Liberian girl who was allegedly kidnapped and raped by four boys on felony child abuse charges.
Child neglect reports were filed against the girl's 59-year-old father and 47-year-old mother on two separate occasions, MyFoxPhoenix.com has reported. The parents each face eight counts for a series of abuse and neglect incidents dating back to 2005.

..........................snip...............................

In an investigation conducted over the past several months, detectives learned that Phoenix Police, Glendale Police and Child Protective Services had been called to the victim's home on numerous occasions dating back to 2005, MyFoxPhoenix.com reports.

Police submitted their investigation of the parents to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office in August. Arrest warrants were issued earlier Friday.

Police say the girl was gang-raped in July by four Liberian boys who lured her to a storage shed with the promise of chewing gum. All four suspects were arrested and charged in the attack.

The girl has since been removed from the home and is in custody of Child Protective Services, MyFoxPhoenix.com reports.

My heart is breaking for this little girl...her mother needs to leave the father and take her precious little girl away. I understand it is cultural, but my GOD. I just want to hug that little girl...

Hmmm . . . this sounds less "cultural" than it did. The little girl sounds like she's been a scapegoat of some kind to her parents all this time. Thank God she is away from them ALL and here to hopes she'll develop the courage and strength to overcome her life of abuse.

Liberian boys appear in court hearings for 2009 rape charges
by Michael Ferraresi - Feb. 11, 2010 12:00 AM

Two of the four Liberian refugee boys accused in the July rape of an 8-year-old girl appeared in court hearings Wednesday as judges consider whether the youths are competent to stand trial.

The boys are accused of luring the victim, a fellow Liberian refugee, to a storage closet at a west Phoenix apartment complex where she was raped.

The boys are charged with sexual assault, kidnapping and sexual conduct with a minor.

Steven Tuopeh, 15, will return to Maricopa County Superior Court on Feb. 24 as a judge continues to review his competency to stand trial as an adult.

more here

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/02/11/20100211liberian0211.html

they sent her back to her family and then figured out she'd been abused for years?

you know if i drank my liver would look like a brussel sprout by now

Liberian parents of 9-year-old rape victim released
May. 11, 2010 12:00 AM

A Liberian couple charged with seven counts of felony child abuse were ordered released from jail Monday because the court cannot find interpreters who speak their languages.

snip

Defense attorney Gerald Gavin, who represents the father, said prosecutors have made a settlement offer, but without adequate interpreters, he said, "I can't explain it to my client." It also would be difficult to try the case.

"We have nothing firm set because of this problem," Gavin said. "We can't even interview the witnesses properly."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep.../05/11/20100511liberia0511.html#ixzz0neLTWf2N

This is going to sound really cold, but if the people can't speak enough English that they can't be held criminally responsible for their behavior, they shouldn't be here. I'm sorry but it is inexcusable to me that they will be let go for something so stupid. I find it impossible to believe that they cannot find anyone else who speaks that language and English. That seems patently ridiculous to me.

This is going to sound really cold, but if the people can't speak enough English that they can't be held criminally responsible for their behavior, they shouldn't be here. I'm sorry but it is inexcusable to me that they will be let go for something so stupid. I find it impossible to believe that they cannot find anyone else who speaks that language and English. That seems patently ridiculous to me.

In some ways I feel the same as you Belinda. But these are refugees. I think that makes it a little different? I'm not sure what they are refugees from as I have not been keeping up on world politics, but I assume it is for political reasons?

So... if we know enough about them to let them into the US for shelter, why can not the person (congressman, legislator), whoever told their story to Immigration, come forward and interpret for them now? There must be someone at the State Department that can speak both languages?

Child abuse is a very serious offense and the State Department should be involved to make sure that the people we harbor can live by our laws and understand them.

I wonder if Hillary Clinton has a website where you can send her info on situations like this and she can look into them? Not telling anyone to contact her, just typing out loud.

Salem

I'd be happy if we made these parents refugees from the United States.

My opinion only

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back