Blunt Force Trauma

Goody said:
Why?

They say my message is too short, so why are you so beamy???
from your PM silly :)

deandaniellws said:
Where is MY beemy PM!?! <pats foot> :snooty:
Well, Goody and I needed a beamy PM :blowkiss:

Goody said:
Well, after looking at the exact dates of the photos/videos of her, neither is possible. On one end, there should have been red where there is not, and on the other end, the bruises should still be present but are not. So I don't think the intruder or Darlie or Darin created them. Not in any traditional sense anyway. I don't know what caused them so maybe it was some medical fluke that she merely took advantage of. Whatever caused them, the bruises came and went very quickly, much faster than bruises normally do. What does that tell us?
[font=Courier,Monospace]Bruises and Blood Spots Under the Skin

[/font]
Purpura
Purpura is sudden, severe bruising that may be localized, regional, or widespread and that occurs without an injury. People who develop purpura often have signs of illness, such as a fever, weakness, fatigue, or a vague sense of being ill (malaise).

The bruising caused by purpura is different from the isolated bruises a person often gets after bumping into an object or falling. Purpura bruises develop from within the body, rather than from an injury.

A bleeding or clotting disorder is the most common cause of purpura. Purpura that comes on quickly over a short period (a few hours) may be a sign of a serious infection that requires immediate medical treatment.
I did a google image search and :sick: doesn't look like Darlie's bruises, but it does show that bruises can appear without an injury.

[font=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]

[/font]

Unfortunately the friend of mine that was murdered was beaten to death.

Beaten so badly he had to have a closed casket funeral. My husband was the one who had to identify him and it wasn' t easy to tell it was Mark.
I've seen his autopsy photos.

The police only guess that it was a 2x4 used on him, the wound sizes were close to the assumed size board, but building wood isn't metal. It splinters and gets out of shape when you strike something with it. The edges tend to be blunted with each and every blow. A 2x4 is not finished out on the surface like a baseball bat is or even a piece of furniture is. It is softer and unsealed. it may or may not leave "corners and edge" impressions. Also depends upon the hardness of the surface you are hitting. Hitting bone will dent it ( the board)hitting muscle will most likely not dent it severely. This how the ME explained it to us at the time.

This is info I gained from a different case and may or may apply here. If it seems to make sense ok if not ignore it.

I don't think attacking other posters for trying to gain and share forensic knowledge should be encouraged- Thanks for the info and your attention to details. Asking questions and doing research is better than having your head located in a different position Just my opinion. You never know what information can make or break a case.

I know for certain that each and every person has the ability to heal wounds.
Our bodies heal much faster when we are young. This is why everyone will eventually need reading glasses. As we age the cells in the eye that are used to read are dying out quicker than they can grow back it is a FACT OF LIFE.

Darlie was young, Darlie had been given medical aid and her brusies were seen and repeatedly inspected by every well wisher and family member who saw her.
Bruises get bigger as they heal, they look worse over time as the blood that is trapped in the muscles is being carried away. First after a bruise blood cells bleed into and around the injury. This a normal reaction to the injury. The body reacts by getting this blood and other damaged cells away from the injury so the special cells that knit an injury back together can go to work. The body moves these blood cells and any damaged beyond repair muscle cells into the capillaries(the tiny little vessels under your skin). the more time passes the worse the bruise looks as the body has moved most of the damaged cells away from the injury where they can be picked up by other cells and gotton rid thru your spleen and kidneys. The human body is neat we actually recycle these cells and they become our hair, fingernails and other body parts that are made almost entirely of our "RETIRED CELLS" It should give us all comfort -we do something everyday for the enviroment our bodies recycle even if you do not.
Younger people will heal quicker and the bruises will fade must faster and look less severe than say older folks do. A 60 year old man who bumps his arm on a counter can look like he wrestled with a bear while a kid may not even bruise at all. Each body has its own metabolic rate as well which also determines healing. Healing from a bruise is almost as individual as the people who get them. The thickness of the skin is also a determining factor in bruising and healing.

I repeat Darlie did not have the knowledge required to bruise herself in the places she was brusied in. If I had tried to discuss how the human body works to Darlie Lynn she would have rolled her eyes and told me only a science nerd like me would be interested, how will this apply to my life later on ( like knowing 1st aid could).

If she did do it she wouldn't think about needing to look bruised or beat up as an albi. She would have honestly thought the knife wounds enough. She isn't that smart, she is dumb, not stupid. I teased her about being dumb all her life even telling her she wasn't a true blonde so she couldn't get away with a C when I knew she could have gotton an A. Darlie Lynn was never able to fool me growing up. I could look at her and tell when she was lying or holding back so could her mother, she might have thought so when she was a teenager but we proved her wrong everytime. She also never knew just how we found stuff out or caught her- you don't put your hold card on the table once the other player has folded. She knew no matter what she did we would catch her eventually. Mama Darlie wouldn't let her get away with murdering her grandsons and I wouldn't either.

A long time ago I just sat back and let the police do their jobs, prosecutors do theirs and I accepted the verdict. When I looked at the case then decided to get involved( not something I am happy about) it was because I wasn't satisfied with the answers. The science didn't add up- the image she portrayed to others sure did, but the science I needed to assure me of her guilt did not.
I could easily settle for never letting her out of prison unless science can prove she didn't do it. I can't settle for taking a human life on the flimsy evidence we are going to put this woman to death for. It is a hell of a price to pay for being dumb enough to act like she did and not expect at some point in your life that it would come back around to bite you.

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:

Beaten so badly he had to have a closed casket funeral. My husband was the one who had to identify him and it wasn' t easy to tell it was Mark.

The police only guess that it was a 2x4 used on him, the wound sizes were close to the assumed size board, but building wood isn't metal. It splinters and gets out of shape when you strike something with it. The edges tend to be blunted with each and every blow. A 2x4 is not finished out on the surface like a baseball bat is or even a piece of furniture is. It is softer and unsealed. it may or may not leave "corners and edge" impressions. Also depends upon the hardness of the surface you are hitting. Hitting bone will dent it ( the board)hitting muscle will most likely not dent it severely. This how the ME explained it to us at the time.

This is info I gained from a different case and may or may apply here. If it seems to make sense ok if not ignore it.

I don't think attacking other posters for trying to gain and share forensic knowledge should be encouraged- Thanks for the info and your attention to details. Asking questions and doing research is better than having your head located in a different position Just my opinion. You never know what information can make or break a case.
Are you addressing me or all of us? It would help if you used the quote feature so we would know please. I'll reply to this anyway.
I know in the Jeff Mac case that the "club" he used on Colette and Kim was simply a bed slat, also unfinished wood. There were lots of splinters all around those areas. But in that case, bones were broken. Kimmy's skull and face were smashed and Colette's arms were broken and she had gashes, open wounds, on her face and scalp. It sounds as if your friend had broken bones as well. I think the lack of broken bones in Darlie's case is what makes us dismiss the 2x4 theory as the source of her bft injuries.

Sorry about quotes and all I'm not that capable on the computer, my kids still have to program the vcr and show me how to use the dvd.
I don't think weapons like a bat or 2x4 were used. The weight of pinning her down by the arms, using the legs and hitting her with fists would have been enough IMO to cause her bruises.
I actually have been pinned down violently and my brusies were not as severe but they were located in the same place. Took about a week to heal and I milked it for every bit of sympathy I could get from my Mom. No one was trying to kill me though. Sisters are mean and mine outweighed me by a good 50 lbs. She got me good and I will never take a shirt of hers again. Lord I hadn't thought of our "big fight" in years. I'm going to have to call her and ask to "borrow a shirt"
Goody and beesy y'all are someones I wish I knew personally, your sense of humor is priceless. We would get into a lot of trouble at the mall just havin' fun.
:HappyBday
I tried to get you money for your birthday but the mall security chased me out of the fountain before I could get more than this :twocents: .

Please be patient I'll check out the forum features better and try to use all the neat stuff available. I thought being able to figure out the smiley face stuff was an accomplishment. I can see there is place for computer dummies like me to learn to use the tools. I'll visit it and see what knowledge I can glean.

Goody and beesy y'all are someones I wish I knew personally, your sense of humor is priceless. We would get into a lot of trouble at the mall just havin' fun.
I tried to get you money for your birthday but the mall security chased me out of the fountain before I could get more than this :twocents:
68.gif
Shame on you thinking we can be swayed by flattery.. :p

I tried to get you money for your birthday but the mall security chased me out of the fountain before I could get more than this :twocents: .

hahahahahahahahah! :laugh: That's a good one.

Yes, but the posters who think an object was used to make the bruises would be assuming that it was done to Darlie on purpose, so the hitting wouldn't be hard enough to actually break her bones, the board or object, and it wouldn't be done in a way to try and kill. I've got some decking types boards that are finished and in no way would splinter or break if I gave something, especially the soft underside of an arm a good slap with one. The board could actually even be smaller or something like a wooden paddle. Something made those bruises. I don't know if getting stabbed all the way to the bone would bruise the underside of an arm and not the top or not and I don't think that the couch would have been wide enough for an intruder to have sat on the underside of the arms. Looks like that would have broken Darlie's arm if it were outstretched more than any board or object hitting her. Has anyone ever tried to recreate the reported scene of an intruder holding her down to see if it could be done on a couch?

txsvicki said:
Yes, but the posters who think an object was used to make the bruises would be assuming that it was done to Darlie on purpose, so the hitting wouldn't be hard enough to actually break her bones, the board or object, and it wouldn't be done in a way to try and kill. I've got some decking types boards that are finished and in no way would splinter or break if I gave something, especially the soft underside of an arm a good slap with one. The board could actually even be smaller or something like a wooden paddle. Something made those bruises. I don't know if getting stabbed all the way to the bone would bruise the underside of an arm and not the top or not and I don't think that the couch would have been wide enough for an intruder to have sat on the underside of the arms. Looks like that would have broken Darlie's arm if it were outstretched more than any board or object hitting her. Has anyone ever tried to recreate the reported scene of an intruder holding her down to see if it could be done on a couch?
I think it would be very hard to control how hard you swung a board or whatever. I also think it would be really hard to luck out and only hit her on the underside of her arms. Darin didn't miss and whack her in the head? That would have been funny, huh?
Remember only one arm was cut so you still you need to account for the bruises on the other arm.
Darlie wrote "In Her Own Words". There is a copy of it in MTJD and on one of the websites. In it she has drawn a diagram of the scene and has drawn herself laying on her right side when she saw the intruder, which she calls a "blur". In this account she does not say anything about struggling with the blur. She also drew herself to show all of her wounds. She even put boobies on the drawing hee

Thanks, I'll look around and see if the sketch or "in her own words" is on the internet.

I've seen the article but not the sketch. If you find the sketch let us know.

justice2 said:
I've seen the article but not the sketch. If you find the sketch let us know.

I need to correct myself, her little stick figure of herself is laying on it's back. I know I've read it somewhere that she said she was on her right side. I hate when I forget things like that. Maybe one of the others can help? :waitasec:

beesy said:
I need to correct myself, her little stick figure of herself is laying on it's back. I know I've read it somewhere that she said she was on her right side. I hate when I forget things like that. Maybe one of the others can help? :waitasec:
It is what she told police. It is in the trial transcripts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back