BSL's Wounds and Hospital Visits

Ok I'm trying to learn about sleuthing as I go along and read, and I'm way behind all of ya'lls level.

The orthodontists records concern me some. I can't think of any reason other than a bite mark. Now on who or what? Lisa Pates body was badly decomposed so no bitemark there right? Mickey has not been found so that leaves possible other victims that had bite marks before they decomposed. Or it leaves the gruesome thought that parts have been found with bite marks. It wasn't accepted too well when I mentioned it back in the general discussion thread and thats no problem. Its just I can't see any other reasons for getting those records other than bite marks found somewhere. JMO

What crossed my mind is a photograph found among BSL's souvenirs.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a photograph of bite marks on someone? Then the picture would show a particular pattern or irregularity they might can match?

A bite? From him or to him?
I think TO him!
moo

Do you mean he has a bite mark on him and he is saying that he bit himself and LE has to prove he didn't and that the bite mark came from Mickey? Wouldn't they want her dental records? Or is that something we aren't privy to?

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean a photograph of bite marks on someone? Then the picture would show a particular pattern or irregularity they might can match?
Yes, that was my thought, and I might be totally off base. I was merely thinking of a reason why his orthodontic records are important. Since MS's body hasn't been recovered, and LP's body was skeletonized, a photograph of a bitemark on a victim's body seemed like a possibility.

I wonder if it could be a bite mark on a totally different unsolved victim that they are looking into also from the past that is now considered a cold case.

I wonder if it could be a bite mark on a totally different unsolved victim that they are looking into also from the past that is now considered a cold case.

Or possibly evidence of BSL simply trying to "alter" his appearance.
Or possibly BSL incurred dental damage in another case they may be looking at.
Or possibly another avenue in which they obtained DNA.

His teeth "seemed" fine before...
At 33 why seek orthodontia?
They take preliminary films... he would be exposed
SO IMO it WAS due to a recent "injury" that required
the care of an orthodontist.
moo

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but his orthodontist is in Odessa,TX. Must have been a pain to have to travel there for scheduled visits. Why wouldn't he have gotten that in Lafayette? I remember when I had braces a couple of years ago, I'd have to go at least every 4-6 weeks. Not related to his wounds, but I'm considering it doctor visits. Trying to stay on topic.

Things that make you go huh!!!!!!!

Things that make you go huh!!!!!!!

Actually, it seems the Odessa dentist might not be BSL's

http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/pathology/faculty_detail.aspx?name=carr_ronald
Could it be this Dr. Ronald Carr? Specialty of Forensic odontology listed, based in NOLA, affiliated with LSU, etc. That seems possible to me since it's listed with the Lisa Pate records and she was (according to published reports) ID'd by LSU Anthropology dept. using dental records. Also the Odessa orthodontist's site states he's practiced in Odessa since 1994 and before that was in Dallas from 1988 when he graduated to 1994, so I'm not seeing where it'd be likely BL was ever a patient of his.
This explanation makes the most sense, imo. LP was ID'd through her dental records, and Dr RC was probably the doctor who did the comparison.

Forensic dentistry or forensic odontology is the proper handling, examination and evaluation of dental evidence, which will be then presented in the interest of justice. The evidence that may be derived from teeth, is the age (in children) and identification of the person to whom the teeth belong. This is done using dental records including radiographs, ante-mortem (prior to death) and post-mortem photographs and DNA
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensic_dentistry"]Forensic dentistry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

moo

An adjustment?

Actually, it seems the Odessa dentist might not be BSL's

Thanks Bessie I saw that right after I posted it. I was just thinking about possible missing persons there and that would have given him a good reason to be there. BSL seems quite the traveler, yet managed to get lost after he was attacked.

This is interesting. I would imagine that the orthodontist would have old pics of his bite and current. I do know that they can use a photo of a bite to match a person's bite--I went to a sexual assault lecture and the folks from the crime lab showed this! It is just amazing the technology and how they can use it now. Maybe there were some cold cases and something makes me feel like there is other evidence such as photos. I cannot think of any other reason why those records would be pertinent...either to rule in or rule out his teeth prints from something.

This is interesting. I would imagine that the orthodontist would have old pics of his bite and current. I do know that they can use a photo of a bite to match a person's bite--I went to a sexual assault lecture and the folks from the crime lab showed this! It is just amazing the technology and how they can use it now. Maybe there were some cold cases and something makes me feel like there is other evidence such as photos. I cannot think of any other reason why those records would be pertinent...either to rule in or rule out his teeth prints from something.

Yep. :yes: It's the only reason I can see based on what we know.

So you are related to Brandon how?
Am I the only one who is not ready to convict him before the trial where all the evidence is heard? Sounds like he needs a change of venue from what I have read?

bbm: No, you're not the only one -- I generally keep the "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law" mindset on all cases. Not to say I never lean one way or another -- I just know that things can turn out to be far different than they appear at certain points.

moo

I know several people who got braces in their 30s and one in her 40s. It's not uncommon. In BSL's case, it was probably done to change his bite if he did bite Mickey. Of course now her skin would have broken down too much for identification purposes.

Assuming that he had nerve/tendon damage, which is more than likely, it still wasn't life threatening so I don't find it strange at all that they sent him to a hand surgeon closer to his home. I'm sure they cleaned and bandaged it, then made it clear to him that if he was to regain use of it at all, he would need the surgery. Dr. Porubsky is an extremely capable surgeon, specializing on the hand. Of course, had any of his wounds be life threatening, surgery would have more than likely been done there, but that was not the case.

I posted in another thread about an injury to my thumb years ago from a stupid move on my part trying to open a Christmas gift with a knife :waitasec:

In the ER, they discovered I cut the nerve and tendon and sewed it up right then. I went to an orthopedic dr a week later for a follow up. Other than a bandage to keep the area clean, though it was thick because the area AROUND the injury itself did hurt like the dickens while healing, in a weeks time it was well on its way to being fine. Not a 'bad' injury..just a stupid one. Even though they did a great job at the ER, I still have numbness in that thumb and little feeling. Small scar. Anyway, so telling at checkin it was from surgery, could be from when he was in ER not necessarily at dr office. Has it been confirmed he had ACTUAL surgery at this drs office?

I think, personally, it would be nice to know how 'bad' the injury was. BSL and the friend are the ones saying the finger was almost 'cut off' but maybe it wasn't as bad as that. Maybe it was very deep and did damage but maybe the location was similar to mine, the length of the finger as opposed to the width of the finger..if that makes since. Up and down as opposed to a horizontal.

Just thinking..as always imho.

Kelly

While Lavergne's orthodontist records might be pertinent to the murders, it's also possible that they're of no particular relevance. In preparation for any murder trial, the involved attorneys would file a HIPAA release requesting any and all medical records for the defendant and other involved parties. This would include mental health records, medical health records, and dental records. From what I can tell in the disclosure, the state is simply turning over all of Lavergne's records to the defense as part of the discovery process, not that the orthodontist records are of any special interest.

The fact that Lavergne's more recent medical records from Ochsner or Opelousas aren't listed under the discovery documents for Count 2 (Mickey Shunick) indicates that the state wasn't in possession of those documents at the time of the filing of the disclosure.

It's possible that the only reason the orthodontist's records are included in the disclosure is that the orthodontist has been the only medical provider to comply with the HIPAA release thus far. It can take months for individual doctors and hospitals to respond to a records request, even in high-profile cases.

it's a very long stretch, but maybe they want his orthodontic records for pictures of his face and neck from the past? they take pictures before, during, and after your braces to monitor change. Is it possible that they are looking for pictures of him during a certain time frame to see a wound or scratch marks or black eye? Maybe there's another possible victim that they think may have fought back? pictures from the Orthodontist would have dates on them.

Mickey or some other earlier victim (if there are any) may have hit or kicked him in the mouth. with braces, that hurts soooooo bad and causes cuts IN your mouth. (no one has purposely hit me in my mouth, but during gymnastics in highschool, i got kicked in the mouth accidentally.) maybe they made note of cuts in his mouth??

just brainstorming

most likely, they just want ALL records of him from EVERYWHERE. you never know what can help in an investigation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back