CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back to square one. IIRC Caron and roommate SD said Bryce left to spend Labor Day with GF Kim Sly, that was his intentions and would be back Monday, then it all went South. Everything changed. Something upset him badly thats why he told his Mom he had to "blow-off some steam". I'm thinking it had something to do with Bryce and Kim's relationship. The Vyanese could have added to the problem causing paranoia and delusional way of thinking making his behavior totally irrational and wanting the breakup. I think every move Bryce made from the moment he left GF was impulsive and he didn't know what he was going to do next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree...I do not believe he was waiting for anyone in Buttonwillow. I think he was just "there".

I agree...I do not believe he was waiting for anyone in Buttonwillow. I think he was just "there".

Yes i agree. I think he left her place upset/mad because his plans were to spend the weekend with her. Most of the college students had probably already left to be with friends and family for the Labor Day weekend. Where was he to go? Who knows maybe this was to upset Kim. I think they had some sort of argument that led to this. Possibly that he took Vyanese. Relationship games.

Haven't read this thread yet - wanted to correct/explain something re posts on the last thread.

Originally Posted by Niner View Post
No, no, no... I'm not saying he was AT Pyramid Lake also - just reinterating (sp?) what happened at 1:50am - where he tells his mother he got off of I5, but got back on the freeway!

Edited to add: I personally don't 'see' any other exit from the freeway that is about 20 minutes between the 1:50am call to the 2:08am call to his mother. Unless someone is "there" in the area - is there another exit off the freeway besides Pyramid Lake exit - I haven't been down that way for over 10 years and can't recall!

Woe.be.gone said:
I'm really extra confused now. The reason being is that Bryce spoke to his mom around 2AM and I believe his vehicle license plate was on tape at Castaic around that time too (and then again sometime nearer to 4:30AM).

If he told his mom at 2AM that he got off I5 but was getting back on, how does that fit with him being almost a half an hour away from I5?

It kind of does make me think something particular happened after 2AM if he stated to his mom that he'd be home in about three hours. Wait, I thought the parents didn't know he was on his way home.

Omg, this shouldn't be this difficult. Somebody straighten me out please.

No, Woe.be.gone - that's not what it's meant to say! He wasn't 1/2 hour away from I5 when he said he had "detoured" - I'm saying that the exits (see below in Dawookie's post, says 2 exits for Pyramid Lake) - that the two exits Pyramid Lake to Castaic Rd is about 20 minutes apart, not that he wandered around off the exit at Pyramid Lake. Did I explain that okay??!! LOL! Also the time was actually 1:50am when he told his mom he had detoured. :seeya:

Dawookie said:
Depends on what exit he took for Pyramid Lake. There's Smokey Bear Road at the north end of the lake and Vista Del Lago at the south end. Other than that the only other exit on the 5 besides those two is Templin Hwy which is only around 8 miles from the exit for Castaic.

Thanks Dawookie - it could have been either exit than, since there are none between here (Pyramid) and Castaic. I don't think 8 miles would take 20 minutes to get to Castaic exit.

and Dawookie :welcome6: :greetings:

I'm back to square one. IIRC Caron and roommate SD said Bryce packed and left to spend Labor Day with GF Kim Sly, that was his intentions and would be back Monday, then it all went South. ... I think every move Bryce made from the moment he left Kims place was impulsive and he didn't know what he was going to do next.

Edited for space.

I am not sure that Bryce packed up to spend a weekend with Kim. IIRC, he had first broken up with her by phone. Then, perhaps being a gentleman, or for whatever reason, drove to Kim's place to break up in person. That is what is referenced as the "two times Bryce broke up with gf." I think IIRC he told his roommate sd he was heading out for the Labor Day weekend and would be back for school on Monday. He may have implied he was going to gf's place, but since he was actually breaking up / broken up with her, he was probably not planning on staying there ;)

So, think about this: He tells sd he is going to gf's. He tells gf goodbye. He never told his folks he was heading home. Mom tells him to go and get a good night's rest back at his dorm. He, in fact, starts driving South. If it were not for the gas situation, and creating some alarm, Bryce could have had a whole weekend to himself, to do whatever it was he had planned. Then, of course, the plan seems to have changed drastically, and for the worse, IMO. The car rolls, he leaves. He doesn't return to college. He doesn't go home. He calls no one. Something changed his course from "long weekend away" to ??

Hope this "thinking out out loud" helps some. We need Bryce home, to figure out what happened... :banghead:

One thing I learned around here with these cases, is we are not entitled to know everything there is to know about our subject and the subject's family. They still have lives and don't feel like airing all their dirty laundry, if there is any.

There are still more things for the family to do, and a lot of it isn't as "big" as weekend searches. They could be doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff. It's daunting to have to check every hospital, church or mental facility in a radius that they think he might be in. It takes a lot of time and a lot of manpower.

I have to say that in this case, we have had more information and cooperation from the family then we usually do. They have been very interactive with the people who have wanted to help. Maybe some of it has fallen through the cracks, but overall, those working this case has had more contact with the family then a lot of cases. IMO, JMO, MOO

I'm not sure what the family expects to find searching Castaic again, but if they find nothing that nothing will tell them something. I'm fairly confident the sightings in Oregon are valid so feel he somehow made it away from the Castaic area.

Recently in the news: Nearly 15 percent of Americans between the ages of 16 and 24 are not studying or working. That's nearly 6 million people.

There is a subculture group of teens and young adults who share some similarities with the homeless, but are distinct from the homeless also. Sometimes they are referred to as street people, a wondering tribe of nomads so to speak. BL would have no trouble melting into this group in my opinion.

Agreed sarx and the last thing we should be doing is criticizing family for not giving us what we want. That comes out of frustration but just think how much more frustrating it is for the family. I have seen family members chased off cases for not having all the answers or not being able to share things or "not adding up" based on sleuthers preconceived notion of how/what something should be done or said.

We are here to support the family and the missing person. When it looks like death is likely then it si the family we are supporting. They are often told not to say to much by LE as well, and then there is a lot of of information that is of interest out of curiosity but has no place in the investigation and we have no right to it.

I just don'[t understand getting down on the very people whose hearts are broken and are desperate for answers. They can only share so much and they can only be in public so much...and as i mentioned earlier, when people do share, often they are chased off because it doesn't "fit"

I do not think I was down of the family, it was not my intent. In fact, I believe Bryce to be alive, just not in Castaic.

When I say looking in wrong area one thing I mean is seemingly lack of coverage outside southern CA. Besides Amanda's efforts, where there any posters up in Buttonwillow or by where he went to school or lived?

I know Santa Clarita Valley area is routinely covered by LE helicopters FWIW.

Wow, sad that we have again hit that level where we are spinning it back on the family. We really don't know what they are doing behind the scenes. We don't know if they have hired a PI, after all, the key word there is PRIVATE (or it should be anyways, publicizing a PI is often a bad idea). I honestly feel like they have been very honest about all of Bryce's extreme behavior, his drug encounters, both recent and past... Way more open than most parents are with us honestly. Sorry, but they are victims here too and it is hard for me to sit back and watch people go after the families of the missing, they don't need more pain than they are already feeling. MOO

I know your message/opinion is the highest moral thinking/road (can't think of another way to express what I mean - hope that does it).
The conflict I grapple with, for instance, is when a woman goes missing, a known fact is that LE begins their investigation with the person who they consider closest to her, usually her husband or significant other.
When a small child goes missing, the parents aren't given a pass just because they're the child's parents.
I believe LE scrutinizes them first but does their best to clear them quickly.
Therefore, on WS, when we're not able to ask questions (not to point fingers but to gain understanding of a situation), the rule feels disconnected with reality in some way.

I understand that WS got its start to help victims of crime, but all crimes aren't at the hand of strangers.
I'd like to take the high road too but sometimes I wonder about the reason some answers pose a problem or why they are being suppressed in the first place.

A hindrance to remaining committed to one cause, is not being acknowledged imo. If people actively reach out for help, is it too much to ask for open communication in return? I know this expectation can enter into areas that have to do with keeping the integrity of the investigation, so this request can get tricky.
At times one begins to wonder why they're sleuthing in the first place because it feels as if you are butting in or just being nosey.

Unless one can help with physical searches directly, or other concrete efforts, we're only providing something akin to a big think tank. What else can we do?
If we stop, the thread ends up on page two, then three, . . .
If there's no value to a case having exposure on WS (being on page one), we should move on to other cases. Everyone appreciates feeling valued.

Most people take up causes that affect them directly. For instance, usually when someone gets involved with breast cancer awareness, it is because they or their mom or sister have it theirself. There's few purely altruistic examples of people who have done great things to advance a cause when they haven't been affected personally by it themselves.
For these reasons, I believe we tend to wander into the area of invasive questioning and/or begin to feel as if we deserve answers to our questions.

One thing I learned around here with these cases, is we are not entitled to know everything there is to know about our subject and the subject's family. They still have lives and don't feel like airing all their dirty laundry, if there is any.

There are still more things for the family to do, and a lot of it isn't as "big" as weekend searches. They could be doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff. It's daunting to have to check every hospital, church or mental facility in a radius that they think he might be in. It takes a lot of time and a lot of manpower.

I have to say that in this case, we have had more information and cooperation from the family then we usually do. They have been very interactive with the people who have wanted to help. Maybe some of it has fallen through the cracks, but overall, those working this case has had more contact with the family then a lot of cases. IMO, JMO, MOO

I think I love you, Seajay.

You know, I was frustrated and wanted more too at various points. Then I took a step back and tried to use my imagination to understand what they could possibly be going through. And, i tried to separate my curiosity and need to resolve things in my mind, with the reality of this case and what role we as sleuthers actually can play, in trying to find this kid. Those are two vastly different things - my desire to prove or disprove a scenario in my head, and Bryce's need for average citizens like us, to help find him.

I'm not sure what the family expects to find searching Castaic again, but if they find nothing that nothing will tell them something. I'm fairly confident the sightings in Oregon are valid so feel he somehow made it away from the Castaic area.

Recently in the news: Nearly 15 percent of Americans between the ages of 16 and 24 are not studying or working. That's nearly 6 million people.

There is a subculture group of teens and young adults who share some similarities with the homeless, but are distinct from the homeless also. Sometimes they are referred to as street people, a wondering tribe of nomads so to speak. BL would have no trouble melting into this group in my opinion.

We called them "gutter punks" ( I know. nasty term) when I was young. You can google images and will likely recognize this kind of kid.

There are vast populations of them in various cities, like San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Cruz, Sacramento, San Francisco, Berkeley, Portland and Seattle. Many were abused or neglected at home or suffer drug, alcohol and/or mental issues. They do not trust the authorities and don't accept too much help from non-profits, from what I have seen. They help one another, take care of each other and don't talk.

<modsnip>

On the issue of friends and family out searching. I wish I could say that because Bryce's friends did not go and search for him that means something else was going on. It's just straight up not true. Been around long enough to say that it happens way more often than you think. Most on here only see the big cases with the big turn outs, and yet there are hundreds and hundreds of cases that go unnoticed, there's no big turn out, AND nothing nefarious has happened, people just didn't care as much as you'd think or hope. I am still left scratching my head as to why all the time, but it is what it is.

It makes perfect sense. I would think the family has the same information as me. I don't know if they are using the info to aid them in finding BL or not, that, I guess, remains to be seen. As you said I honestly don't know what is going on behind the scenes. I just find it very odd that his friends don't seem to be as involved or interested in him being missing. Do they know he went missing on his own?

I can't imagine what the family is through. The closest comparison I have is my son who is in the Navy and on his second deployment. While I know he's out there somewhere I never know exactly where he is or when or if I will hear from him. It's a very scary feeling. I know in my heart he is safe and sadly the Laspisa's aren't able to have that same level of comfort right now.

Your son's service is appreciated. When war isn't raging (and I mean raging as we always have service members serving in dangerous positions somewhere), our appreciation of our military personnel isn't expressed as often or as loudly.
My husband joined when he was 19 years old. He did it after working an all night factory job while trying to put himself through his first year of college. The draft was still active back then and he had a number, but he enlisted in order to possibly have more influence over his placement. He couldn't work full-time and attend college too so he decided to try to become a pilot (which he accomplished).
Anyway, I didn't meet him until he had already served for sixteen years and spent seventeen additional years along with him as an army wife. Although, not my son, still very daunting times when he was deployed, whisked away quickly, dealt with all kinds of issues related to fellow wives and army life in general.

It's good you brought the subject up, because our soldiers (out of habit - sailors, airmen, etc.) really need the support of citizens behind them. Sometimes they may feel they don't have it. Then, for one person, I don't know . . . perspective is something to think about.

Hang in there though. Upon his return, encourage him to seek out opportunities. Specifically, suggest that he thinks about and applies for any opportunity the service offers that interests him. Other than serving his country, which no one can take away from him, he'll get something (education or skill) in return if he goes after it. Point out that he has to be proactive and put effort into finding out about existing opportunities. That's what my husband did. Today, opportunities exist but not every soldier steps up to claim them.

<modsnip>

He was saying he was moving on Oct. 9th just a few days after Bryce went missing. Which lead me to ask did he plan on moving before hand? Did Bryce know? Maybe that was part if what he needed to talk to mom about? Also what made him want to move out just days after Bryce went missing if he wasn't planning anything before?

Oct 9? That's quite a long time after Bryce went missing. Is this the correct date?

That's like 40 days after Bryce went missing, not right after. If they paid by the month, he would have given notice 30 days prior to moving out. Notice would have been able 10 days after Bryce went missing. If he didn't have to give a month's notice, then 40 days really is a long time. He would know by that time he could not afford the apartment alone any longer. FWIW.

Until Bryce is found, sometimes you just have to try to figure out where he's not. And each time you find where he's not, brings you closer to where he is. You can go thru a lot of not to get to the is.

Like the whole world? Just the northern hemisphere?
Imo if anybody knows where he is and allows a search to continue that involves resources that could be used elsewhere, isn't a fair and giving person theirself.
That is why, when people suggest that they earnestly believe that B is safe somewhere but just not ready to come out, their statement throws a big kink in the search effort machinery.

If true, I'd resent it if I was spending time and money physically searching.

That's like 40 days after Bryce went missing, not right after. If they paid by the month, he would have given notice 30 days prior to moving out. Notice would have been able 10 days after Bryce went missing. If he didn't have to give a month's notice, then 40 days really is a long time. He would know by that time he could not afford the apartment alone any longer. FWIW.

They just moved in to that place IIRC. But again he posted on FB or twitter Oct. 9th just a few days after Bryce went missing. So again my question is was it planned before Bryce left? How would you know your friend isn't coming back? That makes you have to give notice to move out. That's my question

They just moved in to that place IIRC. But again he posted on FB or twitter Oct. 9th just a few days after Bryce went missing. So again my question is was it planned before Bryce left? How would you know your friend isn't coming back? That makes you have to give notice to move out. That's my question

Since it was 40 days, maybe he found out he wasn't going to be able to pay the rent. Bryce disappeared August 30th, the end of the month. The rent might have been paid for September. But he would know in September if Bryce's parents weren't paying for October. Thus he said on Twitter he was moving. He might have known on September 1st he wasn't going to get anymore rent out of Bryce's parents until he was found. KWIM?

My dad is terminal and I've taken off work for the past three months. All I do is clean,cook and administer my dads meds along with diaper changes. My cousin went off on me the other day for ignoring her. It was over a missed call and text. I had doctors and nurses coming out of my home all day after a seizure. I get to points where I feel so overwhelmed I don't know how to properly respond and when I do I feel bad for not handling it all. I went through my ex being missing as well. I told some of you about him, an army major who never made his next post (base). There were days I didn't even respond to my my mom calling. I guess what I'm trying to say is I agree with this poster. I'm one of those people who gets back to everyone in a timely manner and the only two situations that I haven't were when I had/have extreme mental exhaustion. I know what this family is going through. They don't sleep well,barely eat and get excited to get let down. Give them a little bit of a break.

Shame on your cousin. She owes you an apology and you deserve better.
If she knows your character, your current stressful situation, and diapers - mother of a small child? Then, sorry, she's an idiot. Some people take advantage of the nicest people because they're spoiled brats or think they're queen or something. You don't have time to be mad but, if I were you, I'd wouldn't bother with her calls at all until she shows some understanding.

Unless there's been a misunderstanding or just a fluke, she may be someone I'd name 'a taker', one who always takes and makes unreasonable demands upon others. If anything, she should be worried about you and extend a helping hand.

This fits into case discussion because, if there isn't an understanding of or allowable inquiry of truth, trust breaks down and factions begin to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea