CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would explain why 'little Elisa' may well have scrawled the insulting epitaph on 'Big Elisa's' water tank grave, Latin Harry Potter style: FECTO C**T HER SUMA

I have no comment on the rest of your post, but regarding the graffiti: the same words are also written on a window near the cisterns.

Z0azycM.jpg

Note the inclusion of "2012", which -- if we can take it at face value -- suggests that this graffiti (and that near the cisterns) was created last year. Make of that what you will.

I have no comment on the rest of your post, but regarding the graffiti: the same words are also written on a window near the cisterns.

Z0azycM.jpg

Note the inclusion of "2012", which -- if we can take it at face value -- suggests that this graffiti (and that near the cisterns) was created last year. Make of that what you will.

If Elisa wrote both sets of graffiti the night she committed suicide in an 'alter' personality, then she may have made the error of dating it 2012. (If she wrote it in her 'little girl' alter, it could be that she hadn't accessed that alter since 2012, hence 'little Elisa' thought it was still 2012. 2012 coincidentally had a lot of flooding/doomsday significance to it due to films like '2012', and all of the other 'end of the world' hype, so the year 2012 could have contained traumatic triggers for Elisa's child alter)

If she didn't write any of the graffiti, she may have been taken up on the roof by some new friends she met the first night she arrived there, spotted the graffiti and had someone explain to her what it meant in English.

This experience, plus that of seeing the water tank so similar to Dark Water, may have been the catalyst for both her memories of the film and for her 'ghost sightings' on the final night of her life there. She might have taken the latin phrase as an omen or something that she felt summed up her feelings about adulthood.

two_thousand_twelve_ver3.jpg

If she was on some level conscious of turning 21 in 2012, then that could have played a part in her emotional upheaval as well, in that for many people the age of 21 is like the 'final deadline' for having to leave home. For many, the end of high school at 18 is time to fly the coop, while for others the very latest is age 21. For a lot of traditional cultures, the ideal is to leave one family to start another, and make the smooth transition from living at home to getting married. So maybe Elisa had felt herself under intense pressure to find a husband in order to leave home, and finally left Canada in shame at not having the ideal transition happen. A lot of depressed people actually feel OLD even at 21, should they not achieve all of the idyllic goals of youth ie. license and hot car at 16, hot sex life through high school, popularity, perfect high school grades, successful move onto college, marriage to that perfect teen sweetheart by 21, etc. etc. etc.

For some , its just too much to cope with when so many of those things just don't happen.

They are bombarded through popular culture that anything less is COMPLETE FAILURE, abject misery, confirmation of one's status as a reject , a loser, etc. They fall into a pattern of sexual and social dysfunction, isolation, insomnia, despondence, bitterness and self-abuse.

...and mental theories. Just because someone was on meds, doesn't mean that she was acting crazy at that time. It's unproductive to describe her mental "visions", unless there is a logical basis for the argument (ie. past history). Saying she might have been on drugs or mentally ill is one thing, but laying out wild theories on what she was feeling/thinking during an unproven, altered state of mind is another.

Not really. People in psychosis, either drug induced or organic, often become paranoid, agitated, suicidal, act bizarrely, remove their clothing, etc. Data and studies show that so, while it is all speculation, some speculation is rooted in logic.

Hi! I’m another newbie/former lurker. I’ve been obsessed with this case and have read all of the prior threads here on it. So much good sleuthing.

I am fairly flummoxed by the video, and since we don’t know how soon she died after that video (minutes? hours), I decided to focus mainly on how she ended up dead in a rooftop water tank. These are the major possibilities I came up with. Please add or refute as you see fit!

How does she get up on the roof?

1. She knows about the fire escape access (or a new friend tells her about it) and climbs up there on her own.
2. She knows from previously trying or from a new friend that the fire door is unlocked and alarm doesn’t work.
3. Someone lures her up there, whether by force (unlikely, IMO) or with the promise of socializing, fun, view of skyline, whatnot.

These first three options mean she goes up on the roof alive and dies there, either by accident, suicide, or homicide. Or she’s dead/unconscious:

How does she get into the water tank?

1. She researches the hotel ahead of time, knows there are tanks, and goes up to the roof with the intent of either playing around in them or killing herself.
2. She is up on the roof, either at the time of her death or earlier, sees the tanks, and decides to climb into one, either playing around or with the intention of killing herself. If an accident, she could be alone or with other people (assuming it’s a game or she’s hiding from someone
3. She is murdered elsewhere and placed in the tank (either view ladder or by dropping her from above).
4. She is murdered on the roof and placed in the tank. (Judging by the new pics of beer bottles, etc., on the roof, it’s clear this was a party place. Maybe she interrupts an employee/resident party, they assault and kill her, and put her body in the tank.)
5. She falls/overdoses/dies accidentally and is placed in the tank by the people she’s with.
6. She is placed in one of the tanks alive and dies then or later on (presumably from hypothermia, suffocation (if the hatch is closed), or drowning (was this absolutely ruled out?).

BTW, I did a search for people who have died in water tanks. The results I found were either by accident or suicide. The accidents seem to involve children who fell in ground-level tanks or workers who fell in while cleaning a tank. The suicides range from people hanging themselves outside the tank, to drowning themselves inside them (not on rooftops, though, as far as I can tell), to jumping off the outside of tall water tanks. Apparently there is quite a problem with water tank-related suicides in India, but nothing like what we see in this case.

Arguments for/against manner of death:

Accident:
Pro: She sounds free-spirited (solo travel) and friendly. Could have made new friends and tried to climb and enter the tank on a dare. Or she could have tried to hide in it, either from someone chasing her or as the result of a game (it does appear that she could be playing elevator tag in the video). The tank’s latch was apparently unlocked and she could have accessed the roof as described above.
Con: That’s a pretty specific accident to have. I also think that if she died accidentally near the tank, it’s relatively unlikely that her “friends” would have gone through the trouble to put her in the tank. Maybe they’d drag her in back of something or just leave her on the roof, but I would think that if they were freaked out, they’d want to take off asap.

What is she doing in the elevator?

I have no idea, but I lean toward her being drugged on something (either intentionally or not), including Ambien. Google “sleepwalking on Ambien”. It can make you do some crazy stuff—I’ve seen it in my friends and mother, who takes it. I do question the presence of her sandals, etc., if that’s the case, but I suppose if you can drive a car on Ambien, you can put on some shoes and a hoodie.

What I don’t think happened:

- cult sacrifice
- inside job to get publicity for the hotel

The first is intriguing because all the weird coincidences people have mentioned here, but I just don’t think it’s likely.

JMO, of course. Eager to keep seeing everyone’s ideas!

Snipped by me for space.
Great post!

However, I think you are omitting some possibilities. Like she got up on the roof because she went looking for a way up and found one. We already know it is accessible by the fire escape. Also, one of Elisa's tumblr posts had several surreal drawings of people climbing vertical sides of buildings and/or sitting on the ledges of roofs. She may have been drawn to the roof in an altered or psychotic state.

What about the water tank? Same thing. Elisa may have been drawn to the roof in a psychotic state. She may have then noticed the tanks. If paranoid or hearing voices for the first time, Elisa could have decided to try to go even higher and once on the tank, decided she could not access the next roof up from there so she decided to hide in the tank.

Finally, there is no evidence we know of that Elisa was hanging out with anyone at the hotel.

I'd like to know for certain if she was found nude. The interview posted earlier said they would address this as accident/suicide. But if she was nude that would change things.

Did she also have both her arms broken? Maybe she climbed to the top of that small maintenance building and decided to jump down on top of the water tank, but it wasn't covered, so she fell through and made a tremendous bang when her arms hit the rim. There was a "banging" type of sound noticed by one of the occupants of the hotel, wasn't there?

There are so many facts coming through and I would like to request for a volunteer who is very involved in this web forum to start a blog and catalog the known items and multimedia that has been collected so far for the rest of us to get our facts straight.

For me, Elisa being naked would only change things if they could not find her clothes or if they did, evidence of another person was on those clothes.

One thing I belive LE should keep in mind is that there might have been some person with a pathological obsession with serial killers, such as Richard Ramirez, also called The Night Stalker, who apparently lived at The Cecil Hotel, at floor 14, back in 1985, living at the Cecil Hotel at the time Elisa Lam was staying there, and who could possibly have planed to commit a murder in order to follow the path of his idol.

I actually saw a documentary at norwegian television a cupple of day ago, Feb 25, 2013 (Investigation Discovery by CBS Eye 2008) (I live in Denmark, but can watch Norwegian TV) and in this documentary it was stated that Richard Ramirez aka The Night Stalker, lived at The Cecil Hotel at the 14th floor, back in 1985 (possibly longer).

I couldn't find that documentary on youtube but I found another Youtube documentary which also stated that Richard Ramirez aka The Night Stalker lived at the Cecil Hotel:

At 27:00 minutes into the video you can see that Richard Ramirez, aka The Night Stalker, lived at Cecil Hotel, there is a image of the Cecil Hotel, and the voice-over says:

Also the serial killer Jack Unterweger stayed at The Cecil Hotel in 1991 while murdering L.A.

I am NOT saying that there is necessarily any connection to thise serial killer cases, however I DO belive that LE should have thise cases in mind when they investigate those persons who was living at the hotel at the time of Elisa Lam's death...

Snipped by me for space.

Hi! I haven't seen you for awhile!!!!!

Question about the serial killers, how would that knowledge help LE unless other dead, young women were found killed nearby?

The skid row area is actually quite few blocks to the east of the hotel. Still a creepy hotel but not part or near skid row...

I disagree. It's about a mile from skid row.

Was the lid on or off?

We don't know.

What's up with her swinging round house arm as she first enters the elevator to press the buttons?

Who does that? In what situation and why?

A person in a psychotic state?

I would think it's because the LAPD was investigating a crime scene and didn't want additional feet and hands to contaminate it before they were done.

Bingo. They had no reason to allow firefighters up there until they cleared the area.

I think you could be right--I'd missed Anasie's translation of the Chinese forum post where someone actually went and looked down from the maintenance building.

I do still think that it's not impossible that she could have been murdered with minimal trauma that was obscured by the fact that she was in water so long, as in the case I linked above. I don't think it happens too often, and I suspect that EL was in better condition than that woman, but I'm not really ruling it out either.

Elisa's death really bothers me...she's so many girls I've known, and to a lesser extent a girl I've been.

Snipped.
I agree. She could have been smothered. I think the evidence of that may not withstand days in water. By I am not a decomp expert!

This is an excellent question. Most anti-depressants have a short half-life, maybe 24 hours or so, which is why stopping suddenly is dangerous. Effexor is 99% out of the system within 1 day, but Prozac takes 25 days. I can't remember precisely what she was taking, I believe it might have been 5 different pills.

I don't know what happens with pharmaceuticals with someone deceased, though. That's a very good question, how these drugs would be distributed in someone deceased. And also, with her found possibly up to three weeks later. I wish I knew!

There's more info on this here:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsl...Watch/2010/November/going-off-antidepressants

But I just wanted to post symptoms of going off antidepressants for people to consider in relation to behaviour:

Sleep changes. You may have trouble sleeping and unusual dreams or nightmares.

Balance. You may become dizzy or lightheaded or feel like you don't quite have your "sea legs" when walking.

Control of movements. You may experience tremors, restless legs, uneven gait, and difficulty coordinating speech and chewing movements.

Unwanted feelings. You may have mood swings or feel agitated, anxious, manic, depressed, irritable, or confused — even paranoid or suicidal.

The balance issue may be shown in the video for a couple of seconds.

What I don't get is why the initial report said her body was found 'wedged in a water tank' and now the story has changed to her body being found floating face up in the water.
If she had just dived on in, why would they need to cut a hole in the tank to get her out? Why not just drain the tank and go in and retrieve the body?
Maybe someone has already answered that one, sorry if I missed it.

Another thing I noticed is Elisa's gesture in the elevator video right before her one last attempt to take the elevator down. She puts her hands up beside her head in a gesture that I've seen people do when they have heard enough in an argument. Its a common gesture that people make before walking away in exasperation, they motion as if about to cover their ears as they walk away. It basically says to the other person "I don't want to hear any more of this from you. This argument is over, I'm not going to listen to it or speak to it any more"
see what I mean at 1:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tma5vPe6EQ

It appears as though she could be arguing with an imagined ghost.
If she truly is bipolar, she could have a split personality (MPD/DID) with alter personalties or identities present in her mind, and a schizophrenic
tendency to 'hear voices' and carry on arguments between the differing 'alters' in her mind, which is said to be commonplace for people with the condition.

The following insight is chilling.....

The movie Dark Waters features a little girl who is haunted by a little girl who died in the water tank on the roof of her building. The movie came out in 2002, which means that 21 yr. old Elisa would have been around nine or ten years old if Elisa had seen it when it first came out. The fllm was available in North America with English subtitles. If at that time Elisa had already been experiencing MPD with a younger little girl 'alter personality' , then seeing the film Dark Water may have been extremely traumatizing for her.

But the problem is that there are two people living inside of Elisa. The little girl is going to have to go. Maybe Elisa has to choose which one of them will live and which will die.

If this seems out of the realm of possibility, consider that Elisa may have had a fairly severe psychiatric disorder. She didn't end up on all that medication by accident. Further, as a previous poster just pointed out , she was on hallucinogenic antidepressant medication which has been proven to make people susceptible to extreme acts of violence or self harm.
In this case it appears that it may have been a case of both. One alter inflicting extreme violence on the other, and the other alter offering no resistance in an act of self harm (suicide).

Snipped by me for space. Interesting post!!!

BTW, MPD is very, very, very rare.

My translation of Chinese forum http://bbs.tianya.cn/post-free-3077181-101.shtml#ty_vip_look[VB调查]

Okay me and Brandon finally reached the roof.

Before we did this, we looked at the floor plan and saw that there are 3 fire escape stairs in this hotel. But I thought that the fire escape stairs on the front of the building as well as the middle of the building are not that worth trying, so me and Brandon decided to take the fire escape stairs at the back of the hotel (on the part of the hotel building marked C on the floorplan shown below in the photo)

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134568477.jpg

This is the reason why I chose the fire escape stairs on part C of the hotel.
On part A of the hotel, the fire escape stairs face the main street and opposite the hotel, there are several skyscrapers. On part B of the hotel, the fire escape stairs are directly facing the guest/residential rooms on part C of the hotel. Therefore it is more likely that the perpetrator and Elisa used the fire escape stairs on part C of the hotel - for privacy.

Facing the fire escape stairs on part C of the hotel is a car park and some lower buildings. No other high rise buildings facing these stairs for another good 1000 metres or so. Therefore for any crime to take place on these fire escape stairs at night, the likelihood of being seen by someone is very minimal.

This is a video we took when we were up on the roof : ¶¥Â¥_ÔÚÏßÊÓƵ¹Û¿´_ÍÁ¶¹ÍøÊÓƵ ¶¥Â¥

As can be seen on our video :

1. Going up to the roof is not a difficult accomplishment. You just need the guts to do it. Because the ladder that leads to the roof from the fire escape stairs is completely vertical, those who are afraid of heights or are timid would probably not dare to attempt climbing it.

2. In regards to the graffiti, we can see several areas on the roof which have graffiti on them. We can thus surmise that quite a few people have climbed up to the roof. As regards to the rumours surfaced on the internet about claims that Elisa's death was some cult/satanic murder, we think the likelihood is quite low. Reason being that if it was indeed cult/satanic related, then there should only be a few graffiti marks up here confined to one or two areas that all relate distinctively to this cult/satanic practice. Yet we saw a variety of different graffiti made in several different spots on the roof, which thus leads us to conclude that these graffiti were more likely the works of hotel staff, guests or residents in this hotel.

3. The loft/attic up on the roof is for elevator equipment and storage. It has 2 levels within it - upper and lower level. The upper level of this room is locked - the sound of machine humming can be heard coming from it. This is for the machinery. The lower level of the loft/attic is not locked - very dark inside with no light - there is a large ventilation pipe inside. On the floor is some black plastic bag, and some trash.

According to the video, we can glean the following information and conclusions :

1) If Elisa and the perp willingly went up to the roof in the first place, it wouldn't be difficult to dispose of her body in the tank.

2) If the perp had moved her body to the roof from downstairs, by carrying her on his back for example, it is difficult, but not impossible. After considering the possible risk of accident/mishap from carrying me on his back and attempting to transport me up to the roof from below, me and Brandon decided to abandon our initial plan to test-drive the theory that Elisa's body could have been carried up to the rooftop by the perp (wanting to dispose of her body)

3) There was really a lot of different graffiti on the rooftop, which lowers the possibility that this was in any way Satanic/cult related.

4) There is a loft/attic on the rooftop. Which makes it possible that Elisa could have been imprisoned there for a while before her death.

5) In the picture I posted earlier on :

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134563140.jpg

It can be seen that police and other personnel were standing by the door of the loft/attic. So I believe that the police have already checked round the lower unlocked level of the loft/attic.

Although both upper and lower levels of the loft/attic had their doors shut, I was able to open the door to the lower level.

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134569847.jpg

Inside here, there is a large ventilation pipe and lots of different tools.

I tried opening the door to the upper level of the loft/attic. It was locked.

Here is another video we took while on the hotel roof - its to do with the water tanks. Ë®ÏäÌØд_ÔÚÏßÊÓƵ¹Û¿´_ÍÁ¶¹ÍøÊÓƵ Ë®ÏäÌØд

From this video, we can glean the following information :

1) There is a ladder right beside the tank (where Elisa was found). This wooden ladder looks very old. It looks very weather-beaten, therefore it must have been left here permanently. I climbed up this ladder with ease, and upon closer inspection, it seems this ladder has never been moved from this spot. This can explain why Elisa's body was found in this particular tank - because the wooden ladder is always right next to it.

2) At the BOTTOM portion of this water tank, there is an outlet where the water flows OUT into the rest of the hotel. This water outlet does not measure any larger than one palm-width across - the diameter not more than 10 centimetres across. Police say that the likelihood of Elisa's clothing being sucked into this outlet is very minimal. If her clothes did get sucked out through this outlet, it would result in pipe blockage.

At the TOP of the water tank, there is a piped outlet where water flows INTO the tank.

As per our web friends have suggested, another way of getting to the top of this water tank is via the red ladder on the side of the loft/attic. I climbed up this ladder rather easily. It is nearly 90 degrees vertical, but with a slight incline.

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134571020.jpg

But if one tried to carry the corpse on one's back and climb this red ladder, it is more difficult. More difficult than climbing up the wooden ladder on the side of the water tank.

After coming up to the roof of the attic/loft, I noticed that the television receiver and the chimney all had some graffiti written on them.

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134571586.jpg

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134571607.jpg

After walking to the side of roof of the attic/loft, I can see the top of the water tank.

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134571624.jpg

This tank is located the closest from the side of the roof of the attic/loft.
There is a drop from here to the water tank of a maximum of 2 metres.
Its not hard to go down to the tank from here.

Also, as Brandon said to me, it would be possible to lower the body down into the water tank from the rooftop edge of the attic/loft. Because this water tank is the closest to the loft/attic. The other tanks are further away. Regardless of the fact, it is still considerably difficult to attempt such a feat.

However, one could also first climb down from the attic/loft rooftop edge onto the water tank first, before disposing of the body in the tank.

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134571648.jpg

This is the water tank next to the one Elisa was found in. It has a lid on, but the lid is not locked.

From my observation, the lids on the outer water tanks appeared to be slightly smaller in size compared to the lids on the tanks closer to the attic/loft building.

We also discovered 2 more things whilst standing on the roof of the attic/loft :

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134572602.jpg

http://img3.laibafile.cn/p/m/134572650.jpg

Yes. We found empty beer bottles on the roof of the attic/loft building. One under the chimney. The other under the dish.

My first thought : Someone had been drinking at this spot.

My second thought : Could Elisa have been to this very spot to drink too?

My third thought : Such crucial evidence might have Elisa's fingerprints on them. Why didn't the LAPD take them back for further investigation?

My fourth thought : No matter whether the police had taken all evidence back, or whether the police failed to find these 2 pieces of evidence - Why would there still be people coming up to the rooftop of the attic/loft to drink after the discovery of Elisa's body here?

My fifth thought : After such a grim discovery at the hotel, who would still wish to come up here to have a drink? Other than the murderer himself?!

My above thoughts are not comforting and throw up lots of suspicion.

If the police cannot even find such crucial evidence, if the police failed to bring crucial evidence back for further tests/investigations, then what can we say about the competency of the LAPD? Are they doing their jobs properly?

If the police did not find such evidence when they were searching this place, if this evidence wasn't present at the time, then who else would still dare to come up here to have a drink, apart from the murderer himself? Coming back to where the murder had taken place in order to relive or savour the murder scene in his head all over again? If that's the case then how sick is this murderer indeed?

We are almost finished with our field report of the Cecil hotel. I have more pictures that I haven't put up, but if anyone is interested, I will supply these additional pictures to them.

Hopefully the reader would have gotten some useful bits of information from what we have shown here. Before this trip, there were lots of "ifs" and imaginary scenarios offered to us. As our investigation deepens, we will come upon different ideas and follow different leads. This is a good thing.

As for me and Brandon, we have developed our own inferences from our field work today. Let me list them below.

First of all however, let me answer a few questions from our friends online.

1) The question of Elisa's footwear / sandals.

The hotel does not provide sandals/flip flops for guests, so the sandals/flip flops she wears in the video cannot have been given to her by the hotel.

2) The M level of the building is the Mezzanine area. It is right above the Lobby. There is a canteen and a lounge. The B level is the basement. When we reached the B level we could hear sounds of hotel staff chatting and laughing. Before we went it was suggested to us that there might be a room on the 15th floor where Elisa's body was stored. We investigated the 15th floor ourselves and did not find any such suspicious room.

3) There are reports saying that Elisa's body was found with all four limbs broken. Upon investigation, I've found there were no official reports of Elisa's limbs being broken. There was only official report saying that Elisa's limbs looked abnormal, which may be a result of her body being suspended in water and subject to water currents for an extended period of time.

4) The opening at the top of the water tank where Elisa was found was not small. Me and Brandon found we could each easily fit through the opening. Perhaps a very obese person may not fit through - but otherwise, any normally-sized person (even one who is slightly plump in appearance) would probably fit through that opening easily. Even if Elisa had been murdered first before her body was disposed in the tank, it would be possible to fit her body through the tank easily.

Now that we have addressed some of our web friends' most pressing questions, we shall go into our own inferences from the field work we accomplished today.

1) How did Elisa's body end up in the tank?

a) She could have wanted to end her own life. Climbed up the wooden ladder on the side of the water tank, open the lid and jumped into the tank.

Point of suspicion : If she did commit suicide, then its very hard for her body to achieve the kind of position in which she was later found - i.e. head pointing downwards towards the tank base, feet pointing upwards towards the tank top. This is because when one tries to die by drowning, the body's instinct is to struggle to breathe, and thus the resulting body posture of a drowned person is normally head pointing upwards towards the sky, feet pointing downwards.

b) Elisa committed suicide by jumping from the top of the attic/loft roof into the water tank opening. In actuality, this is not as easily done as our web friends might imagine. The thing is, there is a distance of about not more than 2 metres from the attic/loft roof to the water tank. And the top of the water tank is not smooth/straight, and there are gaps and openings in between. For a girl to attempt to do this is extremely difficult - this is my opinion after personally inspecting the place.

c) Elisa's body was disposed of into the water tank by the perpetrator by climbing up the wooden ladder first. This is a more probable scenario. Because it's much easier to do this via going up the wooden ladder, than from the roof of the attic/loft building. It would also be easier to push the body into the tank slowly and surely by doing it this way. One man would be able to do this on his own. If it's a two man job, it'd be very easily done.

d) Elisa's body was lowered into the tank from the rooftop of the attic/loft building. This is considerably difficult. It doesn't matter if the perpetrator tries to do this by first jumping off the attic/loft building rooftop before disposing her body, or by dumping her body straight down into the tank opening from the roof of the attic/loft building. Quite impossible for one man to do this on his own. But may be possible if there were two men involved.

From the above we can surmise that :
1) It's easy to enter the water tank.
2) Even easier to climb up the water tank from the wooden ladder leaning on it.

2) How did Elisa end up on the roof of the hotel?

From our own field work today, we deduce that most people (those who are familiar with the place) would find it easy to go to the rooftop. All they need is guts to do this. Besides, from the things we saw on the roof, we can surmise that quite a number of people have gone up there before. From the graffiti, we can surmise that some people go up there on a very regular basis.

Besides, someone was drinking beer at the rooftop.

Therefore there are a few possibilities as to how Elisa ended up going to the roof :
a) She could have gone up there herself via the fire escape stairs.

b) She could have gone up there with a member of the hotel staff. The hotel staff would have the keys necessary to unlock that locked door at the top of the flight of stairs inside the hotel, and the staff member would know how to disable the alarm.

c) She could have followed someone up to the rooftop. This person she followed could have been a hotel member of staff, or a guest at the hotel (leaning towards a guest who is very familiar with the place).

d) Her dead body could have been carried by a member of the hotel staff up the hotel stairs through the alarmed security door onto the rooftop (one man would be able to do this on his own, and two men would accomplish this very easily).

e) Her dead body could have been carried by someone up the fire escape stairs onto the rooftop (it would be of considerable difficulty for one man, but not impossible. and for two men, it would be doable for sure.)

From the above info, we can surmise :

Any hotel staff or regular guest to the hotel can go up to the rooftop.

One man can commit the crime and dispose of her body on his own.
Two men (or more) can easily do this.

It is more likely for Elisa to have ended up on the rooftop via the fire escape stairs (whether she was dead or alive at the time)

It is far more likely for Elisa and her murderer to have gone up together (alive) to the rooftop via the fire escape stairs.

3) Where could Elisa have been prior to going up to the rooftop?

The CCTV footage is the last we see of Elisa's movements. From the footage we see that she exits the elevator to the left. Thus she might have :

a) Gone back to her own room via the hotel stairs by the elevator. Because the layout of the hotel is such that the stairs are "open plan" and unobscured from the guest rooms, a single girl may feel relatively daring enough to go down those stairs on her own even on a late night.

b) Gone to a room on the 14th floor. (whether she was forced to or willingly did so)

c) Gone to a room on the 15th floor. (whether she was forced to or willingly did so) From our field work today, we know that it takes a maximum of 10 seconds to get to the 15th floor from the 14th via stairs. Thus we cannot eliminate the possibility that she did go to the 15th floor.

d) Why posit a possible 13th floor? Because it isn't logical. We can already confirm she was staying on the 4th floor of the hotel. So if she wanted to go downstairs, or pretended to go downstairs, she wouldn't have gone up one floor and then took the elevator down to go downstairs.

e) She may have been on the 15th floor wanting to get into the lift. Someone on the 15th floor is trying to dissuade her or not allow her to go back to her room. She walks down to the 14th floor to take the lift. After that the person on the 15th floor comes down the stairs to the 14th floor as well to find her. This is a possibility we cannot dismiss either.

f) Since there is a maximum of 10 metres between the elevators and both flights of stairs on either side, and the floor heights are very low, going up and down the floors via stairs is a very convenient and fast method. It is very hard to deduce if the person she was seeing is living in the room on the right or the left side of the elevator on the 14th floor.

I personally measured the time it took for me to go up the stairs from where the 14th floor elevator was situated to the where the 15th floor elevator was, and then went back down to the where the 14th floor elevator was again. This did not take me more than 1 minute to accomplish.

g) Elisa could have returned to her room on the 4th floor, got killed, the murderer then transported her body to the 15th floor. Time taken to do this shouldn't have taken any more than 10 minutes. If the perpetrator is a healthy, fit and strong man, he may take as little as 4 to 5 minutes to do this. And then after that, he disposed of her body into the water tank.

I shall not be discussing Elisa's behaviour in the video here, as there has already been extensive discussion of that prior to this post, and I have already made my opinions clear regarding why she acted the way she did.

I shall end this post here. I will post more if I have any more to say. Do take your time to pore through all this information.

VB调查

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to translate these posts. Those guys did a fantastic job investigating and definitely makes me wonder even more about what may have happened. Especially interesting is the maintenance room. Could it be that they removed evidence? Her clothing was found here, glasses, dna?

The fact that the ladder is left out is questionable. We aren't certain it was left there when Elisa went into the tank. It does look weathered and remained there after the removal of her body. Though we don't know with 100 certainty that it has been there all along.. it appears to be a different ladder than the one that looked chained to the tank next to it in photos previously posted to the forum.

In the video it appears Elisa is not wearing her glasses and that she is very near sighted. I doubt she would climb to the roof without being able to see. I've wandered around a hotel in the past without glasses for a quick run to soda machines but I personally wouldn't go up to the roof voluntarily without being able to see properly, especially via the fire escape. Not being able to see properly makes a person feel very vulnerable and scaling the outside of a building isn't exactly going to make a person feel safe if they can't see. Perhaps the video in the elevator has nothing to do with her disappearance. Maybe it was taken before she went to her room and grabbed her glasses, then decided to go up to the roof, maybe take some pictures before leaving LA. I don't really see doing this at 2am but it's possible and who's to say it didn't happen at 6-7 during sunrise. I can see where a person already on the roof could grab her, she met someone or someone followed her up. perhaps dragging her into the maintenance room, raped her, killed her, then hide the body in there until it gets dark or if already dark just disposed of the body.

It's the ease that she enters the elevator & no glasses that throws me when I watch the video. She doesn't seem concerned at all when she first enters the elevator and it just might not have very much to do with her death.

They said she was confirmed to be in a 4th floor room. Is this for certain? I have yet to hear of any floor she was booked on? Which is what led me to believe she could have been placed on a higher floor. I believe SMeinser said they tried to give him a room on 14 when he first arrived. So apparently not all Stay guest get a room on a Stay floor. Bait and switch for a room on a Cecil floor is possible.

The more I read posts the more I want to bang my head against a wall. No facts just mean wild speculation and immense frustration.. At least the Chinese guys were able to get some idea of what it's like in the hotel but I wish the LAPD would've released a bit more info/facts. . Never been into this sort of thing before but for whatever reason this has me really intrigued.

I think you could be right--I'd missed Anasie's translation of the Chinese forum post where someone actually went and looked down from the maintenance building. I'd imagined the tank being close enough to drop a body on top of it, then climb down and put it in the opening (I didn't really imagine lowering it perfectly). But since they've been there and I haven't, I'm not too sure. It's because of the "no trauma" finding that we're assuming she couldn't have been dropped, isn't it? I've really been wondering if "no trauma" really means absolutely no trauma, or if it means that they couldn't find any trauma that would have led to her death. It seems like in the process of moving a body, it would pick up some post-mortem bruising. It's so weird, and I often wonder if all of our assumptions are off because we're missing key information.

I do still think that it's not impossible that she could have been murdered with minimal trauma that was obscured by the fact that she was in water so long, as in the case I linked above. I don't think it happens too often, and I suspect that EL was in better condition than that woman, but I'm not really ruling it out either.

Elisa's death really bothers me...she's so many girls I've known, and to a lesser extent a girl I've been.

I think the police have already made it very clear that there are no trauma injuries of any kind to suggest foul play. Also, I think the body was found in relatively good condition because of the cold weather at that time.

Some wonder whether the door hatch to the water tank was found open or closed. We can be certain that it was open because should it have been closed, police would have eliminated accidental death and classify it foul play.

Now this raises one question. While searching for her on the rooftop when she was still considered missing, the police surely would have checked the top of the maintenance building. And if they had looked down from there to the water tanks, would they not have noticed the open door hatch and suspected something, unless the door hatch at that time was closed and only found open when the body was discovered, which would then indicate foul play? So I wonder if the police had taken only a cursory look at the top of the maintenance building and did not set foot on it.

I know someone with bipolar disorder who became entirely delusional and irrational. Couldn't stop talking and gesticulating. Her family was able to talk her out of running down the street naked but that's where her mind was going. And that's what makes me think that this could a case of someone off their meds or their condition was triggered by alcohol or other drugs in combination with prescription medications for the treatment of bipolar.

Yes, I agree. I've worked in a mental hospital for a while so have seen this too. I feel quite firmly that it's possible she went off her meds, either because they were lost or stolen. A sudden stoppage, coupled with any external stressors, is a very bad recipe.

What's interesting though, is if they perform toxicology tests, they won't be able to tell if she missed doses of what she was prescribed, only if she was given something illicit. So I am afraid this might be hard to detect/prove/disprove.

Wasn't it already reported that she only had an episode of mild depression? Where did the bipolar disorder come from? Sorry, I might have missed it.

From anansie's interpretive post on previous thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8947313&postcount=1265"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #3[/ame]

There was only official report saying that Elisa's limbs looked abnormal, which may be a result of her body being suspended in water and subject to water currents for an extended period of time.

Somewhere else, it was mentioned that the head was in a certain direction and the feet in another (don't know the source of that info). When combined with a report indicating limbs looking abnormal, i thought of the possibility of cadaveric spasm. In reviewing a drowning investigation article, i found the following of particular interest:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Drowning+investigations.-a0143342211

Any person who has died on land and remained in a terrestrial environment during the onset of rigor mortis will display a different posture. The head likely will be rotated to one side, a position almost never found in a drowning victim.

and from that same article WRT cadaveric spasm:

When initially recovered from the water, portions of the body--mainly hands and arms--may appear to be in full rigor mortis, even though only a short time has passed since death occurred. This phenomenon, cadaveric spasm, results from the typically violent struggling of an individual at the time of the drowning. Cadaveric spasm forms only under conditions of extreme mental stress and indicates the victim's last thoughts and actions. It occurs virtually instantly and only in groups of voluntary muscles, unlike rigor mortis, which progresses evenly throughout the body at a steady rate.

I'm not saying either of the above is necessarily so in Elisa's case, but in considering the limbs appearing abnormal, something to keep in mind.

Wasn't it already reported that she only had an episode of mild depression? Where did the bipolar disorder come from? Sorry, I might have missed it.

That's correct Qrious .. to my knowledge, the only official reference to any depression was in the initial Missing Persons Report on the LAPD site, it was referred to as "mild depression". Anything beyond that appears to be speculation.

ETA: Actually, the wording was "possibly suffers from mild depression":

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...9QssLA&sig=AHIEtbSC2fY_avfIu0ShxDwuFIA536W_Kw

Can someone please clear up a few things for me? The maintenance worker found her body in the tank, correct? So why do fireman arrive and cut a square opening in the top of the water tank lid? How did the worker find her body in there unless he could access the tank? And if HE could access it without cutting an opening in the top, why did fireman have to do that?

And how the heck could Elisa get into that tank if there was no opening already in the lid? Am I missing something here?

The gist of it was that the the ME needed to determine whether the victim was strangled/asphyxiated on Michigan state land or drowned after she was dumped in a federally-owned lake. This was an important distinction, because if her case was under federal jurisdiction the killer could get the death penalty. This was never truly determined, but the prosecutor was able to get the death penalty anyway (since overturned on a technicality). ]

It should be rather easy to find out whether she was strangled or not, as bones aren't effected by water (at least I don't think it's very likely during that comparatively short amount of time).

In addition to being of interest to living humans, the hyoid bone is also sometimes important in forensic analysis. When the hyoid bone is broken, it is a strong indicator that someone was strangled, as the bone is otherwise extremely difficult to break. Therefore, forensic analysts often check on the condition of the hyoid in a suspicious death, especially in the event that only skeletal remains are available for autopsy, as a broken hyoid can seal the deal, as it were, providing evidence of a clear case of strangulation.

Source: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-hyoid-bone.htm

Also very interesting yet a little more scientific:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8934706

The hyoid is the U-shaped bone of the neck that is fractured in one-third of all homicides by strangulation.

Can someone please clear up a few things for me? The maintenance worker found her body in the tank, correct? So why do fireman arrive and cut a square opening in the top of the water tank lid? How did the worker find her body in there unless he could access the tank? And if HE could access it without cutting an opening in the top, why did fireman have to do that?

And how the heck could Elisa get into that tank if there was no opening already in the lid? Am I missing something here?

Yes you are missing something MK ;)

There is a hatch in the top of the water tank (presumably through which the maintenance worker was able to see her body). The fireman could not appropriately access and remove her body from that hatch, and had to cut another, larger hole on the side of the tank, down closer to the bottom, drain the tank, and thus remove her body.

hth

Because EL was, for some reason, visibly impaired, she couldn't remember which floor was hers, so she went to the 14th floor, because she remembered it was a middle button, and perhaps confusing the floors "4" with "14". She tried to enter what she thought was her room, and this alerted the occupant of that room.
She comes back to the elevator.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM"]Elisa Lam Video - YouTube[/ame]
Start the video.
0:07, she's trying to read the numbers, but can't, so she just hits all the buttons in the middle row, and then hits the "HOLD DOOR" button, thinking it reads, "CLOSE DOOR".
00:20, the occupant has left the apartment, is holding the elevator button in the hall, and is outside the vision of the camera. He says calmly, "hey, get out of the elevator."
00:24, she checks the hallway, and sees the man standing by the button. She positions herself to view the the man, and is waiting for the elevator doors to shut. The occupant holds the button to the elevator, and calmly asks who she is.
00:37, She approaches the man and attempts to apologize.
00:48, the occupant tells her to get out of the elevator. She shyly and slowly begins to, but sees danger.
00:53, the occupant pulls out a gun, and this causes her to jump. The occupant says, "spread your legs", and she complies. The occupant is now telling her to come closer to him. She doesn't understand there's a camera in the elevator, while the occupant is fully aware of this.
1:03, the occupant grabs her at gunpoint, makes her place her hands on her head, demands to know who she is and what she's doing there, and tells her to get out of here or he'll kill her, and he says, "you've got 20-seconds to get out of here". and he releases her.
1:30, she enters the elevator and is terrified. In a panic, she hits all the buttons in the middle row, but she keeps hitting the "HOLD DOOR" button. The man is counting down, and she doesn't understand why she can't leave.
1:50, exactly 20-seconds later, the occupant hits the button again and orders her to come back. She's in tears and is trying to say she's confused. The occupant doesn't believe her.
1:57, the occupant grabs her neck and places his gun on the back of her head, she's pulling away, giving the strange look about her arms, because she's trying to trigger the sensor to keep the door open.
2:05, the occupant notices what she's doing, grabs her neck, and gives her a yank and tells her to shut up, and she completely submits.
2:12, she begins begging for her life.
2:20, the occupant orders her to be quiet.
2:25, the occupant leads her away from the camera by her neck, and a gun to her head.
2:45 (aporox) the occupant lets go of the elevator button.
2:58, the elevator shuts, and begins going to the floors pressed.
It is my belief she was accosted by an occupant of the 14th floor, probably someone in a room with a fire escape access to the roof. My belief she's on the 14th floor is because of this picture...

http://i.imgur.com/we6I2JX.jpg

...this is a picture of the buttons in the elevator in that video. According to this, she kept hitting all the buttons in the middle row, in this order from top down, 14, 10, 7, 4, M, B, and "HOLD DOOR". She was staying on the 4th floor, and I believe made a simple error, due to not wearing her glasses, where she picked "14".

You'll notice in the video that the top button in the middle row does not light when she presses it. That is because, as you see in the photo, it's the button for the 14th floor, and she's already there.

What happens then till she ended up in the tank is anyone's guess, but I believe her time was very quick. Check out this news report from Stephan Chase for KTLA News, specifically the testimony of Bernard Diaz starting about 1:30 in. He talks about an "explosion" that "knocked him out of bed".

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...zOe-qfczXuQhyUg&bvm=bv.42965579,d.b2I&cad=rja

This "explosion" was caused by Elisa taking off her clothes to better swim, and the clothes clogging the pipes. This caused a separation of water in the pipes, which causes a vacuum effect that will eventually fall to it's own pressure and "burp", typically resulting in a very loud noise and pipe damage. I do believe flooding was reported about that time.

It is my belief the occupant took her almost immediately to the roof, and ordered her into the tank, sealed her in, and simply went back to his room. The motive being that he's a paranoid schizophrenic and he viewed her as a threat, because she made the mistake of going to the wrong floor, and she tried to enter the wrong room. Based upon this, it would be a person suffering from this illness that also occupies the 14th floor.

I believe EL died of hypothermia within hours. The cold fresh water slowed her decay process, but in the middle of the month the temperature rose to 60, causing her body to decay, giving the blackish tint and the belief then was when she was placed in the tank.

It should be rather easy to find out whether she was strangled or not, as bones aren't effected by water (at least I don't think it's very likely during that comparatively short amount of time).

Source: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-hyoid-bone.htm

Also very interesting yet a little more scientific:

The hyoid is not always broken during strangulation, and at times, a broken hyoid can exist when strangulation did not occur. When it is broken however, it is a strong indicator of strangulation.

You needed to read further in the link you provided.

The hyoid is the U-shaped bone of the neck that is fractured in one-third of all homicides by strangulation. On this basis, postmortem detection of hyoid fracture is relevant to the diagnosis of strangulation. However, since many cases lack a hyoid fracture, the absence of this finding does not exclude strangulation as a cause of death

Yes, I know that, sillibilly, that's why I already chose the following quote above:

The hyoid is the U-shaped bone of the neck that is fractured in one-third of all homicides by strangulation.

:)

I'm sort of surprised the photographers that got the footage of the inside of the tank were able to do so. Logic would seem to be that management would increase security on the upper levels / rooftop due to the obvious curiosity factor if nothing else. I'm definitely grateful that they were able to get those shots since U.S. media has been lackluster in covering this, but another part of me was shocked someone was able to pull that off less than a week later.

Yes, I know that, sillibilly, that's why I already chose the following quote above:

:)

You said it would be easy to find out, and I was pointing out that it is not that easy to make that determination. Whether it was broken or not would have to be supported by other indicators.

JMO

I'm sort of surprised the photographers that got the footage of the inside of the tank were able to do so. Logic would seem to be that management would increase security on the upper levels / rooftop due to the obvious curiosity factor if nothing else. I'm definitely grateful that they were able to get those shots since U.S. media has been lackluster in covering this, but another part of me was shocked someone was able to pull that off less than a week later.

Didya ever get the impression that the Cecil just doesn't give a rats?

Snipped by me for space. Interesting post!!!

BTW, MPD is very, very, very rare.

I agree that it is very rare in mainstream society, but some would say it is quite a bit more prevalent in the occult/intelligence circles that Elisa Lam might possibly have been moving in.

Elisa Lam's California travels indicate that she may have been traveling under sponsorship or urging of someone
with intelligence ties to the Mkultra brainwashing sects operating in conjunction with Bohemian Club/Bohemian Grove occultists. There are indications that the Cecil Hotel may be connected with satanic networks which include LSD hippie/Rosicrucian orders and entities such as the band The Grateful Dead, who have been confirmed as members of Bohemian Grove with extensive ties to the Hells Angels, Kenneth Anger, Kesey and the CIA's LSD brainwashing experiments etc.

gd.1n

Grateful Dead logo

picture-351871.gif

See these posts for reference:

http://www.synchromysticismforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9302&sid=90403156198c873e0eefbbb31bcdb5a5

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1061262228"]Cobain murdered by CIA - Page 268 - David Icke's Official Forums[/ame]

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1061341246&postcount=5419"]David Icke's Official Forums - View Single Post - Cobain murdered by CIA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1061255474&postcount=5358"]David Icke's Official Forums - View Single Post - Cobain murdered by CIA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1061342316&postcount=5422"]David Icke's Official Forums - View Single Post - Cobain murdered by CIA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1061323709&postcount=5406"]David Icke's Official Forums - View Single Post - Cobain murdered by CIA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1061324010&postcount=5407"]David Icke's Official Forums - View Single Post - Cobain murdered by CIA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1061342395&postcount=5423"]David Icke's Official Forums - View Single Post - Cobain murdered by CIA[/ame]

I think the police have already made it very clear that there are no trauma injuries of any kind to suggest foul play. Also, I think the body was found in relatively good condition because of the cold weather at that time.

I went looking for what the coroner's offices spokesperson Ed Winter has been quoted as saying (as opposed to news outlets interpretations of what he was saying), and I think it's pretty interesting:

"They didn't find any bullet holes, they didn't find any stab wounds to my knowledge. So then you've got to go to the next step," Los Angeles County Coroner's spokesman Ed Winter said.

He said coroner's investigators would conduct toxicology tests to establish if Lam was on any medication at the time of her death and if it was at therapeutic levels. Her organs will also be studied to determine if she suffered from any medical issues.

"You see if in fact there were any heart issues, did she die of hypothermia, did she drown," said Winter. "Were her lungs filled with water?" (Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/22/us-usa-missingtourist-idUSBRE91I1BY20130222 )

and

"We want to know such things such as was she drunk, was she killed before she ended up in the tank, and how did she get in the tank," Winter said. (Laist: http://laist.com/2013/02/21/elisa_lam_autopsy_done_but_more_tes.php )

If anybody else can find any more direct quotes, it might be helpful!

Reading those direct quotes made me realize how truly unilluminating EL's autopsy really was--I thought we sort of knew that she didn't drown, but I see now that we really don't know for sure. And I don't think we should assume that her body had no marks (bruises or scrapes) upon it whatsoever, just nothing that would lead them to a cause of death or a conclusion of definite violence. It's extremely hard (often not possible) to tell if injuries are pre- or post-mortem when a body has been in water, so they definitely can't assume much from minor injuries in water cases.

About the hatch-- it's my guess that even if the hatch were closed, the police would still consider accidental death or suicide because anybody who went up there could have seen it was open and closed it without realizing there was a body inside? Most people wouldn't see it and a lot of people wouldn't close it even if they did see it, but the police would still need to take into consideration that it COULD have happened. It's definitely a good observation, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member