CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two links to the attack of the jogger in the same park that happened in December.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...n-Rancho-Bernardo/wQY_KHtjkUWuBy3sHvcJiQ.cspx

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/rancho-bernardo/article_975772c1-e315-5fb2-9291-613f1f687293.html

I was listening to 10 news this morning and the reporter said that Chelsea is anemic and sometimes faints when she is running. The terrain around the lake can be a little rough, maybe there is a possibility that she fell and sprained or broke something and couldn't make it back to her car.

There are search teams out in full force looking for the young woman, so I am crossing my fingers that she will be found safe.

Disappointed in the SD Crime Stoppers site. It needs to be more interactive and current, IMO.

Thanks for posting those articles. The first article said:
"The victim got away after she elbowed the attacker in the face. Police think he may have a broken nose.

The suspect is described as a white male in his mid-20s, 5'11", 230 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing a blue and white sweater and jeans."

It is so crucial to keep this search going now. Chelsea could be out there, maybe injured. Do they have enough people to search the area?

I contacted my son who works in a neighboring town. He may have already heard, but I just wanted to be sure and so he can advise his staff.

Hopefully they've contacted the local schools as well.

fran

They are doing a GREAT job of getting the word out and getting searchers out! (More pictures at link)

Major Search Efforts for Missing Poway Teen
By MICHELLE WAYLAND
Updated 10:51 AM PST, Fri, Feb 26, 2010

The parents of a Poway High School student are pleading for the public’s help to find their missing daughter, as resources from around the state join the major search effort.

“Anybody out there, if you know anything, please just help us bring her home. She’s such a good girl, she needs to come home,” Kelly King said.

Her daughter, 17-year-old Chelsea King, went for a run about 2 p.m. Thursday at Rancho Bernardo Community Park. When it got dark and her parents hadn't heard from her, they became worried and called police.

Deputies were able to track the long-distance runner’s cell phone and find her car at the park.

Multiple agencies are searching a 20 square mile area. The entire San Diego County Sheriff’s Dept. Search and Rescue team was at the scene, along with San Diego police and canine units.

“We’ve had Astrea up here in the air for hours,” Sheriff’s Dept. spokesperson Jan Caldwell said. “We’re right in the middle of a very active, aggressive search mission to find Chelsea.”

Investigators called in extra units from around the state to help search the spider web of trails in that area.

"We want to find this young person immediately and reunite her with her family. If she's... injured we want to get her warm and safe and medical care," Caldwell said.

A reverse 911 was also put in place to get the word out to the surrounding area.

“We still have not located her and we’re just praying for Chelsea to get home and find us,” her father Brent King said at a press conference Friday morning.

A television reporter at the scene described the search effort as one of the biggest she’s ever seen.

Hundreds of friends were searching for the missing teen overnight, but officials said their scent could complicate the search.

Instead, they have set up a base camp at the Rancho Bernardo Glassman Recreation Center and are making flyers, which they plan to distribute as far south as Tijuana and as far north as Los Angeles.

“All the volunteers that are out there now and they’ve been out there all night, thank you,” Chelsea’s mother said.

Investigators say Chelsea lives in Poway and knows the area well -- especially the running trails.

“She’s known to be a good runner, a fast runner and real strong and just loves to run,” Caldwell said.

Friends say Chelsea is a college-bound senior at Poway high school and well liked by everyone. They're stunned by her disappearance.

"I'm incredibly worried. I mean she's like my best friend I can't even describe what I feel," Mckenzie Lamont said. "She's responsible, she never gets into trouble. This is just out of her character."

Chelsea had run cross-country for Poway High and friends say it wasn't uncommon for her to run for hours at a time. She was also a peer counselor and played the French horn. Lamont says when she didn't show up for symphony Thursday night -- they got worried.

"I think everyone's still in their shock phase. This doesn't feel real to anyone yet," Chelsea's friend Susan Rudiger said. "We're just trying to keep our negative thoughts inside right now and really just try to stay positive in a time like this."

“She must be an amazing person because there are a lot of friends and family that are standing here,” Caldwell said. “That’s a testimony to the kind of girl that she is.”

Chelsea is described as having strawberry blonde hair, blue eyes; she’s about 5 foot 5 inches tall and weighs 115 pounds. If you have any information regarding her whereabouts, please contact investigators.

“Anything you can do, look at her picture, look for her, please keep your eyes and ears open and pray for her,” her father pleaded.

It is so crucial to keep this search going now. Chelsea could be out there, maybe injured. Do they have enough people to search the area?

I just posted some specifics about the search from an article. They're saying they are afraid all of the locals out searching may complicate the endeavors to follow her scent - so it sounds like they're now trying to limit it to the official searchers - of which there are quite a lot and more coming in from around the state.

I truly think it's unlikely, at this point, that she fell and was injured. With hundreds of people searching for more than 18 hours now, with helicopters, atvs, and many on foot, the trails Chelsea most likely would have been on would have to have been covered. So unless she went way off of a trail (which most in that area wouldn't do because the terrain gets rough and there is too much wildlife, snakes, coyotes, etc., especially around dusk) she should have been located.

Unfortunately, too, our weather is supposed to get bad tonight, and that's going to complicate efforts. She needs to be found before this next expected storm comes in because they'll have to halt many of the search efforts.

I've not heard the Astria helicopter for the last hour or so...hopefully they're just refueling and will get back up in the air shortly. This continues to be the lead story and is promo'd at commercial breaks, and it continues to be all over facebook and twitter.

While I think she's gotten way off track lately, it'd be nice if Nancy Grace would talk about it tonight - since she's been covering the McStay's periodically, and had covered Amber in the past, another person seeming to have vanished in a (much safer than the average) surrounding community is definitely troubling and might help bring renewed attention to all of the cases.

It's troubling, too, because about a week ago I saw a missing flier on a store in Rancho Bernardo for a boy who's missing (looked to be late teens earlier twenties). I was running out of the store to a meeting, and came home to try to find details online and haven't found anything about him...but I believe the missing date was late January. I can't find a thing about him online, even his name. So there could be another missing person, as well.

Searching is also being done from the water at Lake Hodges since many of the trails go back into the area around the lake, and it's a popular place to run. The new bridge that's been put in ups the odds that Chelsea could have also run across the bridge and could have gone onto the trails on the north side of the lake (into Escondido, then) as well.

Investigators Seek Help...

"As of 10 a.m., the canines being used were trained in tracking, not cadaver searches, he said. Later this morning, boats were expected to arrive to help search Lake Hodges, which separates north Rancho Bernardo from Escondido, Turner said."

gosh that video made me cry...I so hope this has a good outcome...However with all the recent cases I dont have much faith anymore. :(

I think that the police should also be looking for a mountain lion. It is not uncommon for them to attack joggers or bicyclists in California. I would be releasing some beagles as soon as possible to see if they pick up on a cat scent. Beagles are excellent at hunting cats and running them up trees. I dont think you can compare this story to the other person that was attacked by a person demanding money. I have a feeling this is a different kind of case but I hope for a positive outcome for her family.

Tim Miller from TES has also been in the area looking for the McStay family. It'd be great if they could use their resources for Chelsea, as well, since it's only a few miles away...and in this case there's a very concrete area to be starting searches.

It'd be great if Chelsea's parents could at least contact TES. Or LRC...they have been involved with many of the other missions persons cases here. I'm glad LRC's at least got the flier linked!

Oh, watching that video was heartbreaking....her poor parents....her mom looks absolutely devastated....my heart goes out to them.....I pray Chelsea is alright....

wow...her mom reminds me so much of Jaycee Dugard's mom from the pictures and video when Jaycee first went missing.

jmoo

Chelsea is a beautiful girl. OMG, how I pray they find her alive.

I'm trying to understand if it'd be possible for someone to abduct her as she was running. Someone could have tripped her or tackled her, but I don't picture it easy to have gotten her into a car unless they did abduct her near the parking lot. Wondering what others think happened.

I'm trying to understand if it'd be possible for someone to abduct her as she was running. Someone could have tripped her or tackled her, but I don't picture it easy to have gotten her into a car unless they did abduct her near the parking lot. Wondering what others think happened.

Rachel Cooke disappeared while jogging as well. Check out Texas Mist's signature on the previous page.

Here's the facebook group that's being updated with information about how people can get involved.

The news page is being updated. Here's the current updated (audio to the update at Chelsea's high school is available on one of the other facebook tabs)

Bolded is where locals can get fliers printed to distribute for free.

This page will be updated regularly

A MESSAGE FROM POWAY HIGH SCHOOL:

This is Principal Scott Fisher calling regarding the disappearance of Chelsea King, a senior at Poway High School. Chelsea, a long distance runner, went for a jog at the Rancho Bernardo Community Park after school. Her locked car with some of her belongings was found in the parking lot. Multiple agencies, including the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue Team, are coordinating efforts and the use of K-9s, mounted police, helicopters and ATVs to locate Chelsea.

Today our student services office is available and staffed with school and peer counselors to assist any students feeling distressed. We will also have room K-1 available after school for students to meet in support for the search efforts. I spoke to students first thing this morning to share information and let them know how they can help. I plan to share more information later in the day. As we get more information from authorities relative to how students and their parents can help, we will share that with them.

Any pertinent information related to Chelsea that could assist officials in their search should be passed along to the Sheriff’s Communication Center at 858 565-5200.
We thank you for keeping Chelsea and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

*Today we're organizing adults to distribute flyers in all directions beyond Poway throughout Southern California. (The kids are covering Poway.) If you have any questions please call my cell 858-437-3835. Thanks

*If you're in the Poway/RB area, Pat O'Sullivan at Village Mail & More by Albertsons on Pomerdo and RB Road will print copies for free.

PRINT AND DISTRIBUTE THIS FLYER:
http://rocket.s3.amazonaws.com/PERSONAL/MISSING chelsea king.pdf
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/26/search-continues-for-missing-poway-teen/

~~~

The school district also has a flier on their website and a district wide statement by the Poway Unified Superintendent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther