CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the Chelsea King website.

Also, multiple sources now saying the FBI is now involved in the search (most sources saying due to the belief she may have been abducted).

Investigators seek help in finding missing Poway teen

"We have probably 150 to 250 deputies, officers, agents and volunteers all night long and they will continue to stay here as long as needed," said Jan Caldwell, a spokeswoman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

Caldwell said the search is being assisted by the FBI, San Diego Police Department, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, Del Mar Lifeguards and search and rescue teams from Riverside County.

<snip>

A black BMW, believed to be King's, remained in the parking lot Friday surrounded by yellow tape.

Friday morning, law enforcement personnel from Riverside County arrived with canines to aid in the search. Additional canines from other agencies within San Diego County were also being used in the search, according to San Diego County sheriff's Lt. Harold Turner. Boats were also being used to search the adjacent Lake Hodges.

It's the top news story on all local news programs, and they are all live on location.

Helicopters are back overhead again at the moment - I can see and hear them.

According to KFMB, right now both news and sheriffs choppers are live overhead looking.

The photo on the flyer (where she's where a dusty rose-ish coloured top and her hair is down) was taken YESTERDAY in her photo class, so it's very current. It's great that in a missing person's case there is a clear photo taken the exact day the person went missing.

The sheriff is issuing a statement with an update shortly.

Amber DuBois' mom is out helping search.

There will be coordinated search efforts with the general public this weekend.

At 7:30 tonight there is a vigil at Poway High.

The San Diego
Sheriff Bill Gore is doing a press conference saying that they are hopeful to find some clues and that's why they have all of these resources out there.

Chelsea frequently would come here and go running 4-6 miles on the trails here.

Infrared cameras were being used last night and will continue to be used.

They will search even if it's as stormy tonight as they are expecting, but that will limit choppers.

They are extending beyond the trails and going into the neighborhood in Westwood, as well, and they did reverse-911 at 10 and 11 pm Thursday night into Westwood, RB on the east side of 15 (so near Battle Mountain, Eastview, etc.) and Escondido to the homes by Lake Hodges.

As he is talking they are also panning to show the Astria helicopter searching.

No reports of mountain lions.

She was a great student, also a peer counselor at the high school.

They are, as a matter of routine, looking into her cell phone and computer, but her phone was in the car and so they are looking into what was on the phone prior to that.

KGTV local news 10 has had over 15 straight minutes solely covering Chelsea's disappearance.

Experienced hikers and bikers are also out searching areas that most novice hikers/bikers/walkers/runners wouldn't know and are all carrying fliers with them. There aren't really any cliff/ravine areas, but there are about 27 miles of trails, some of which are more secluded. The bigger concern is the trails being slippery tomorrow after the rain.

Students were out in groups in the neighborhoods and businesses in RB, Poway, and Escondido and are papering everything with her fliers.

Another business doing free fliers are the local FedEx/Kinko stores for locals wanting to print more.

At 6 they will talk about the attack that occurred on the trails nearby and whether or not there's any reason to think there could be a link.

***Breaking News***

A shoe and possibly other items were just found in the area and they have roped off the area and have sheriff helicopters overhead that particular area.

Her parents were just dropped off by the Sheriff to look at the items and try to ID if they are truly belonging to her.

(For those who know the area, it's the area right under the bridge from the freeway - not up by the West Bernardo/Pomerado exit, but rather the area just north of the Duenda bridge, near where Escala has the big curve in the canyon on the east side)

***Breaking News***

A shoe and possibly other items were just found in the area and they have roped off the area and have sheriff helicopters overhead that particular area.

Her parents were just dropped off by the Sheriff to look at the items and try to ID if they are truly belonging to her.

(For those who know the area, it's the area right under the bridge from the freeway - not up by the West Bernardo/Pomerado exit, but rather the area just north of the Duenda bridge, near where Escala has the big curve in the canyon on the east side)

Doesn't look good...:(

A pedometer has also now been found in the area near the shoe. The shoe was brought to Chelsea's parents to ask if it could be identified as belonging to her.

The Astria chopper is overhead with the light on now searching that area near the location of the shoe. It's slowing traffic on the 15 freeway as people try to figure out what's going on.

Search volunteers report at 1pm Sat. at 11858 Bernardo Plaza Ct. Suite 200. 18yrs old w/valid i.d., dress for rain.

I started a candle group for Chelsea King. Prayers that Chelsea is found soon, and prayers for her loving Parents to stay strong, and prayers for the searchers to find her.

Please light a candle for Chelsea at the site below under the CKING group. There's also a Amber Dubois group.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=CKING

I'm hoping they show a zoomed out shot of where the spot of the shoe and pedometer have been found so I can ID it on a map for you guys.

Chelsea's car is being moved by authorities right now, as I said, her parents have just been brought in to try and ID the items.

The spot where the other woman was attack was much further into the neighborhood...down Duenda on Poblado about a mile west of West Bernardo near Moon Song and Smokesignal.

These trails are not unusual places for people to be out running, walking, biking, etc.

They're now saying rain might not start until morning - which is good for more searching tonight, but means the daylight hours will have more rain than originally expected.

Search volunteers report at 1pm Sat. at 11858 Bernardo Plaza Ct. Suite 200. 18yrs old w/valid i.d., dress for rain.

For those locals, that's across the street from the big Vons by the old library and Citibank building - down the street from Church at Rancho Bernardo which can be seen from the freeway.

TB what channel are you watching locally? TIA

I'm flipping between all three big ones (KNSD 7/39, KFMB 8, and KGTV 10) depending on what's on. Channel 10 seems to be doing the most update wise...I pretty much ignore KUSI 9/51 and the local Fox station unless they're the only ones on. Channel 8 has the advantage of having had their chopper up more when it was light, though.

KFMB:

Replaying the clip of her parents making their plea.

Sheriffs are definitely checking if those items belong to Chelsea. (Where they are showing doesn't match where they say they are found - they're showing further from the lake and nearer to the freeway overpass area, but they are saying the southeast area of Lake Hodges)

Crime scene experts are looking over her car for clues now that is has been removed from the parking lot. Her school clothes (seen in the photo on the flier where she's wearing the dusty rose colour) and phone were in the car.

Searchers are working overnight regardless of weather. Sheriff spokesperson cannot say anything about items found.

Praying for Chelsea to come home safe!

This really isn't sounding good :(

I'm going to email Nancy Grace and see if she'll cover Chelsea's story. I'm hoping Chelsea's story can go nationwide.

10News is doing a great job describing the extent of the search. They did report about some articles being found. The search is going on throughout the night. I know I can't rest and will be waiting to hear if Chelsea's been found. Gosh, her poor parents must be exhausted and worried sick.

Don't runners take their cell phones with them on a run? I thought they did in case of emergencies.

***Breaking News***

Just want to say Thank You TravelingBug for keeping us up-to-date on what's going on. You're doing a good service for Chelsea and her Family.

Im a bit confused..on page 1 in this thread someone mentioned that her running clothes were found IN her car but now ite being reported they found her pedometer? Maybe she keeps extras in her car? I first assumed maybe she was abducted before her run but if she had her pedometer then she was out on the run (or so we can assume). There is a lot of land to cover and i know if LE asked, a lot of people would go out there and search. I dont care if its pouring tomorrow, Id go in a heartbeat.

Im a bit confused..on page 1 in this thread someone mentioned that her running clothes were found IN her car but now ite being reported they found her pedometer? Maybe she keeps extras in her car? I first assumed maybe she was abducted before her run but if she had her pedometer then she was out on the run (or so we can assume). There is a lot of land to cover and i know if LE asked, a lot of people would go out there and search. I dont care if its pouring tomorrow, Id go in a heartbeat.

Glitter, originally they were saying her running clothes were in the car. Then reports were it was another set of running clothes found in the car (presumably her school cross country clothes). Now, they're only saying her school clothes from Thursday (the dusty rose-ish colour top in one of the missing photo posters that has an actual photo from yesterday) were in the car. Given that she runs for fun and for school, it's pretty likely there truly were at least another set of running clothes in her car, and that's where the confusion arose.

They definitely seem to think whatever happened occurred while she was running and was already out on the trails somewhere. One of the obstacles to searching was that there are SO many directions she could have gone from there - some are very clearly marked trails, but others are still quite widely used but not as obvious. That's why they were hoping the dogs would be of help.

All over facebook and twitter are people talking about searching tomorrow - and a lot of high schoolers are hoping they'll find a way to let them somehow help out even if they aren't 18. Today many stayed home and plastered places with posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike