CA CA - Christine Eastin, 19, Hayward, 18 Jan 1971

I knew Chris, went to Sunset with her. I wonder what the ties are to Richard Allen Davis to make people think that he may have abducted her? Was he living in Hayward at the time? Wouldn't he have talked about it by now? Chris was intelligent but also very kind. Now if someone came up to me at a car wash, and looked like Richard Allen Davis (rough looking, tatoos, etc.) I'd lock my doors and get out. However, if someone came up to me and asked for help and looked like Phillip Garrido did back in 1971, I might be inclined to help out. (yes, shades of Ted Bundy here) Maybe Phillip Garrido did exactly what he did to Katie Calloway to Chris, asked for some help with something and then bam. Maybe that's why the car was locked, but her purse left inside, because she went to help someone else. That would be Chris, she was a kind, giving person. Did they ever find the keys? Were they in the car or not? If not, did anyone look for them at Garrido's place, he WAS a hoarder, you know. This sounds more like a PG scenario than a Richard Davis crime scene. She was also his "type", blond with blue eyes. Where was Phillip Garrido in 1971? Can't seem to find much on him from back then. In her police report, Katie Calloway said PG told her he had done "this" (raped a woman) twice before, in the Bay Area and in Las Vegas. Where are those women now? If they are alive, why aren't they coming forward? It is a horrible tragedy that Chris' mom is now gone and had to go to her grave not ever knowing what happened to her beautiful daughter. None of us who knew her, will ever forget her!

Christine Marie Eastin
Missing Since: January 18, 1971 from Hayward, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: January 4, 1952
Height and Weight: 5'7, 110 pounds

It is the year of our 40th high school class reunion. Chris would be there if she were still with us, sharing stories of her life and family and children. But someone took her away from us 39 years ago and she has never been found. She was a Song Girl at the high school, full of spirit and life. At first the authorities thought she'd run away or something, but those of us who know her, knew that wasn't the case. Her mother has since passed away not knowing what happened to her daughter and not able to give her remains a proper burial. Her sister still looks for her. She is remembered by all of us who knew her and we will never forget her and that night she went missing. Someone knows what happened to her. 39 years later "that someone" could bring some closure to a devastated family. I have written the pd to enter her in Namus and so far I have no response. Her case here is listed under Cold Cases, if you have a moment, please check it out:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84670&highlight=Christine+Eastin

There was one report that said Chris had gone to the nearby Jack in the Box before going to the car wash. I'm guessing they found a receipt in the car and perhaps the leftover trash from the meal. If she went through the drive through, I wonder, cuz I can't remember that far back, were there surveillance cameras in fast food restaurants back then? Could someone have been following her since that stop?

It has been 40 years this month since Christine Eastin went missing, in 1971. I would like to add a few more pictures of her here, some different views which just may help someone remember seeing her. These are from 1969 and 1970.

Attachments

• Chris Eastin Collage.jpg
    Chris Eastin Collage.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 161
I wonder if the following unsolved murder might be connected to the case of Christine Marie Eastin's disappearance.

----------------------
Lynda Kanes, age 20
Abducted and murdered on Friday, 26 February 1971

On Friday evening, 26 February 1971, a coed with long black hair, named Lynda Kanes from Pacific Union College went missing.

Her car was found on the White Cottage Road turnout, Angwin, CA. Two pieces of her gold colored jump suit were found nearby and her portable radio on the car seat was still on and playing.

Snow had fallen and it took 8 days of searching before her body was found - 225 feet away from where her abandoned car was found.

Her body was found near Howell Mountain Road, under a layer of brush and logs and a torn barracks bag. She was wrapped in an American flag. She was badly bruised, had a twisted wire noose around her neck, and a bloody blow to the left side of her head. A bracelet on her wrist was missing a set of keys which had been attatched to it - probably taken by her killer.

--------------

Some investigators thought this was the work of the Zodiac serial killer, who was in the Bay area and active at that time, but he has never been conclusively linked to this murder.

I read this at the zodiac site:

#20, Lynda Kanes, was actually murdered by Walter Boyd Williams, known locally as "Willie the Woodcutter," and he was tried and convicted for her murder some fifteen years before Zodiac was published.

Frankly, I wouldn't be suprised if Rodney Alcala was responsible for Christine, he was a fugitive then, and I know his sister lived in the town next to Hayward, Fremont. It's a short jaunt down Mission Blvd. from Fremont to Hayward where the car wash was.

quote: I read this at the zodiac site:
#20, Lynda Kanes, was actually murdered by Walter Boyd Williams, known locally as "Willie the Woodcutter," and he was tried and convicted for her murder some fifteen years before Zodiac was published. unquote.

It does not surprise me too much regarding Robert Graysmith's list of possible Zodiac victims. Some of the names on the list are covered in detail in the text of the book, while others only appear in the appendix list itself with no explanation whatsoever as to why he included them on the list.

At least one other case on that list has been solved - somewhat. A girl who was listed as missing on the list had actually been found and remained a Jane Doe until identified in 2001. That Case is still unsolved, however, as to who killed her.

Christine did disappear right at the time the Zodiac killings were at their peak and when he was front page news. Whether or not he had anything to do with her disappearance is only speculation.

My point in mentioning the Lynda Kanes case is that here was a similar type of abduction - girl alone in her car - only a month later and not far geographically from eachother. They could be connected. If only more information was available...

There are a lot of possibilities regarding Christine's disappearance. And a lot of potential suspects.

Bumping for Christine. Forty years ago today, she disappeared, and she is not forgotten.

Wonder if there's a list of potential suspects that were out causing mayhem in the SF Bay Area around that time, who might be responsible for her disappearance? Here are three: Phillip Garrido, Rodney Alcala and the Zodiac killer. Alacla had a tendency to take his victims up to high points, lookouts. Who else might have logically been in the SF Bay Area that night that we now know have committed other murders, or sexual assaults?

Things I'd like to know: The report says the car was washed, so was the car found by the vacuums or was it parked somewhere else in the car wash lot? Were the keys inside the locked car, or not found? If not found, did she have a special key chain fob of any kind? Was she wearing any jewelery?

40 years is a long, long time. :(

It says on Wiki that Ted Bundy visited a former girlfriend in san francisco in 1973, dont know if he made a trip before that.

Possible match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/404ufor.html

Christine Eastin:
CEastin.jpg

CEastin1.jpg

CEastin2.jpg

Annie Doe:
404UFOR.jpg

404UFOR1.jpg

Keep in mind that while Annie Doe's hair appears red in the photo, they say her hair was "Brown hair with blonde streaks".

Annie: Estimated 16 - 20 years old

Height
Christine: 5'7; 130 pounds
Annie: 5'4" - 5'5"; 125 lbs.(Skeletal remains, so there would obviously be a difference.)

Distinguishing Characteristics
Christine: White and blonde.
Annie: Brown hair with blonde streaks. (Nothing about race, but going by the reconstruction, we'll assume she's white.)

Incident Location
Christine: Missing since January 18, 1971 from Hayward, Alameda County, California.
Annie: The victim was discovered on August 19, 1971 in Josephine County, Oregon. Estimated Date of Death: July 1, 1971. Skeletal remains.

Josephine County is only about 7 hours away from Hayward, California.

Since Annie Doe's body was found in the same year that Christine disappeared, it seems unlikely that Annie Doe wasn't taken into account and ruled out. But perhaps Annie Doe was overlooked?

Possible match?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/404ufor.html

Christine Eastin:
CEastin.jpg

CEastin1.jpg

CEastin2.jpg

Annie Doe:
404UFOR.jpg

404UFOR1.jpg

Keep in mind that while Annie Doe's hair appears red in the photo, they say her hair was "Brown hair with blonde streaks".

Annie: Estimated 16 - 20 years old

Height
Christine: 5'7; 130 pounds
Annie: 5'4" - 5'5"; 125 lbs.(Skeletal remains, so there would obviously be a difference.)

Distinguishing Characteristics
Christine: White and blonde.
Annie: Brown hair with blonde streaks. (Nothing about race, but going by the reconstruction, we'll assume she's white.)

Incident Location
Christine: Missing since January 18, 1971 from Hayward, Alameda County, California.
Annie: The victim was discovered on August 19, 1971 in Josephine County, Oregon. Estimated Date of Death: July 1, 1971. Skeletal remains.

Josephine County is only about 7 hours away from Hayward, California.

Since Annie Doe's body was found in the same year that Christine disappeared, it seems unlikely that Annie Doe wasn't taken into account and ruled out. But perhaps Annie Doe was overlooked?

EDIT: I contacted the Doe Network about this possible match, and according to them, the Annie Doe case is already being looked at by law enforcement in relation to Christine Eastin. No word on any conclusive evidence for or against the remains being those of Eastin. Come home soon, Christine!

So she was washing her car and then going to pick up her boyfriend from work. But then they talk of letting the boyfriend take his car home without checking it for evidence!

That seems peculiar to me! Am I missing something?

So she was washing her car and then going to pick up her boyfriend from work. But then they talk of letting the boyfriend take his car home without checking it for evidence!

That seems peculiar to me! Am I missing something?

Leprikawn: The car was found the next day at the car wash. Where did you see that the car had not been searched for evidence? Maybe I missed something, Leprikawn. Part of the problem back then, big problem.....was that no one got serious about missing persons soon enough. I believe it was 72 hours before a person was considered missing. Thank God some things have improved.

Bumping for Chris, it's been 42 years. Is it possible these guys were responsible, the Speed Freak Killers? Were they out in 1971?

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAULT/3d2...k-Killers/id-d3db62ff6e304aa9bc054d363da47090

BTW, I just now noticed there's an error on the Charley Project page for Chris, it lists 1971 as the disappearnce (true) but lists 1972 in the story, wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back