CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he should be considered as a suspect in the Mr Cruel case if the dates he was in Australia match up.

Mr Cruel was always suspected as possibly being a cop/ex-cop and showed a level of DNA awareness that was very unusual for the time.

Yes, the ages of the victims were different, but perhaps his tastes had evolved. It happens - look at Arthur Shawcross who murdered two children, before later moving onto adult women.

This would add another murder to his list - Claude Snelling, who the Visalia Ransacker shot and killed while attempting to abduct his daughter Beth Snelling. The bullets in the murder matched a gun stolen in one of the confirmed Ransacker burglaries.

Was Beth Snelling a child at the time?

They said at the press conference that DNA evidence linked him to the Maggiore murders. It surprised all of us watching at the time because nobody knew there was DNA collected from that murder.

I wonder if they got DNA from the shoelaces recently, now that DNA technology has improved to where police can get touch DNA.

I think he stopped because the cop job was the perfect cover and excuse to be out of the house at night... when that was done, he was done.

There are a ton of reasons police could be searching the backyard (just to be thorough, looking to see if he buried some of the items he stole, etc.), but in some of the photos/video they appear to be using ground-penetrating radar and marking spots in his backyard.

After Four Decades, Golden State Killer Suspect Arrested In Sacramento

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2018/04/25/suspect-arrested-in-east-area-rapist-case-reports-say/

[FONT=&amp]Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones says DNA with some of the same characteristics as the suspect’s came to light six days ago. He wouldn’t say how the new evidence was acquired.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]“It was DNA that was related. That’s all I can say,” Jones said. “I can’t say it’s a family member’s DNA. I can say there was, in employing this technology, there was a link between the DNA that we had and the potential for examining a universe of folks of which our guy was a member.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Jones said dozens of people with similar DNA characteristics were eliminated as suspects as investigators got closer to DeAngelo. A stakeout was ordered and DNA was collected from DeAngelo without his knowledge, but that sample failed to provide a match of enough markers to positively tie him to the crimes of which evidence is available.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Investigators then secured a second sample which gave them enough components that were consistent with what they were looking for.[/FONT]

bbm

I'm thrilled they made a match but curious as to how it came about. Hope we don't have to wait long for more info.

moo

I think he should be considered as a suspect in the Mr Cruel case if the dates he was in Australia match up.

Mr Cruel was always suspected as possibly being a cop/ex-cop and showed a level of DNA awareness that was very unusual for the time.

Yes, the ages of the victims were different, but perhaps his tastes had evolved. It happens - look at Arthur Shawcross who murdered two children, before later moving onto adult women.

He has lived in the same house since 1982. That would seem to rule him out as Mr. Cruel.

Okay, and so where did he get all the different vehicles?
Good question...perhaps the impound lot, or could he have stolen them, and then returned them with the owners none the wiser? He could have stolen car keys from houses possibly.

I totally don't get the Mr Cruel association. None of the Golden State Killer's victims (that I'm aware of) was underage, while none of Mr Cruel's victims was adult.

The Visalia Ransacker attempted to abduct a teen girl (I believe 14), and Visalia and Sacramento LEOs seem fairly sure these were among JJD's first crimes. I believe one of this other victims was 13 or 14.

But most of his victims were adults, and I believe they ruled out the Mr. Cruel connection earlier today.

He has lived in the same house since 1982. That would seem to rule him out as Mr. Cruel.

I thought he had been living in Australia at some point? Is this correct or not?

If he did live in Australia and his time there was never intended to be permanent, then he would still have his home back in the US that would still technically be 'his residence'.

I thought he had been living in Australia at some point? Is this correct or not?

If he did live in Australia and his time there was never intended to be permanent, then he would still have his home back in the US that would still technically be 'his residence'.

He visited Australia while in the Navy, which was before the Visalia cases. I haven't heard that he ever went back.

EDIT: I'm looking at the Mr Cruel cases now, and I can see why people see similarities, but they appear to be a de-escalation. Why would he go from murdering couples to not murdering anyone?

And while two of his targets as EAR/ONS were teens, they were both old enough to be past puberty. He threatened some young children, but did he ever harm any of them physically?

I don't think the EAR/ONS-Mr Cruel link is very likely, but I'll be curious to see what comes out over the next couple weeks.

He visited Australia while in the Navy, which was before the Visalia cases. I haven't heard that he ever went back.

Perhaps not then...

There are such compelling similarities in both the MO and suspect profiles.

Mr Cruel and DeAngelo are basically criminal soulmates.

One of GSK's victim was 14-years-old. But even that is a stretch, the vast majority were adults.

His youngest victim, we know of, was 13 years old and there were several other young teenage girls. Two were 14 and 15 year old sisters. Beth Snelling was 16.

Apologies if already posted. Article contains a good history of the case.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-golden-state-killer-arrest-20180425-story.html

"We have no indication of any crimes with a similar or at least a close enough link to his m.o. and other things that he's done in the past to link him to anything from '86 on," Jones said. "We just have nothing at this point."

In 1999, Orange County sheriff's homicide detectives were able to use DNA to link the Irvine slaying of Keith and Patrice Harrington to nine other slayings in in Orange, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. The genetic evidence was later used to connect the same suspect to dozens of rapes in Northern California.

bbm

I do think it would be prudent to look at missing persons cases close to DeAngelo's residence since 1986. As someone with a law enforcement background, he would have an early awareness of the role that DNA would come to play in criminal investigations.

Therefore, he would have known that his previous methods had become too high risk. He might have simply changed his MO and switched to abducting women from the street or picking up hitchhikers, before later hiding the bodies.

Here is the mugshot:

attachment.php

hit

He shoplifted so no one could connect him to buying those products IMHO

It is so weird though because I don't think anyone would have thought twice about him buying either of those things. My husband has bought hammers many many times. I think everyone has. Such a common household tool.

And plenty of people have innocent reasons for dog repellent. Joggers, bikers, hikers, dog walkers---nothing nefarious about wanting to repel aggressive dogs when you are out and about.

I am so glad that he stole that stuff, because it could have been even worse if he continued on in the Police department. I bet he would have ended up in Homicide. wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member