GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, who and what circumstances determines which court a case lands in? :dunno:

WHERE the crime happens. This case, regardless of if he's military or civilian will be tried in civilian court if they find out that the crime was committed off Base.

The two cases you listed above that involved a court martial was because the crimes occurred on Base.

Did I miss something? This is such a fast moving thread.

Why is there an assumption the alleged boyfriend is military?

I think the horse ranch she volunteered at could hold some answers. I bet the alleged boyfriend was from the horse ranch. I haven't paid much attention to the maps, is the horse ranch she volunteered at in close distance? Is it possible she parked her car and cowboy picked her up on a horse?

That's what the news articles from z107.7 on the 10th and 11th said: the boyfriend (or lover, as they called him) was another married Marine. Links in one of the other threads (2, I think).

Thanks moonbeams, I come home to catch up and geez louis there's page after page after page. Last I knew, websleuther's for the most part, were taking the z107.7 article with a grain of salt.
Now that I see this other post, it seems we can assume the boyfriend is military ~AN's comment on July 7th at 6:26 pm. Then check out her SO's attire.
https://www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMi...54321787035693

Sounds like the gossip mill on base is running wild and the boyfriend is known/assumed.

I find the term "best friend" interesting. Didn't he just transfer here a few months ago? I suppose it's possible his best friend was also transferred here, but I think it would be highly unlikely. (And how "best" can he be in only a few months???) That makes me wonder if this person is just repeating gossip that changes as it goes from person to person. Other sources, including the radio station, report the affair as fact (who knows if it's really true or not)...I'm questioning the "best friend" part of this comment. Makes me wonder if the source of this story is really the radio stations report, and not someone on the base...since it now has something new added.

Read AN's comment on July 7th at 6:26 pm. Then check out her SO's attire.
https://www.facebook.com/JaneVelezMitchellHLN/posts/10154321787035693

I find the term "best friend" interesting. Didn't he just transfer here a few months ago? I suppose it's possible his best friend was also transferred here, but I think it would be highly unlikely. (And how "best" can he be in only a few months???) That makes me wonder if this person is just repeating gossip that changes as it goes from person to person. Other sources, including the radio station, report the affair as fact (who knows if it's really true or not)...I'm questioning the "best friend" part of this comment. Makes me wonder if the source of this story is really the radio stations report, and not someone on the base...since it now has something new added.

I don't find the term so odd. I'm sure he's hooked up with one or two guys that are closer than others. He's been with his unit a while, they've been deployed and spent a lot of time together. So I would consider someone like that his current best friend (except and until I found out said "best friend" was doin' his wife. I don't guess I'd think he was such a good friend anymore!)

But I don't find anything wrong with the term. (Not saying EC's BF is JC's best friend, just saying by AN using the term doesn't mean he's not JC's (probably former) closest friend on Base.

Good research! And, yeah, it shouldn't take that long to scope out photo/picnic/camping/whatever spots, since her car didn't have 4WD so she would be on paved roads only. I don't like the inconsistency of this...keeps making me think of the telephone game where the story changes as it's told to different people.

Re: the picnic, I was trying to find a reference other than the Examiner one and found this post: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ne-Palms-28-June-2014&p=10717564#post10717564 but I'm still trying to find where it came from originally (Clu, do you remember by chance?).

This article: http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/erin-corwin-search-missing-marine/2014/07/07/id/581135/#ixzz36qJVFtbQ says

He [her husband] said she left their home on the Twentynine Palms Marine base early that morning to scout out photogenic spots in Joshua Tree National Park. She and her mother planned to take pictures together in the park when Heavilin arrived from Tennessee to help celebrate her 20th birthday.

I'm probably too focused on this anyway but it just doesn't make sense to me that she'd be out there scoping out picnic areas, or out there until 4:00PM. Where ELSE did she plan to be that day?

No, I think earlier it was mentioned she was looking for good photo spots. Although as some have mentioned the Examiner is kinda questionable as a source so maybe they just threw in the picnic thing.

After just looking up the weather info for there I can't imagine intentionally going out for a picnic unless it was breakfast! Jump out of the (hopefully air conditioned!) car for a few quick photos seems more realistic.

Even between October and May, the prime time to visit JT and - drat - sheep something hole (ha!), there are many reasons NOT to picnic or go camping in these parts imo.
While reading about a campsite location today, they warned about being on the lookout for rattlesnakes, lizards, ravens, coyotes, squirrels, bees, and my favorite, desert tarantulas - :panic:
Not to mention flash floods and other sudden dangers!

:hot:, :desert:, no :phone: service, wild :lamb: sheep, poison :snake:, :bee: hives, and, :sponge: Bob!

Raise your hands, who wants to go camping?

I don't think 'best friend' is unusual. Aren't military-types generally transferred with their squad/unit to another base? The 'bestie' may be a 'brother' in his unit.

<snipped for space>
:hot:, :desert:, no :phone: service, wild :lamb: sheep, poison :snake:, :bee: hives, and, :sponge: Bob!

Oh noooo thank you! Then again I'm more of a "road tripper" than a "camper," but still it does not sound like ideal camping or picnicking.

Has it ever been said if she's a very "outdoorsy" person? Does she like the heat? Does her Mom? I know... questions we'll probably never get answered, but I'm wondering if anyone saw it anywhere. I think we know she likes animals, is into photography, has a bad sense of direction, is pregnant, and moved recently. And of course, we know she's missing.

I wish we knew where she was supposed to be all afternoon.

Yeah, we typically don't go to the area during the hot months because rattlesnakes are a very real danger. My husband and one of the kids had a face-to-face a couple miles north of the park and thankfully won. I wanted him to cook it but at the time he didn't know how to avoid killing us with the venom. (He does now, so maybe one day??? lol) We've also seen scorpions. But the kit foxes and kangaroo rats are adorable. :) Haven't seen a "Bob" yet so I better be on the lookout! lol

The best time to visit is spring when the flowers are blooming, especially if it's been a wet winter. The spring after the El Nino hit was one of the most beautiful sights ever! Our son was into classifying flowers at the time and I think he found around 15 different kinds. They say we are to have another El Nino this year, so if that comes to pass, mark your calendars for next spring!

Even between October and May, the prime time to visit JT and - drat - sheep something hole (ha!), there are many reasons NOT to picnic or go camping in these parts imo.
While reading about a campsite location today, they warned about being on the lookout for rattlesnakes, lizards, ravens, coyotes, squirrels, bees, and my favorite, desert tarantulas - :panic:
Not to mention flash floods and other sudden dangers!

OK, you and moonbeams disagree so maybe I'm crazy on this one. lol Not sure how the marines work, but my son hasn't had that happen in the Army. The unit trains and gets deployed together, but it's the individual who's transferred.

I don't think 'best friend' is unusual. Aren't military-types generally transferred with their squad/unit to another base? The 'bestie' may be a 'brother' in his unit.

Quick comment on the best friend thing, I feel all old now but I feel like among "kids these days" use that term really readily. I've got one friend who I consider a friend but not particularly close who calls pretty much everyone she's ever met her BFF. Not saying Erin's this way, but IMO it's not uncommon for her age or her husbands, especially for people in the military who may be moving around a lot.

OK, that's three of you now. I give up. lol

Quick comment on the best friend thing, I feel all old now but I feel like among "kids these days" use that term really readily. I've got one friend who I consider a friend but not particularly close who calls pretty much everyone she's ever met her BFF. Not saying Erin's this way, but IMO it's not uncommon for her age or her husbands, especially for people in the military who may be moving around a lot.

Yeah, I was buying a scouting trip that was in preparation of Erin and her mom jumping out of the air conditioned car to take pics for a couple minutes at different spots in the park. But a picnic...not so much. I wonder if both these statements - photos and picnic - can be traced back to her mom from different interviews? There's something not quite right about this.

I thought she was going to take her mother to Sea World where it's nice and cool. The trip to Joshua Tree is a little strange.

Do the marines ever leave the base to conduct special exercises, say, in Joshua Tree?

The location of the car leads me to believe our perp doesn't want to leave his comfort zone. Therefore, if he left the body in JT, it is probably somewhere he'd been before and is comfortable with.

I did notice that they said, "Her mother was soon to visit from Tennessee, where the young couple had grown up and married, and the daughter was searching for places to go and perhaps picnic." I don't think a picnic was ever mentioned previously, was it?

Throughout this investigation I have read articles that have given the reason for her trip to Joshua Tree that morning as: looking for a campsite, planning a family outing, looking for hiking trails, looking for things to do together when her mother arrives, scouting out locations to take pictures with her mom, and now, looking for places for a picnic. The media has been all over the place with this.

Campsite - http://www.kmir.com/story/25916449/public-help-sought-in-case-of-missing-woman

Outing -http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Search-Continues-for-Marines-Missing-Pregnant-Wife-Joshua-Tree-265736401.html

Outing - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/0...ar-old-pregnant-california-woman-erin-corwin/

Hiking Trails - http://www.z1077fm.com/sheriffs-department-searches-for-missing-twentynine-palms-woman/

Things to Do Together - http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_30d113d0-016a-11e4-8d32-001a4bcf887a.html

Place to Take Pictures - http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2014/07/11/erin-corwin-jonathan-corwin/12557135/

Picnic - http://www.examiner.com/article/erin-corwin-missing-2-weeks-disappearance-suspicious-not-voluntary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pechi_eupa