CA - High Court Denies Crips Co-Founder's Death Row Appeal

JBean said:
They found a NEW witness! Where in the world has this witness been? It's about time he showed up.:innocent: <insert sarcastic smiley somewhere around here>:D

Tookie Williams' Supporters Say They Have New Witness; Emergency Request Seeks Stay of Execution

SAN FRANCISCO -- Supporters of former gang leader and convicted killer Stanley Tookie Williams made a last-minute pitch to save his life Sunday, saying they had a new witness, while prosecutors asked the California Supreme Court to allow his execution to go forward as scheduled early Tuesday

Deputy Attorney General Lisa Brault wrote to the court that Williams' request for a stay of execution "is without merit and is manifestly designed for delay."

http://orangecounty.cox.net/cci/newsnational/national?_mode=view&_state=maximized&view=article&id=D8EEF6AG0

I saw this on the news tonight--can we spell LAST DITCH EFFORT? I think Arnold has already made his decision and LE knows what it is so they can mobilize...I'll be amazed if he grants clemency...but then again, I figured the Michael Jackson jury would convict...

PrayersForMaura said:
Justices decline to block Williams execution

Crips co-founder Stanley Tookie Williams lost another bid before the California Supreme Court when the justices unanimously ruled late Sunday not to reopen his case and block his Tuesday execution by lethal injection.

The high court ruled 6-0, and said the last-minute appeal lacked merit and was untimely as well, meaning Williams will be executed unless Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger grants clemency or an anticipated last-ditch federal appeal is successful. California's justice days ago also turned down a similar appeal from Williams, who is scheduled to be the 12th condemned inmate executed since state lawmakers reinstated the death penalty in 1977 after a brief hiatus.

State prosecutors implored the justices early Sunday to dismiss Williams' latest petition to block his Tuesday execution for murdering four people in 1979.

More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/12/11/state/n202649S89.DTL&feed=rss.news
Cripes! That was fast! I guess they were waiting for it too:p They were prepared!

Clock ticks down on Williams execution at San Quentin

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- No one paid much attention to Stanley Tookie Williams when he was on trial in 1981 for murdering four people.

Today, as the clock ticks down on his scheduled execution, the former Los Angeles gang leader is world famous as a Nobel Prize-nominated author, the subject of an award-winning movie and a cause celebre for celebrities and death penalty opponents.

The change in status has made Williams' upcoming execution California's highest-profile death penalty case in decades, producing feverish preparations Sunday throughout the state and at San Quentin State Prison, where the co-founder of the Crips was scheduled to die by lethal injection at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.

In San Francisco, a team of defense lawyers appealed to the California Supreme Court for the second time in two weeks to call off the execution, while Sister Helen Prejean, the inspiration for the film "Dead Man Walking," added her voice to the chorus calling on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to spare Williams' life.

"They are working out of the same moral framework that a gang does," said Prejean, a nun who ministers to death row inmates and was in town to accept an award from the American Civil Liberties Union.

At San Quentin, home to the most populated death row in the nation, a team of guards watched Williams for unusual behavior and recorded his activities every 15 minutes. The death chamber where as many as 50 people are allowed to witness executions was cleaned and stocked with fresh supplies of medical tape, syringes and the chemicals that would paralyze Williams and stop his heart.

The California Highway Patrol readied security measures for outside the prison, where hundreds of people were expected to rally Monday night. Aides to Schwarzenegger, meanwhile, announced that the governor wasn't yet ready to respond to Williams' request for clemency.

At least publicly, the person least occupied with his fate seemed to be Williams himself. He has said he doesn't plan to take the prison up on its offer of a last meal, a minister or spaces on the witness list for his friends or family. While he wants to live, he's prepared to die, Williams said.

"Me fearing what I'm facing, what possible good is it going to do for me? How is that going to benefit me?" Williams said during a recent interview with The Associated Press. "If it's my time to be executed, what's all the ranting and raving going to do?"

More: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/12/12/news/state/121105193212.txt

Wow. Cali has only executed 12 since 1977? I checked the Texas stats and we're at 355 since 1982. It's almost like what's the point of giving the death penalty in CA. Somethings not right with the DP there. :confused:

We did double that number in one year.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/annual.htm

SadieMae said:
Wow. Cali has only executed 12 since 1977? I checked the Texas stats and we're at 355 since 1982. It's almost like what's the point of giving the death penalty in CA. Somethings not right with the DP there. :confused:

We did double that number in one year.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/annual.htm
Oh, there is a greater chance of someone dying due to natural causes on our DR.

But I do not support the DP anyway and it's cheaper to keep them alive too.

But I would not fight for this dude.

So it's less than 24 hours now, possibly...

Wonder what ol' Tookie is doing, since he's NOT worrying, so he says.

I am sending my best wishes to all in California, as I hope pro-Tookie people don't creat havoc on other people or property if the execution goes through. Riots don't help a thing.

http://www.johnandkenshow.com/

http://www.johnandkenshow.com/
LIVE JOHN & KEN BROADCAST FROM SAN QUENTIN PRISON

took1_01.jpg
You’ve got to go sometime and sometime for Tookie is the first minute of December 13th, unless the Governor decides it’s in his best political interest to give the Killer a free ride for murdering four innocent people (see crime scene photos below). John & Ken will be broadcasting live from San Quentin Prison, Monday December 12th at 3pm. Listen as John & Ken debate the crowd of cheese and wine Liberals, save the whales and murderers groups and assorted gang banger types. Remember to listen this Monday from 3pm to 7pm. KFI AM 640 More Stimulating Talk Radio

PrayersForMaura said:
(AP) ...Sister Helen Prejean, the inspiration for the film "Dead Man Walking," added her voice to the chorus calling on Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to spare Williams' life.

"They are working out of the same moral framework that a gang does," said Prejean, a nun who ministers to death row inmates and was in town to accept an award from the American Civil Liberties Union.
What the hay? The laws of the State of California operate on the same moral framework that a gang does? Hello?

With all due respect, has the Sister ever been raped? Ever had her mother murdered?

In my humble opinion, 'nuff said on that score... :sick:

PrayersForMaura said:
(AP) ...At least publicly, the person least occupied with his fate seemed to be Williams himself. He has said he doesn't plan to take the prison up on its offer of a last meal, a minister or spaces on the witness list for his friends or family. While he wants to live, he's prepared to die, Williams said.

"Me fearing what I'm facing, what possible good is it going to do for me? How is that going to benefit me?" Williams said during a recent interview with The Associated Press. "If it's my time to be executed, what's all the ranting and raving going to do?"
I think the guy is being macho... However, that last line of his, I agree with him 100%. Sanest utterance of anyone in this whole situation. LOL.

:p

Gooo, Tookie! ;)

Do Scooter and the other guys on Death Row get to see Tookie walk to the chamber?

No last meal, no witnesses...........12:01 a.m. bye, bye Stanley "Tookie" Williams :clap:

Tom'sGirl said:
No last meal, no witnesses...........12:01 a.m. bye, bye Stanley "Tookie" Williams :clap:

I heard on MSNBC that Rita Cosby was there at SQ and would be a media witness to his death.

I know in other states it is mandated there must be a certain number of witnesses at an execution.

Thanks Linask for the info.

Scandi

scandi said:
I heard on MSNBC that Rita Cosby was there at SQ and would be a media witness to his death.

I know in other states it is mandated there must be a certain number of witnesses at an execution.

Thanks Linask for the info.

Scandi
Well, how strange, according to what's been on out here they said he wanted no last meal, no family or media at his execution. :waitasec:

I am just not unhappy about this. Call me evil but I see the victims as finally having a right to say....I am importent! I had a potential that was taken away and your 24 years on death row was more than I had. I could have had babies and grandbabies. I could have had huge Christmas experiences, I could be seeing my granddaughter graduating from college,I could be holding holding someone that was importent to my life but no. You chose to end all this for me. So, your life has become just as devalued and so I wait for your demise. Not with glee but the fact that you never thought about anyone but yourself.

That might be what he wants. Did anyone see Rita's show at 6pm tonight. I missed it, but it was suppose to have been taped at SQ.

Also, I'd sure like to find that link posted here not too long ago that showed the most henious criminals on death row at SQ. There was a big colored pic of each and info about them - a slideshow.

Tak sa mycker!
[Scandi

emmcee said:
Do Scooter and the other guys on Death Row get to see Tookie walk to the chamber?

Scooter better sit up and take notice. I just hope that some bleeding heart doesn't change things all around in the next 25 years or so and Scott somehow end up actually getting out of jail. If and when it does happen, maybe Scott can go by his chosen handle hottie just as the crips founder still proudly goes by his gang name tookie and dedicates his book to radical militants.

I think whatever happens, the appeals process is going to be shortened. Scottie may not have anywhere near this long.

One thing that is clear - we have a broken court system in some areas - speed, as well as concern for both the victim, and the innocent convicted prisoners (no appeal based on DNA testing that could prove absolute innocence should be refused by idiot prosecutors only interested in their win ratio).

Tom'sGirl said:
Well, how strange, according to what's been on out here they said he wanted no last meal, no family or media at his execution. :waitasec:
He changed his mind and asked for 5 witnesses. I don't think he has a say about the media.

3 Minutes until the execution process begins.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back