CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

Oh no....! Thank you inmyhumbleopinion for this latest update. Well, perhaps we are back to the idea his brother had of the possibility of him going for a swim in the ocean?

The article you linked said
He is seen on surveillance footage wandering through the plaza, most likely looking for a restroom, police say.

I wonder if the public restrooms are located closer to the beach? The article also says that his belongings were not found on the beach and no one has reported seeing him go into the water, but could the tide have pulled his things into the ocean if he left them on the sand too close to the water? I can't understand why a person would leave their phone, wallet and shoes unattended on the sand, though.

Also, I thought I read that he was wearing a sweater, jeans and boots. Would he really go in the ocean when he's dressed like that? I could maybe see if he was in beachwear-type of clothes like shorts and flip flops.

On the positive side, I'm glad we are still seeing updates and that the police are helping the family find Michael.

"At first, it appeared that a grainy image from the same location of a man wearing a similar grey sweater, walking east away from the shoreline with a group of unidentified men, might have been Michael.

But officials now say that person is not him." (BBM)

More info at the link: http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...d-search-veteran-father-mike-vanzandt-n538166

Michael's brother Tyler, who is quoted numerous times in the above article, is doing a great job of keeping family and friends up to date on FB. His post from earlier this afternoon is particularly informative, as it expounds on what the article talks about. I am not going to put a link to his FB page, as per TOS; he is fairly easy to find, I think.

Oh no....! Thank you inmyhumbleopinion for this latest update. Well, perhaps we are back to the idea his brother had of the possibility of him going for a swim in the ocean?

The article you linked said

I wonder if the public restrooms are located closer to the beach? The article also says that his belongings were not found on the beach and no one has reported seeing him go into the water, but could the tide have pulled his things into the ocean if he left them on the sand too close to the water? I can't understand why a person would leave their phone, wallet and shoes unattended on the sand, though.

Also, I thought I read that he was wearing a sweater, jeans and boots. Would he really go in the ocean when he's dressed like that? I could maybe see if he was in beachwear-type of clothes like shorts and flip flops.

On the positive side, I'm glad we are still seeing updates and that the police are helping the family find Michael.

RBBM:

City of Hermosa Beach : Beach F.A.Q.'s

Where are the restrooms located at the beach?

The City of Hermosa Beach has 4 restroom facilities on the beach. They are located at:

2nd Street
The Pier
14th Street
22nd Street
http://www.hermosabch.org/index.aspx?page=263

Perhaps one of our WS Map Wizards can help out with this? Plot these 4 points along with the other points of interest?

skibaboo, where are you????

:thinking:

#FindMichaelDavid
:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't think he went for a swim in the ocean. The average temp right now of the water is 60 degrees. Although it doesn't get a whole lot warmer in summer, I would think he would be aware. I keep thinking about what he is wearing, I would think that his clothes/wallet/phone would be found if he had gone in.

My thought is that he went to the liquor store, decided not to buy anything, saw that his friends had left him, and became depressed. He's going through a divorce, and his buddies left him, lots to be upset about. So he returns to the liquor store, buys some liquor, and goes to sit on the beach and think. Maybe he was drunk and decided to go for a swim, dead cell phone and all. Maybe he became so depressed he walked into the surf. Either way, I think he's in the water.

Great new article with more info. A couple of quotes from it:

HBPD Captain Milton McKinnon said that Mike is last seen headed northwest by The Mermaid parking lot—possibly heading toward Manhattan Beach—at 11:27 p.m. After that, he is never seen again.

It is unknown whether he turned it off or it died, but the last signal on Mike’s phone pinged around 10:30 p.m. Over the course of the next hour, Tyler said it seems Mike was looking for his friends. He appeared on the video crossing the plaza and entering several of the bars, looking around and then exiting. In the meantime, they were trying to reach him—they called and sent texts 22 times that night—but couldn’t reach him.

His friends must feel just terrible now to have decided to change restaurants without waiting for him. We rely too much on cell phones these days, don't we...

http://tbrnews.com/news/police-stil...cle_6891ab02-ebb2-11e5-a02b-d74a14a107c0.html

Great new article with more info. A couple of quotes from it:

His friends must feel just terrible now to have decided to change restaurants without waiting for him. We rely too much on cell phones these days, don't we...

http://tbrnews.com/news/police-stil...cle_6891ab02-ebb2-11e5-a02b-d74a14a107c0.html

Thank you for posting this, slowpoke: Well written, and very informative.

"'It seems like a lot of people are swayed toward the idea that he could have just decided to up and run away for awhile or take an extra vacation without anybody knowing,' said Krishain. 'I absolutely, absolutely am against that idea. He would never, never do something like that. He wasn’t unstable… It wasn’t something like that. It wasn’t anything voluntary. He wouldn’t ever do that to his kids or his family.'"

I agree with Mrs. Vanzant. Who is suggesting that to her, I wonder. Has foul play been looked into at all?

I must say I don't like how his phone died shortly after he parted ways with his friends. Of course it might be a coincidence, but is just a tad too convenient, don't ya think?

Good looking young men need to stay away from restaurants and bars by the water after dark.

But seriously, it's so very strange that so many go missing and end up in a body of water. You never hear about this happening to women.

Good looking young men need to stay away from restaurants and bars by the water after dark.

But seriously, it's so very strange that so many go missing and end up in a body of water. You never hear about this happening to women.

Drunk guys peeing in water. Lose their balance. Girls don't head for rivers/lake/ocean to pee in, ususally. (IMO)

I must say I don't like how his phone died shortly after he parted ways with his friends. Of course it might be a coincidence, but is just a tad too convenient, don't ya think?

It does seem too convenient, but then again, he is still seen on the video feeds after his phone's last ping appearing to look for his friends up until 11:27, where he is "last seen headed northwest by The Mermaid parking lot".

It is unknown whether he turned it off or it died, but the last signal on Mike’s phone pinged around 10:30 p.m. Over the course of the next hour, Tyler said it seems Mike was looking for his friends. He appeared on the video crossing the plaza and entering several of the bars, looking around and then exiting. In the meantime, they were trying to reach him—they called and sent texts 22 times that night—but couldn’t reach him.

It seems soon after that direction he turned onto on the walking path (the Strand) there are homes, so the police are asking homeowners to review any security footage they may have for that time period, according to the article. I hope someone does, that would be so great.

If he was an outgoing sort, why oh why didn't he ask someone if he could borrow their phone to call someone? Then again, I guess we don't memorize many phone numbers these days since we don't have to--our phones do it for us. At the very least, he could have headed back to the hotel they booked for the night.

Does anyone know if there have been any organized searches or if there is a FB page dedicated to the search for Michael? He's from my general area. I also don't think he just needed to get away for awhile. I fear something happened to this father of three.

It does seem too convenient, but then again, he is still seen on the video feeds after his phone's last ping appearing to look for his friends up until 11:27, where he is "last seen headed northwest by The Mermaid parking lot".

It seems soon after that direction he turned onto on the walking path (the Strand) there are homes, so the police are asking homeowners to review any security footage they may have for that time period, according to the article. I hope someone does, that would be so great.

If he was an outgoing sort, why oh why didn't he ask someone if he could borrow their phone to call someone? Then again, I guess we don't memorize many phone numbers these days since we don't have to--our phones do it for us. At the very least, he could have headed back to the hotel they booked for the night.

BBM: Slowpoke, I think these are all good questions. As for not memorizing phone numbers, you would think there would be SOMEONE who's number he would have known. His parents, his ex, someone. One would think he could have called them to get the numbers of his brother and friends. As for the hotel, that is an excellent point!

Drunk guys peeing in water. Lose their balance. Girls don't head for rivers/lake/ocean to pee in, ususally. (IMO)
Who is this actually true for? Just a specific demographic of men?

I've been here on WS long enough to prompt me to poll my IRL guy friends. Not one of them claims to be attracted to urinating in water if a toilet is not available (we live walking distance to the ocean). Most wanted to be behind something, like a car or dumpster. Others indicated a wall was acceptable. A few chose lamp posts or mailboxes. Where are the guys that choose water?

Gross, right? My point is that I just don't agree that there is a magical magnetism that makes guys fall in .

I don't get why anyone would voluntarily go into the cold, dark ocean at night, alone like that. Especially if they were dressed for a night out with friends. It makes no sense.

Who is this actually true for? Just a specific demographic of men?

I've been here on WS long enough to prompt me to poll my IRL guy friends. Not one of them claims to be attracted to urinating in water if a toilet is not available (we live walking distance to the ocean). Most wanted to be behind something, like a car or dumpster. Others indicated a wall was acceptable. A few chose lamp posts or mailboxes. Where are the guys that choose water?

Gross, right? My point is that I just don't agree that there is a magical magnetism that makes guys fall in .

Though a woman, I agree with this. Walking into the ocean to urinate would pretty much assure that you end up with your urine on yourself. Also, if you are standing on the sand and lose your balance you are *maybe* in a few inches of water to a few feet of water. Doubt someone with a strong ability to swim would die if they lost their balance standing in the ocean peeing in the water.

I'd never piss out in the open - ocean, river, lake, etc. As someone already mentioned, I'd want to be behind something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back