GUILTY CA - Officers Gil Vega, 63, & Lesley Zerebny, 29, slain, Palm Springs, 8 Oct 2016

Suspect ready to ‘shoot all the police’ captured after killing 2 officers in Palm Springs

Zerebny had recently returned from maternity leave and was the mother of a 4-month-old. She was married to a Riverside County sheriff’s deputy. A SWAT team from her husband’s department participated in efforts to capture the suspect, and ultimately did so after an exchange of gunfire early Sunday morning, according to a statement from the sheriff’s department.

The department identified the suspect as John Felix, 26, who was treated for non life-threatening injuries. Felix, reported the Palm Springs Desert Sun, was a “known gang member” with a criminal record.

more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fficers-killing-2-injuring-a-third/?tid=ss_tw

Also from the article above.

He will be booked on “two counts of murder on a peace officer,” the sheriff’s office said.

The Palm Springs Desert Sun described the suspect as a “known gang member,” who spent four years in prison for a 2009 attempted murder plot. He was also arrested in 2013, the paper said, after fighting with police at the same home where Saturday’s shooting took place.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fficers-killing-2-injuring-a-third/?tid=ss_tw

Palm Springs cop killer suspect has gang ties, a prior shooting conviction and has fought with police

John Hernandez Felix, 26, was previously arrested as part of a failed murder plot in 2009. Felix and another suspect managed to shoot their target but he didn't die. Felix was charged with attempted murder, discharging a firearm causing great bodily injury and association with a criminal street gang.

Court records don't provide details of the shooting, but they do show that Felix pleaded down to assault with a firearm and admitted his gang connection. He was given a two year prison sentence for the assault and an additional two years for his gang ties. His prison term would have expired in 2013.

Police said the news conference at 11 a.m. Sunday will focus on the arrest.

Three years ago, Felix was arrested by Palm Springs police in an event that began in an eerily similar manner to Saturday's shooting – a policeman on his doorstep.

In that case, a Palm Springs police detective came to the house on Cypress Road looking for Felix's brother. Felix cracked open the front door, and the detective recognized him as a parolee, so he demanded Felix open the door fully so he could be searched. Felix refused.

more

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...ng-conviction-and-has-fought-police/91814902/

There's pictures of him floating around on twitter but nothing offical yet.

He has ties to a gang and has already served time?! Mental issues or not, my sympathy level for him just dropped below zero.

KTLA reports:

“Mother's call

The incident started after officers responded to a 911 call at a house in Palm Springs.

A woman made the call around midday local time and said her adult son had caused a disturbance, Palm Springs Police Chief Bryan Reyes said.

When officers arrived, Felix refused to open the front door and threatened to shoot the officers, police said.

Within 10 minutes of their arrival, as they tried to get him to comply with their orders, Felix opened fire through the closed front door, according to police.”​

http://ktla.com/2016/10/09/man-arre...th-fatal-shooting-of-2-palm-springs-officers/

Associated Press article from this (Sunday) morning:

http://www.pe.com/articles/springs-815416-palm-fatally.html

snippets:

“After a lengthy standoff, authorities said, he surrendered peacefully. Jail records show he was arrested at 12:30 a.m. Sunday – just over 12 hours after the incident began – and booked at 6:48 a.m., after being treated at a hospital for unspecified injuries sustained during the incident.

He was arrested on suspicion of two counts of murder on a peace officer and one of attempted murder on a peace officer.”

“Palm Springs Police Chief Bryan Reyes didn’t identify the shooting suspect by name but indicated police had had previous dealings with him. He declined to elaborate, adding that Riverside County sheriff’s deputies were now in charge of the investigation.”​

Suspect's pic on alternative news site.
His FB is still active.Interesting post on June 1 (his most recent post) ; seems to be an avid injustice collector.

I could care less what his grievances were ; because of his vile actions NINE CHILDREN have lost a parent -- one child is a 4 month old baby girl !

Hope every day of the rest of JHF's life is miserable.
MOO

Palm Springs Officer Lesley Zerebny

attachment.php

Attachments

• CuUnc5HUAAAlIx8.jpg
    CuUnc5HUAAAlIx8.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 108
Personally, I think he needs a little "jail house justice".

Rest in eternal peace, Officers "Gil" and Lesley ! Thank you both for serving your communities and trying to make this world a better place !!!

My utmost condolences to their families and colleagues.

I'm a bit confused now tbh. The first local news reports quoted the neighbor saying that the perp's father told her that he - the perp - was mentally ill. I do apologize if that turns out to be wrong, as I suggested very early on that *some* people with mental illness may be dangerous to others, based on those quotes.

On the other hand, this guy is a felon, a documented gang member, has attempted murder in the past, has access to weapons...shouldn't his mother have mentioned those things to 911? Maybe she did and the info wasn't passed on? He was clearly a threat to law enforcement and citizens alike.

I can't help but think the officers didn't know, otherwise why would an officer with so much experience stand on a stoop for 10 minutes trying to calmly talk Felix into coming out?

LietKynes - hmm im not sure, it shows for me both in the post and in your quote.

I'm a bit confused now tbh. The first local news reports quoted the neighbor saying that the perp's father told her that he - the perp - was mentally ill. I do apologize if that turns out to be wrong, as I suggested very early on that *some* people with mental illness may be dangerous to others, based on those quotes.

On the other hand, this guy is a felon, a documented gang member, has attempted murder in the past, has access to weapons...shouldn't his mother have mentioned those things to 911? Maybe she did and the info wasn't passed on? He was clearly a threat to law enforcement and citizens alike.

I can't help but think the officers didn't know, otherwise why would an officer with so much experience stand on a stoop for 10 minutes trying to calmly talk Felix into coming out?

The only thing I can think of, is that since he had been an Officer for so long, he may have been familiar with him. He may have let his guard down and thought that he could try to help. This makes me so sad. For both Officers.

This is a good Los Angeles Times article but I am pulling just this one piece:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-palm-springs-shooting-20161008-snap-story.html

“Frances Serrano, who lives on Cypress Road, across the street from where the shooting took place, was coming out of her garage around noon Saturday when her neighbor came bursting out of his own garage.

The man sought Serrano’s attention.

“He said, “Help. I need help. My son is in the house, and he’s crazy. He has a gun. He’s ready to shoot all the police,’ ” Serrano recalled the father saying.

The father “was very nervous,” Serrano said. “He was afraid of his son.”

Serrano, 65, said she called authorities, and as soon as she began walking back into her house, she heard gunshots, “starting with a loud — I mean really loud — ‘bang!’ ”

Law enforcement and the suspect appeared to be exchanging gunfire, she said.

“There were police everywhere,” Serrano said. “I looked out the window and saw police with rifles.” Serrano said she remembered her neighbor’s son, who she believed was in his mid-30s, as “a very nice young man — very polite.””

So, it seems to me that by the time the father had told the neighbor Serrano that he needed her help, his wife had aready called the Police and they were already at the house. Serrano also called authorities not realizing at the moment the Police were already there and that is why (and when) the Felix son was threatening to shoot the police.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back