GUILTY CA - Officers Gil Vega, 63, & Lesley Zerebny, 29, slain, Palm Springs, 8 Oct 2016

This is a good Los Angeles Times article but I am pulling just this one piece:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-palm-springs-shooting-20161008-snap-story.html

“Frances Serrano, who lives on Cypress Road, across the street from where the shooting took place, was coming out of her garage around noon Saturday when her neighbor came bursting out of his own garage.

The man sought Serrano’s attention.

“He said, “Help. I need help. My son is in the house, and he’s crazy. He has a gun. He’s ready to shoot all the police,’ ” Serrano recalled the father saying.

The father “was very nervous,” Serrano said. “He was afraid of his son.”

Serrano, 65, said she called authorities, and as soon as she began walking back into her house, she heard gunshots, “starting with a loud — I mean really loud — ‘bang!’ ”

Law enforcement and the suspect appeared to be exchanging gunfire, she said.

“There were police everywhere,” Serrano said. “I looked out the window and saw police with rifles.” Serrano said she remembered her neighbor’s son, who she believed was in his mid-30s, as “a very nice young man — very polite.””

So, it seems to me that by the time the father had told the neighbor Serrano that he needed her help, his wife had already called the Police and they were already at the house. Serrano also called authorities not realizing at the moment the Police were already there and that is why (and when) the Felix son was threatening to shoot the police.

Sorry for the double post, this one has corrected spelling. The website has been acting technically unruly for the last few days and I have no patience for dealing with it today.

They would have known all of that, they would have run his info prior to responding. He has a record of felony violations, has been to prison and has assaulted an officer before.

I'm a bit confused now tbh. The first local news reports quoted the neighbor saying that the perp's father told her that he - the perp - was mentally ill. I do apologize if that turns out to be wrong, as I suggested very early on that *some* people with mental illness may be dangerous to others, based on those quotes.

On the other hand, this guy is a felon, a documented gang member, has attempted murder in the past, has access to weapons...shouldn't his mother have mentioned those things to 911? Maybe she did and the info wasn't passed on? He was clearly a threat to law enforcement and citizens alike.

I can't help but think the officers didn't know, otherwise why would an officer with so much experience stand on a stoop for 10 minutes trying to calmly talk Felix into coming out?

I'm not defending what happened in this specific case, just addressing your comment generally - it's important to acknowledge if they are dangerous it's likely because they didn't get the treatment they needed.

So, what do we do? Do we just give passes to the mentally ill because they didn't get treatment?

They would have known all of that, they would have run his info prior to responding. He has a record of felony violations, has been to prison and has assaulted an officer before.

Right? Yet some would say the cops in the Lamont Scott case had no idea what they were dealing with.

So, what do we do? Do we just give passes to the mentally ill because they didn't get treatment?

Right? Yet some would say the cops in the Lamont Scott case had no idea what they were dealing with.

We fund mental health care, reduce stigma, increase access, educate ourselves, and make sure sick people are able to get the treatment they need. That's what we do.

We fund mental health care, reduce stigma, increase access, educate ourselves, and make sure sick people are able to get the treatment they need. That's what we do.

Lets do it then.

ETA hopefully that will fix everything.

We don't know if he had diagnosed mental illness issues, or not. He may have, he may not have.

I would think that most people who have read the articles or viewed the video reports could agree that from what we know of his behavior, it sounds kind of crazy. Which is not to say he is mentally ill. JMO.

Looking forward to learning more.

We don't know if he had diagnosed mental illness issues, or not. He may have, he may not have.

I would think that most people who have read the articles or viewed the video reports could agree that from what we know of his behavior, it sounds kind of crazy. Which is not to say he is mentally ill. JMO.

Looking forward to learning more.

It sounds kind of all over the place.

Me too.

This guy was a know gang member with a violent criminal past. Being mentally ill is NOT an excuse to commit murder. One must be deemed criminally insane for it to be a defense. His neighbors said he seemed like a nice guy. No one said he was out of touch with reality that I heard. Sure, he may have been using drugs........that's also no excuse. Being mentally ill doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong. There are many mentally ill people who are productive members of society. We should be careful no to lump all mentally ill people into one basket.

I'm thinking this is more likely to be a case of drug induced rage. Gang members and people who are gang members chgd with attempted murder are dangerous, regardless if they spent time in prison for "rehabilitation" (that rarely works, R/T repeat offenders) get zero sympathy. I hope they do give him the death penalty.

An interesting article about the "capture" and the people in the house next door:

Bullet-ridden Palm Springs house, where cop killer suspect was captured, lies in ruins
Brett Kelman , The Desert Sun 12:08 p.m. PDT October 10, 2016

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...-killer-suspect-captured-lies-ruins/91856832/

“The Palm Springs house where two police officers were killed Saturday shows clear evidence of police forcing their way inside to capture the shooter.

Reporters got their first up-close look at the house on Monday morning. Every window has been smashed. The garage door, riddled with at least a dozen bullet holes, lies crumpled in the front yard. In one spot, the exterior wall of the house has been torn open near the roof, possibly so SWAT could access the attic.

John Felix, 26, a known gang member, was arrested early Sunday morning after a 12-hour standoff at his family’s home on Cypress Road. Police searched the house with a remote-control robot and eventually fired tear gas inside, forcing Felix out the back door, where he was pummeled with non-lethal rounds until he surrendered.

It was also revealed this morning the neighboring home is a live-in care facility for the elderly. Five patients were trapped inside during the standoff.”​

I'm a bit confused now tbh. The first local news reports quoted the neighbor saying that the perp's father told her that he - the perp - was mentally ill. I do apologize if that turns out to be wrong, as I suggested very early on that *some* people with mental illness may be dangerous to others, based on those quotes.

On the other hand, this guy is a felon, a documented gang member, has attempted murder in the past, has access to weapons...shouldn't his mother have mentioned those things to 911? Maybe she did and the info wasn't passed on? He was clearly a threat to law enforcement and citizens alike.

I can't help but think the officers didn't know, otherwise why would an officer with so much experience stand on a stoop for 10 minutes trying to calmly talk Felix into coming out?
The articles are stating that he threatened to shoot them right off the bat. I don't know why they would stay by the front door trying to talk to him. jmo

SWAT didn't get there until 5:00. Why so long?

Heartbreaking pictures.

Suspect in killing of 2 Palm Springs police officers expected to be charged Tuesday; death penalty weighed

Felix, 26, was expected to be charged with two counts of first-degree murder with the special circumstances of multiple murder and murder of a police officer in the line of duty. Riverside County Dist. Atty. Michael Hestrin said Sunday that his office would decide whether to pursue the death penalty against Felix.

“I consider the brutal murder of a police officer to be a very heinous crime, so I will leave it at that,” he said.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-palm-springs-shooting-20161011-snap-story.html

Jeff Stahl ‏@TVJeffStahl 26m26 minutes ago
Riv. Co DA says #PalmSprings police shooter arraignment is tomorrow, Thurs 1:30 p.m. at the Larson Justice Center. @KESQ

KESQ News Channel 3 ‏@KESQ 26m26 minutes ago
DA lists charges against man accused of killing #PalmSprings police officers in weekend #shooting http://www.kesq.com/news/crime/da-l...996?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_KESQ …

Ian JamesVerified account ‏@TDSIanJames 23m23 minutes ago
Ian James Retweeted The Desert Sun
District Attorney describes killings as an ambush, says police officers "walked into a trap." #PalmSprings

Ed Joyce ‏@EdJoyce 20m20 minutes ago California, USA
#PalmSprings @RivCoDA Hestrin says man charged in murders of 2 @PalmSpringsPD officers wanted "to kill cops" and ambushed them. @KNXCooper

Richard WintonVerified account ‏@LAcrimes 14m14 minutes ago
. @RivCoDA says three weeks for decision on whether John Felix will face the death penalty for the murder of 2 #palmsprings police officers

Tomorrow (Tuesday 18 October) starting at 10 AM, the Palm Springs memorial for Officers Vega and Zerebny can be viewed live here

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde
Back