UNSOLVED CA - San Francisco, Skeletal Remains, 8-14, in sidewalk planter boxes, Nov'15

ONLY ON ABC7NEWS.COM: Bones found outside San Francisco apartment belong to child, adult - ABC7 San Francisco
"The piece I saw was a section, which looked like a jawbone, and the teeth definitely seemed similar to the molars," said apartment resident Natasha Koscak.

In late November, Koscak saw the mandible, the partial jawbone when police were called by the neighbor who found them.

That bone fragment and part of a tailbone were among other remains discovered in the planter boxes next to the apartment building's front door.

Police quickly sealed off the planter boxes and the dirt in front of the building.
They called anthropologists from Chico State University to help. They set up a makeshift lab, sifting through the dirt looking for other bones.''
VIDEO: Retired SF homicide inspector hopes child's bones solve cold case

Retired SF homicide inspector hopes child bones solves cold case
After a child's bones were found in a San Francisco planter box, retired homicide inspector Joe Toomey hopes it will help solve a cold case he's worked for years.

Some preliminary results are in. And they're disturbing.
The bones most likely belong to two individuals. First, the jawbone.
Discenza, who's the lead homicide investigator on the case, is trying to determine how the body was cut up.
"Whether it was a surgical saw or maybe a home improvement saw, we don't know yet," he said.
Discenza says they've been unable to make a match using dental records.
So now they're hoping they'll get a hit from the DNA.
"They'll be uploaded to the database and then they'll try to match it," Discenza said. "See if there are any missing persons, homicides, or anything like that to see if there's a match."

But if the bones are from someone whose DNA is not in the database, the remains may forever be a mystery.''

Last edited:
Cannot seem to find an update for the uid remains, but a good video is at link.

2016 rbbm.
"The piece I saw was a section, which looked like a jawbone, and the teeth definitely seemed similar to the molars," said apartment resident Natasha Koscak.

In late November, Koscak saw the mandible, the partial jawbone when police were called by the neighbor who found them.

That bone fragment and part of a tailbone were among other remains discovered in the planter boxes next to the apartment building's front door.''

''Discenza, who's the lead homicide investigator on the case, is trying to determine how the body was cut up.

"Whether it was a surgical saw or maybe a home improvement saw, we don't know yet," he said.

Discenza says they've been unable to make a match using dental records.

So now they're hoping they'll get a hit from the DNA.

"They'll be uploaded to the database and then they'll try to match it," Discenza said. "See if there are any missing persons, homicides, or anything like that to see if there's a match."

But if the bones are from someone whose DNA is not in the database, the remains may forever be a mystery.''

Cannot seem to find an update for the uid remains, but a good video is at link.

2016 rbbm.

That bone fragment and part of a tailbone were among other remains discovered in the planter boxes next to the apartment building's front door.''

''But if the bones are from someone whose DNA is not in the database, the remains may forever be a mystery.''
<snipped for focus>

@othram Time for you to do what you do best?

If memory serves me, in the earlier days of the internet it was a pretty widely known secret that human bones could be bought online, stolen from funeral homes and med schools. For the two fragments to be from two different people makes me wonder if that might not have been the case. Putting them in planters on your front porch might further be part of some witchcraft to protect yourself from hoodoo.

If memory serves me, in the earlier days of the internet it was a pretty widely known secret that human bones could be bought online, stolen from funeral homes and med schools. For the two fragments to be from two different people makes me wonder if that might not have been the case. Putting them in planters on your front porch might further be part of some witchcraft to protect yourself from hoodoo.

Hhhhmm, @evilwise , methinks you & I traveled in different circles after all....

Hhhhmm, @evilwise , methinks you & I traveled in different circles after all....
I mean, I definitely held a real skull in my hands before that was owned by someone I can safely say did not hold any sort of medical license. It never once occurred to me that he might have killed the person it belonged to. He just said that he bought it for I think $400. I thought it was neat but it seemed awfully expensive to me at the time. I bet little sawed up bits would have been way cheaper though.

Well i had to take a quick peek around and ...

July 29, 2013​

''A pot filled with skull and teeth fragments found at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in April have been identified by University of Florida anthropologists as human skulls used for religious rites, the Sun Sentinel reports.

The skulls were used for a Congolese religion known as Palo Mayombe. The religion, brought to Cuba, worships a spirit with objects like shells, sticks or human bones, Michelle Gonzalez Maldonado, an associate professor of religious studies at the University of Miami, told the newspaper.''

Well i had to take a quick peek around and ...

July 29, 2013​

''A pot filled with skull and teeth fragments found at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in April have been identified by University of Florida anthropologists as human skulls used for religious rites, the Sun Sentinel reports.

The skulls were used for a Congolese religion known as Palo Mayombe. The religion, brought to Cuba, worships a spirit with objects like shells, sticks or human bones, Michelle Gonzalez Maldonado, an associate professor of religious studies at the University of Miami, told the newspaper.''
Yep. That's what I thought. This "heart of Africa" stuff is hard to find reporting on anymore and even those older stories seem like they're being low key swept away but I remember. I wonder what kind of pot it was, a flower pot? If so it could have been directly comparable.

Yep. That's what I thought. This "heart of Africa" stuff is hard to find reporting on anymore and even those older stories seem like they're being low key swept away but I remember. I wonder what kind of pot it was, a flower pot? If so it could have been directly comparable.
Not a planter or flower pot.
Metal cauldrons or large terra cotta vessels are typically used as the nganga pots.
Usually found containing other devotional items: coins, nails, sticks, shells, knives, chains.

The Not a planter or flower pot.
Metal cauldrons or large terra cotta vessels are typically used as the nganga pots.
Usually found containing other devotional items: coins, nails, sticks, shells, knives, chains.
In this case when I look at the news story thumbnail up there that @dotr posted, what they call a "planter" could also accurately be called a large terra cotta vessel.

Let's keep to this particular case! There is video in the very first post on this thread which shows the planters at the two locations in questions - you need to watch the whole piece as the second location isn't shown until quite late in the article. There is no "vessel" nor are they terracotta. One appears to be a large set of wooden planter boxes (which fits with the facts that the bones were found when a tenant tried to dispose of the planters - but save the plants - because the boxes had termites). The second planter seems to be a concrete planter box attached to a building.

For ease of reference, I've reposted the link.

Gruesome discovery: Child bones found in planter box in San Francisco

In this case when I look at the news story thumbnail up there that @dotr posted, what they call a "planter" could also accurately be called a large terra cotta vessel.
Terra cotta doesn't get destroyed by termites. The articles say the remains were discovered when the tenant tried to salvage the plants from the planters, which were infested with termites.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back