CA - Transgender Teen, Who Revealed Honest Tales of Bullying, Takes Own Life

I feel such unconditional love for all children, regardless of how they identify themselves. Whether it's a choice, biology, psychology, or whatever, I don't care. Frankly, I don't care how they look or dress. I care whether they are kind, have compassion, and contribute to society. Maybe their whole contribution to society is to teach us to love, unconditionally.

I feel such unconditional love for all children, regardless of how they identify themselves. Whether it's a choice, biology, psychology, or whatever, I don't care. Frankly, I don't care how they look or dress. I care whether they are kind, have compassion, and contribute to society. Maybe their whole contribution to society is to teach us to love, unconditionally.

Beautifully stated. And she WAS beautiful....

I'm not sure if you have a firm grasp of transgender issues based on this comment. You don't have to be diagnosed with gender dysmorphia to identify as transgender.

Undiagnosed or Untreated Gender Dysphoria
Diagnosis and treatment are important. People with gender dysphoria have higher rates of mental health conditions. Some estimates say that 71% of people with gender dysphoria will have some other mental health diagnosis in their lifetime. That includes mood disorders, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, depression, substance abuse, eating disorders, and suicide attempts.
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria?page=2#2

This thread is about a Transgender teen who was bullied. Not anyone else.

Thanks for your beautiful comment rosesfromangels. You've expressed what I, and I'm sure many others, wanted to say.

read em all. find one that details any bullying. criticism over clothing choice isnt bullying. or is it these days?

There could have been a camera taping the entire thing, and it still wouldn't be proof enough for you. I sure hope if you're a parent, you never have to walk in those shoes.

I don't really care what one person's bias or opinion is, if I walk up to someone as I am right now - clearly female, show them my vagina, and tell them "please refer to me as a man", they should do exactly that.

Respect peoples' identities and how they identify themselves. Just because YOU see a boy doesn't mean that person IS a boy, especially if they tell you they are a girl. Just because it confuses YOU and makes YOU uncomfortable doesn't mean you get to define others. (this is a general "you", not directed at any one individual here)

What if you woke up tomorrow with your brain that identifies you as one gender, but your body was that of the opposite gender? Now imagine living your entire life like that. And then being bullied and questioned for trying to live your life as the gender your brain tells you you are.

We need to get rid of gender bias and gender stereotyping.

Honestly, even IF it were "the cool thing to do" to be transgendered and that's the only reason some people were doing it... if it paves the way for true transgendered people to be more accepted, then where's the harm? I'd rather be "duped" by some fakers than risk causing emotional damage to someone by doubting them. That's JMHO.

But I really doubt there are a ton of people willing to endure the humiliation and bullying associated with transitioning.

Tangelo, this is a victim friendly website. Do you think this article should not belong here?

Honestly, even IF it were "the cool thing to do" to be transgendered and that's the only reason some people were doing it... if it paves the way for true transgendered people to be more accepted, then where's the harm? I'd rather be "duped" by some fakers than risk causing emotional damage to someone by doubting them. That's JMHO.

But I really doubt there are a ton of people willing to endure the humiliation and bullying associated with transitioning.

Just don't take the Bruce Jenner approach where you deem it necessary for people and the media to walk through the motions with you. They should just do it and live their lives. It would be less jerks voicing their opposition. Jmo. Even though we have came a long way; People need to realize that the public doesn't need to be informed on their every move. Jmo

I have no idea what Mr. Jenner's motivations are. Perhaps he wants to be a courageous trailblazer, although Dr. Renee Richards carried some of this mantle many years ago. Perhaps Mr. Jenner is motivated largely by sensationalism and the associated revenue that comes from that. I have no way of knowing.

As far as this child is concerned, we have to remember that kids post their every thought and activity on social media. (Which as we know is unbelievably dangerous). This child was no exception. I don't think they were necessarily sensationalizing, I think they were just doing what kids do with social media. Sharing every detail of their lives.

I really don't expect everyone to understand or have sympathy for this child. I live in an area of the country where children like this flock to, to belong. San Francisco has long been a haven for the disenfranchised. The homeless rate for gay, transgender, transsexual, kids is so high. The abuse and trauma they endure on the streets is heartbreaking.

I guess because I'm used to seeing people who live different lifestyles than I do frequently, I don't consider it "different" but perhaps "authentic" for them. Whether it's "right" or "wrong" is between them and their God. My God tells me to love them with a mother's heart. Speaking of hearts, I try not to be influenced by what's on the outside (although sometimes it can be hard), because I might miss what's on the inside. That would be a shame.

I have no idea what Mr. Jenner's motivations are. Perhaps he wants to be a courageous trailblazer, although Dr. Renee Richards carried some of this mantle many years ago. Perhaps Mr. Jenner is motivated largely by sensationalism and the associated revenue that comes from that. I have no way of knowing.

As far as this child is concerned, we have to remember that kids post their every thought and activity on social media. (Which as we know is unbelievably dangerous). This child was no exception. I don't think they were necessarily sensationalizing, I think they were just doing what kids do with social media. Sharing every detail of their lives.

I really don't expect everyone to understand or have sympathy for this child. I live in an area of the country where children like this flock to, to belong. San Francisco has long been a haven for the disenfranchised. The homeless rate for gay, transgender, transsexual, kids is so high. The abuse and trauma they endure on the streets is heartbreaking.

I guess because I'm used to seeing people who live different lifestyles than I do frequently, I don't consider it "different" but perhaps "authentic" for them. Whether it's "right" or "wrong" is between them and their God. My God tells me to love them with a mother's heart. Speaking of hearts, I try not to be influenced by what's on the outside (although sometimes it can be hard), because I might miss what's on the inside. That would be a shame.

Agree. I just think she would still be alive if the media didn't pick this up which helped bring in a onslaught of negativity. If she was living in the Tenderloins; Then I doubt people would think too much of it. But the media always finds a way to take a heartfelt expressed thought and publicize it to a degree where a person has no chance but to respond.

The kid seemed brave at first. But he/ she was too young to deal with the mass media effects of this. Jmo

Agree. I just think she would still be alive if the media didn't pick this up which helped bring in a onslaught of negativity. If she was living in the Tenderloins; Then I doubt people would think too much of it. But the media always finds a way to take a heartfelt expressed thought and publicize it to a degree where a person has no chance but to respond.

The kid seemed brave at first. But he/ she was too young to deal with the mass media effects of this. Jmo

Bingo. Perhaps this thread is really more about the hazards of social media vs. someone's gender presentment. Either way, my heart is heavy over a senseless loss. Children of this age are so binary, impulsive, and don't fully grok mortality, or lack thereof. I'm trying to figure out what I've learned from this thread, but I'm not sure yet.

read em all. find one that details any bullying. criticism over clothing choice isnt bullying. or is it these days?

BBM. Yeah it can be! When I was in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade, I was bullied, and some of it was because of what I wore. I had no choice because my mother picked out what I was going to wear and bought/sewed all my clothes.

All I have learned is that people jump on the judge wagon, not referring to anyone here, And innocent people pay the price for that. It breaks my heart.......

BBM. Yeah it can be! When I was in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade, I was bullied, and some of it was because of what I wore. I had no choice because my mother picked out what I was going to wear and bought/sewed all my clothes.

Yep, try wearing moccasins to school, because they were cheaper. And I still wear them today, but not because I have to. Hugs Linask. :grouphug:

Bingo. Perhaps this thread is really more about the hazards of social media vs. someone's gender presentment. Either way, my heart is heavy over a senseless loss. Children of this age are so binary, impulsive, and don't fully grok mortality, or lack thereof. I'm trying to figure out what I've learned from this thread, but I'm not sure yet.

Agree. It takes alot to be different. But that age is too young for the media to glamourize someone as a public advocate. He didn't have the luxury of not being focused on once the media got involved. Imo; His parents should sue the media outlets for making him a advocate of being transgendered at such a early age. Just because Bruce Jenner and others can deal with the situation publically doesn't mean that a youth expressing their feelings on the internet should be exposed as the Second Coming by the mass media that garners millions of viewers a day. Jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keziah16
Back