California WildFires 2017

There are a lot of missing people right now, because communications are cut off. Here are a few key points from the article.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/w...-overnight-across-northern-california-n809206
More Than 100 Missing Persons Reports Made in California Wildfires

Powerful wildfires fanned by strong winds ravaged parts of Northern California's wine country on Monday, killing at least 11 people and destroying some 1,500 structures.

The 15 wildfires — which also engulfed a hotel and a trailer park in the city of Santa Rosa and sent smoke spewing as far south as San Francisco — have collectively become amongst the most deadliest in California's history.

Pacific Gas & Electric said more than 94,000 customers were without power as of Tuesday morning, most of them in the North Bay Division and Sonoma area. Gas service was shut off to 30,000 customers, it said. The California Highway Patrol said it had rescued 44 people by helicopter.

All of the new fires started after 10 p.m. PT (1 a.m. ET) on Sunday, Pimlott said, bringing the total spread of more than 25 fires across the northern half of California to about 73,000 acres at what he called the worst possible time.
McClean said investigators were still trying to determine the origin of the blazes and called it a "meticulous process."

Californians are pushing their way through a phenomenon called the Santa Ana winds — powerful systems that start inland and almost always blast hot, extremely dry air across Northern California and the southern California coast.

The hot, dry blasts are sometimes called los diablos, or "the devil winds," and they often create critical fire conditions.

The fact that people had to flee for their lives in the middle of the night through smoke and ash terrifies me, living in wildfire country. Yes, we have our emergency bags ready, important papers in a portable fire resistant box...all that stuff. But facing fire is especially traumatic, even if your home is spared. My heart goes out to all. :heartbeat:

My niece shared some video in the middle of the night showing them using garden hoses to keep the fire from taking their home in Healdsburg. I am not embellishing when I say the flames were within 15'-20' of them, with the wind whipping around and sweeping flames their feet and throwing sparks at them. The water coming out of the hoses looked like a trickle in relation to the size of the fire around them. :scared:

ETA: Edited to add that I just found out they saved the home thanks to CalFire. :heartbeat:

My sister lives in Santa Rosa. I haven’t heard from her since yesterday. She reached my brother to say her cell phone wasn’t working, but we’re not sure where she is. I’m worried, but not frantic yet. She’s on the city council, so I know she’s really busy and probably out there trying to help.

A1650A40-71FB-413E-AC17-59A22CFCA1EE.jpg

My niece shared some video in the middle of the night showing them using garden hoses to keep the fire from taking their home in Healdsburg. I am not embellishing when I say the flames were within 15'-20' of them, with the wind whipping around and sweeping flames their feet and throwing sparks at them. The water coming out of the hoses looked like a trickle in relation to the size of the fire around them. :scared:

ETA: Edited to add that I just found out they saved the home thanks to CalFire. :heartbeat:

I’m so glad their home was saved! And especially that they are safe!

My sister lives in Santa Rosa. I haven’t heard from her since yesterday. She reached my brother to say her cell phone wasn’t working, but we’re not sure where she is. I’m worried, but not frantic yet. She’s on the city council, so I know she’s really busy and probably out there trying to help.

attachment.php

I’m sure you can’t help but worry, even though she called. Do keep us posted.

I'm in Sacramento. KCRA has this map of wildfires in Northern CA:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    173.1 KB · Views: 192
I hope all of those missing are found safe. How devastating.

My sister is safe. They had ash and embers on the roof and watered it down. All is good for her for now. Wishing I could say that for the rest of the city.

My sister is safe. They had ash and embers on the roof and watered it down. All is good for her for now. Wishing I could say that for the rest of the city.

I’m glad to hear all is well with your sister. It’s really tough to think about the devastation.

We are just over the CA border in the Rogue Valley near Medford Oregon and about noon today we started seeing smoke coming in from the south. Now we can barely see the mountains around us and the air smells like smoke. Although we still have the Chetco fire to the west near Brookings on the coast, we haven’t had smoke from that fire since mid September. I won’t be surprised if we find out that we are getting smoke from the fires near Santa Rosa, over 200 miles away, since wind is coming out of the south.

My sister is just now being evacuated, the fire is coming down the hill towards their house. They are headed to Oakland right now.

I'm in Santa Rosa and was evacuated early Sunday morning but was able to return. It's as apocalyptic as the news is portraying it, totally surreal. I know half a dozen people who's homes have been annihilated and the fire is still at 0% contained. It's a horror show and the winds are supposed to pick up again tonight. Pray for Santa Rosa.

My sister is just now being evacuated, the fire is coming down the hill towards their house. They are headed to Oakland right now.

Oh no! You both must be so scared. Please keep us posted.

I'm in Santa Rosa and was evacuated early Sunday morning but was able to return. It's as apocalyptic as the news is portraying it, totally surreal. I know half a dozen people who's homes have been annihilated and the fire is still at 0% contained. It's a horror show and the winds are supposed to pick up again tonight. Pray for Santa Rosa.

I’m so sorry. No words. Just hugs and prayers for all. :heartbeat:

Thinking of you all up there, and sending love. Please, take good care!

Best,

coastal

I'm in Sac area so surrounded on all sides by fire. Thought it was going to rain today but then I saw the blood red sun and realized it was the smoke. Can't even imagine what it must be like for those in the real danger zones. Keeping everyone in my thoughts.

I'm in Napa and it's really awful. I and my house/neighborhood are ok, but one of my sons & his family has been evacuated. They've been switching between staying with me and DIL's parents across town. We are somewhat confident (trying, anyway) that their house will be all right since it is a mile or so from the threatening ridge of hills. Another son & his family in Fairfield are very close (+/- 1/4 mile) from the present evacuation zone... very hopeful there too. My previous neighborhood of 25 years, a mile or so from here, was hit pretty hard... and that's shocking. The fires are not contained at all and new fires are popping up all the time all over the place. I'm glued to the scanner!

Friend of mine posted earlier today that there was no immediate danger (Napa area), then suddenly a couple of hours ago wind shifted and he had to evacuate quickly.....safe in Davis now with his dog and cats, but he took pictures of his way out...unnerving and terrifying...fire everywhere. Said that even LE weren't sure which roads were still open. People can get trapped.
Said also that they are presently trying to prevent the fires from reaching the city of Napa now. This is horrifying.

Thank you both for checking in. It’s just unbelievable what fire can do. Wrapping you and family and friends in hugs and prayers for safety and peace of mind. :heartbeat:

Thank you both for checking in. It’s just unbelievable what fire can do. Wrapping you and family and friends in hugs and prayers for safety and peace of mind. :heartbeat:

I'm fine in Southern California, but I'm more concerned about verbonica in Napa and her family, and all those in the area. My friend will likely lose his house, but he is safe at least. So overwhelming and sad. My thoughts are with all in the affected areas, and all the brave and committed firefighters.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back