California WildFires 2017

I'm in Sac area so surrounded on all sides by fire. Thought it was going to rain today but then I saw the blood red sun and realized it was the smoke. Can't even imagine what it must be like for those in the real danger zones. Keeping everyone in my thoughts.

The smoke is real bad in Sac this morning. I'm smelling smoke through my works ventilation system.

Killer Chaser marked him self safe yesterday. Prayers for all of you affected. this is horrible.

I'm reading that the fire is moving at 1-football-field length every 3 seconds. Can you imagine that? Do we even have enough fire firefighters to handle all of these (35?) fires happening all at the same time? Nor Cal is on fire!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/california-wildfire-by-the-numbers/index.html

Here's a screen grab of the fire map, to help you wrap your mind around the devastation and loss. People and animals are dying, people are missing, people are losing everything.
attachment.php

Attachments

• calif on fire.PNG
    calif on fire.PNG
    208.8 KB · Views: 126
Air quality is unhealthy to hazardous in the valley

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    572.8 KB · Views: 128
Thank you for this site. That list can't be complete, but it's a great start and I'll keep watching it for updates. My niece's vineyard is gone in Healdsburg (but she is safe and they were able to save their living quarters), and so are a few of their friends' which also are not yet on the list. Possibly because no one has heard from them in a few days and they are on the missing persons list.

I predict the cost of wine will go up, and Amador/Calaveras wines will suddenly become interesting. jmo

Sonoma county economy is hugely based on wine, so that is very terrible news for the long run. I hope they can get control of it soon, but it doesn't sound like they are having much luck.

My sister lives in Santa Rosa. I haven’t heard from her since yesterday. She reached my brother to say her cell phone wasn’t working, but we’re not sure where she is. I’m worried, but not frantic yet. She’s on the city council, so I know she’s really busy and probably out there trying to help.

attachment.php
That makes me want to throw up. So many lives have just been turned upside down. It's so sad, and I can't believe WS hasn't exploded with comments and interest over this devastating and dangerous situation.

I have a friend who lives in Napa that just yesterday told me the media was sensationalizing and exaggerating the situation. I honestly don't think she had left her home to know the truth of what is happening. I am glad she is lucky that the firestorms have avoided her area so far, but I'm a little mad that she was being so cold and unfeeling about the losses of property and lives - human and animal. I hope she continues to be fortunate, and shows some sympathy and compassion for her community.

"Sonoma county economy is hugely based on wine, so that is very terrible news for the long run. I hope they can get control of it soon, but it doesn't sound like they are having much luck."

I think you misspelled cannabis. :)

"Sonoma county economy is hugely based on wine, so that is very terrible news for the long run. I hope they can get control of it soon, but it doesn't sound like they are having much luck."

I think you misspelled cannabis. :)
BBM

:silly: :floorlaugh:

I get trying to make the joke, but at the same time, it's a multi billion dollar economy going up in flames.

California produces about 85% of U.S. wine, and Napa and Sonoma counties produce much of the country’s premium wines. California’s wine sales were valued at $34.1 billion in 2016.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wildfires-devastate-californias-famed-wine-country-2017-10-09

Although the article DOES also mention marijuana. I went to school in the area and didn't realize it was that extensive, but also not my scene so.

That makes me want to throw up. So many lives have just been turned upside down. It's so sad, and I can't believe WS hasn't exploded with comments and interest over this devastating and dangerous situation.

I have a friend who lives in Napa that just yesterday told me the media was sensationalizing and exaggerating the situation. I honestly don't think she had left her home to know the truth of what is happening. I am glad she is lucky that the firestorms have avoided her area so far, but I'm a little mad that she was being so cold and unfeeling about the losses of property and lives - human and animal. I hope she continues to be fortunate, and shows some sympathy and compassion for her community.

I’m sorry about your friend GigTu. Ugh. How can anyone look at Coffey Park and say it’s being sensationalized?!!

I’ve been waiting for the WS explosion too. Mostly crickets. Maybe people are numb after earthquakes, hurricanes and the Las Vegas massacre. But c’mon friends...this is MAJOR devastation for thousands with a death toll that is bound to rise. We should be at waaay more than 55 posts by now. Those of us who know the area are sick with disbelief even if we don’t have friends directly affected. :(

I’ve been waiting for the WS explosion too. Mostly crickets. Maybe people are numb after earthquakes, hurricanes and the Las Vegas massacre. But c’mon friends...this is MAJOR devastation for thousands with a death toll that is bound to rise. We should be at waaay more than 55 posts by now. Those of us who know the area are sick with disbelief even if we don’t have friends directly affected. :(

I do think many people are probably punch-drunk at the number of hits the US has taken recently. It's kinda understandable.

I get trying to make the joke, but at the same time, it's a multi billion dollar economy going up in flames.

It's also the loss of people's life's work. That's not the same as loss of life, obviously, but a number of the vineyards lost are historic in US terms (planted in the 19th century) and others were planted in the 1980s which is half a lifetime ago for a typical person. Someone old enough to plant a vineyard in 1980 is going to be well over 60, probably 70 or older, today, and with it taking at least 5 years from replanting to harvesting the first crop many may think it not worth replanting. Others may buy them out and replant with a view to the future, but it's a major hit to the state in the meantime.

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wildfires-devastate-californias-famed-wine-country-2017-10-09

Although the article DOES also mention marijuana. I went to school in the area and didn't realize it was that extensive, but also not my scene so.

I’m really sorry the humor hit you wrong. It struck me funny for a reason. We’re certainly not jokingly minimizing the devastation to the economy or culture of the wine country. It’s beyond tragic. But the humor of the post was in how quickly the legal marijuana industry has grown in these areas. It’s not “my scene” either, but as a former resident of Humboldt County (driven out over 30 years ago by illegal and violent marijuana growers) I like to stay aware of what is happening.

From your link...

“The fires are also affecting the harvest of another popular agricultural product — marijuana. The fires in Sonoma and neighboring Mendocino counties threaten tens of millions of dollars worth of product from local cannabis growers — both legal and illegal — right in the peak of harvest season. There are an estimated 3,000 legal marijuana growers in Sonoma County alone.”
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wildfires-devastate-californias-famed-wine-country-2017-10-09

OT—Just because marijuana is now legal to possess and to grow with a permit, no one should assume that the criminal element and violence are over. That part is not funny in the least. JMO

BBM: This. I'm really surprised at how little national coverage this is getting. If you turn on most of the "news channels" it's Trump and Weinstein. What about those suffering in CA?

I do think many people are probably punch-drunk at the number of hits the US has taken recently. It's kinda understandable.

It would just break my heart if people just stopped caring about disasters because there are too many of them. The people affected by this need all of our prayers and support.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back