GUILTY Canada - Alicia Ross, 25, Markham ON, 17 Aug 2005

PrayersForMaura said:
'Geographic profiler' focuses on neighbourhood in Richmond Hill

Those in the Bayview Ave. and Elgin Mills Rd. E. area, as well as owners of rural properties north of this area, are being asked to search fencelines around their property for clues to the whereabouts of Ross, 25, who vanished from her Markham home Aug. 16.

When asked yesterday why the search had shifted from the Markham area northwest to a specific area of neighbouring Richmond Hill, police would not comment.

Anybody who may be involved in the abduction of Ross is being urged to turn themselves in.

"(Our message) is a simple message," said Insp. Tom Carrique. "If you are involved in the abduction of Alicia Ross, we encourage you, come forward. Put an end to this for the family."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1125179410505&call_pageid=968332188492

Is her boyfriend from the Richmond Hill area?

Investigators had a simple message Saturday for anyone who may have been involved in the suspected abduction of an Ontario woman missing for more than a week: turn yourself in.

Alicia Ross, 25, was last seen just past midnight last Aug. 17 by her boyfriend, Sean Hine, 29, in the back yard of her home in this suburb north of Toronto.

At a news conference Saturday, Insp. Tom Carrique of York Region police warned that anyone who was responsible for Ross's disappearance may have committed a criminal offence.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Law/2005/08/25/1187871-cp.html

The brother of a missing Toronto-area woman has made an emotional public appeal.

Andrew Fortis says the family knows Alicia Ross is okay and will come home.
http://www.canada.com/national/nati....html?id=bf1ef336-4a5c-4de2-be72-fd3066b2b57a

Police ask for properties to be checked
Homeowners fear she's no longer alive

[font=Times, Times New Roman, Serif, MS Serif]Mina Yahyavi searched her backyard, hoping she wouldn't find anything linked to the disappearance of Alicia Ross.

"It's scary, so scary," the mother of three said yesterday, a day after York Region police asked residents of her Richmond Hill neighbourhood to scour their properties for clues to Ross's abduction.

"My daughter is 25, the same age as that girl. It's so sad."

Yahyavi said she fears that as police have ended their searches of construction sites, fields and wooded ravines in Markham and Richmond Hill, they're no longer expecting to find Alicia alive, but are waiting for her body to be discovered.

Neighbour Mark Hill agreed.

"The way the police talk about it on the news, that's what it sounds like," he said, having lunch on the front porch of his home near Bayview Ave. and Elgin Mills Rd. E.

"It's a scary thing," said Hill, 47. "My kids are 15 and 10, so if a 25-year-old can disappear, I guess anybody can disappear."

Police have ended formal searches for Ross, who vanished from her Markham home Aug. 16. They say, however, that searches will resume if they have a tip leading them to a specific area.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1125268507217&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037&t=TS_Home&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

stinky@youstink.com
stinkypete

[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Awaiting Autopsy[/font]
titleGradient.gif

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An autopsy will be conducted Monday on the remains of a decomposed body found over the weekend in the Guelph area.

Police said they don’t believe the body, reportedly an adult woman, is that of missing Markham woman Alicia Ross, the 25-year-old who disappeared August 17th.

Det. Insp. David Truax wouldn’t release details on the gruesome find, only saying that he and his colleagues had contacted York Regional Police, who are in charge of the Ross case, to let them know the body wasn’t thought to be the missing woman’s.

Officers said the remains, found by a pedestrian in a wooded picnic area northeast of Guelph, were too decomposed to determine whether the body had sustained any trauma. A coroner’s office in Hamilton was due to perform an autopsy, and hoped to have a possible cause of death determined by Monday afternoon.

Meanwhile, it’s been nearly two weeks since Ross disappeared, and York police now think the young woman was abducted by someone she knows.

They don’t have many clues about what may have happened to her, and they’re still without a suspect. She was last seen on August 17th by her boyfriend, Sean Hine, in the backyard of her Markham home.

Meanwhile, her brother Andrew Fortis said over the weekend he and the rest of the family still pray she’s safe and will eventually come home.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20050829-003/page.asp

[/font]

Do the right thing, says top cop

ANYONE WHO helped Alicia Ross' abductor -- either during or after her Aug. 17 disappearance -- should "search their conscience" and reveal where she is, York Regional Police Chief Armand La Barge said last night.

"I am appealing to whatever humanity is in these people ... come forward, do the right thing, tell us where Alicia is," La Barge told the Toronto Sun last night during a brief early evening visit to the Markham home of Alicia's parents.

La Barge refused to identify who his message was aimed at and reiterated that York homicide detectives are "keeping an open mind" in the case.

It is "extremely possible" that whoever is responsible for Ross' sudden disappearance has "confided in someone else, or they have a role in the offence, after the fact," he said. "I say to these people, you have a responsibility to the community, you have a role to play in coming forward -- don't just sit there doing nothing ... This family is in a lot of pain," he said.

"It is every parent and every family's nightmare," he said.

York Regional Police have stressed in media advisories that residents should take time to check their properties.

This weekend, they singled out the intersection of Elgin Mills Rd. and Bayview Dr. But the Toronto Sun found people working and living in that area were unaware of the police request.

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2005/08/29/1192453-sun.html

lostfaith said:
“Look at these pictures,” he points out, rifling through some recent photos that show a smiling Alicia. “This is from last weekend in Quebec on the Rouge River. O.K.? You understand how happy we were? This is – this is breaking my heart,“ he concludes, his voice shaking. “I loved her”.

I bolded some lines that bother me. "O.K.? You understand how happy we were?" For some reason that bothers me, cant put my finger on why.

And, "I loved her." .............past tense.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the interview. I wonder if she wanted out and he didnt?

And on googling today I found this..........
http://www.canada.com/national/nati....html?id=7ebf82a3-132a-4a53-90bb-83529515db57
Boyfriend not talking, mother says
Alicia ross disappearance: Hine refuses to take polygraph, police told her.....
THORNHILL - Police have told Alicia Ross's mother that Sean Hine, the last person to see her daughter before she disappeared two weeks ago, has stopped co-operating with investigators and refuses to submit to a polygraph test. SNIP................

Investigators have told Ms. Fortis that Mr. Hine has not spoken to police since an initial interview he gave in the days just following his 911 call reporting the disappearance, she said during an interview yesterday.

York Regional Police would not comment yesterday on Mr. Hine's level of co-operation.

Mr. Hine did not return calls seeking comment. SNIP.............

Like police, Ms. Fortis believes her daughter was charmed away from the family's Thornhill home by someone she knows.

"It had to have been some possessive type of situation. Because," she said, "we have no enemies."

Some days ago, the mother of Greg Rogers, a boyfriend of Ms. Ross' who died in a car crash in 1999 at age 20, came to the Ross-Fortis home bearing a gift: a lantern similar to the one that sits atop her son's grave.

Yesterday, the lantern, made of a brassy-type metal with patterns punched in to shed its light, sat at the front door of the Bronte Road home, lit and lightly smoking.

"It's the candle to light her way home," Ms. Fortis said.

I hope Alicia comes home safe.

rad said:
I, too, am confused about the information. I didn't read about anyone seeing signs of a struggle in the driveway, but I did read that the BF had been at her house and left and then tried to call her a few minutes later, but didn't talk to her. I agree....a bit controlling.
What I find real interesting is that he would be the one to call and report her missing. I wonder if he contacted her parents first, and if they were concerned. It is odd that the BF wasn't with the parents at the news conference and one paper reported that most of her close friends hadn't been introduced to him.
It seems that LE are following the same pattern, yes, there is a "person of interest", no, there isn't, "we are treating this as a missing persons case", "this is now a criminal investigation". It seems as though they are using the same profiler and following a script.

Signs of a struggle
He claims he looked around the outside of the family’s home, and saw signs of a struggle. But police won’t confirm anything as the hunt widens.

I can't figure out if they had been at his place and he drove her home but didn't wait until she was in the house OR if they were at her house and she walked him out through the back yard and he left without waiting until she was safely in the house.

They must have gone to his house as her parents last saw her at 11:00. That must have been 11 in the morning. If it was 11:00 at night that would mean that he dropped her off and her folks saw her when she came inside the house.

The boyfriend is raising red flags here...especially since he isn't cooperating with LE and won't take a lie detector test.

I don't understand how the boyfriend ended up calling LE. How did he find out that she hadn't shown up for work. Had he been calling her cell all night and then called her work first thing in the morning? I can't see her work place calling him....they would have tried her cell phone and then her parents as that is where she lived. You can bet he is LE #1 suspect.

Wonder why LE took her car? They had to have had a reason. They could at least keep us posted :D

Bobbisangel said:
I think he is trying to hard to convince LE too. One thing that I noticed is in the first article he said that he could tell that there had been a scuffle in the driveway....I believe he said driveway...the cops weren't willing to commet on it. In another article he says that he wishes he had waited until she got into the house but he didn't. He was tired and just let her out and went home.

Just when did he notice the scuffle if he went on home and didn't go back. I would assume that a lot of people had been in that driveway by the time he went back to Alicia's house.

I'd like to know if she took her purse, etc, with her when she went out with him too and I would like to know if anyone in the house can verify that Alicia came home at 12:00.

I can understand a person saying "we had a lot of plans" but I can't get around "I LOVED HER." I wonder if they had a glorious relationship :mad:

Sorry I know a girl missing is not funny but I almost choked on my soda, LMAO glorious relationship. :dance:

Oh God my heart is breaking for this family especially her mother, I am just so sick of these guys who think someone elses life is worthless.
The phone call he supposedly made 15 mins after he dropped her off is soooooooooo shades of Snott's call from The Bay it is eerie. He must have had help or someone else was involved, for the LE to keep asking them to come forward. They must know something, I have no doubt they know he is their prime suspect, but I suppose there is no evidence to arrest him yet. I am going to keep praying that they find her and that they get the evidence they need. Prayers for her poor mother.

Alicia's room is waiting Mother is keeping her hopes up

Fri, September 2, 2005
By BRODIE FENLON, TORONTO SUN

MARKHAM -- Alicia Ross' bedroom is ready for her return.

Her mother, Sharon Fortis, spent five hours on Wednesday cleaning the walls and furniture of black fingerprint dust.

"I wanted to erase all the awful black and maybe erase the whole thing," she told the Sun yesterday, her voice breaking. "And I wanted it ready for her when she comes back."

Everything in the large basement room is as it was at 11 p.m. on Aug. 16, the last time Fortis saw her 25-year-old daughter.

Ross had been there with her boyfriend of six weeks, Sean Hine, who said he left her at midnight outside the upscale home on Bronte Rd. in the Thornhill neighbourhood of Markham. Hine reported his girlfriend missing at 9 a.m. the next day when he couldn't reach her by phone.

Ross' bedroom, much like her large blended family, appears suspended in time -- a video still on pause now for 17 days.

Pink Floyd posters hang from the walls; trinkets and photos from Ross' travels around the world line the shelves; a basket of laundry sits by the bed; sliding glass doors look out over the backyard from which the young woman disappeared.

Nothing has changed, yet everything has changed.

Two weeks of newspaper headlines trace the arc of a missing-person case as it becomes -- and remains -- an all-out criminal probe. The bell curve rises with hope, then plummets with pessimism as York Regional Police admit suspicions of foul play:

"MISSING WOMAN. NO ONE'S GIVING UP. ALICIA CASE 'PUZZLING.' POLICE EYE FOUL PLAY. ALICIA KNEW HER KIDNAPPER. NOT A TRACE OF ALICIA."

Fortis and her husband, Julius, said they never expected it to go on this long. The passage of so much time has shaken their strength -- if not their conviction that Ross is still alive.

"It's getting very, very hard. I'm keeping my hopes up that she's alive. But if she's not, I just want to know where she is," Fortis said. "I'm not pessimistic. I'm still very hopeful. But I'm really scared ... If she's alive, she's in a very bad place that no one deserves to be in."

Everyone agrees Ross was abducted by someone she knows. But no one has come to the police with tips or clues, said Fortis, who spent Wednesday night with daughter Tricia driving past warehouses and peering into windows in a search both knew was pointless.

http://torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2005/09/02/1199040-sun.html

York Regional Police dismantled its command post in Thornhill yesterday, 17 days after Alicia Ross went missing.

"We are still very concerned for her well-being with each passing day," said Chief Armand La Barge, but added that the force remains hopeful of the 25-year-old's safe return.

Police moved the centre of the investigation to its offices in Richmond Hill because students will be returning to the site they had used, St. René Goupil Catholic School, on Tuesday.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050903/ALICIA03/TPNational/Toronto

I think the most suspicous thing to me is that he called the police at 9am to report her missing. It would seem to me her parents would report her. I wonder if he even called her parents. If they would have gone to her room to check on her then I think they would probably be the ones to call the police.

Maybe he wanted to report her missing to be the "caring boyfriend" and have his name cleared right away. I also wonder if they LE has checked with any previous girlfriends he may have had, and questioned what kind of relationship they had. :rolleyes:

CrimeHater said:
I think the most suspicous thing to me is that he called the police at 9am to report her missing. It would seem to me her parents would report her. I wonder if he even called her parents. If they would have gone to her room to check on her then I think they would probably be the ones to call the police.

Maybe he wanted to report her missing to be the "caring boyfriend" and have his name cleared right away. I also wonder if they LE has checked with any previous girlfriends he may have had, and questioned what kind of relationship they had. :rolleyes:
Good question. He seems like the controlling type. They hadn't even dated that long!!

fran said:
lostfaith:
Oh for goodness sakes. You'd think after watching the 'other' case so closely, I would have caught onto the BF. :confused:

You are absolutely right! :eek: ...If you read that last article linked, everything he said about her was in the 'past tense.'

We had so many plans for the rest of the summer.
I was going to propose to her next year.
We were supposed to go meet my parents next week.
.........and....just like SP asked det B that first night about a therapist, this guy says,
"I'm going to need therapy when this is all done." :loser:

Well, at least he knows he needs to appear human and is trying to show emotion. :(

Ok, I'm not going to convict the guy in my mind until we know more. But, I'm with you now, :eek: , my hinky meter is alerted!

possible motive .....and this is just a theory,.........
They just met, it's been a whirl-wind relationship, she just received a promotion and was to start a new job, they were supposed to 'meet his parents,' (and most people realize when a bf or gf have you meet the parents it's getting somewhat serious) perhaps she wanted to slow things down, take a breather, ........and he was afraid he was losing her and......... :confused:

This is JMHO and possibility, of course!
:innocent:
fran
I agree completely! Articles describe Alicia as strong and adventurous. She's traveled on her own, had previous boyfriends; she doesn't sound like she is ready to settle down. She just got a promotion which I think I read involved more travel. Sean appears far too possessive to have a place in her life for long.

His statement, "I was going to propose to her next year," bugs me. If their relationship was moving toward marriage, I would think it was something they talked about. "We were thinking of getting married next year," although in the past tense, sounds more appropriate to me.

From what I gather, although reports are confusing, Alicia and Sean were at her home. They were in her bedroom when her mother saw her at 11PM. Sean claims he went home about 12AM, leaving her either in front or in back of her house.

It's Sean.

IMO of course

Sean is to eager in my book. So what if she didn't answer her phone at 9:00 in the morning. Why would that mean that she was missing? If her mom had gone to her room she would have probably thought that her daughter had already left for work. Probably just depends on their morning routine. I can't see why Sean would think she was missing though. If I call someone in the morning and they don't answer their phone I don't turn around and call 911!!

My understanding is that they went to Sean's place. She left her home around 11 am. When Sean brought her home she went through the backyard as her bedroom is in the basement. That is why her parents didn't see her when she came home around 11 pm. There would be a door from the outside into her bedroom.

Truth of the matter is probably...he picked her up at 11 am and never did take her home but because her bedroom is in the basement he can say that he dropped her off and her parents can't verify one way or the other.

It does sound like LE is on to something. There must be a reason for them to suspect the involvement of others. Maybe Sean's roommates? It sounds like he was moving to fast for her...insecure and controlling. LE will get him sooner or later. He is a fool not to take the lie detector...unless he is guilty of course.

How did all of these guys end up so darn sick? The world is full of them.

Poor Alicia has kind of fell off the radar screen. I can't find anything on her after 9/2/05.

Hopefully the police are still on it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back