GUILTY Canada - Amanda Todd, 15, posts anti-bullying video apparently kills herself, 2012 *arrests*

It is a double edged sword -- the Internet also allows people to take historically "private" tragedies, such as a suicide, and blast them all over the internet while ENCOURAGING comments from the general public!

Suicide has long been a controversial topic and IMO a Facebook page was NOT appropriate, especially since the comments are turned on and poorly moderated. They are not doing Amanda any favors with that page, it is just plain undignified. The girl should be left to rest in peace and not turned into a FB fiasco.

It's not just the 20+ memorial facebook pages that people are continuing to spew their vile, hateful comments. I was reading her youtube comments and they were there too although there was somebody quickly deleting the worst of them. There are horrible comments even at wikipedia from people saying to delete the entry that was started about her. Some of the local newspapers also had some nasty things commented by the haters although I think they have now been cleaned up. Even one of my DD's friends was posting on her wall, basically "so what" type comments. I'm am saddened by both Amanda's death and the negative aftermath...

I would like to see a psychological profile on those bullies. I suspect they come from highly dysfunctional families and likely are psychopaths or budding psychopaths. I suspect they are going to be similar to Jerry Sandusky, Casey Anthony, Lori Drew, Kayla Narey, and Osama bin Laden.

The person who took the picture of Todd is likely antisocial, poor social skills, and has few friends, but likely extroverted. He is likely a pedophile similar to Jerry Sandusky and Jimmy Savile.

The bully or bullies (do not know how many) which led to Todd's suicide likely has a history of bullying and has had run-ins with the school and law. Most likely females, comes from a dysfunctional family where the parents are permissive and rarely use discipline.

I have a feeling this could be a major case.

I really feel for Amanda. At that age, having friends, having attention are the most important things in life. Plus, as a girl, you need to be as beautiful as you can to keep up with others.
When I was the same age, I got bullied too, but that was entirely my own fault, because I kept telling all sorts of lies to my friends, just for attention. I needed the attention so badly, now, many years later, I just wonder what the hell was going on in my mind to be so stupid.
Of course, they fund out about everything and of course they started telling me bad things. It was really hard for me to cope with it, then I changed school where I could start from the beginning and I was extremely happy and I learned from my mistakes. I have not spoken a lie just for attention since then, so I am kind of happy now that this happened to me, even though those two years were like hell for me. I was also playing with the thought of killing myself, but thank goodness I was too much of a coward for that.
My point is, it is really hard at that age, bacause just like that reporter from the previous link said, in highschool you think THIS is your world, this is your life and those people will forever stay in your life (which is ridiculous, of course).
This girl was even better than me, because taking those nude pics for a stranger was a mistake, which happened once and then that mistake followed her and she had no chance to start from the beginning, because that guy apparently followed her movements. She would not have done this again, I am sure.
Those girls from those schools must have been awfully cruel to her. It really takes something to kill yourself, you need a lot of courage and sadness to do that - especially when you choose such an extreme way to commit suicide.
That suicide is as tragic as it is - but that the bullying even continues after her death is heinous, for me it is a crime, really.
I really really hope that LE can track down at least those "friends" of her who started creating those awful FB pages and groups after her death. For me, they deserve to be punished.
When I read that Amanda had left her mother a video message on her phone I started crying. That just shows what a sensible girl she was, she was thinking about her mother before doing it - I am sure she felt bad about leaving her back alone, but she apparently just could not cope any more with the bullying in her school.
Those pages on facebook are awful, as well as the comments on youtube. I will spend another night now and report every single one of them, and also every single picture that is making fun of her death. I see it helps, many of those I reported last night have been removed.
I am well aware that thousands and thousands of young people commit suicide every day - but I have never ever seen such horrible and heinus comments afterwards. I am horrified by seeing how many young people join those groups - I just cannot believe it.
That case really touches me, I cant help myself.

Anonymous has sent the victimizer a message. Don't post his name here. He's apparently been outed.

I would like to see a psychological profile on those bullies. I suspect they come from highly dysfunctional families and likely are psychopaths or budding psychopaths. I suspect they are going to be similar to Jerry Sandusky, Casey Anthony, Lori Drew, Kayla Narey, and Osama bin Laden.

The person who took the picture of Todd is likely antisocial, poor social skills, and has few friends, but likely extroverted. He is likely a pedophile similar to Jerry Sandusky and Jimmy Savile.

The bully or bullies (do not know how many) which led to Todd's suicide likely has a history of bullying and has had run-ins with the school and law. Most likely females, comes from a dysfunctional family where the parents are permissive and rarely use discipline.

I have a feeling this could be a major case.

You know that she took the picture herself right?

I know you fancy yourself as a psychoanalyst, but from my personal experience the kids who bully others are usually those from the mid tier of the pecking order. They want to be higher and don't understand why they are not, so they pick on weaker kids to try to build themselves up. Mostly those kids are NOT antisocial, they do NOT have poor social skills and they pretty much allways have LOTS of friends (which is what gives them their power). They didn't come from dysfunctional families as far as I could tell. They were pretty normal for the most part.

That is the thing. In school you get a mob mentality in a social situation where the normal rules of society don't apply. They make their own rules as the go along. When these kids are out of that environment they behave like every one else. There is no predicting who will behave like that in school, pretty much any kid can given the right circumstances. That is why it is so hard to combat, and probably impossible. The only way to do it really is to abolish school and deal with education in some other way, which is not realistic given how our society is set up.

I know you fancy yourself as a psychoanalyst, but from my personal experience the kids who bully others are usually those from the mid tier of the pecking order. They want to be higher and don't understand why they are not, so they pick on weaker kids to try to build themselves up. Mostly those kids are NOT antisocial, they do NOT have poor social skills and they pretty much allways have LOTS of friends (which is what gives them their power). They didn't come from dysfunctional families as far as I could tell. They were pretty normal for the most part.

That is the thing. In school you get a mob mentality in a social situation where the normal rules of society don't apply. They make their own rules as the go along. When these kids are out of that environment they behave like every one else. There is no predicting who will behave like that in school, pretty much any kid can given the right circumstances. That is why it is so hard to combat, and probably impossible. The only way to do it really is to abolish school and deal with education in some other way, which is not realistic given how our society is set up.

Can you cite the information?

Upbringing

Abusers are usually brought up in a dysfunctional family. The more abusive the adult, the more dysfunctional the family. Often, the father, if present, is violent and abusive. Perhaps the mother is co-dependent, a successful survival strategy when living with a violent partner; however, co-dependency also perpetuates the violence as it avoids dealing with the issue. Usually one or both parents are sociopathic or psychopathic. Occasionally, the child is over-protected, usually by the mother, and thus never allowed to develop as an individual human being. Sometimes, the child is ignored in favour of a sibling.

Before blaming the parents, the reason parents are dysfunctional is because they were brought up in dysfunctional families. The more dysfunctional the parent, the more dysfunctional were their parents ... and so on. Most people are never taught parenting skills. The sole teachers of parenting skills are thus ... our parents. It's not that we actively teach our kids to parent - kids learn by example. We grow up and repeat what they did to us. If all you have ever known is abuse, that is the only way you know how to behave. Human beings do not automatically know what is right and what is wrong; we have to learn it.

The child lives in a dysfunctional environment where abuse, violence or neglect are the norm; as the subject of abuse, the child cannot predict the behaviour of the responsible adults, and therefore has no control. The child learns, usually from an early age, that using bullying behaviours brings relief from anxiety. With so few people able to recognise bullying for what it is, and with strategies of denial, distraction and feigning victimhood perfected by about the age of five, the child has found a successful strategy for reducing anxiety, and thus surviving. Controlling other children through violent behaviour means brings a sense of power (control) to the child; he can't predict or control his parents but he can control other (smaller or less physically strong) children. His targets also become useful objects onto which he can freely displace his own aggression.

Abuse

I identify seven types of abuse:

1. Physical abuse, including assault and any deliberate act resulting in physical injuries, including beatings in the guise of corporal punishment but which are delivered with fists or to the child's head. The work of Lewis and Pincus in the States is relevant here - in many violent criminals, especially serial killers, they've found evidence of brain damage during childhood from parental beatings and accidents which have resulted in a smaller than normal cortex, with consequent lack of ability to control violent tendencies.

2. Sexual abuse, including incest, rape, buggery or any paedophile activity for the gratification of the abuser. The abuser usually has a sexually dysfunctional or unsatisfying relationship with their partner; sexual relations may be violent or inadequate or non-existent, and the child becomes a convenient substitute.

3. Tactile abuse, where there is little or no physical contact between parent(s) and the young child, and any contact tends to be violent, punitive, unjust and inappropriate. Physical contact seems to be especially important in the first five or six years. Some children enjoy a cuddle into their teens. Sadly, with abuse coming into the open, many parents (especially fathers) now fear that physical contact with children may be regarded and misconstrued as abuse (Note: with malicious accusation, it is invariably the accuser who is guilty of the abuse - see projection on the serial bully page). For further information on the importance of touch, see the work of the Touch Research Institute.

4. Existence abuse where the existence and rights of the child are ignored
neglect of needs:
physical (food, clothing, shelter)
intellectual (education)
psychological (self-development, self-confidence, self-esteem, maturity)
behavioural (company, friendship, interpersonal and communication skills, relationships)
ignoring the child's existence
rejection as an only child
ignoring one child and loving all others (rejection)
ignoring the child as a separate human being and using the child as an extension of one's own existence (as in MSBP, Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy - almost killing the child then rescuing them in a dramatic attention-seeking manner by arriving at hospital casualty at the last minute, then revelling in the adulation of the concerned mother who nearly lost her child)
abandonment

5. Religious abuse or cult abuse
The child is forced to accept the narrow, exclusive religious views of the parent or guardian to the exclusion of any other belief or possibility of any belief
Any behaviour by the child not in line with the parents' rigid religious zeal is met with punishment and abuse
The child is starved of development in interpersonal skills and relationships in the name of religion
The child is subjected to strange, unnatural and often perverse beliefs on sexual matters and sexual development in line with the religious belief
The child is discouraged or prevented from associating with any person not sharing the religious belief of the parent or guardian

6. Emotional abuse, including
refusal or unwillingness or inability to express love
deliberate withholding of love
conditional love (eg "I don't love you when you behave like that")
loving one child to the exclusion of all others
cocooning and smothering, denying the child the opportunity to develop as a separate individual
being forced into any conflict between parents
being used as a pawn by warring parents
being forced into a caring or caretaker role at an inappropriate age
witnessing alcohol or substance abuse, especially on a regular basis, perhaps being forced to participate
witnessing violence between parents or adults

7. Psychological abuse, including
constant criticism of a trivial and unjustified nature
unjustified blame, often for things which have no connection with the child (scapegoating)
refusal to value
refusal to acknowledge the child and their achievements
refusal to praise
inconsistency in judgement
unclear, shifting and inconsistent boundaries, sometimes no boundaries, at other times very tight boundaries
refusal to make eye contact with the child over a long period
refusal of parents to agree with or support each other when dealing with children
unpredictable behaviour on the part of the parents

Tim Field explores abuse including child abuse, physical and sexual abuse, emotional abuse, verbal abuse and the types, causes and consequences of abuse
http://www.bullyonline.org/related/abuse.htm

Thought and prayers to Amanda's family and all who loved her.

:rose: Rest in Peace dear Amanda :rose:

Amanda Todd's alleged tormentor named by hacker group

A national child anti-exploitation group, cybertip.ca, says it received a tip almost a year ago about Todd.

A concerned citizen contacted the organization last November to report that images of Todd were being circulated online, said spokeswoman Signy Arnason.

"We did receive one report, and that was passed along to law enforcement as well as child welfare," Arnason said Monday. "It was not a report from her, but it was a report from a concerned citizen."
Seedy underworld

The kind of sexual exploitation described by Todd is part of a seedy cyber-underworld that targets young girls and it is not bullying, but a vicious crime that should be pursued even after her death, say child advocates.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/15/bc-amanda-todd-tormentor-anonymous.html

Alleged Amanda Todd tormenter tracked down

image.jpeg

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/alleged-amanda-todd-tormenter-tracked-down-1.997244

<modsnip>
This seems a little like reverse stalking. Vigilantism, it seems like those links posted are doing the exact thing that was done to Amanda. The newspaper article decided to take the high road by not publishing his name. I guess I do not feel that comfortable with links calling him a killer.

Surely I am in no way defending his actions but I believe this is for a court of law to decide.

This seems a little like reverse stalking. Vigilantism, it seems like those links posted are doing the exact thing that was done to Amanda. The newspaper article decided to take the high road by not publishing his name. I guess I do not feel that comfortable with links calling him a killer.

Surely I am in no way defending his actions but I believe this is for a court of law to decide.

As mentioned before - I am from the same area as Amanda so this tragic case if very close to my heart.

The news articles took the high road primarily because it is against the law to publicly identify someone before they have been charged and could adversely affect Amanda and her family receiving justice. Our regional police, the RCMP, are investigating this "outing" but have not identified him either.

As much as I want to see the perp brought to justice, I would really really appreciate it if posters would consistently use the word alleged with any post. Let's not give this guy an inch to squeeze through to get away. And yes, the group Anonymous does recognize themselves as vigilantes.

I believe it wasn't a picture, it was a screem "flash" which the guy took a screen shot of.

I agree.

But, did LE know of this alleged person prior to the information being found seemingly very quickly by Anon? What if this alleged person is indeed actually one of the perpetrators of a criminal act in this case?

It's my opinion that LE is very, very behind the times for the most part, and have their legal hands tied, with respect to getting information regarding online activities. The cogs in the wheels can be very slow.

That being said, I in no way wish to see vigilante justice in Amanda's case, and I agree about watching our posts.

The info is out there, and I was linking to it, for anyone wishing to read it for themselves.

After watching some of the Capper Videos, it is clear to me that there is a whole underground of this stuff going on, not to mention the fact that teens and pre-teens, adults too, are using webcams, phones, the Internet for things that could get them in serious trouble. A picture or a video lasts forever, especially on the Internet.

In my opinion, parents are not generally aware of the extent of what is going on, and I hope Amanda's terrible death opens some eyes on what is occurring online and otherwise.

I agree.

But, did LE know of this alleged person prior to the information being found seemingly very quickly by Anon? What if this alleged person is indeed actually one of the perpetrators of a criminal act in this case?

It's my opinion that LE is very, very behind the times for the most part, and have their legal hands tied, with respect to getting information regarding online activities. The cogs in the wheels can be very slow.

That being said, I in no way wish to see vigilante justice in Amanda's case, and I agree about watching our posts.

The info is out there, and I was linking to it, for anyone wishing to read it for themselves.

After watching some of the Capper Videos, it is clear to me that there is a whole underground of this stuff going on, not to mention the fact that teens and pre-teens, adults too, are using webcams, phones, the Internet for things that could get them in serious trouble. A picture or a video lasts forever, especially on the Internet.

In my opinion, parents are not generally aware of the extent of what is going on, and I hope Amanda's terrible death opens some eyes on what is occurring online and otherwise.

You are correct Wondergirl, the RCMP squad attached to this case have been unable to find him because they are bound by laws - and a hacker is just that. It takes a hacker to find a hacker because there are no laws for them.
So what the RCMP will do in this case I don't know. Again, because of our laws on alleged confidentiality, he cannot officially be named. But what I also don't know because the information is too new, is if they can actually use this information to charge him.

Interestingly, our local news station reported that this guy is in the court system on another charge of sexual abuse. That was it, no further information.

Sexting or taking nude photos of oneself and sending it to a "boyfriend" is apparently a very sommon practise these days among pre-teens and teenagers. I guess I am too old to get my mind into a world where that would be okay or even fun and no, I'm sure these kids just aren't thinking about the long term consequences. They just feel the pressure of peers of boys they want to impress. But of course it sets their pics up for being used on pedo sites all over the world.

I just don't know how these kids will navigate through this world - and we already see such terrible consequences. This is a long long way from the days when I was that age and we worried about some smart aleck snapping our back bra strap in class.

In my opinion, Anonymous did a hell of a good job.
Considering that the flashing happened two years ago, and, according to Amandas mother, LE was informed immediately aboout everything. So, two whole years and LE was not able to track this guy down.
It took only a couple of days for Anonymous!
What was going on?

In addition, the person who allegedly did the stalking is, how old? 32 if I remember correcly. He apparently didnt have anything better to do than stalking Amanda, although he didnt even know her?
He must have done a very good job with the stalking, as Amanda changed school so often, and every single time he got in contact with other kids and sending the photo around.
What is going on with this man? He is over 30. If you do not have anything better to do at that age than stalking a teenage girl, you are indeed sick.
What he did resulted in death. If it wasnt for Anonymous, he may have never been caught.

I am sorry if I sound stupid now, but: (IF HE IN FACT DID IT!)
He deserves this so much. Having his name printed all over the internet. Just like he did with Amanda. (I have not seen a photo of him, except the blurred one which was posted before).
When I heard those news today, I was so happy.
At least some justice is served this way.

:jail:

Considering that the flashing happened two years ago, and, according to Amandas mother, LE was informed immediately aboout everything. So, two whole years and LE was not able to track this guy down.
What was going on?

In addition, the person who allegedly did the stalking is, how old? 32 if I remember correcly. He apparently didnt have anything better to do than stalking Amanda, although he didnt even know her?
He must have done a very good job with the stalking, as Amanda changed school so often, and every single time he got in contact with other kids and sending the photo around.
What is going on with this man? He is over 30. If you do not have anything better to do at that age than stalking a teenage girl, you are indeed sick.
What he did resulted in death. If it wasnt for Anonymous, he may have never been caught.

He deserves this so much. Having his name printed all over the internet. Just like he did with Amanda. (I have not seen a photo of him, except the blurred one which was posted before).

I have a sense of satisfaction (a wicked one) with what Anonymous has accomplished. ITA.

BBM

They may have seemed normal to you but I can promise you anyone bullying another person is not at all normal, MOO. I know a young girl right now who is a bully. She is beautiful, charming, social butterfly and from the outside looking in you would think she comes from a normal home. But I know this child very well and I can tell you that she is severely self centered, has horribly low self esteem, and has an extremely dysfunctional home life. Things aren't always what they seem. Having been bullied myself, watching my daughter be bullied and knowing a young bully it is MOO that the bully themselves tend to have more problems than the kid they are picking on.

RIP Amanda!

EVERYBODY - listen up. Canada has publication laws similar to those in the UK and Australia.

WS will not allow links to social media content that has NOT been verified and/or that violates those publication laws.

For this CASE, because it is a Canadain case - links to Canadian MSM are allowed - because they follow the rules. Also, links to US MSM are allowed unless there is a reason to exclude them in the future.

If you have questions, please pm a mod and they will help you out.

Salem

What was going on?

I'd like to see some jail time along with his photo plastered all over the net. And I believe the police knew about the bullying but not the depth of it - until recently. I don't believe there was an active investigation to find this person although I could be wrong. His identity was hidden behind many blind IP addresses and they actually thought he was American
As if it wasn't enough to contact her friends and schools, he also posted her pics on *advertiser censored* sites and then taunted her with it because she refused to continue the sexting beyond the first "shot".

Since this is the way our world is going - I think we need to move our laws beyond protecting civil rights and rewrite some of them. We had a new law presented in parliament to give the police greater powers but it was struck down re privacy concerns. I guess the question will ultimately be what are we prepared to give up in order to protect ourselves and our children?

I wonder if the person in question might be involved in some ring and may have had contact with other perverts like Jerry Sandusky. I know this is in the area of speculating.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back