CANADA Canada - GARRY TAYLOR HANDLEN, child rapist/killer, 1970's

Murder charges in deaths of 12-yr-old Monica Jack and 11-yr-old Kathryn-Mary Herbert

B.C., Project E-PANA

2014-12-01 14:45 PST

Three decades of investigative efforts, led by investigators from Project E-PANA and the Provincial Unsolved Homicide Unit have resulted in homicide charges being laid in two BC homicide cases from the 1970s.

On September 24, 1975, 11-year-old Kathryn-Mary Herbert was heading to her Abbotsford home when she disappeared. Her mother reported her missing and tragically 2 months later her remains were located near Harris Road in an undeveloped area.*The investigation into her death*underwent extensive reviews by various police agencies over the years. In October 2005 investigators from the Provincial Unsolved Homicide Unit assumed conduct of the case.

The murder of 11 year old Kathryn-Mary Herbert was heinous and horrific. It devastated a family and deeply impacted a community. The investigation into the murder spanned years and required a concerted effort by law enforcement to gather the necessary evidence to bring charges against a suspect. The journey to arrive at this point, however, was not just the product of a continued effort by police; it was also the result of the tenacity, persistence and love demonstrated by her mother, Shari Greer,*says Deputy Chief Rick Lucy of the Abbotsford Police Department.

On May 6, 1978, 12-year-old Monica Jack was riding her bike along north on Highway 5A just south of Quilchena near the Nicola Ranch in Merritt, BC. While her bike was discovered a day later, it would be another 17 years before her remains were located on June 2, 1995, in a rural area north of Merritt about six kilometres from Highway 5A. Investigative efforts moved forward and in 2007 her murder was added to the Project E-PANA investigation.
<mod snip>

http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&languageId=1&contentId=39704

Sooo...he would have been say between 28-31yrs when he committed the crimes in B.C? I wonder when he was residing in Ontario.

Not Ontario, but a google w/o the middle name, am seeing possible connections to Vancouver Island (Courtenay, BC) circa 1970 (wrt married, daughter). Won't link because can't be 100% sure but there is another on the Island (circa 1943) with different first name, but same middle name and surname.

Suspect information:

The prime suspect in this case is a convicted rapist, both before and after. He is now free and has never been charged with the murder of Kathryn-Mary.

Respectively snipped by me.

Bringing this forward.

And I think I found him in central Ontario (Haliburton area) in 2013. Photo looks very much like him. I won't link since I'm not absolutely 100% certain.

ETA: I should mention that his first name isn't spelled correctly in the source that I found, but I still think it's him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...970s-murders-of-two-bc-girls/article21861146/
rbbm.
"Supt. Ward Lymburner, the officer in charge of the special projects unit, said three decades of investigation by multiple police forces combined to pinpoint the same suspect.

He described Handlen as having travelled extensively through B.C. and Alberta at the time and released the man&#8217;s photograph from that era, asking the public to come forward with tips if it jogs any memories. He said the man previously lived in the Lower Mainland and has a criminal record"

>>snip>>

"Investigators added the mystery of Jack&#8217;s death to Project E-PANA, which had been probing 18 unsolved homicides or missing-women cases along B.C. highways. In 2007, new investigators reviewed 500 previously-conducted police tasks and initiated 241 more tasks, including a series of re-interviews and new forensic analysis."

>>>snip>>>

"Handlen remains in custody and is scheduled to next appear in Abbotsford Provincial Court on Dec. 8."

I had watched the CBC documentary years ago for Kathryn...I had not heard of Monica's disappearance....*I will be reading up fully now!* ...

Kathryn's story stayed with me for a long time...every so often I would go looking to read again....

This is a very good day.....I hope this will bring some closure and peace to the Moms & the families....

Also, if there are other victims out there of Handlen's...hopefully that will be uncovered as well!

For Kathryn...:rose:
and Monica...:rose:

From this article that one of you lovelies *I can't remember who..I'm sorry!!*...posted on the last page....

http://www.theprovince.com/news/charged+deaths+girls+nearly+years+later/10430792/story.html

"A 24-year-old man with the same name as Handlen was sentenced to 5½ years in prison in 1971 for raping an 18-year-old Comox housewife.
Eight years later, a Garry Taylor Handlen was again in court for raping a 21-year-old Quebec hitchhiker in the woods near a rest area in Manning Park." *rsbm*

"During sentencing, Crown counsel Wally Oppal requested life imprisonment for the convicted rapist to send a message “people like Mr. Handlen can’t take advantage of defenceless girls.”
Handlen received an 18-year prison term.
"

I'm assuming he was let out early/good behaviour for the first rape conviction...otherwise 5 1/2 years from 1971 would put him in jail when Kathryn-Mary was abducted & killed. I will have to go look for a release date if it's available to be found. For the second rape in 1979? *eight years?* ..he rec'd an 18 year sentence...I will have to look for a date of release on that one as well....

Needless to say I just don't understand people like him.....I just can't....

MOO & JMOO of course

Want to say how nice it is to see this thread labelled SOLVED!

Extra detail about dates and whereabouts of GH..
Oh boy, bet this alleged perp, is responsible for lots more than we know of, imo....
rbbm
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...en-was-known-in-1970s-as-a-menace-to-society/

"It isn&#8217;t clear exactly where Handlen lived during the mid-1970s, but police have consistently said in the past that Kathryn-Mary&#8217;s case bore similarities to Monica&#8217;s file as well as that of Theresa Hildebrant, 15, who disappeared in 1976 in Matsqui.

>>snip>>

"It is known that once out of prison, Handlen moved to Ontario and was living there prior to his arrest Friday in Surrey.

The only newspaper article mentioning his name in Ontario was written in 2004, when Handlen was living in Minden, a small northern town in the province&#8217;s picturesque cottage country

Police alleged Handlen led officers on a &#8220;low-speed&#8221; chase, while driving in the middle of a country road at 20 km per hour. The Lindsay Post newspaper story said the slow-moving driver refused to pull over for police for 30 minutes."

Local OPP say there&#8217;s a chance Handlen could have been living in Minden even more recently, but they can&#8217;t confirm when. - See more at: http://cfbk.moosefm.com/news/former...d-in-murder-of-bc-girls/#sthash.w22QPrdM.dpuf

Now that he has been 'outed' by the media as having lived in Minden Ontario, I will link to the spot where I came across his photo published in early April 2013 and referencing that he was from Minden. (Check out page 6.)

In his own words:

I think that all those teachers
who are complaining should
retire. Of course they should
look after the kids. It is very
important.

:maddening:

So it seems that he was in Minden in 2004 and in Minden in 2013, which means that there is a high likelihood of him living there through that period. (All presuming that these references turn out to be correct, naturally.)

Now that he has been 'outed' by the media as having lived in Minden Ontario, I will link to the spot where I came across his photo published in early April 2013 and referencing that he was from Minden. (Check out page 6.)

In his own words:

So it seems that he was in Minden in 2004 and in Minden in 2013, which means that there is a high likelihood of him living there through that period. (All presuming that these references turn out to be correct, naturally.)

Great sleuthing, but ..
Holy crow, that is very disturbing! :eek:

Snoopster -- thanks for all this info, and to dotr too for quoting you and flagging attention to the Ontario connection on a thread for murder victim Sonia Varaschin .... chilling ... yet ... somewhat promising info. Thanks so much for sharing this critical info.

In his own words:

Can you give us a link for that quote, snoopster. Thanks !!

A good timeline here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-killer-evaded-charges-for-39-years-1.2857584

"Since his release from prison Handlen has spent time in Edmonton, and more recently, in Minden, Ont."

^^BBM

It would be interesting to find out when he was in Edmonton....

I know between 1997 and 2003? there were at least a dozen women killed and I don't believe their cases were solved....IIRC...
http://www.missingpeople.net/the_killing_fields.htm

There are also the victims included in the Highway of Tears...I know some can be attributed to Bobby Jack Fowler....but not all?

Then in 1976 ....Theresa Hildebrandt also from Abbotsford...

IIRC in an article *will have to find link*...the detectives felt the 3 girls were linked ....I think it was in the Garden of Tears video?

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/ID/1314296302/ *CBC link is working again!*

& here:

http://vimeo.com/51664791

There is one point in the video *starting about the 15 min mark* where retired Abbotsford policeman Norm MacFarlane pulls out his file folder and you can see a mug shot of one person they have always thought was the ONLY suspect.....looks to me like GTH.....*believe me I've been pausing and inspecting all the papers he shows in that clip!...can't read a lot of it tho*

He then says the name of the person they felt was their only suspect....they mute him when he says it....and blur his mouth....but I swear I can see him saying Garry Taylor Handlen....probably wishful thinking but I do believe that is who he is saying....JMOO
There seems to be quite a lot of information out there about Kathryn & Monica's disappearance & murders...but I'm finding it very difficult to find ANYTHING about Theresa...everything seems to just link back to stories about K & M...

Also, from the above video...Kathryn's mother talks about the boyfriend of the girl she took in...who it turns out in information released in articles today...was GTH...
She says at about the 16:09 mark:

"...& it turned out, after my daughter was found, the police told me he was a convicted sex offender...& that's what he JUST got out of jail for....
This...this sex offender never came back to my house again after my daughter disappeared...
"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back