CANADA Canada - GARRY TAYLOR HANDLEN, child rapist/killer, 1970's

in this article, CBC has a Timeline for GH including a couple of new items.

His first known conviction was in 1969. He was charged with indecent assault and sentenced to 6 months.

Then there was the rape conviction in Comox BC in 1971 (sentence 5 1/2 years) that we had already seen mentioned.

in 1975 he allegedly murdered Kathryn-Mary.

In 1978 he was a very busy (bad) guy. I don't quite understand the timing, but on May 6 he allegedly murdered Monica in Merritt BC. He was sentenced to 6 months in New Westminster BC for assault with intent to rape (not clear where this happened nor age of victim) and finally he was convicted of the September sexual assault of the hitchhiker near Hope BC. (Sentenced to 18 years, later reduced on appeal to 12 years.)

Since his release from prison Handlen has spent time in Edmonton, and more recently, in Minden, Ont

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/garry-taylor-handlen-accused-child-killer-evaded-charges-for-39-years-1.2857584

It would be nice to know his release date and how long he hung around Alberta, before heading to Ontario. It's difficult to imagine that there aren't more victims.

ETA: I see that Lori beat me to it on the Edmonton lead.

in this article, CBC has a Timeline for GH including a couple of new items.

His first known conviction was in 1969. He was charged with indecent assault and sentenced to 6 months.

Then there was the rape conviction in Comox BC in 1971 (sentence 5 1/2 years) that we had already seen mentioned.

in 1975 he allegedly murdered Kathryn-Mary.

In 1978 he was a very busy (bad) guy. I don't quite understand the timing, but on May 6 he allegedly murdered Monica in Merritt BC. He was sentenced to 6 months in New Westminster BC for assault with intent to rape (not clear where this happened nor age of victim) and finally he was convicted of the September sexual assault of the hitchhiker near Hope BC. (Sentenced to 18 years, later reduced on appeal to 12 years.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-killer-evaded-charges-for-39-years-1.2857584

It would be nice to know his release date and how long he hung around Alberta, before heading to Ontario. It's difficult to imagine that there aren't more victims.

ETA: I see that Lori beat me to it on the Edmonton lead.

I'm wondering....if he was released early from his 1971 conviction....usually time served is 1/3 or 2/3? of original sentence....I think 2/3...that would be 44 months...so just into 1975..?
This guy never stays out of trouble....he wasn't long out of jail when he allegedly murdered Kathryn...and on...and on...
If he's responsible for Theresa...that would be 1976....
After that....Monica...1978....
Then the girl who escaped in 1979 & for whom he was ultimately convicted & sent to jail....
Now...if he was released after 12 years rather than 18....that would be approx 1991? I'm afraid to think about what he's been doing since 1991...society was only free of him for the 80s basically.....
JMOO...ya can't tell me this guy stopped.....not after seeing his pattern of behaviour thru the 70s....I know there is rehabilitation...but geez louise ya know? I doubt it with him. IMO

as always JMOO

I'm wondering....if he was released early from his 1971 conviction....usually time served is 1/3 or 2/3? of original sentence....I think 2/3...that would be 44 months...so just into 1975..?
This guy never stays out of trouble....he wasn't long out of jail when he allegedly murdered Kathryn...and on...and on...
If he's responsible for Theresa...that would be 1976....
After that....Monica...1978....
Then the girl who escaped in 1979 & for whom he was ultimately convicted & sent to jail....
Now...if he was released after 12 years rather than 18....that would be approx 1991? I'm afraid to think about what he's been doing since 1991...society was only free of him for the 80s basically.....
JMOO...ya can't tell me this guy stopped.....not after seeing his pattern of behaviour thru the 70s....I know there is rehabilitation...but geez louise ya know? I doubt it with him. IMO

as always JMOO

Totally agree with you Lori. This guy was on a huge roll...not stopping for anything. My post wasn't clear on the 1978 events, but he seemingly did 3 attacks in the that one year.

1) an assault with intent to rape case (6 month sentence)
2) alleged murder of KMH on May 6
3) the assault of the hitchhiker in September (it was the trial that was in January).

ETA: Sorry, I just realized that I am turning this thread into a thread about the accused perp. I think he deserves his own thread, since it appears likely that he is a serial killer. (alleged only)

Time to start looking at some of the Alberta cases in the early 1990's!

Totally agree with you Lori. This guy was on a huge roll...not stopping for anything. My post was clear on the 1978 events, but he seemingly did 3 attacks in the that one year.

1) an assault with intent to rape case (6 month sentence)
2) alleged murder of KMH on May 6
3) the assault of the hitchhiker in September (it was the trial that was in January).

ETA: Sorry, I just realized that I am turning this thread into a thread about the accused perp. I think he deserves his own thread, since it appears likely that he is a serial killer. (alleged only)

Time to start looking at some of the Alberta cases in the early 1990's!

Oh I understood your posts completely! I tend to run on with replies so it's definitely ME that just types willy-nilly & yeah...I can become confusing*L*
You are right...it was Sept 78 and the trial/conviction in 79...gah...I get too wrapped up & start babbling...forgive me!

Seriously...I have this ominous feeling....we are going to find out things about this guy...bad things... :(
Good for the powers that be trying to put some closure to unsolved cases...but horrifying to see what an individual is capable of.... JMOO

Quick reply to apologize for my typo Lori. I meant to type "my post WASN'T clear". I'm just not having a good typing/posting day. Too tired from work. :sheesh:

This is a really rough timeline for a start. Some dates are approximate and it will improve as we get more specific info:

1943 a person with different first name but same middle and surname shown as living in Comox, BC
1969 GTH convicted of indecent assault
1966-1970 Courtenay, BC - newspaper article indicated a GTH married with a daughter in 1970
1971 Handlen living in Courtenay
1971 Handlen sentenced to 5 1/2 years for raping an 18 y.o. in Comox
1974 Handlen would have been released with time off for good behaviour after serving 44 months of his 66 month sentence
1975 April 23, Karen Ewanciw was killed in
1975 November, Kathryn Mary Hebert was killed in Abbotsford/Matsqui
1976 Theresa Hildebrandt disappeared from Matsqui, BC
1978 Dates unknown, GTH sentenced in New Westerminster to 6 months for assault with intent to rape
1978 May 6 - Monica Jacks killed in Merrit BC
1978 September 11 - Handlen was living in New Westminster BC
1978 September - GTH raped 21 y.o. female at a rest area in Manning Park (she was hitchhiking from Hope BC to Kelowna BC)
1979 Handlen in court for the September 1978 rape; sentenced to 18 years
1991 Handlen would have been released on statutory release after serving 12 years of his 18 year sentence
1997 Handlen would have been off community conditions from his 18 year sentence
2002 June 30 - Lisa Marie Young disappeared from Nanaimo BC
2004 Minden, ON . GTH led police on slow speed chase for 30 mins
2013 Minden, ON - Handlen commented in Minden newspaper
2014 December 1, Handlen arrested in Surrey, BC

"Time off for good behaviour" changed to "statutory release" in 1992. Under the "statutory release" with 1/3 knocked off the sentence, they continue serving the rest of their sentence in the community. Not yet sure how the pre-1992 calculation for "good behaviour" was arrived at.

http://www.pbc-clcc.gc.ca/infocntr/factsh/release-eng.shtml

Ibm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-killer-evaded-charges-for-39-years-1.2857584

"The accused has kept a low profile in recent years, spending time in Edmonton and Minden, Ont.

A longtime friend of Handlen's, L W, gave CBC News a handwritten note saying, "The recent news regarding Garry Handlen's arrest was as much a surprise to me as it was to anyone. These hideous acts of cruelty highlight a side of Garry that was unknown to me and many others."

"An employee of a Minden retail store says Handlen was a regular client and was in the store the week he was arrested. He said Handlen had a good reputation as a handyman and he was always pleasant to work with. He said Handlen’s clients were mostly single women who never had a bad word to say about him.

Reports say Handlen was living on Anson Street for the past ten years. A source told Moose FM that Handlen had at least been coming into the store for the past ten years and always seemed trustworthy."
- See more at: http://cfzn.moosefm.com/news/more-d...ns-activities-in-minden/#sthash.ch07qW9x.dpuf

There is more .... This is an excellent article on Garry from the Minden News.
He spent time in Minden, Ontario in the 80's, but has lived in Minden during the last decade. What I am trying to find out is - (He was arrested in Surrey, BC.) Was he picked up by police in Minden and flown to Surrey for formal charges of 1st degree murder?. How did that play out?
http://mindentimes.ca/?p=5662

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...akes-court-appearance-in-abbotsford-1.2864334

"On Monday morning Handlen appeared briefly in court, wearing a red sweatshirt and glasses with closely trimmed grey hair.

He nodded when the judge set a date for his next appearance in March, but did not appear to acknowledge those in the visitors gallery, which was filled with the family and friends of the girls he is accused of murdering."

http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/285123781.html

"Both Kathryn-Mary's mom, Shari Greer, and Monica's mom, Madeline Lanaro, declined to speak to media outside of the courtroom, but a traditional First Nations healing ceremony was conducted in the parking lot of the Abbotsford Courthouse.

Kelly White of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, one of the co-founders of the Women's Memorial March for Missing and Murdered Women, led the ceremony.

Each mom was draped in a "star quilt" adorned with thunderbirds signifying butterflies and the transformation of life, as they were surrounded by their families.

Drumming and prayer followed. White said the idea of the ceremony is to bring strength and healing to the families, and she thanked them for allowing that to happen.

"We appreciate them … for allowing us to come over during their suffering time to permit us to create a healing process for them," she said".

Handlen was arrested in Surrey on Nov. 28

rbbm

I have updated the wikipedia page of the Highway of Tears murders with the latest arrest info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Tears_murders

So this is three different serial killers already caught in the same region. The country is beautiful and scenic, but anything but safe.

So Monica is on the Highway of Tears list but Mary is not? I guess that makes sense since Abbotsford where Mary lived is probably 10-12 hours from the start of the Highway of Tears in Prince George. I wonder why her thread here was started under the Highway of Tears forum in the 1st place?

http://www.theprovince.com/news/accused+killing+girls+nearly+years+makes+first/10855779/story.html

"ABBOTSFORD, B.C. — A 67-year-old man charged with first-degree murder in the historic deaths of two young girls has made a brief court appearance in B.C.’s Fraser Valley.

Garry Handlen is accused of killing 11-year-old Kathryn-Mary Herbert in 1975 and 12-year-old Monica Jack in 1978.

The Ontario man wore glasses and a jail-issued red sweatsuit when he appeared by video link but said nothing as lawyers in Abbotsford, set a new date of April 1 to disclose more documents".

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Doe...ccused+killing+them+years/10853017/story.html

"Lanaro said she appreciates the police’s persistence in investigating the case over the past four decades, which finally resulted in the criminal charges. “I’ve always known they were working hard,” she said.

When police announced the charges in December, Chief Supt. Jim Gresham, head of the B.C. RCMP’s Major Crime Section, praised both Lanaro and Greer for being “amazing advocates for their daughters.”

There is more .... This is an excellent article on Garry from the Minden News.
He spent time in Minden, Ontario in the 80's, but has lived in Minden during the last decade. What I am trying to find out is - (He was arrested in Surrey, BC.) Was he picked up by police in Minden and flown to Surrey for formal charges of 1st degree murder?. How did that play out?
http://mindentimes.ca/?p=5662

Couldn't have been in Minden in the 1980s when he was sentenced in 1979 to 18 years (later reduced to 12 by the BC Court of Appeal)

ETA: unless he was out on the street pending the Appeal !! :eek:

Maybe Handlen was not in BC when he was arrested after all.

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1301470/accused-b-c-child-killer-appears-in-court/
rbbm.

"Mounties announced Handlen’s arrest and the charges against him at the beginning of December.

Officers refused to provide specifics of what led to the breakthrough, saying they brought Handlen into custody without incident in Surrey, B.C. He was no longer living in B.C. at the time".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back