Found Deceased Canada - Jessica Newman, 24, Calgary, 10 March 2015 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well rumour was she was killed and then a person who claims to know the victim said she was not killed but was in hospital. I wish CPS would clarify. They have repeatedly confirmed that JR is still missing because of the rumours that she was found. I think the rumours were of the (other) girl who was raped behind 7-11 but CPS did not confirm the truth or rumour of this speculation. Very scary.

https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryPol...3741836.21374974529/10153138606539530/?type=1
If one looks at the similarities between this case and Shannon Burgess, it seems like there could be a possible connection. If Shannon left her car at home, she likely walked or got a ride with someone. Jessica was also on foot, presumably waiting for a ride. Both areas are fairly close to each other, both known to have some shady characters stroll for prostitutes.

Another possible connection... Both were in their early twenties and possibly had lifestyle choices that made them vulnerable.

If one looks at the similarities between this case and Shannon Burgess, it seems like there could be a possible connection. If Shannon left her car at home, she likely walked or got a ride with someone. Jessica was also on foot, presumably waiting for a ride.

Another possible connection... Both were in their early twenties and possibly had lifestyle choices that made them vulnerable.
The night before a custody hearing though? Ridiculously coincidental then... and why didn't the roommate show any concern about her leaving the 2 other kids behind... unless they are also living elsewhere.

3 kids at the age of 22? Has that been confirmed?

Once again, friends and family appear to be withholding information. I understand that they are just asking for people to look... but people are a little more apt to look closer than in the past, and require more useful information before investing time and effort.

No one wants to be duped by a funding campaign, or by someone running and hiding.

LE has my every sympathy if this happens 3000 times a year.

If I were to ever go missing I have instructed my family to plea to everyone on my social media to update their current profile picture and status with as much information as they can to say when and where they last saw me and anything that I may have mentioned. I would want the info public so that everyone would work together and if possible make sense of some sort of detail or trigger where to look. Some of the friends on my FB page my husband would not have any idea how I knew them or who they are. I think it would at the very least speed things up in looking to my possible wherabouts. I believe my aquaintances would assist. If they didn't I am sure they could be ruled out for various reasons.

There's one thing that I'd like to make sure of...

She did show up at work on Tuesday evening, right? And she went missing after her work shift..?

I happen to agree that the custody hearing could be the key here. Whether she skipped out or was the victim of foul play remains to be seen.

The thing is that her roommate (Mike Hahn), said this
The court date was the next morning, she was definitely going to go to that because she wanted to make sure to have the custody hearing to get 50-50, that’s what they were talking about.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1883869/24-year-old-jessica-newman-missing-since-tuesday/

The way he explained it, there didn't seem to be any huge disagreement between the father of her child and her, at least not regarding the custody of their child. Major problems usually seem to arise from both parents wanting full custody and not being able to reach an agreement.

The thing is that her roommate (Mike Hahn), said this http://globalnews.ca/news/1883869/24-year-old-jessica-newman-missing-since-tuesday/

The way he explained it, there didn't seem to be any huge disagreement between the father of her child and her, at least not regarding the custody of their child. Major problems usually seem to arise from both parents wanting full custody and not being able to reach an agreement.
The fact they are in court usually means disagreement. Custody agreements can be made out of court.

She did show up at work on Tuesday evening, right? And she went missing after her work shift..?

Has her place of work been announced?

Yes. She worked until 9:30 pm - they close at ten. Co-workers report seeing her outside "waiting for a ride" - No word of whether she was seen getting into a vehicle or cab.

The fact they are in court usually means disagreement. Custody agreements can be made out of court.
Exactly. In Alberta, that is done through mediation and submitted to the court. The onky reason a Judge gets involved, is when there is a disagreement that cannot be met in mediation.

Exactly. In Alberta, that is done through mediation and submitted to the court. The onky reason a Judge gets involved, is when there is a disagreement that cannot be met in mediation.

The family describes Jessica as having visitation with her son. I take this to mean she did not have custody. Possibly her circumstances were back-on-track and so they had to go before a judge because of an original court order. So she could have fallen back into trouble (lifestyle) and did not stand to win or was afraid of the outcome and willfully disappeared. Or, the ex or family of the ex or whoever has custody has made the attempt to silence her.

The family describes Jessica as having visitation with her son. I take this to mean she did not have custody. Possibly her circumstances were back-on-track and so they had to go before a judge because of an original court order. So she could have fallen back into trouble (lifestyle) and did not stand to win or was afraid of the outcome and willfully disappeared. Or, the ex or family of the ex or whoever has custody has made the attempt to silence her.
No mention of a lawyer involved yet. Most likely preliminary... only one day off requested too... suggests preliminary.

There are a few other possible reasons, but not many. Typically, the mediation itself is court ordered, and requires an initial appearance.

No mention of a lawyer involved yet. Most likely preliminary... only one day off requested too... suggests preliminary.
From what I have seen it can be done in one day. Some have a lawyer some don't. Some meet with the mediator prior to court and make the agreement and the Judge simply signs off on it.

From what I have seen it can be done in one day. Some have a lawyer some don't. Some meet with the mediator prior to court and make the agreement and the Judge simply signs off on it.

There are a few other possible reasons, but not many. Typically, the mediation itself is court ordered, and requires an initial appearance.
Usually in AB, lawyers don't get involved unless custody is contested by one or both parties. Even then, it is not uncommon for both parties to go in without lawyers. It is standard practice for both parents to attend a course then mediation sessions before ever entering a courtroom.

Given that she missed a "visitation", whatever hypothetical 50/50 agreement was not being implemented without going to court first. Suggests no agreement heading into court...

Given that she missed a "visitation", whatever hypothetical 50/50 agreement was not being implemented without going to court first. Suggests no agreement heading into court...
It could have been an agreement without legal help... They could have agreed that the child stays with Dad, and then co-parenting broke down so Mom needed to go to court to get a formal order issued for 50/50 parenting time. He could be denying her the 50/50 access they initially agreed on.

Usually in AB, lawyers don't get involved unless custody is contested by one or both parties. Even then, it is not uncommon for both parties to go in without lawyers. It is standard practice for both parents to attend a course then mediation sessions before ever entering a courtroom.
In order for "visitation"... it suggests there's an order in place already... which requires an initual appearance to change it should one party want to, and the other party doesn't.

It could have been an agreement without legal help... They could have agreed that the child stays with Dad, and then co-parenting broke down so Mom needed to go to court to get a formal order issued for 50/50 parenting time. He could be denying her the 50/50 access they initially agreed on.
She never missed a visitation... scheduled time with her own child... it suggests no cooperative co-parenting.

Mystery location of two alleged other children... no other Fathers or Grandparents making public pleas... there is much more to this story.

She never missed a visitation... scheduled time with her own child... it suggests no cooperative co-parenting.
She missed visitation because she is missing. It was reported that she never missed it prior.

It is not uncommon for two unmarried parents to have a verbal or informal custody agreement. Unless of course they were legally married, there was no legal requirement to have one. It is possible that what started out as an amicable agreement, turned contentious. For whatever reason, the father may have started denying her access. This would mean that she would need a formal order to ensure her co-parenting rights are being adhered to and specifics are set out to prevent further violations of parenting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500