CANADA Canada - Jolene Cote, 36, Edmonton, AB, 12 Oct 2011

Cold case: Memorial walk marks seventh year of Jolene Cote's homicide
Oct 13 2018
"Family and friends of Jolene Cote gathered Saturday in Spruce Grove to mark the seventh anniversary of her murder.

Cote, a married mother of two, was found dead by her husband on the grass outside their home at about 6 a.m. on Oct. 13, 2011.

The 36-year-old Spruce Grove middle-school teacher was last seen alive by surveillance cameras leaving a Wal-Mart in west Edmonton at 10:40 p.m. on Oct. 12, 2011, after buying Christmas presents for her then six-year-old son and four-year-old daughter."
"A $50,000 reward is still on offer for someone willing to come forward with information that leads to a conviction in Cote’s killing.

The memorial walk was held Saturday at Greystone Centennial School in Spruce Grove and travelled to Jubilee Park".

I hope there is strong focus on the husband. He was there, could be motive and always should be first to consider. He slept through her arrival, moved her (thus likely destroying evidence and creating alibi), and moved to Mexico later! Need to find what hit her on the head but that is likely difficult after so much time. I am shocked to hear the husband did not go through a lie detector test considering he was the only one proven to be at the scene.

It’s been seven years since Jolene Cote‘s body was found in her Parkland County home, and her friends and family are still holding out hope for a break in the case.
A timeline of the Jolene Cote murder investigation
RCMP scour Parkland County lake nearly 5 years after Jolene Cote was murdered
The family was collecting donations for the Alberta Homeless Link at the walk, which led supporters away from the school and around Jubilee Park
RCMP still seeking clues 7 years after Jolene Cote’s death: ‘We need all the help we can get’

I hope there is strong focus on the husband. He was there, could be motive and always should be first to consider. He slept through her arrival, moved her (thus likely destroying evidence and creating alibi), and moved to Mexico later! Need to find what hit her on the head but that is likely difficult after so much time. I am shocked to hear the husband did not go through a lie detector test considering he was the only one proven to be at the scene.
Welcome to Ws joeysta1!

Hi everyone, new to the group. Jolene and I went to high school together although we did not hang out together. I have followed her case since I first heard about it. Every year at this time I think about it a lot. Things I find odd...
- why are police so convinced robbery was not a motive?
- has the husband been ruled out by police and family? He would obviously be the first suspect.
- is the missing jewelery relevant or a red herring?
- it would seem that had she gone straight home she would have arrived prior to midnight but the date of the murder is said to be the 13th on the memorial fb page
- the police statement early on about knowing your neighbors

Hi everyone, new to the group. Jolene and I went to high school together although we did not hang out together. I have followed her case since I first heard about it. Every year at this time I think about it a lot. Things I find odd...
- has the husband been ruled out by police and family? He would obviously be the first suspect.
- it would seem that had she gone straight home she would have arrived prior to midnight but the date of the murder is said to be the 13th on the memorial fb page
Welcome to Ws ABsleuth, great questions!

Welcome to Ws ABsleuth, great questions!
Just listened to Jolene Cote's unsolved murder story on The Trail Went Cold Podcast. So very sad that her murderer has not been brought to justice.

Regarding the pond/lake being searched. Was it to look for murder weapon? Or for missing jewelry?

Here's hoping that justice shows up for Jolene very soon.

9-year-old homicide of Spruce Grove teacher 'solvable': Alta. RCMP

Initially, police reported Cote’s jewelry was missing, suggesting a possible robbery. Mounties have since determined that wasn’t the case. RCMP say Cote didn’t normally wear jewelry when taking part in sports, and the evidence outside the home did not support a theory of robbery.

There were other valuable items such as her purse and her cell phone that were in plain view, and those weren’t disturbed or taken,” said Staff Sgt. Zazulak. “And so we don’t believe that it was a robbery or a theft interrupted.”

Initially, police reported Cote’s jewelry was missing, suggesting a possible robbery. Mounties have since determined that wasn’t the case. RCMP say Cote didn’t normally wear jewelry when taking part in sports, and the evidence outside the home did not support a theory of robbery.

There were other valuable items such as her purse and her cell phone that were in plain view, and those weren’t disturbed or taken,” said Staff Sgt. Zazulak. “And so we don’t believe that it was a robbery or a theft interrupted.”

I think, to me, it's pretty clear what they are hunting at. I'm surprised this case doesn't attract more attention.. Such a suspicious and strange case in many ways.

I think, to me, it's pretty clear what they are hunting at. I'm surprised this case doesn't attract more attention.. Such a suspicious and strange case in many ways.

Yes I think it’s quite clear.
- no robbery
- no one found with any sort of grudge including former students, or associates.

BBM

“Documents from a court case involving Jolene Cote’s life insurance payouts include an RCMP letter to the court, in June 2014, indicating that Mike Cote had not been eliminated as a suspect in his wife’s homicide.

Staff Sgt. Zazulak told CTV News that still has not changed.

“There’s additional questions and additional information that we would like to pursue with Mike Cote.”

RCMP say Cote cooperated with the investigation initially, but that he has since moved to Mexico with the couple’s two children, has remarried, and is no longer in contact with investigators...”

This case still drives me nuts--no justice for 9 years and a husband remarried in Mexico. I want to generate more discussion (there is virtually no talk online about this case)... but I honestly think it's very telling that MC (husband) and his wife went to Mexico a year (approximately) before she was killed. I believe that MC found another woman and that he was with her while his wife was at the soccer tournament and that he/his mistress decided that his wife was in the way. This is just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong.. but RCMP have said it wasn't random, wasn't about robbery and was a crime of passion or "highly emotional" to quote them.. what else could it be?

And I just wanted to add--looking at MC's new wife's facebook--you will find photos like the attached one... that is a picture of their house...likely very close to the spot where Jolene was found dead... it's hard to look at.
And the picture of him and his new wife--2 years after Jolene was murdered...
1380139_10153306262290573_1324586855_n.jpg

1743587_10155314659380573_4433176207166937807_n.jpg

It seems that there is nowhere out there that has a true, active discussion on this case.. I can't believe it doesn't draw more attention.. we are nearly to 10 years on this case with still no "significant' progress, or so it would seem.

Was there any indication on what they were looking for in the lake and if they found anything? How was she killed? My heart breaks for the family.

Cause of death has never been released but from the link below LE believe the murder was not a random act of violence, nor a crime interrupted. They say it was a targeted crime.

This article was published in 2020 when it appears the grandmother was still in touch with her two grandchildren. The RCMP report just above indicates the husband and two kids have moved to Mexico and he’s no longer in contact with investigators. I wonder if he’s cut off contact between the children and their grandmother as well.

I’d like to think the RCMP know more than they’re saying but trying to locate someone in Mexico isn’t always an easy matter, particularly during the past year considering the added complexity of the covid pandemic.

Murder still unsolved | Mayerthorpe Freelancer
“Of course we desperately need justice but it isn’t something I dwell on,” she said. “To me, this whole thing is more about tragically losing Jolene and her children losing their mother. Her children and their well-being have been my focus since the day this happened.

“I know that’s how Jolene would want it.”

Jolene’s two young children were four and six-years-old at the time of her death. Now at the age of 13 and 15, Commandeur says she does whatever she can to help the children preserve their mother’s memory....”

Just wanted to address your questions here--Jolene's children still see their grandmother (Jolene's mom). I've actually exchanged messages with Jolene's son on Youtube and other platforms--he believes his father to be innocent and indicates that he father was asleep with him when the murder occurred.... not saying his memory couldn't be flawed, but it's what he has said--I could provide screenshots if needed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back