GUILTY Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #7

http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3132215

Catching the bad guys with science
Belleville police forensics unit
By Luke Hendry
Posted 23 hours ago
Their clues may be small, but forensic officers' findings can have a big impact on a police investigation.

Sgt. Grant Boulay heads the Belleville Police Service's forensic idenitification unit, known among officers as simply "Ident."

The biggest team effort was his 2002 work on British Columbia's Robert Pickton pig farm case. Forensics played a major role in identifying Pickton's many victims and in convicting him.

Working on the Russell Williams murder case "was very satisfying," he said.

Boulay was among the team that linked Williams' tire tracks and footprints to those found at the home of one of his victims, Belleville's Jessica Lloyd. At the time, said Boulay, he didn't know he was investigating the then-commander of CFB Trenton.

"Boulay's job hinges on fine details but he doesn't discuss them, declining politely but firmly to elaborate on major cases.

Some gain higher profiles, he said, but those that don't reach the spotlight may involve just as much work".

Regarding the assets of MEH, we have a situation where a member of her family has committed horrible crimes. His victims want compensation, and she is included in their lawsuit. If this lawsuit is successful, it could set a very dangerous precedent such that families of adult criminals are placed in financial ruin because of the crimes committed by family members.

IMO, the only reason MEH was included in the lawsuit was due to the timing of the transfer of assets, possibly combined with how title to the property was held.

Historically/typically, married couples have held title to property as joint tenants, not as tenants-in-common. As joint tenants, they each have an equal 100% interest in the property, but also have a 100% responsibility in any claims against the property. IF they were to hold title as tenants-in-common, they would each own a 50% interest with no say in the others 50% and no liability for claims against the others share (i.e. if MEH owned 50% in her own right, no claim involving RW would have been made against her 50% share, but the claim would be only against RW's 50% that he transferred to her). Make sense??

I haven't worked in law for a number of years now, so have no clue how family law may have changed with regard to matrimonial assets, or how prenuptials might factor into the above (if they exist).

WOW! Wow, wowwww!

After the exhausting Bradley Cooper trial, I took couple days break. Then hubby and I decided to stretch our budget and we've entered a 6 month "stay-away-from" cable TV (groan). Where would I feed my passion for detective stories??

Well, right here ... at W/S. So, for the last week - 10 days, I've spent a few hours *every night* reading about this case ... starting from post #1 when Jessica was missing.

Towards the end, I was rocking back and forth in this chair going thru the court case, absolutely broken inside; I was as exhausted and as shocked and *as* upset as you all were. Yet, as a team your mettle never ceased. Hazel, Wondergirl, Antique Girl dotr Summer s/billy n/bgirl Sgirlonthenet macright ... can't remember all names now ... but to all of you THANK YOU for your passion and dedication.

The right words evade me ... suffice to express an immense round of applause to you regular posters here for ... some immaculate sleuthing. Seems like I know y'all so well ... and despite the heartache ... I laughed out loud at some of silly billy's one-liners! I wept when Jessica's mother gave her VIS ... and I gagged when I saw the "letters" Monster Williams ... a.k.a. ex-Col Mustard, wrote.

otto - you'd have done yourself a *huge* favour ... and saved some good $$$ on the book ... by just reading here. It's as good as it gets, the references, comments ... thoughts ... and understanding has been incredible.

My saving on Cable TV in tougher times has paid off with these real life crimes. .... and y'know .... despite being "eons" away, I've found myself proud of what the Canadian Forces represent ... and a great deal more knowledgeable now than I was but 2 weeks ago. What a great job your country does, with others in the coalition, for people all over the world. (Thank you, Canada!)

Phew ... I do have some thoughts on this case - however I feel that flying in as the sun begins to set on this terrible ordeal, those thoughts may not be appropriate.

What soldiers you have all been apropos this case. Thank you!

Jessica ... :blowkiss:

&

Marie ... :blowkiss:

They got him, sweet Angels .... they got him. Rest in Peace.

Well here he is in Wikipedia, but this is the first (I think) that RW was given the moniker "Kinky Killer Colonel"
Serial killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7% of serial killers today have some background or experience in the military.[97] Two such serial killers are David Russell Williams "The Kinky Killer Colonel" and Robert Lee Yates. David Russell Williams was a colonel in the Canadian Air Force who escalated from panty heists to serial rape to serial murder

The Toronto Sun has learned surviving victim Laurie Massicotte is pitted against defendants David Russell Williams, Mary Elizabeth Harriman, the Attorney General of Canada on behalf of the Department of National Defence and her Majesty the Queen in Right of Ontario.

The defendants were served with the notice of claim on July 13 and, in that, document Massicotte and her Belleville lawyer J. David M. Ross outline a number of accusations against them all.

Massicotte will be making the claim that there was a “breach of duty of care by not warning her that a previous sexual assault had taken place on the same street where she lives only days before.”

It also cites a “breach of duty of care by not warning her of previous break and enters that had taken place on the same street” since Sept. 9, 2007 where “items of female clothing were taken.”

more at link: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/18/second-civil-suit-pending-against-killer-colonel

Police warn of underwear thief
Chatham officer asks victims to come forward -- By Brian Cross, The Windsor Star -- July 19, 2011

<snips>
A single break-in has prompted police to take the unusual step of issuing a public safety advisory because of what was taken: a woman's underwear, photos and cash.
Police are urging residents to take extra precautions to protect their homes from breakins and are asking residents who have been similarly victimized, but have not reported the break-in, to call police.
Police are releasing almost no details about the break-in, including when and where it happened, because the investigation is ongoing.

Pearce said DNA was recovered at the scene of the break-in and is being analyzed, but wouldn't elaborate.

The break-in brings to mind the case of Col. Russell Williams, the Canadian military commander who pleaded guilty last year to two murders, two sex assaults and 82 break and enters in eastern Ontario.
Pearce wouldn't comment on whether the Chatham break-in was done by someone with the same kinds of sexual obsessions as Russell.

"There's nothing to lead us to believe that's the case," he said.

He said the advisory was issued out of an abundance of caution, "to be proactive with our citizens."

Pearce said police attitudes about public warnings have changed following the case of Jane Doe, an anonymous woman who successfully sued Toronto police for making the decision to not warn the public about a serial rapist who subsequently raped her in 1986.

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Police+warn+underwear+thief/5122915/story.html#ixzz1Sg0gMxdF

The number to report suspicious activity to Chatham-Kent police is 519-352-1234, or 911 in an emergency.

(Respectfully snipped, bolded and underlined by me)

from the Montreal Gazette:

Russell Williams' victim claims police left her bound, naked for five hours
By Andrew Duffy, Postmedia News August 20, 2011 1:03 AM

A woman who was bound and sexually assaulted by her then-neighbour, Col. Russell Williams, says the police left her tied up for five hours after responding to her 911 call.

Laurie Massicotte says Ontario Provincial Police officers told her they had to leave her in the harness, fashioned by Williams, until an OPP photographer arrived to take pictures of her in the restraint.

"I was left for five hours, still in my harness, still tied up, naked, lying under a comforter," Massicotte, 47, told the Ottawa Citizen in a telephone interview Friday.

"Five hours, no medical attention. I was in total shock. I didn't know what the heck was going on."

The OPP, she said, treated her like a criminal in the early hours of the investigation.

One officer told her neighbour, Massicotte said, that police suspected she was trying to "copycat" what happened to another sexual assault victim in Tweed, Ont., 12 days earlier ...

full article at:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...eft+bound+naked+five+hours/5281354/story.html

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...tied-up-for-hours-as-police-investigated?bn=1
"Massicotte recalled that after the ident officer came to take photos, police gave her a bathrobe and she was &#8220;paraded&#8221; outside her home in front of other officers. Then, police grilled her for details of the attack, took her fingerprints and made her feel like a &#8220;criminal,&#8221; she said".

&#8220;Even to this day I&#8217;m still in shock. It starts to wear off then you hear more and more. It keeps getting worse,&#8221; she said. &#8220;It&#8217;s a struggle to get up every morning. I don&#8217;t enjoy life anymore. I stay inside. I don&#8217;t enjoy people.&#8221;

Two Peterborough County OPP constables receiving provincial OPP awards for work on Russell Williams investigation

Const. Greg Berry and Const. Heath Crichton, both of the forensic investigations unit, are among 35 OPP officers being honoured for their part in Project Hadfield, which led to last November's conviction of the former colonel for murdering two women, sexually assaulting two others and 84 fetish-related property crimes in the Tweed, Belleville and Ottawa areas.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3302364

This is not related at all, but I found it interesting, that this perp shared the same joyless and blank look in his perverse photos as did RW...
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/09/21/18717466.html
OTTAWA - "The sight of a man having sex with a Cabbage Patch Kids doll is a hard thing to take on a Tuesday afternoon, or indeed at any time at all."

"He makes no sound on the tapes but peers back at the camera, his face dead and pleasureless".

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...icted-killer-russell-williams-ex-wife-and-opp
The Toronto Star reported, the more than $7-million law suit filed on Friday claims police failed to provide her with any information about the identity of her assailant while he remained her neighbour for five months following the assault.

Also,
http://www.thespec.com/news/article...m-sues-russell-williams-and-opp-for-7-million
Another sexual assault victim, whose name is protected by a publication ban, is suing Williams and his wife for $2.45 million.

An agreement signed shortly after Williams was charged shifted the couple&#8217;s assets to his wife&#8217;s name. She has since filed for divorce. She could not be reached for comment Saturday.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/09/27/18746946.html
The life of former Canadian military colonel Russell Williams may be headed to the silver screen.

Penguin Group and Richard Lowry Productions Inc. announced Monday the book Camouflaged Killer: The Shocking Double Life of Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams, by David A. Gibb, will be adapted into a motion picture.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/27/russell-williams-movie-to-be-made
"Since Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the public has been fascinated by characters with duality of personality -- Col. Williams, a revered leader on one hand, a killer on the other, is one of those characters," Dick Lowry said in a statement. "Based on David's book, I intend to bring to the screen a memorable, if not frightening and insightful look at the man behind the crimes."

Development of the project is to start immediately, Lowry said.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...icted-killer-russell-williams-ex-wife-and-opp
The Toronto Star reported, the more than $7-million law suit filed on Friday claims police failed to provide her with any information about the identity of her assailant while he remained her neighbour for five months following the assault.

(BBM and snipped)

I just don't understand how this part of the lawsuit has any merit since LE didn't know the identity of her assailant until five months later. How could they have given her something they didn't have?

Postmedia News Sep 29, 2011 – 6:34 PM ET | Last Updated: Sep 29, 2011 6:37 PM ET

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...s-took-break-from-his-crimes-to-contact-base/
By David Pugliese

The email from a Canadian Forces base commander to one of his subordinates seems routine enough.

He says he can’t come into work that day and needs to cancel a series of official functions, including his attendance at an RCAF memorial luncheon.

“Please hold the Fort/Base in my absence,” wrote Russell Williams at 5:52 a.m. on Jan. 29, 2010.

At the time, he was taking a break from repeatedly raping Jessica Lloyd, 27. Williams had abducted from her home the day before.

Newly released emails and other documents, obtained by The Ottawa Citizen under Access to Information, show a commander dutifully dealing with running one of the largest military bases in the country, all the while he was involved in his crimes. They also reveal the extent of the shock wave that hit Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ont., in the aftermath of Williams’ arrest.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...s-took-break-from-his-crimes-to-contact-base/
"The day before he broke into Lloyd&#8217;s home to abduct her, Williams was asking military officials via email whether a visit to CFB Trenton by Helena Guergis, then minister of state for the status of women, and Leslie Natynczyk, the wife of the chief of defence staff, could be delayed.

He pointed out that the pace of operations at the Trenton base was high and suggested it wasn&#8217;t a good time for the women to visit."

While I can understand that the surviving victims of Williams felt like their suffering was not the main priority for police, without proper collection of evidence there may not have been a confession. If police had immediately released the victim without carefully documenting, photographing and preserving evidence the living victims could be in a situation where no one was held accountable. Would the victims feel any less traumatized if police had not bothered to collect all the evidence? Somehow I don't see how the collection of evidence - including the time required to get a police photographer to the remote rural area - is the root of the trauma.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back