GUILTY Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #7

<< snips >>
Williams transferred his interest in the couple's expensive Ottawa home as well as additional assets to M.E.H. about six weeks after he was charged with two murders and a string of sexual assaults in eastern Ontario.

One of his victims has accused the couple of fraudulently transferring property into M.E.H.'s hands to avoid liability in a civil suit she has filed.
In early 2011, Justice Jennifer Mackinnon banned the publication of a wide range of details relating to M.E.H, including her name, address and contact information, the name of her employer, her income and expenses, medical information and her domestic contract with Williams.

The judge also forbid publication of a photograph or likeness of M.E.H.

Mackinnon ruled Williams' wife was "vulnerable and is entitled to be shielded from further publicity to some extent."

The Citizen, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and the Ottawa Sun are arguing that Mackinnon's order is flawed and contravenes the principle of open courts that governs matrimonial proceedings.
Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/S...ublic+lawyer/5783704/story.html#ixzz1f8hVg1Uj

WOW! :shocked2: I for one am shocked! All that will just make people wonder even more what is there to hide?!?!?!?!?:couch::runaway:

I haven't read it. Is it worth the purchase? I have read A New Kind of Monster by Timothy Appleby.

I haven't got very far in the book, but it has an interesting tone ... kind of puts the reader in the room with Williams to almost see and hear what happened. Will update when I find a few hours to really get into it.

<< snips >>

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/S...ublic+lawyer/5783704/story.html#ixzz1f8hVg1Uj

WOW! :shocked2: I for one am shocked! All that will just make people wonder even more what is there to hide?!?!?!?!?:couch::runaway:

All divorce files used to be public information ... just go down to the courthouse, search the file name, and read all the dirt. A few years ago someone in politics was getting divorced and realized the level of exposure ... so then all divorce files were sealed.

I don't see any reason why the divorce file should be published in the news. The wife, according to evidence we know of, was not involved in the crimes and is also a victim. Is there any reason for her to be further victimized because some of the public wants to be voyeurs in her life?

As his wife, she is entitled to some of his pension and all sorts of other things - no reason for her to be denied what is rightfully hers. Once the assets that belong to her are identified, what is remaining should be free game for all the other victims.

MEH is not a victim. She's an unfortunate bystander, IMO.

All divorce files used to be public information ... just go down to the courthouse, search the file name, and read all the dirt. A few years ago someone in politics was getting divorced and realized the level of exposure ... so then all divorce files were sealed.

I don't see any reason why the divorce file should be published in the news. The wife, according to evidence we know of, was not involved in the crimes and is also a victim. Is there any reason for her to be further victimized because some of the public wants to be voyeurs in her life?

As his wife, she is entitled to some of his pension and all sorts of other things - no reason for her to be denied what is rightfully hers. Once the assets that belong to her are identified, what is remaining should be free game for all the other victims.
You seem to forget the assets have already been transfered to her name.....a year or so BEFORE she filed for divorce. I am sure what people want to see is some kind of justice towards the real victims.

It is NOT out of "curiosity", as you seem to think. If no assets had been transfered in such a way (right after he was charged), you can be sure nobody will care about their divorce proceedings.

Don't want to initiate a argument about this, not intending to change your mind or anyone elses point of view. You are free to think and feel the way you do :seeya:

He didn't transfer all assets to her name, they separated their assets. He got the cottage, she got the house ... there was a transfer of funds regarding his pension, which she is entitled to, and I remember reading that she bought out his half of the Ottawa house - which was/is mortgaged. The division of assets per separation agreement is covered by matrimonial law, and I don't think the government can really step in and tell them that they didn't divide their assets in such a way that was approved by the general public.

He still has his portion of the pension and the cottage. People can sue him for that ... but no one has the right to take away his wife's assets as well.

You seem to forget the assets have already been transfered to her name.....a year or so BEFORE she filed for divorce. I am sure what people want to see is some kind of justice towards the real victims.

It is NOT out of "curiosity", as you seem to think. If no assets had been transfered in such a way (right after he was charged), you can be sure nobody will care about their divorce proceedings.

Don't want to initiate a argument about this, not intending to change your mind or anyone elses point of view. You are free to think and feel the way you do :seeya:

IIRC the assets have actually not been transferred and were frozen once the lawsuits started coming in and will stay that way until the suits make it through the judicial system.

IIRC the assets have actually not been transferred and were frozen once the lawsuits started coming in and will stay that way until the suits make it through the judicial system.

If I understood correctly, the transfer of ownership HAS taken place. Isn't the new house in her name already?
Wasn't the Judge's order of freezing the assets done to prevent the "new owner" from selling, transferring, etc.
The transfer of ownership was done so quietly, so quickly after he was charged, that they cannot blame the public for wondering what the "intentions" were. What would have happened if the Judge didn't order for the assets to be frozen?

As we have been repeating over and over, had she not make that 'move', and not make the taxpayers pay for her floors to be redone, then she wouldn't be in the news. In reality she brought this onto herself.

Seems it is hard for some people to understand the principle of ACTION and REACTION.

Furthermore, from the recent news, Mrs.W is letting the public know that there are "other assets" as well that were transferred to her.
Again, what were their intentions? Maybe try to do some good and do whatever they could to help the many real victims and their families?

Just my humble opinion :)

Like the saying goes: "Actions speak louder than words"

OTTAWA —The wife of convicted serial killer Russell Williams is in a fragile psychiatric state, her lawyer told a Toronto court Tuesday, adding a court fight with her husband could lead to total collapse.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/S...lliams+divorce+proceedings+should+public+media+lawyer+argues/5783518/story.html

a court fight with her husband?

Williams’ wife has not yet filed for divorce, despite the urgings of her psychiatrist and statements from her lawyer saying she intends to do so.
And here we were thinking she had already filed it!! One and a half year later (1-1/2) after dividing/transferring assets, and no filing for divorce yet? tsk tsk (actions speak louder than words :whistle: again )
M.E.H, who continues to work for a prominent national fundraising organization,
Wait a minute! Wasn't she at the verge of a collapse? :floorlaugh: Had SO many comments made after each single paragraph, that in the end I thought this pair are not worth my time. So no comment!

Praying that God will illuminate the Judge and give him/her the wisdom and common sense to do the right thing. Amen

And here we were thinking she had already filed it!! One and a half year later (1-1/2) after dividing/transferring assets, and no filing for divorce yet? tsk tsk (actions speak louder than words :whistle: again )

Wait a minute! Wasn't she at the verge of a collapse? :floorlaugh: Had SO many comments made after each single paragraph, that in the end I thought this pair are not worth my time. So no comment!

Praying that God will illuminate the Judge and give him/her the wisdom and common sense to do the right thing. Amen

link is gone already!!!!

Media spotlight too much for Williams' wife: lawyer

The wife of convicted serial killer Russell Williams is in a fragile psychiatric state, her lawyer told a Toronto court Tuesday, adding a court fight with her husband could lead to total collapse.

Russell Williams, the former base commander at CFB Trenton, is serving two life sentences in Kingston penitentiary for a string of sado-sexual crimes that culminated in the murder of two Eastern Ontario women.

Williams&#8217; wife has not yet filed for divorce, despite the urgings of her psychiatrist and statements from her lawyer saying she intends to do so.

She wants to ensure her divorce is private, and in April won an unusual ruling from Ottawa Judge Jennifer Mackinnon that protects her name, address, contact information, the name of her employer, her income and expenses, medical information and her domestic contract with Williams.

The judge also forbid publication of a photograph or likeness of M.E.H. in relation to the case and sealed a contentious domestic contract executed just weeks after Williams was charged.

Court heard Williams intended to transfer his military pension to his wife as part of an arrangement that also transferred title of the couple&#8217;s expensive Ottawa home to her exclusively.

&#8220;Seems she could go to the Ottawa courthouse, say she&#8217;s been separated for more than a year, get your divorce and go home,&#8221; Armstrong said. &#8220;She&#8217;s got an iron-clad agreement.&#8221;

&#8220;It will not be up to my client whether it will be an uncontested (divorce),&#8221; Binks replied. &#8220;Who will predict what Mr. Williams will do?&#8221;

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/M...+wife+lawyer/5787352/story.html#ixzz1fFNYmmxT

BBM - There are certain procedures you have to follow when you are filing for a divorce, one of which is living separate and apart for a certain period of time. Given the circumstances that she was married to a murderer, it could be different, though I suspect family court/judges/lawyers don't have to deal with that all that often, I'll have to go and check out the Act and see what it says (if anything).

BBM - There are certain procedures you have to follow when you are filing for a divorce, one of which is living separate and apart for a certain period of time. Given the circumstances that she was married to a murderer, it could be different, though I suspect family court/judges/lawyers don't have to deal with that all that often, I'll have to go and check out the Act and see what it says (if anything).
They have been living apart NOT by choice, but because the hubby was finally caught, arrested and charged on February 8, 2010 (21 months to this date).

The reason she is giving for not having filed for divorce already is because she FIRST wants to make sure the divorce proceedings are private - the question is: Would she still go ahead an file for divorce IN THE EVENT that this Judge rules in favour of the news group and the public?

Filing for divorce being 'conditional' to it being done away from the public's eyes, just reinforces the belief that there are some "dark" things to hide (nothing to hide nothing to fear)
So once again, it is her own doing - she's bringing all this attention to herself.

Also, reinforces that belief of what their 'intentions' were the moment they transfered the 'valuable' assets from both to just one.

:idea: Just had an idea, how about they reverse the ownership, now THAT would be a great solution!! Let's put the cottage a.k.a. house of torture and murder in the one who cannot be named name, and the new house in the perv's name....PERFECT solution!
If she agrees, then we will know that the division was fair ;)

IMO what is at the bottom of it all is the I N T E N T I O N S behind the A C T I O N S

Nobodyzgirl, we all know that many times Judges' hands are tied by the law, and even though they know it's wrong to rule one way, they have no choice but to follow the law....which does not always protect the victims, but the criminals....very sad, but true.

Meanwhile, several details emerged about the settlement Williams and his wife signed a month-and-a-half after he was charged with the crimes.

Court heard Williams intended to transfer his military pension to his wife as part of an arrangement that also transferred title of the couple&#8217;s expensive Ottawa home to her exclusively.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/M...+wife+lawyer/5787352/story.html#ixzz1fJJDTXyF
March 24, 2011
Harriman's lawyer, Mary Jane Binks, said her client needs protection from a predicted "media onslaught," even though it appears Williams will not be contesting the divorce.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2011/03/24/17746161.html

Justice David Doherty, who is presiding over the three-judge panel, doubted several key aspects of her case.

He said M.E.H seemed to hold an irrational fear of a U.K.-style journalism, &#8220;where people are hanging out of trees taking pictures in people&#8217;s windows.&#8221;

&#8220;I have trouble understanding how referring to someone by name in a newspaper is a &#8216;constant invasion of their privacy,&#8217;&#8221; he said.

&#8220;We accept that as a result of everything&#8217;s that happened to her a lot of this may be in her head,&#8221; Binks said. &#8220;But it is in her head.&#8221;
Doherty added that the order from Justice Mackinnon appeared to be &#8220;a very decent thing to do&#8221; for M.E.H., whose world was shattered by her husband&#8217;s crimes.

&#8220;But it&#8217;s not what the constitution &#8230; requires,&#8221; he said.

He later asked Binks why Williams&#8217; wife&#8217;s concern for her privacy was &#8220;greater than yours or mine.&#8221;

&#8220;Because of her current psychological state,&#8221; Binks replied.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Media+spotlight+much+Williams+wife+lawyer/5787352/story.html#ixzz1fLHONkAB

Yes. ???

What court fight? I didn't read anywhere that he would be contesting a divorce. For what purpose? Since he signed assets over to her I presumed a divorce was a mutual decision and would not be contested.

MEH's money should have been used to hire a publicist/spokesperson who is seasoned at handling the "awkward" situations one does not want in the papers,starting with putting the "right spin" on shiny new floors.IMO.

Interesting comment regarding visitation at Kingston Penitentiary on this article.

Does MEH visit her husband in jail? If hypothetically speaking she did, from a legal stand point, would that effect the current litigation against them both? I would be interested in the legal argument, if so.

Search warrant unsealed

Posted 2 hours ago

Lawyers for CBC have successfully argued for the public to have access to an OPP search warrant of the home of a man now suing both the OPP and Russell Williams.

http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3399748

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/12/11/19109736.html
Statements from other sources and additional damning evidence from Massicotte fuelled police suspicions that Jones was a person of interest.

Police also pushed for the warrant on the basis that Jane Doe, the first of two women attacked, said her predator had working hands and &#8220;smelled like wood.&#8221;

That led police to draw the inference that Jones would have rough working hands and may &#8220;smell like wood,&#8221; since he is a carpenter and works with wood in his shop.

Det. Const. Colin Reinke requested the warrant on the grounds that he believed Jones had committed the sexual assault, according to the document.

Reinke wrote that there was a &#8220;practical, reasonable and non-technical probability&#8221; that several items -- computer files, digital cameras used to photograph the victims and items of female clothing taken from the women -- would be found in Jones' home
"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back