GUILTY Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #7

I also do not wish to sit in judgment of the vicitims or their intentions but it seems to me that IF you don't think the police did their jobs in a professional manner then you should be requesting a public enquiry into thier behaviour and investigative techniques so that there will be recommendations for future investigations.

RW already got the punishment, we the people, can give him for his crimes.

I fail to see how MEH had anything to do with their victimization.

Seeking monetary gain smacks of greed and won't help the victims sleep, take away their flashbacks or heal their emotional scars. I suggest they seek professional council instead of legal council. :truce:

....a lawsuit against the police is a lawsuit against all us taxpayers....who do they think pays the police? The police requiring a lawyer is from the police budget, which again is payed by us taxpayers.

I doubt that the police budget gets automatically increased proportional to the lawsuits brought against them. They probably just have tighten their belts in other areas to pay for missteps. So with more lawsuits there will be less policing. With the number of lawsuits brought against LE in recent years, I wonder if they have malpractice insurance like lawyers do?

OPP officer named in second suit

The Intelligencer - Updated 14 days ago
Detective Const. Ben Beatty was never a member of the Quinte West OPP detachment, but was assigned to a case involving the man who launched a $90 million against Quinte West Police Service Board earlier this year.

Guy Brummell launched civil suit in February against the Attorney General for Ontario and the Quinte West police board and Beatty is one of 36 OPP officers named in the suit.

Friday, he was named in a second.

Andrew 'Benjamin' Beatty was also named in a civil suit filed Friday in Peterborough by Larry and Bonny Jones.

The Joneses, neighbours of convicted killer Russell Williams, are suing the Quinte West OPP board for negligence. According to the statement of claim, Beatty was the subject of a criminal investigation by the OPP's professional standards branch "relating to crimes of dishonesty" at the same time he investigated the crimes committed in Tweed.
Beatty is currently off work on medical leave until the new year and could not be reached for comment.

Earlier this year, Beatty was presented with an Accolade Award by the OPP for his part in Project Hatfield, the Russell Williams Investigation.
At Monday's police services board meeting Quinte West detachment commander, Insp. Earl Johns said Ben Beatty was "not on my detachment roster."

He also denied he had any knowledge of Andrew Beatty when asked by a member of the public gallery if there was any relation between Benjamin and Andrew Beatty.

It turns out Andrew is Beatty's given name and Benjamin is his middle name.
full article at link : http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3385835

I read the remarks suggestsing that one of the officers did not seriously examine the vehicle of Williams because he was a Colonel. That officer was young and new to the job, he made the wrong judgment call when he decided not to flag the Colonel's vehicle. The inexperienced officer immediately passed the information to the more senior officer that was at the same road block, and the decision was made to flag Williams vehicle even though he was the Colonel. The correct decisions were made even though the officer that made the first connection between William's vehicle and the suspect's vehicle was inexperienced. I fail to see how this could be a point of criticism.
Are you referring to RussA.? My understanding is it was the other way around. The "young and inexperienced" as you call him is our hero.

seems to me there are a lot of details we the public don't know: (1788, 1796) http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3211.msg80399#msg80399 <--- interesting!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/11/27/russell-williams-larry-jones.html <--- (BB and RA are included in the suit)

:whiteflag: apologies for three posts in a row​
Williams victim 'welcomes' neighbour's suit

Last Updated: Nov 29, 2011 10:23 PM ET
An Ontario woman who was sexually assaulted by serial killer Russell Williams says she is not surprised she is being sued by a neighbour who faced heavy police questioning before the homicidal military commander was arrested.

In fact, Laurie Massicotte told CBC News, she welcomes anything that would add details to the investigation conducted by Ontario Provincial Police.
"Clearly I love Larry and Bonnie and I understand that they have been horribly wronged in this matter &#8230; [and] do not blame him [Larry] for suing me," Massicotte says in the statement issued to CBC News on Tuesday.
"As a matter of fact, if it gets to the truth in the Williams matter and maybe explains why the OPP have refused to answer any questions, I welcome it."
read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/11/29/massicotte-jones-suit.html

I also do not wish to sit in judgment of the vicitims or their intentions but it seems to me that IF you don't think the police did their jobs in a professional manner then you should be requesting a public enquiry into thier behaviour and investigative techniques so that there will be recommendations for future investigations.

RW already got the punishment, we the people, can give him for his crimes.

I fail to see how MEH had anything to do with their victimization.

Seeking monetary gain smacks of greed and won't help the victims sleep, take away their flashbacks or heal their emotional scars. I suggest they seek professional council instead of legal council. :truce:

I'm with you on this ... a public inquiry will address any concerns that Jones would have about how the investigation proceeded wihen the real murderer pointed fingers at him. If the victims felt that police were not sensitive enough, let them know how to improve in the future. Lawsuits won't bring change but do have the negative result of dragging on the memories. Wives of murderers are not the guilty parties, and they are normally left out of the legal mess ... not so in this case, mostly because there is money in the family.

read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/11/29/massicotte-jones-suit.html

The Jones allege police were unjust when they investigated Mr Jones, yet police were acting on witness statements from a crime victim and a neighbour. They had no choice but to investigate and to be thorough. I think the suit will be lost. If Jones had been guilty and police had ignored witness statements from the victim, then there would be grounds for a lawsuit, but not the other way around. If the Jones were traumatized by the investigation, they should apply for victim's assistance funds.

"Larry and Bonnie Jones allege in their $1.575-million suit that OPP officers were negligent in their investigation, unjustly targeting Larry Jones in connection with a string of area break-ins and two late-night home invasions in Tweed, Ont. "

"Massicotte's statement to police in the fall of 2009 gave OPP investigators the leverage they needed to get a warrant to search the Joneses' home" (link above)

This is funny: "Jones is suing Williams for the emotional and mental distress suffered as the subject of an intense police investigation, while Williams did nothing to alert police that they had the wrong man."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/11/27/russell-williams-larry-jones.html

So Jones expected Williams to step up to the plate and tell police that he was the guilty party? On what planet does that happen?

It's not like he's the first person to ever be investigated while innocent ... I think he needs to get over it.

He mentions that other people were interviewed and fingerprinted and he wants to know why he was treated differently. The answer is simple, the victim identified him as a possible suspect - therefore he was treated differently. The blindfolded victim obviously made a mistake, but police couldn't ignore her statements ... so Jones was treated as a possible suspect. Williams was treated the very same way, or perhaps a little worse. While he was being interviewed at the police station, his property was being searched ... at least Jones was free while the search warrant was served.

Thank-you for this link, Hazel.

There is more context on LM's statments, which better indicates where she is coming from. I was a bit puzzled by the whole thing last week, but, I see what she is gettng at now.

There should be a public inquiry into the whole matter.

I wonder if LE will disclose new charges against RW now, to deflect any negative attention, if they have found evidence of his involvement in other crimes?

I mean, my personal feeling is that they are waiting until they feel they have scoured all the unsolved crimes in places he has been, but, maybe now they will release some of the details. I don't know.

I really don't understand all the lawsuits. There was a very dangerous man on the streets, someone that no one would suspect. Police very quickly gathered important evidence, connected the related cases, set up road blocks to zero in on possible suspects, caught the right guy, arrested him and he's in jail ... done. Clifford Olsen and Paul Bernardo are other examples of very dangerous men that stalked victims for much longer ... no one sued police for any reason regarding their crimes. Everyone was simply extremely relieved that the murders would stop.

If the police have milions of dollars less in their budgets, who does that help? I can understand that some people are upset with the bedside manner of police, but the investigator's job is to solve the crime ... other organizations are set up to help victims (and others) that are caught up in the process of solving the crime. If there needs to be an inquiry about whether the police were polite and fair, great, but suing for millions? I don't see how that helps anyone.

The victims families could have sued the police since PB's DNA was sitting around untested while he went back to terrorizing, raping and killing girls. I would not have argued that they did not have the right to sue in that case.

Are you referring to RussA.? My understanding is it was the other way around. The "young and inexperienced" as you call him is our hero.

seems to me there are a lot of details we the public don't know: (1788, 1796) http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php?topic=3211.msg80399#msg80399 <--- interesting!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/11/27/russell-williams-larry-jones.html <--- (BB and RA are included in the suit)

This is also written in detail in the new book. Anyone following this case would be interested in it, as it has many finer details about the case. At the road block, 2 officers approached RW's pathfinder, one to inspect tires, the other to question him about his travel route the previous week. The officer that spoke to him was the one that said it was the Colonel who lives in Tweed and travels by JL's house daily. The other officer matched the tires, and called in to have him watched immediately. It was at this point everything fell into place.

This is also written in detail in the new book. Anyone following this case would be interested in it, as it has many finer details about the case. At the road block, 2 officers approached RW's pathfinder, one to inspect tires, the other to question him about his travel route the previous week. The officer that spoke to him was the one that said it was the Colonel who lives in Tweed and travels by JL's house daily. The other officer matched the tires, and called in to have him watched immediately. It was at this point everything fell into place.

The book certainly has a lot more detail than I was expecting, but it appears to me that much of it is taken directly from transcripts. I'm not too far along yet, but it's quite an eyeopener about William's personality.

He certainly escalated quickly, and I have to wonder whether he planned his first murder or whether it was a result of her struggles with him and the possibility that she recognized him - either his voice, his stature, or whether she saw him. When I read that after he briefly left the room, she got up, closed her bedroom door and then went to the bedroom bathroom where she tried to lock the door, I wondered how she could do that while blindfolded.

The book certainly has a lot more detail than I was expecting, but it appears to me that much of it is taken directly from transcripts. I'm not too far along yet, but it's quite an eyeopener about William's personality.

He certainly escalated quickly, and I have to wonder whether he planned his first murder or whether it was a result of her struggles with him and the possibility that she recognized him - either his voice, his stature, or whether she saw him. When I read that after he briefly left the room, she got up, closed her bedroom door and then went to the bedroom bathroom where she tried to lock the door, I wondered how she could do that while blindfolded.

and TOO MUCH DETAIL in certain parts. I really feel for the families of JL and MFC to have this written about them.

I have to wonder whether he planned his first murder or whether it was a result of her struggles with him and the possibility that she recognized him

I think it was the latter. I doubt he planned to start killing his victims. After that it was "in for a penny, in for a pound". It's just unfortunate that he was a man of means and his crimes covered such a large geographic area that they couldn't all be immediately connected.

I'm looking forward to reading the new book, but I'm into the eBook thing now and have it on hold at the library with 8 people ahead of me. The book is so new that the e-edition costs as much as the paperback.

and TOO MUCH DETAIL in certain parts. I really feel for the families of JL and MFC to have this written about them.

I agree ... that crossed my mind when I was reading last night ... I sure hope the families and friends of victims never pick up the book. I understand that some people are completely desensitized about the true nature of sadistic sociopaths, but most people are not ... the book should come with a warning.

I was thinking about the lawsuits as well ... I don't think they are justified. After victim 1, police thought it might be a domestic situation. After victim 2, police released a statement warning the public. After victim 3, police thought it was domestic (in part based on the victim's statement that one of them had messed with her underwear) so both current and former boyfriends were investigated. After victim 4, police issued a statement warning the public. The bottom line is that police issued warnings to the public as soon as there was more than one victim of the same crime - and I don't think any more can be expected. After one victim, the public can figure it out for themselves, after two victims, the police have the information they need to issue a warning to the public.

As for Jones, it's now my understanding that the accusations against him by victim 2 were known to be false before they were made. It is not the fault of the police that he was investigated. He's suing the wrong people. Jones should be suing victim 2 (which he is) and the person that put her up to accusing Jones.

Thank you all for the recent updates..I am not sure if I could sleep with this book on my night table....

Thank you all for the recent updates..I am not sure if I could sleep with this book on my night table....

I made the mistake of taking it along as light reading while my son was participating in sports ... not a good idea. It's the sort of book that should be thrown in the trash to protect others from reading it.

I bought the book because I would truly like to understand the dichotomy between the mind that rose to such heights in the military and the mind that coldly; without empathy, degrades and dehumanizes women. The book seems to sensationalize rather than analyze ... at least I haven't gotten to any part of the book that analyzes this type of sociopathic mind.

One point that struck me is that Williams covered his victim's eyes and often their mouths as well. The eyes and the mouth are how we communicate, yet that is what Williams eliminated in his victims. He then victimized them for hours - one of them for 22 hours.

Victim 4 is such a tragedy. She was compliant from the moment she realized that he was in her bedroom. The police officer had seen the SUV parked on her property less than an hour before victim 4 returned home, went to the house to check on the victim and made a huge error in not taking down the SUV license plate number. If the license plate had been recorded, victim 4 would be alive today. It was 9 AM the following morning that the alarm was raised and noon when police were contacted. Victim 4 was alive until about 9 PM that day. If they'd had the license plate number, they could easily have found Williams at his home in Tweed assaulting the victim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back