GUILTY Canada - Taylor Van Diest, 18, beaten to death, Armstrong, BC, 31 Oct 2011

Cops desperately try to retrace steps of slain B.C. teen
Friday, November 04, 2011 01:48 PM EDT
The photo of Van Diest in her costume was taken at her home sometime before she left at about 5:50 p.m. and was provided by her family, RCMP spokesman Gord Molendyk said.

"We are hoping to jog the memory of people that evening who may have seen her," Molendyk said.

"We're trying to determine where she went from.

Maybe somebody saw her walking with somebody, maybe somebody saw somebody walking behind her."
Van Diest was going to a Halloween party. Police know she walked north from her house to the railroad tracks where she was attacked --

a walk that would have taken about 10 minutes, Molendyk said.

Police aren't sure what happened between 5:50 p.m., when she left for the party, and 7:30 p.m., when her family reported her missing.
The cause of death hasn't been determined. The autopsy took place Thursday, police said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
full article: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/04/cops-desperately-try-to-retrace-steps-of-slain-bc-teen

1297210119885_ORIGINAL.jpg

Another image of Taylor.

What a beautiful young woman. She never had a chance to live life...to express herself as an adult.

My thoughts remain with her family.

(P.S. - damn....I used to play flute when I was Taylor's age. It just doesn't seem right that I'm still here and she isn't!!)

Any word of sexual assault in this case? Have the autopsy results come in?

Sorry, I just saw your post r.e. autopsy.

RIP Taylor.

I hope this isn't another Kimberly Proctor type of thing involving teens who tricked her to get her alone. Why was she walking along near train tracks anyway? Did she walk this route normally?

Her family called police on Monday evening, after receiving a call from someone who said they had found her cellphone.

Huh?? Someone called her parents from her phone to say they found her phone?

Read more: http://new.canada.com/Slain+teenage...d+fake+blood/5654404/story.html#ixzz1cmRdStXa
It's in the articles above matou.

The first signs that something was wrong was when she didn't show up at the Halloween party at 7:30 pm, and her boyfriend got a text message from her saying : "I'm being creeped"

Family and friends went out to look for her. Taylor's twin sister got a phone call from some unrelated teens who have found Taylor's cellphone, and told where it was found.
Immediately, she contacted the group of family and friends who were out looking for Taylor, and they went to look in the area where the cellphone was found....Taylor's body was found by her boyfriend around that area where the cellphone was found :(

Re: the text message, they said it contained a spelling mistake, which was uncharacteristic of her. The spelling mistake has not been explained.
(I wish it had been a phone call to 911 instead -- IMO, with text messages it's difficult to know exactly who typed it, JMHO)

you can read about that here: http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/teen-dies-after-being-found-unconscious-in-bush/article2221215/?service=mobile

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/bc-teen-dies-after-being-found-unconscious-in-bush/article2221215/

For the timeline:

Police say Van Diest left her Armstrong home at 5:50 p.m. and walked north on Pleasant Valley Road for 10 minutes.

Her last contact with her family or friends was at 6 p.m. via a text message.

The next contact Van Diest's family had with her was at 7:30 p.m. when an individual from the community found her phone on the railway tracks.

A search for the teen began shortly afterward; Van Diest was found severely injured at 8:45 p.m. by a search crew consisting of her family, friends and RCMP officers.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Cause+death+will+released+Armstrong+teen+homicide/5660325/story.html#ixzz1cn7G3lmu

Only a few people know the details. Next presser is Monday at 1 pm.

"Right now, the only people who know the full details of this death are the pathologist, a few investigators and the person or persons responsible for this crime," says Molendyk.

"As all of you (media) are aware, the Criminal Justice System holds into account all aspects of a police investigation. That includes media coverage of a major event like this homicide

The next scheduled media briefing is 1 p.m. Monday, however, Molendyk says a briefing will be scheduled if there is a major break in the case between now and then.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-66922--.htm

Memorial Sunday

A memorial is planned this Sunday. Organizers hope police identify a suspect soon because they don't want the community defined by fear or speculation.

“In the news, there has been stuff about youth and bullying and gangs,” said Patti Noonan. “Now it's in the schools and they are wondering, is it someone among us, is it someone we know?”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/11/04/bc-slain-teen-autopsy.html

did I read that the town has like 3500 or so people in it? I thought I did but can't find which link it was at now ...

Vernon/North Okanagan RCMP spokesman Gordon Molendyk said in a release police couldn’t release the results because “right now the only people who know the full details of this death are the pathologist (coroner), a few investigators and the person or persons responsible for this crime. The results of the autopsy are considered ‘holdback’ evidence in the interests of preserving the integrity of this investigation.”

snip

Police have interviewed or will interview anyone close to Van Diest, including her boyfriends, friends and family members, he said.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/RCM...opsy+results/5661372/story.html#ixzz1cptsy9hk

Investigators clarified the timeline in the release, saying Van Diest, dressed as a “zombie,” with a white face, black eyes and fake blood on her head and chest, left her home at 5:50, walked north on Pleasant Valley Road for about 10 minutes, to the railway tracks.

She sent her last message – that she said she was being “creeped” – at 6 p.m.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/RCM...opsy+results/5661372/story.html#ixzz1cpuTrcbM

OK so if her friends feel that there is a misspelling in her last text, it only took 10 minutes to grab her phone from her and text out that she was being creeped. So she could have been taken right away on her way to the railroad tracks.

My personal feeling is that some young people did this to her, and she was lured by someone or some people, either at a bush party before going out 'trick or treating' (18 is a bit old to go out, but you never know). I guess I'm jaded because of Kimberley Proctor, who was killed by some teens who wanted to know what it was like to rape, torture and kill someone they knew, an easy target. Another similarity is WoW (World of Warcraft), it`s in the games she likes in FB. She played some kind of weird game because I saw the screenshots in her fb. She was obsessing over a headband with cat ears on them, like Kim wore in several photos of her. Emo-style stuff. I know it`s so popular with youth culture but so is violence. This is all JMOO. I hope the police close this case soon.
Those youth who found her phone are in the minority to call to report it missing (to her twin sister). Most youth would keep it IMO. Maybe they know what happened, did not participate in what happened, but needed to help in their own way, without `snitching`which is so taboo and was a big part in the KP case as well.

The next contact Van Diest's family had with her was at 7:30 p.m. when an individual from the community found her phone on the railway tracks.

How can this be the "next contact" with her? She obviously couldn`t speak on the phone. Why is this being reported this way? The last "assumed" contact from her would be the text message which may or may not be from her.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ca...een+homicide/5660325/story.html#ixzz1cqG0dAiC

The timeline, as far as I can tell, is still vague ... but this seems to be what we know so far

TaylorDienst.jpg

i live rural BC. Halloween is our biggest community, (and party) nite. Theres a bonfire, fireworks, and a majority of people dress for the event. Go to any store in our town on Halloween the staff will be dressed up. It's, i suppose, the only evening when there will be alot of people wandering the streets. Our stores close at 5:30, so usually theres very little traffic, very few people, theres no where to go and nothing to do. So Halloween is the only nite this changes. But since a majority are fancy dressed you can't tell who they are.

I spent most of my life inner city, i needed to get out or die. You would be amazed how many (now) ex-junkies and people trying to escape this or that situation, populate these small towns. It worked for me but thats not always the way. Theres plenty of hard drugs here. And because partying is in the bush or in a house down a back road it's more difficult, i would think, for the cops to know, who's who.

I know the emotion of unfair death such as Taylors, and there are no words I know to ease this. I hope for quick resolution, that the family and friends have a focus for anger.
I know people who have been to Armstrong, haved lived there, its a safe little town, kinda place you don't lock your doors, great place to raise a child.

Personaly it seems random, wrong place-wrong time. As said it seems to of happened within ten minutes. Is there any party places along the tracks? Any transient hangouts?
Anyways the only reason for this post was so you would understand what Halloween is like in a small town.

Thanks for pics Otto. We have one place in our small town called the jungle, you know, place where transients or hard luck people hang. Armstrong seems to have a few tree'd areas that look hard luck friendly. I kinda know most of the jungle peoples, my 19yr son would not., but i have lived here 20 years, i know hard luck i will never judge, but i truly have eyes in the back of my head. The kids and young adults here are used to being safe. Some things you have to experiance, kids here are beautiful- not hard, which is usually a good thing. But that said, usually they travel not alone, or i'd or someone else would give them a ride, its dark(street lites are not everywhere) - we have bears - they are our boogy man.
But halloween is a differnt nite, so many kids, people, cars cruising around, should be the safest nite. And since people are heading to the community event, it is probably the one nite, people will feel ok to walk alone.
The cops, well we get alot of young ones, (i think) we are kinda training place, like most small towns, it wont further their career to stay, so the cops don't really know the people.
Also if i call 911, i get routed to Vancouver, and they have no idea where i am, not a good thing in an emergency, 1/2 an hour, twice this happened, once someone drove and snapped a hydro pole, second was a rolling DV lots of people phoned in, i only live 5 min from the cop shop, and because they don't know the area, the cops get lost, i don't know if Armstrong is the same.
Also peoples from the outer areas will come to town for the festivities. So thou it may seem more simple to deal with this cause its a small town, its not.

according to Google MAP, the RR tracks were Taylor was found unconscious is 8 minutes walk / 1 minute drive from her home : http://g.co/maps/c37wb

A = Taylor's home
B = where she was found

( zoom in/out to explore the area -- no Google street view )

Is that the route Taylor took? If she was heading to the fairground (Park Dr/Adair St) she would'nt be crossing the tracks. Theres a big empty lot (Country West Supply) they close at 5pm then a treed area opposite - so not many residental around.
The liquour stores are at Okanagan St. --So i can see that maybe this maybe a drinking area --just guessing but it looks on the maps to be the first desolate spot. Probably a 10 minute walk from downtown. But i'm thinking random -somebody got too high that nite, but at that age it could be a rejected crush or a grudge.
On the tourism site the population is just over 4000, but there would of been people who are not usually in town there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back