Cause of Death - Charles and Braden Powell **Warning-Graphic Thread**

Respectfully, I don't get why people are posting about their kids being able to lock or unlock doors. Unless they've done it just before or after seeing their father hit their sibling with a hatchet, then I really don't think it has any bearing on this case at all.

Respectfully, we were discussing why we thought JP used a hatchet on his children.

One poster thought it was to save them from the pain of the fire.

I thought it was to prevent them from escaping.

Little children are supposed to be afraid of monsters in their closet, shadows on the wall, or spooky sounds at night. They aren't supposed to have the fear and pain they both went through the last moments of their life. That is what I can't seem to wrap my head around. I have read all about the events that lead up to that horrible day, and have come to the conclusion that they never should have been there in the first place (a no brainer). Lots of fingers are being pointed, the social worker, the 9-11 call, LE. Personally I feel that all of the events could have been prevented if they had just handled the case properly from the beginning.

I just can't seem to grasp what charlie and Braden went through. They say both the boys were chopped in the neck and one in the head. They died of smoke inhalation. I wonder if were they conscious the whole time or if he knocked them out. I play it over and over in my mind. This man definitely was a monster a monster of the worst kind, and if there is a hell, i hope he spends eternity feeling the pain and fear that his children felt the last minutes of their life.

A post upthread said there were pics of Susan all over the walls. I can just imagine him putting them there so he can blow her up too...perhaps he was angry that Charlie had his pic taken next to the big pic of Susan at the Powells and he put all those pics up. He says "I've got a big surprise" and while Charlie is looking at the pics he gets him in the back of the head. :maddening: That just made me ill to type but...

ETA: Actually it was a post that said that NG said that so take that for what it's worth but...

I may have been the questioning the pictures because of what NG had said on her show. I asked because I didn't understand how they could tell because I would think they would have been burned in the fire.

But, I am thinking maybe he hung these pictures (aka "staged the house") when he moved in this past fall in order for the social worker and DCHS see them and think he was a good father.

I thought I had read before that they were not allowed to see pictures of Susan while they were at SP's house and were not allowed to say mommy. The boys were instructed call her by name "Susan".

I'm wondering if he took her pictures down while planning this and these are the pictures they found in the storage unit.

Respectfully, we were discussing why we thought JP used a hatchet on his children.

One poster thought it was to save them from the pain of the fire.

I thought it was to prevent them from escaping.

And I believe it was simply to torture those left behind.
An explosion or smoke inhalation we all could have accepted. Little to no suffering.

If you watch the interviews with the family... it is that hatchet that made this much, much harder to handle.

The evilness of it... he wanted to take those boys away from the Cox's and he wanted the Cox's to suffer.
He wanted them to have nightmares about what those boys went through before they died, to know they suffered.

I don't want to believe that he wanted the boys to suffer... but he made sure they saw it coming... so maybe he did.

I want to make a couple of points that are just my opinion, but none the less, are points of good question:
i feel like that the reason the Visitation Supervisor smelled gasoline, is not because the whole house was laden with it; because if that was the case, the house would've been blown to smithereens thus causing a crime scene a block around, at the very least throwing evidence all over. I think that Josh put gasoline in the front of the house or wherever the main point of entry was in the house: this way no one would be able to come in after him once the fire started because that would've been the first part on fire.
Someone in the thread mentioned something about it being suspicious that the Visitation Super., right after this happened, was not saying much. She was probably advised by her employer and possibly (likely) a lawyer or perhaps judge. Either that or, she is not a person who wants her face in the media. Bad enough her voice is all over the internet on the 911 call. There was a TV interview with her in which she did talk about it, to some extent.
Also the mention of the bodies having to have been in good condition to be able to see the wounds from the hatchet. Not true. A deceased person's body doesn't have to be in necessarily such good condition to figure out the findings. I will not discuss the case further as it is particularly gruesome but if anyone remembers the case of murdered 19 year old Carina Saunders, who was dismembered and whose body was decomposed by the time she was found. Also the case of Paul Walker, the actor from Fast and Furious (which he is best known for); he died after the vehicle he was riding in struck a tree and lamppost and burst into flames. That applies more than the other case here, since he was involved in fire. He died instantly but the ME was able to determine a lot of injuries even though he has been badly burned. Same with his friend who was the driver, he was killed on impact.
This is an extremely sad case. I feel terrible for all of the friends, family, and others who lost these beautiful little boys and their beautiful mother.
I havent really heard anyone talking much about the 911 call but then again i didn't read through every page of the thread. It is very frustrating to hear as well as heartbreaking. There is a video of it on YouTube (audio only).
RIP Susan, Charlie, and Braden.

I'm wondering how he corralled both boys to be able to do what he did. I would think that if the one that was hit second saw his brother being hit, he would run. I just can't wrap my mind around all this.
I wonder if they were drugged up?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back