CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally feel that people in general are more comfortable when they are closer to home, as in putting their guard down. Same holds true about car accidents. You are more likely to have a accident close to home.

Scary statistics! 10-12 years of age with abductions within 1/4 of their home.
:....(

I think it makes sense. Most kids under 16 spend the vast majority of their time outside of school within a quarter mile of home.

It's like the statistic that most vehicle accidents occur within 25 miles of home. It's not that things get more dangerous when you get close to home, it's just that chances are you spend most of your time in your vehicle within 25 miles of home.

Right, they aren't likely to go much farther without an adult present. I live in the city and there are a bazillion kids always walking around. I keep thinking if one of them went missing and the police needed witnesses, it would be so difficult. Unless there was a huge ruckus made, it is usually too busy for most of us to notice things.
:(

I grew up and lived in a major city until my 20s. The reality is that you are very right. We move through the buses and the subways and the crowded streets and just never give anything a second though. Unless a ruckus is made, no one would probably notice anyone they pass.

In the residential neighborhood at this time of day, I can imagine people going about their daily business, rushing to get kids out the door for school, getting rushed to get to work and not be late that not very many people were as aware of their surroundings had they might have been later in the morning. When your surroundings are less busy, you notice things since you are not preoccupied.

ETA: With the weather conditions, raining, wet snow etc I can see parents dropping kids off at the entrance to the park as they were going to work. Maybe more parents than usual as their children may walk from home and they take a different route to work. I wonder if that street had more traffic than normal that morning.

Just my :twocents:

Kelly

I personally feel that people in general are more comfortable when they are closer to home, as in putting their guard down. Same holds true about car accidents. You are more likely to have a accident close to home.

But again, wherever you might travel, you eventually come home, so the great majority of your driving ends up being close to home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think it comes down to personal belief, then. Until last year, I might have agreed with you.

I posted before that when my mother died last year, I was at her bedside holding her hand. I know that at the instant of her death I felt her spirit soar free of her body. I felt a great uplift of joy and I know it was her spirit rejoicing in her new freedom.

I know my mother's spirit is no longer in her body, no longer bound by her age and illness (we learned she had incurable cancer 9 days before she died). Equally, I know her spirit still exists.

I read an interesting article recently:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html

I'm honestly not trying to change anyone's beliefs, just trying to explain what is behind my point of view and what might be behind that pastor's point of view.

As I understand Christianity, Christians also believe that the spirit survives death. I assume that the pastor was Christian from the name of his church, so I'm making the leap that he was speaking from the point of view of someone who believes the spirit does not die with the body.

Thanks,,I will order his book through my library.

The dismemberment part reminds me of Adam Walsh. At least in his case something positive came out of the darkness, with his father helping millions of people like he has. I pray some light gets shone into the dark place this little girl's parents are in

I found the comment by the Minister a bit crass but I do understand where he was likely coming from in the Spiritual sense. I also had another thought concerning his comment. If the killer saw/heard it I'll bet he didn't like it.

Tha but it is shocking to me that some have fallen back into their normal routines of walking to the bus stops alone.

Indeed! I'm seeing it to! Just saw my neighbor's son walking back from the bus stop alone, age 10! Made me really really mad, considering we are 6 miles from where Jessica was last seen. I made sure to watch that he got in safely.

I have every intention of bringing this up to the mother tomorrow morning, whether its my business or not.

Just a random thought in the education of children (and adults) regarding abduction. It was years ago on a talk show an expert was discussing what to teach your children. My point being he really emphasized that Children need to know even if a knife is in their back or a gun pointed they need to run and make noise. Odds are the perp is going to take off. He really hammered home that once a perp gets you to a secondary location your chances of survival are slim to none. Not to let the fear of being shot or stabbed be your biggest fear. I dont hear that often today then again perhaps i miss it. I dont have a link as it was so long ago I dont even remember the mans name. I just thought it was an excellent point to instill aside from the usual.

Indeed! I'm seeing it to! Just saw my neighbor's son walking back from the bus stop alone, age 10! Made me really really mad, considering we are 6 miles from where Jessica was last seen. I made sure to watch that he got in safely.

I have every intention of bringing this up to the mother tomorrow morning, whether its my business or not.

Good for you. I get that Parents work. Schedules etc. dont coincide. However Parents could ban together and take turns with groups of Children. Perhaps many Parents are worried they would be sending their child with the killer. I just cant imagine sending a child to walk alone. They need to be walking in groups with Supervision. If the killer is local he isn't going to lure from a group.

New Thread: this one will close in a few minutes:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8465545#post8465545"]Found Deceased CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #12 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Just a random thought in the education of children (and adults) regarding abduction. It was years ago on a talk show an expert was discussing what to teach your children. My point being he really emphasized that Children need to know even if a knife is in their back or a gun pointed they need to run and make noise. Odds are the perp is going to take off. He really hammered home that once a perp gets you to a secondary location your chances of survival are slim to none. Not to let the fear of being shot or stabbed be your biggest fear. I dont hear that often today then again perhaps i miss it. I dont have a link as it was so long ago I dont even remember the mans name. I just thought it was an excellent point to instill aside from the usual.

Ita. Totally correct advice for kids and adults.

That reminds me, not too long ago Dateline NBC was doing a series on their sunday show where they filmed kids. One was younger kids being approached by strangers (all staged and perfectly safe) and the parents were able to see how they reacted. I watched some of it, was very interesting as you can imagine.

http://insidedateline.nbcnews.com/_...-kid-would-never-do-that-stranger-danger?lite

I found the comment by the Minister a bit crass but I do understand where he was likely coming from in the Spiritual sense. I also had another thought concerning his comment. If the killer saw/heard it I'll bet he didn't like it.

I was thinking that, too, and wondered if, in addition to having meaning for the family, that comment might have been addressed to him.

Good for you. I get that Parents work. Schedules etc. dont coincide. However Parents could ban together and take turns with groups of Children. Perhaps many Parents are worried they would be sending their child with the killer. I just cant imagine sending a child to walk alone. They need to be walking in groups with Supervision. If the killer is local he isn't going to lure from a group.

Unlike the Wyoming abductor who, thankfully, was stupid enough to lure from a group of girls, so that the others were able to give a description of what happened, the man, and his vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500