CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the camera operator is probably being told by LE who to focus on. I bet they are using facial recognition technology that is off the chain! I hope they are. I don't think it would work on my face right now.... It's all red from crying.

I tend to doubt that since that would put the TV station in the position of being an arm of LE. TV stations work hard not to be put into that position. For instance, TV stations usually destroy any raw footage that they use after they air the show because they don't want to be put into the position of having to produce it via subpoena.

I may be behind the times on facial recognition technology but the last time I checked, it worked by focusing on facial features that are not easy to change. For instance, the length of the nose, the places where the nose joins the face, the distance between the inner corners of the eye, the ears, the distance between the eyes and the nose and the ears, etc.

Simply having a red or flushed face isn't enough to baffle facial recognition technology.

<modsnip>.

Can anyone give cases where a stranger abducted a girl, killed her brutally and didn't sexually assault the female child?

I maintain and we'll have to agree to disagree that "predator" indicates police think Jessica wasn't just killed in a gruesome horrible manner.

Still catching up so hope I'm not jumping into a volatile argument (I'll delete this if so), but off the top of my head no, I can't. I haven't followed very many missing kids' (or adults' for that matter) cases though. Admittedly I might be too focused on the specific language and not as much on the common usage among LE, but to me "predator" is "someone/something that intends to kill someone/something." Not all that concerned with any sort of sexual assault beforehand. The assault part seems separate to me, but I know that might just be me.

The chances that there is a sexual element to this are very, very high.

This does not necessarily mean she was raped or sexually abused before death, however.

I think it's something we should just assume was part of the motive if not all of it, and leave it at that.

:cow:

I completely respect your opinion and agree with you on the statistics. I guess what I'm having a hard time with is just assuming it was part of the motive without thinking about alternatives.

Ted Bundy decapitated his victims but it wasn't to hide their identities. He would keep the heads to fulfil his necrophiliac desires.

He also used remote or isolated areas as dump sites but that was purely pragmatic. Those were areas where he was least likely to be seen as he disposed of the remains and he was smart enough to know that if he was seen in close proximity with a body site, he could be caught.

Edmund Kemper III also decapitated his victims. In his case, it seems to have been part of his personal problems with his mother. He buried several victims' heads in his backyard in a semi-circle aimed towards his mother's bedroom window. When he killed his mother, he dissected her to remove her larynx and tried to put it down the garbage disposall (which didn't work; he himself acknowledes the irony of that).

Jeffrey Dahmer cannibalised parts of his victims.

There have been other examples but those are the three that come immediately to mind.

Are you sure it was Bundy who decapitated? I don't remember ever hearing that... I thought that was Dalhmer? Respectfully of course.

Sexual abuse isn't anything any one of us want to discuss, including me so I just post the latest from DOJ. I'm so disappointed in the male society for harming our kids, some females are included big time, quit harming our kids! Sick sadistic bastaars (oops a spellin' mistake) but so much more selfish hateful & uncaring. I don't want to know them. jmo

i have to agree with deann re: "child predator"... seems a bing search does too. for example:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_predator[/ame]
http://www.parenting-child-development.com/child-predator.html
http://childprotection.lifetips.com/cat/63584/child-predators/index.html
http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/48/
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_predator"]Sexual predator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
http://www.wbay.com/story/19835543/2012/10/16/manpower-and-resources-make-internet-predator-sting-a-success
http://www.stopchildpredators.org/
http://www.ice.gov/predator/

language used on these sites includes "sexual predator" and pedophile fwiw

How can a pastor say Jess Won when she was brutally murdered? Imoo that was an awful comment .

He really said that? Wow. Nobody who's been murdered has won! What a ridiculous and distasteful comment.

How can a pastor say Jess Won when she was brutally murdered? Imoo that was an awful comment .

I see where his intentions were with this comment - maybe something will come from this tragedy - new laws, more protection for children, but no, I don't think she won anything. And until this filth is taken out of circulation, nothing good is coming of this. I hope this case doesn't run dry, that will be the biggest tragedy.

I see where his intentions were with this comment - maybe something will come from this tragedy - new laws, more protection for children, but no, I don't think she won anything. And until this filth is taken out of circulation, nothing good is coming of this. I hope this case doesn't run dry, that will be the biggest tragedy.

If that's what he meant, he IMO could have worded it differently. Kwim?
I agree with you about the case running dry....I hope not!

BBM
I have seen this mentioned a few times, and I think it was brought up because there was speculation that her clothes were found in her backpack, and secondary speculation that she might have changed her own clothes as opposed to the perp removing or changing them. FWIW, I have 2 preteen girls, two teen nieces, and volunteer at my daughters school, so I have been around this age of girls for 5 years or so, and I have seen this 'sneaking clothes my parents don't allow' behavior, but almost always towards the 14, 15 year old range, where they can borrow it from friends or buy it at the mall on their own. A fifth grader with no older siblings would be unlikely to have access to obtain their own clothes, and most fifth graders aren't drawn to the type of scandalous clothes that parents don't allow, anyways. When I hear that a 5th grader "wants to dress like a teen", my experience leads me to assume that means Abercrombie jeans, hollister hoodies, etc..not booty shorts or halter tops or anything that a parent wouldn't allow. Give them a few more years for that kind of foolishness

I just wanted to jump of this a little bit since I have been the mom to 5 teen girls. I agree, I saw this more at the last part of 13 going into 14. No booty shorts or overly revealing tops were just not allowed in the house because 'borrowing' and changing at school happened more than once. Then they borrowed from friends and changed at school. Just the way it is. It doesn't always have to be about booty shorts either, plenty of times the girls would be picking out outfits and call a friend and ask them to bring a certain sweater to school etc. and plenty called them for a certain top or hoodie.

In the end, if this was even a remote possibility, someone else knew about it and it would have been investigated. This kind of behavior always involves more than one person. JR had no older siblings, so if she was 'borrowing' clothes to change into, it involved a friend. It is for certain imho, that this 'changing' clothes scenario is not only pure speculation but probably not true. Teen girls do very little testing of the boundaries without a co conspirator.

Kelly

Are you sure it was Bundy who decapitated? I don't remember ever hearing that...

yes, he did. a quick google verifies:

After endless appeals Bundy's last stay of execution was on January 17, 1989. Prior to being put to death Bundy gave the details of more than fifty women he had murdered to Washington State Attorney General's chief investigator, Dr. Bob Keppel. He also confessed to keeping the heads of some of his victims at his home plus to engaging in necrophilia with some of his victims. In his final interview he blamed his exposure to *advertiser censored* at an impressionable age as being the stimulant behind his murderous obsessions.

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/p/tedbundy2.htm

Are you sure it was Bundy who decapitated? I don't remember ever hearing that... I thought that was Dalhmer? Respectfully of course.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure.

From Wikipedia:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy"]Ted Bundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

He decapitated at least 12 victims and kept some of the severed heads in his apartment for a period of time as mementos.

From reading umpteen bazillion books and articles about Bundy, I learned that he kept the heads for necrophiliac purposes.

Meh, I'm going to assume that no pastor would do a service without knowing the family beforehand (if possible).

I think that he either knew the family (including Jessica) already or he met with them to discuss what they wanted for the memorial service. Either way, he got to know them better than we do.

I think when he said that, it had some special meaning to the family. Maybe it was in reference to her love of cheerleading, maybe it was in reference to the fact that no matter what happened to her body her beautiful spirit could not be marred by it, or something like that.

I'm not going to assume he was being insensitive when he said it. I think it had special meaning for the family and he knew that.

The Ted Bundy type of SK is very scary. Age has no boundaries. Ted Bundy attacked the sorority girls in FLA and within a short time frame abducted and murdered a 12 yo girl.

I would guess, if this was the case, while they don't know who the particular DNA belongs to, the DNA itself would have been entered and matched as similar to another case. Its one of the things I thought about when there were so many FBI and LE almost immediately after the backpack was found. I think I saw another poster quote 35 different LE agencies involved in this search. I never found a link to that to confirm, but if that is true it comes across to me as this is somehow way bigger than we can know right now.

Kelly

ETA: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...dead-colorado-kidnapping-ends-in-tragedy.html

Quote from article: "The police response was intense. Thirty-five law enforcement agencies participated in the massive search."

Meh, I'm going to assume that no pastor would do a service without knowing the family beforehand (if possible).

I think that he either knew the family (including Jessica) already or he met with them to discuss what they wanted for the memorial service. Either way, he got to know them better than we do.

I think when he said that, it had some special meaning to the family. Maybe it was in reference to her love of cheerleading, maybe it was in reference to the fact that no matter what happened to her body her beautiful spirit could not be marred by it, or something like that.

I'm not going to assume he was being insensitive when he said it. I think it had special meaning for the family and he knew that.

Well as I see it no one WON! Especially Little Jessica!
Everyone lost !
The only winner here so far is the perv that did this!
Bad choice of words!

I'm not sure if the following has been previously posted??..the data is very interesting!

BBM

Investigators also have statistical data based on past crimes of this type that could provide a general profile of who may have committed the crime, Lanning and FBI profiler Clinton Van Zandt said.

Neither Lanning nor Van Zandt would provide an opinion on the Colorado case, saying each case is unique.

However, a 2006 report funded by the U.S. Department of Justice and compiled by Washington state Attorney General Rob McKenna determined the majority of suspects in such cases are single and between 18 and 30 years old.

The study looked at more than 800 cases from 1968 to 2002, the latest figures available. It found nearly half the suspects were unemployed, and those who did have jobs worked in unskilled or semi-skilled labor occupations.

The report also said 21 percent of victims were 10 to 12 years old and initially encountered their abductor within a quarter-mile of their home. Jessica was 10 and last seen within two blocks of her house.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/memorial-146047-ridgeway-arvada.html#ixzz29Y9mF71x

yes, he did. a quick google verifies:

After endless appeals Bundy's last stay of execution was on January 17, 1989. Prior to being put to death Bundy gave the details of more than fifty women he had murdered to Washington State Attorney General's chief investigator, Dr. Bob Keppel. He also confessed to keeping the heads of some of his victims at his home plus to engaging in necrophilia with some of his victims. In his final interview he blamed his exposure to *advertiser censored* at an impressionable age as being the stimulant behind his murderous obsessions.

http://crime.about.com/od/serial/p/tedbundy2.htm

Thank you. Guess I repressed that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde