CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION* #2

Ashley Franco on Twitter
#BREAKING: #KrystalLee is being considered for placement in a halfway house. She was sent to prison after her role in the #KelseyBerreth case.@KKTV11News
10:48 AM · Mar 27, 2020

Ashley Franco on Twitter
The @4thJudicialDA says they "vigorously oppose moving this defendant to any community-based alternative." "This defendant was sentenced to serve three years in prison for her participation in a horrible, depraved crime – 1,095 days. To date she has served barely sixty."
10:50 AM · Mar 27, 2020

Ashley Franco on Twitter
Just spoke to District Attorney Dan May about the possibility of #KrystalLee being moved. He tells me "this is a slap in the face." He and his team are outraged by the decision. May says it's absolutely ridiculous. #KelseyBerreth
12:06 PM · Mar 27, 2020

Ashley Franco on Twitter
A community corrections board will decide. What happens is her case manager will send her packet to several different community correction boards and see which board will accept her, if any.
6:27 PM · Mar 27, 2020

MAR 27, 2020
Prosecutors oppose Krystal Kenney's request to move to halfway house
[...]

The DA's Office describes the consideration of having Kenney serve just two months of her sentence in the Department of Corrections as "outrageously, dishearteningly distorted" when it comes to Colorado's sentencing.

"When Judge Scott Sells handed down a three year prison sentence he said what she did was 'cold, calculating and cruel' and that if he sentenced her to probation it would minimize the depravity of her actions. We believe that sending her to a halfway house would do just that," a letter penned by District Attorney Dan May and Senior Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Viehman stated.

"That is abhorrent for the crime and her participation in it," the letter says.

[...]

MAR 27, 2020
Woman convicted of helping cover up murder of Kelsey Berreth being considered for halfway house
[...]

The District Attorney's office sent us this statement:
"The 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office has been informed that the above-named offender [Krystal Lee] is being referred, according to Colorado Law, for consideration of placement in a community corrections program (halfway house). "

THIS PROCESS IS SEPARATE FROM, AND IN ADDITION TO, PAROLE AND THE PAROLE BOARD HEARING PROCESS.

Offenders placed in community corrections may progress to the Intensive Supervision Program (ISP) to be monitored electronically and reside outside of the halfway house.

[...]

MAR 27, 2020
Kelsey Berreth murder case: Krystal Kenney eligible for placement in halfway house after serving 60 days
[...]

“Kenney is eligible for the placement under state law because she pleaded guilty to a non-violent offense and is less than 20 months from her release date, as calculated by the Colorado Department of Corrections, Fourth Judicial District Attorney Dan May said. Now, Kenney can apply to a local community corrections program in the state and the board of that local program will decide whether to accept her, he said. “Serving two months out of a three-year sentence for what she did is simply unconscionable,” May said.”

[...]

MAR 27, 2020
UPDATE: Woman who aided cover-up in killing of Kelsey Berreth seeks placement in halfway house
[...]

"We vigorously oppose moving this defendant to any community-based alternative," El Paso County District Attorney Dan May and prosecutor Jennifer Viehman said Friday in a written statement.

[...]

Community corrections centers are supervised but aren’t locked down. Inmates may be eligible to leave to work or get treatment.

"The fact that this defendant is even being considered for 'step-down' placement demonstrates once again that Colorado's sentencing scheme is outrageously, dishearteningly distorted," said May and Viehman, who prosecuted the case with then-prosecutor Beth Reed, who has since left the office.

Lee is currently confined at the Denver Women's Correctional Facility. It's unclear when a decision will be made on her possible transfer.

[...]

MAR 27, 2020
Krystal Kenney requests move to halfway house 2 months after she was sentenced to 3 years
[...]

The district attorney’s office filed an opposition to this move shortly after hearing about it. As of Friday, Kenney has served less than two months behind bars, but was sentenced to three years.

The opposition letter reviewed facts from the case: How Frazee had asked Kenney to kill Berreth multiple times; how Kenney had almost followed through with those plans; how she drove from her home in Idaho to the small town of Woodland Park ...

“Ms. Kenney deserves to spend every day of her three-year sentence in the Department of Corrections, but we are cognizant of the fact she will not serve that entire sentence, day for day, in the Denver Woman’s Correctional Facility,” the district attorney's office's objection letter read. “She should, however, serve more than two months. She should serve her full sentence in DOC until she paroles from DOC. Serving two months out of a three-year sentence for what she did is simply unconsciousable.”

[...]

4th Judicial District Attorney Dan May said the Berreth family will be opposing Kenney’s release and called for changes to Colorado statute regarding sentencing laws to keep such things from happening.

[...]

“Her plan is currently under review by the referral unit, and upon completion she will be eligible for review by the appropriate board/center. ...
[...]

MAR 31, 2020
More than 4,500 sign petition ‘Keep Krystal Lee Kenney in Prison’
[...]

KS created the change.org petition and in 48 hours there were 4,500 signatures.

“Maybe she or her attorney thought, while the whole world has their heads turned (Coronavirus pandemic), let’s do this,” KS said. “She (Kenney) went to ask, they didn’t come to her.”

[...]

“I got a message from her mother today thanking me, it sent chills down my spine and I’m just so happy that we can be a little carbon wheel of justice for Kelsey Berreth and her family,” Shofstall explained.

The Berreth’s also asked Shofstall to send the petition to the Colorado Department of Corrections Victim Services Unit.

[...]

The district attorney’s office sent a letter to the Community Corrections Board opposing the move.

>> Read the letter

[...]

Patrick Frazee Writes CBS4 From Prison: 'I Didn't Do It'

April 6, 2020

CROWLEY COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – The man sentenced to life in prison for a murder case that got national attention is speaking out. In a letter written to CBS4’s Rick Sallinger, Patrick Frazee says he wants a voice.

Frazee says his attorneys told him not to speak to the media. He has been a man of no words. He did not testify at his trial or speak at his sentencing. Now in a letter he is finally having his say.

[..]

It begins “Dear Rick.” He quickly gets to the point.

“Let me start by telling you I did not kill Kelsey!”

[..]

Frazee wrote, “I want my daughter to know the truth. Most of all I want my daughter to know I did not kill her mother!”

[..]

“Dan May (the 4th Judicial District Attorney) and the media took this story from Krystal and ran with it,” Frazee wrote.

He claimed unknown male DNA was found in the sink in Kelsey’s bathroom. The CBI told CBS4 all DNA was identified.

Frazee complained that his attorneys did not even try to present a defense at the trial adding, “Everyone I ever thought I had, has turned on me because of this. I did not do this.”

It appears Frazee may have had assistance writing the letter, but the lead investigator on the case told us the signature does appear to be his.

Frazee is now appealing his life plus 156 year sentence. Lee received only three years.

JUN 3, 2020
Krystal Kenney's request to move to halfway house rejected
A request made by Krystal Kenney to move to a halfway house has been rejected, according to the family of Kelsey Berreth.

[...]

SM, Berreth's uncle, said the family is happy with the decision not to place Kenney in a halfway house, but they are aware she could be referred again in as soon as six months.

[...]

... Kenney is scheduled for a parole hearing in February 2021 with her mandatory release date set for Nov. 4, 2022.

Name: KENNEY, KRYSTAL J
Ethnicity: WHITE
Hair Color: BLONDE
Eye Color: BLUE
Height: 5' 05"
Weight: 190
DOC Number: 187885
Est. Parole
Eligibility Date: 02/01/2021
Next Parole
Hearing Date: Dec 2020

This offender is scheduled on the Parole Board agenda for the month and year above. Please contact the facility case manager for the exact date.
Est. Mandatory
Release Date: 08/01/2022

Est. Sentence
Discharge Date:
Current Facility
Assignment: DENVER WOMENS CORRECTIONAL FACILITY

Date Len Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
9/28/20
3:00 PM 1Hr KENNEY, KRYSTAL Restitution Hearing D602019CR17 Teller County DIV 11 - TELLER DISTRICT COURT

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

NOV 22, 2020
Two-year remembrance for Kelsey Berreth comes days before accomplice in her murder could be let out of prison | Colorado Springs News | gazette.com
Kelsey Berreth was slight in stature but mighty enough to be one of a handful of female instructor pilots who trained Air Force Academy graduates in aircraft navigation.

[...]

She’d be sitting in the cockpit next to a large football player, and there was no doubt who was in charge, he said Sunday, at a remembrance vigil for Berreth.

“I saw them be intimidated by her,” Siebring said. “She was able to teach well but hold her own. She helped them go through their careers.”

[...]

“She showed up every day, professionally ready for the next mission,” Siebring said of Berreth, adding that she often prayed at her desk in preparation for her days in the stressful environment.

[...]

In addition to honoring Berreth's life, organizers also had another goal in mind: keep Frazee’s accomplice in prison.

[...]

Kenney’s chance to be let out of prison and enter a community corrections program is up again, with a hearing set for Wednesday. ...

[...]

Doss Aviation's crew of 80 flight instructors, who exclusively train academy airmen, performed a missing man formation flyover at a private ceremony they held last year for Berreth, whose body was never found.

[...]

An observation tower on the Doss Aviation site is now named after her.

[...]

“Kayleigh embraces all the beauty Kelsey was,” he said.

Video: NEWS | Kelsey Berreth Remembrance Vigil | Colorado Springs News | gazette.com

NOV 23, 2020
(2) Remembering Kelsey Berreth 2 years later (facebook.com) - Video

Her story reached audiences across the nation. Yesterday marked two years since Kelsey Berreth was killed. Her absence continues to leave a hole in the hearts of those closest to her.

We sat down with the team that fought for Kelsey and her family to talk about what they're feeling as the two-year mark passes.

Ashley Franco on Twitter
#BREAKING: #KrystalLee has been DENIED parole. This is the third time she has asked to be released. She will be eligible to go before the Parole Board again this time next year. She admitted to cleaning up to crime scene after #PatrickFrazee killed #KelseyBerreth. @KKTV11News
4:39 PM · Nov 25, 2020

Nov 25, 2020
Krystal Lee Kenney, in prison in connection to case of Kelsey Berreth's murder, denied parole
Krystal Lee Kenney, 34, was denied discretionary parole after a board hearing Wednesday morning, according to a person with knowledge of the decision, and will be eligible to go before the board again this time next year during her annual parole application hearing, the person said.

NOV 27, 2020
CDOC Offender Search (state.co.us)

KENNEY, KRYSTAL J
Name: KENNEY, KRYSTAL J
Ethnicity: WHITE
Hair Color: BLONDE
Eye Color: BLUE
Height: 5' 05"
Weight: 190
DOC Number: 187885
Est. Parole Eligibility Date: 01/07/2021
Next Parole Hearing Date: Nov 2021
This offender is scheduled on the Parole Board agenda for the month and year above. Please contact the facility case manager for the exact date.
Est. Mandatory Release Date: 07/07/2022
Est. Sentence Discharge Date:
Current Facility Assignment: DENVER WOMENS CORRECTIONAL FACILITY

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members