CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2nd incident where a loud noise was heard. I really think some sort of exploding projectile is being used in some of these. They cannot find the projectile but they hear a loud noise.

It is so strange. The other red car was the one where the guy heard what he called an "explosion".

The only thing that makes any sense is if the projectile explodes which would explain no evidence found.

So, jumping off your post, what other options are there, as far as "exploding projectiles", other than bullets, that haven't been mentioned? What all "explodes" on impact? Some sort of mini bomb?

(This thread is turning out to be rather educational.)

A possibility indeed, a different perp(s)...crazy timing, though, but we have seen some craaazy coincidences here on WS!

Her injury looked like a fairly small clean entry and exit wound. Smaller caliber weapon. The LE must have recovered the projectile. I just keep thinking about how incredibly lucky she is to not have been killed; just a matter of an inch or so.

(In the movies, when a car window is shot, isn't there usually a "bullet hole" as opposed to a complete shattering? Again, depends on the caliber, I suppose...I'll leave the ballistics conjecturing to you guys!)

Thanks Foxfire.

I think "Frangible" bullets would break apart into small particles and make it difficult if not impossible to find any fragments of the projectile, so thats a possibility.

When I googled "exploding bullets" + "exploding ammunition", there are also some bullets that really explode on contact. But they are very hard to acquire and some people would hand make a real exploding bullet using dangerous materials.

I ran into an article that tells how to make a home made exploding bullet. It was scary and dangerous and I did not want to link it here for obvious reasons. The instructions basically used a holllow point bullet and filled the hollow portion with chemicals that exploded when it hit something.

That is the only type of thing that I can think of that would explain the 2 people hearing noises inside their car when their windows shatter. Both the red car and that new Truck female both describe the sound as very loud.

So I think the sound is not just the window. It seems something is exploding at the point it hits the window.

Its so bizarre.

I do think something homemade is a strong possibility, jmo.

Yes, margarita25 the Glaser Blue Safety Slug is frangible bullet. The frangible bullets come in virtually every caliber of ammunition made and can be reloaded by individuals. About 4 minutes and 30 seconds into the video, the slug is fired into the gel block and disintegrates into small particles of powder upon impact. The conventional bullet entered and exited the entire jell block while remaining intact.
Glass is a much harder material than the gel, and the frangible bullet would likely disintegrate into powder which would be difficult to detect upon visual inspection, imo. When the glass shatters, it would also leaves a powdery residue along with the glass shards..

I'm going with this for now. :) jmo

(In the movies, when a car window is shot, isn't there usually a "bullet hole" as opposed to a complete shattering? Again, depends in the caliber, I suppose...I'll leave the ballistics conjecturing to you guys!)

Thats a good question. I shoot a bit, but I don't shoot at glass and certainly not at windows. I have a garage window that a kid shot with a bb gun, it just make a little hole. But safety glass on a vehicle side window is very different. I have been wanting to search on-line for infor or video of gunshots to vehicle windows, but havent had time yet.

Brainstorming, crazy idea, but what about some sort of high powered laser? I remember making a post in the Malaysian Airliner thread about a military laser that can be fired from a ship that "disintegrates" its target. Maybe there's a mini-version?

One thing that is important imo / requires further examination is the size of the glass shards, as posted in various photos in thread 1.

(Before I run off and forget, Forager, I had a thought that maybe we should indicate this intersection re: the white Ford SUV as "possible witness" on the map? TIA)

Re: this possible witness...I wonder if this came from surveillance footage, or an actual person's sighting?

Here is the post with the intersection information. Thank you :wave:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ado-Drivers-on-Edge-2&p=11837872#post11837872

I put a little green marker in yesterday for the Ford SUV, with the label: "BOLO for White Ford SUV". The location is almost the same as for the Jacoby shooting itself.

Help, lol...it didnt really work above, embedding the tables...they're so awesome though, I hope everyone can check out the links!! Wow, I think even the FBI Task Force would be impressed. :)

I think it would be really awesome and helpful to have some screenshots of all the updated documents in their entirety so we can view them internally, as well as quote from, etc in this new thread...

Thanks so much. They are awesome!

(Forager, wasn't JJ 10:15 am?)

(Sorry about the above post, trying to fix it, lol)

FBI — JOHN JACOBY

www.fbi.gov › Most Wanted › Seeking Information

May 18, 2015 - DETAILS. On May 18, 2015, at approximately 10:15 a.m., 47-year-old John Jacoby was riding his bicycle (with a small trailer attached) north of ...

Task Force Investigating Possible NoCo Serial Sniper Looking for ...

www.westword.com/.../task-force-investigating-possible-noco-serial-sniper-...

5 hours ago - However, the federal task force looking into the Jacoby and Romero .... at approximately 10:15 a.m., 47-year-old John Jacoby was riding his ...

Bill Connole ID'd in Loveland Homicide, Police Investigating ...

www.westword.com/.../bill-connole-idd-in-loveland-homicide-police-invest...

5 days ago - Update 8:01 a.m. June 4: At about eleven p.m. last night, ... at approximately10: 15 a.m., 47-year-old John Jacoby was riding his bicycle (with a ...

(Forager, wasn't JJ 10:15 am?)

(Sorry about the above post, trying to fix it, lol)

FBI — JOHN JACOBY

[remainder respecfully snipped by Forager for response]

I hadn't realized that we had narrowed the Jacoby shooting time down to 10:15 AM. I'm showing "~ 10:00 AM" on the spreadsheet (with the ~ meaning "about"). The appeal to find the white Ford SUV gave this time frame: "9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. May 18". I'm happy to put 10:15 if that has some support.

Note incident #28 on the incidents spreadsheet, a car sped by on a gravel road...

(In the movies, when a car window is shot, isn't there usually a "bullet hole" as opposed to a complete shattering? Again, depends on the caliber, I suppose...I'll leave the ballistics conjecturing to you guys!)

Here's the way I'm understanding the bullet hole question. When a solid bullet passes thru a normal piece of regular house window glass, it pushes some of the glass out in front of it, powdering it, and some to the sides, pushing out glass shards and leaving a hole and little cracks. (Not sure how that would work with a frangible bullet).

But that is with 'normal' glass. The tempered glass usually used in side and rear windows, however, behaves differently. It manufacturing process locks surface stress energy into the glass. That energy is there, held in by the window's smooth surfaces, just waiting for a little crack to release itself, explosively, and shatter. When a bullet hits it, it powders the glass around the tip of the bullet, and the released stress energy causes much or all of the remaining glass to break into little squared off pieces. No bullet hole. My guess is that a frangible bullet would have the same effect on tempered glass.

A front car window, on the other hand, is made of laminated glass, which is not under high stress. A solid bullet will typically leave a spidery hole in it. I don't know what a frangible bullet would do to it.

Here's an attempt at a compact chronological list of the 2015 "incidents" that we have been tracking, whether or not they have been officially linked. I condensed it from the spreadsheet we've been keeping.

>> Shat. Flash 1/23; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 18 [direction?]; Driver saw a small flash and then something hit his windshield.
>> Shat. 2/22; Time ?; I-25 south; The driver reported a baseball-sized hole in his rear window.
>> Shattered 4/5; Time ?; Hwy 119 [parked]; Two front side windows shattered from a pellet gun shot. Deputies thought the damage may have been from a boyfriend.
>> Shatttered 4/8; Time ?; I-25 south; Belated report of rear window shattered.
>> Shatttered 4/14; Time ?; Hwy 85 south; Driver said her rear passenger window shattered.
>> Slingshot 4/15; Time ?; I-25 north; [On 4/28/15 a driver reported from 2 weeks earlier [so about April 15th]: Saw someone shoot a "wrist rocket" slingshot at a semi-truck.
>> Shattered 4/16; Time ?; Hwy 257 & Poudre Trail Dr.; She (driver) had a hole in the center of her windshield.
>> Shattered 4/18; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 12 [parked]; Owner of vehicle found his passenger window shattered at his home. The window was facing away from County Road 12.
>> Shattered 4/20; Time ?; I-25 frontage [direction?]; The rear glass was broken in a possible two-car traffic accident.
>> Jail Van 4/21; 11:15 AM; I-25 [direction?]; ... a projectile LCSO now says was NOT a bullet (maybe a paintball) shattered the window of a moving Larimer Co. jail van on I-25 near Mead.
>> Shattered 4/22; 9:50 PM; East Eisenhower Blvd.; Driver heard a "pop" and his rear window was shattered., Loveland police said.
>> Romero Shot 4/22; 11:15 PM; I-25 on-ramp; "I was merging onto I 25 when a car pulled up next to me... . ... my window shattered." Police later found "bullet holes" in the car.
>> Shattered 4/23 1/3; 12:10 PM; Weld Co. Rd. 49 south; Driver traveling south on Weld Co. Rd. 49, front driver's-side window shattered. He believes the window had been "shot out," per WCSO.
>> Shattered 4/23 2/3; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 392 south; The back window of the vehicle shattered. Southbound on Co. 392.
>> Shattered 4/23 3/3; Time ?; I-25 [direction?]; Abandoned truck had its back window shattered.
>> Shattered 4/27; Time ?; I-25 south; A Longmont Police Officer in a narcotics pickup truck reported the rear passenger window shattering.
>> Shattered 4/28 1/3; Time ?; I-25 south; An impact circle on the lower right of windshield.
>> Shattered 4/28 2/3; 9:50 AM; I-25 south; Driver side window of white work truck shattered, half half-mile south of the Mountain Vista exit.
>> Shattered 4/28/15 3/3; 9:40 AM; I-25 south; The driver’s side window of a pickup shattered as a man drove south on I-25, per Larimer CSO.
>> Shattered 4/29 1/4; 10:00 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Per Larimer CSO, a woman reported rear passenger truck window shattered on I-25 near Wellington.
>> Shattered 4/29 2/4; 10:00-11:00 AM; I-25 north frontage; Brady Collins told investigators she was driving north on the I-25 frontage road south of Windsor when her passenger window shattered.
>> Shattered 4/29 3/4; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 23 north; The driver reported driver's side window shattered just as another vehicle sped by on a gravel road. He was adamant that he heard a shot.
>> Shattered 4/29 4/4; 10:00-11:00 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Two drivers on I-25 reported windows shattering between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Wed. [4/29/15]. This one near mile marker 257. (The other at 276). Per Larimer CSO.
>> Shattered 4/30/15; Time ?; I-25 south; Driver reporting shattered window near CO Highway 60 and southbound I-25
>> Shattered 5/7; Early afternoon; I-25 north; A window on a Jeep Grand Cherokee headed northbound on I-25 near Crossroads Blvd. shattered.
>> Shattered 5/12; 11:15 AM; I-25 north; Driver on I-25 north ~ 2 miles south of the Windsor exit, when his driver-side window shattered
>> Jacoby shot 5/18; ~ 10:00:00 AM; Weld Co. Rd. 15; John Jacoby, 48, who had been riding his bike, "had been shot twice, and was discovered by a passing driver shortly after 10 a.m. Monday 5/18/15. It's unknown how long he had been lying in the road."
>> Duel on I-76 5/22; 3:00 PM; I-76 Exit [direction?]; On I-76 and the E. Bromley Lane exit ramp. A driver says he saw 2 cars involved and heard a "pop," and then saw shell casings flying out of the car. Officers are looking for a red Hyundai Santa Fe, and a white Chevy Cruze, believed to be the target.
>> Denver Rd Rage 5/25; 4:00 PM; S. Lincoln (?); "... two people were hit by gunfire in a road rage incident while driving close to S. Broadway and Mississippi... just before 4 p.m., [subsequently reported as "about 3:30 PM]. Both had non-life-threatening wounds.
>> Shat. 6/2/15; 8:30 AM; Lincoln Ave.; A driver-side truck window was shattered outside of Odell Brewery.
>> Shattered no date; Time ?; Hwy 34 east; Driver's side window shattered at the same time a semi-truck drove by. No reporting.
>> Conneole shot 6/3/14; 11:52 PM; E. 1st St. and St. Louis Ave.; William (Bill) Connole shot in drive by "about" 11:52 PM Wed. (6/3/15) night.
>> Shattered 6/6/15; 10:45 AM; I 25 south; "Window on [driver's] side of [this red] car shattered" with a "loud bang". LE attributes to road debris, but not definitively.

Imo, this wishy washy explanation/conclusion by LE of the cause of the window shattering on 06/06/2015 from Foragers' post above speaks volumes;

<respectfully snipped from Foragers' Chronological listing above #57>
>> Shattered 6/6/15; 10:45 AM; I 25 south; "Window on [driver's] side of [this red] car shattered" with a "loud bang". LE attributes to road debris, but not definitively.

I am just having a hard time understanding what sort of "road debris" would/could come sideways at a car with enough force to shatter a window? The chances of random flying debris hitting a side window are very remote. So if there is enough road debris flying around out there on this stretch of road(s) that it has broken this many windows, then just think about how much debris is flying around that ISN"T hitting windows. Our vehicles should be getting pummeled with debris, bikers, road workers, etc should be getting mowed down left and right, road signs, businesses would have dings from this debris. No...... this is targeted.

Here's an attempt at a compact chronological list of the 2015 "incidents" that we have been tracking, whether or not they have been officially linked. I condensed it from the spreadsheet we've been keeping.

>> Shat. Flash 1/23; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 18 [direction?]; Driver saw a small flash and then something hit his windshield.
>> Shat. 2/22; Time ?; I-25 south; The driver reported a baseball-sized hole in his rear window.
>> Shattered 4/5; Time ?; Hwy 119 [parked]; Two front side windows shattered from a pellet gun shot. Deputies thought the damage may have been from a boyfriend.
>> Shatttered 4/8; Time ?; I-25 south; Belated report of rear window shattered.
>> Shatttered 4/14; Time ?; Hwy 85 south; Driver said her rear passenger window shattered.
>> Slingshot 4/15; Time ?; I-25 north; [On 4/28/15 a driver reported from 2 weeks earlier [so about April 15th]: Saw someone shoot a "wrist rocket" slingshot at a semi-truck.
>> Shattered 4/16; Time ?; Hwy 257 & Poudre Trail Dr.; She (driver) had a hole in the center of her windshield.
>> Shattered 4/18; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 12 [parked]; Owner of vehicle found his passenger window shattered at his home. The window was facing away from County Road 12.
>> Shattered 4/20; Time ?; I-25 frontage [direction?]; The rear glass was broken in a possible two-car traffic accident.
>> Jail Van 4/21; 11:15 AM; I-25 [direction?]; ... a projectile LCSO now says was NOT a bullet (maybe a paintball) shattered the window of a moving Larimer Co. jail van on I-25 near Mead.
>> Shattered 4/22; 9:50 PM; East Eisenhower Blvd.; Driver heard a "pop" and his rear window was shattered., Loveland police said.
>> Romero Shot 4/22; 11:15 PM; I-25 on-ramp; "I was merging onto I 25 when a car pulled up next to me... . ... my window shattered." Police later found "bullet holes" in the car.
>> Shattered 4/23 1/3; 12:10 PM; Weld Co. Rd. 49 south; Driver traveling south on Weld Co. Rd. 49, front driver's-side window shattered. He believes the window had been "shot out," per WCSO.
>> Shattered 4/23 2/3; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 392 south; The back window of the vehicle shattered. Southbound on Co. 392.
>> Shattered 4/23 3/3; Time ?; I-25 [direction?]; Abandoned truck had its back window shattered.
>> Shattered 4/27; Time ?; I-25 south; A Longmont Police Officer in a narcotics pickup truck reported the rear passenger window shattering.
>> Shattered 4/28 1/3; Time ?; I-25 south; An impact circle on the lower right of windshield.
>> Shattered 4/28 2/3; 9:50 AM; I-25 south; Driver side window of white work truck shattered, half half-mile south of the Mountain Vista exit.
>> Shattered 4/28/15 3/3; 9:40 AM; I-25 south; The driver&#8217;s side window of a pickup shattered as a man drove south on I-25, per Larimer CSO.
>> Shattered 4/29 1/4; 10:00 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Per Larimer CSO, a woman reported rear passenger truck window shattered on I-25 near Wellington.
>> Shattered 4/29 2/4; 10:00-11:00 AM; I-25 north frontage; Brady Collins told investigators she was driving north on the I-25 frontage road south of Windsor when her passenger window shattered.
>> Shattered 4/29 3/4; Time ?; Weld Co. Rd. 23 north; The driver reported driver's side window shattered just as another vehicle sped by on a gravel road. He was adamant that he heard a shot.
>> Shattered 4/29 4/4; 10:00-11:00 AM; I-25 [direction?]; Two drivers on I-25 reported windows shattering between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Wed. [4/29/15]. This one near mile marker 257. (The other at 276). Per Larimer CSO.
>> Shattered 4/30/15; Time ?; I-25 south; Driver reporting shattered window near CO Highway 60 and southbound I-25
>> Shattered 5/7; Early afternoon; I-25 north; A window on a Jeep Grand Cherokee headed northbound on I-25 near Crossroads Blvd. shattered.
>> Shattered 5/12; 11:15 AM; I-25 north; Driver on I-25 north ~ 2 miles south of the Windsor exit, when his driver-side window shattered
>> Jacoby shot 5/18; ~ 10:00:00 AM; Weld Co. Rd. 15; John Jacoby, 48, who had been riding his bike, "had been shot twice, and was discovered by a passing driver shortly after 10 a.m. Monday 5/18/15. It's unknown how long he had been lying in the road."
>> Duel on I-76 5/22; 3:00 PM; I-76 Exit [direction?]; On I-76 and the E. Bromley Lane exit ramp. A driver says he saw 2 cars involved and heard a "pop," and then saw shell casings flying out of the car. Officers are looking for a red Hyundai Santa Fe, and a white Chevy Cruze, believed to be the target.
>> Denver Rd Rage 5/25; 4:00 PM; S. Lincoln (?); "... two people were hit by gunfire in a road rage incident while driving close to S. Broadway and Mississippi... just before 4 p.m., [subsequently reported as "about 3:30 PM]. Both had non-life-threatening wounds.
>> Shat. 6/2/15; 8:30 AM; Lincoln Ave.; A driver-side truck window was shattered outside of Odell Brewery.
>> Shattered no date; Time ?; Hwy 34 east; Driver's side window shattered at the same time a semi-truck drove by. No reporting.
>> Conneole shot 6/3/14; 11:52 PM; E. 1st St. and St. Louis Ave.; William (Bill) Connole shot in drive by "about" 11:52 PM Wed. (6/3/15) night.

Thanks Forager! Really fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member