CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
"In one case last May the wife of a military member was approached in front of her home by two Middle Eastern males. The men stated that she was the wife of a U.S. interrogator. When she denied their claims the men laughed. The two men left the area in a dark-colored, four-door sedan with two other Middle Eastern males in the vehicle.

“The woman had observed the vehicle in the neighborhood on previous occasions,” the alert states."

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/08/...ng-u-s-military-families-in-colorado-wyoming/

<BBM for Focus>

Social Media and Military Personnel Files of retirees hacked by ISIS.. Search it and you will find numerous articles since 01/2015..

ISIS Urges Supporters To Kill 100 U.S. Military Personnel On 'Hacked' Hit List
Reuters
Posted: 03/21/2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/21/isis-military-hit-list_n_6916628.html

"WASHINGTON, March 21 (Reuters) - Islamic State has posted online what it says are the names, U.S. addresses and photos of 100 American military service members, and called upon its "brothers residing in America" to kill them."

OMG!!!

FBI: Middle Eastern Men Intimidating US Military Families In ...
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/08/...ng-u-s-military-families-in-colorado-wyoming/

4 hours ago - The alert says Middle Eastern men are approaching families of U.S. military members at their homes in Colorado and Wyoming

DENVER (CBS4) &#8211; An alert has been issued by the FBI to all law enforcement agencies in Colorado and Wyoming involving U.S. military families and concerns about who may be watching them.
The alert says Middle Eastern men are approaching families of U.S. military members at their homes in Colorado and Wyoming. It mentions Greeley, CO, and Cheyenne, Wyoming as the specific areas.
<snipped>

The FBI document has an interesting provenance.

CBS Denver reported it August 4, 2015 11:59 PM

Three sources reported it on August 2nd, including a story in OODALoop.com.

They link to PublicIntelligence.net site which shows an August 3rd, 2015 byline. It offers a copy of the July 2nd, 2015 FBI "Situational Information Report" that is the ultimate source of the story. (The Report doesn't seem to be on any public FBI or other governmental site. No restrictions on its use are mentioned on the document).

The PublicIntelligence site credits O.A.S.I.S., a "vetran's advocacy organization", with this link, as the source. OASIS doesn't say where they got it.

The PublicIntelligence site also links to a 7/8/15 "force protection advisory" that is says was issued by the Washington National Guard & Military Department about a similar incident that happened to a Washington Air Guard member in June. The link is to this site: www.barenakedislam.com. The one page PDF closes with the admonition that "If you see something, say something" and has a page footer indicating that it is for official use only within the WMD/NGWA. It looks professionally written, but I can't confirm that it was really issued by the WA Natl' Guard.

There was another advisory about "instances of suspicious persons visiting the offpost homes of Fort Lewis, Washington soldiers." This one has a clear official source. It was issued, without a date, by the Maryland National Guard and can be found on the US Army's Ft. Detrick site: http://www.detrick.army.mil/dptms/pdf/msca.pdf

Maryland National Guard
MSCA Force Protection Threat Analysis Cell
Advisory

ELICITATION AND QUESTIONING OF SOLDIERS & THEIR FAMILIES
(U) While no recent elicitations involving military family members have occurred in
Maryland, there have elicitations in the past. Some of these elicitations were trying to
discover information about the activity of military personnel and units from Maryland
stationed overseas. This advisory is a guide military family members and family
support personnel can use to address this issue.
(U) There have recently been several instances of suspicious persons visiting the offpost
homes of Fort Lewis, Washington soldiers. These individuals claim to be
conducting a marketing survey, and ask to speak to both the soldier and his/her
spouse. The questions asked are an attempt to obtain / elicit information, which may
pose a threat to the service members and their families. These questions include such
things as:
&#8226; Where do the family&#8217;s children attend school?
&#8226; Where does the spouse (non-military member) work, and when does he or she go
to work and come home.
&#8226; When does the military member go to the field and how long do the field
problems last?
(U) In addition to the intelligence threat posed by foreign Intelligence Services (FIS),
terrorist elements, their supporters, other extremists are gathering information that
runs the gamut from economic and technological information to the more traditional
classified, military, or security information.

< It goes on to offer advice on how to respond if so questioned. Snipped. >

From https://www.fbi.gov/.../elicitation-techniques, for those of us needing translation:
"Elicitation" is a technique used to discreetly gather information. It is a conversation with a specific purpose: collect information that is not readily available and do so without raising suspicion that specific facts are being sought. It is usually non-threatening, easy to disguise, deniable, and effective.

FBI officials warn of threats to military family members
The Gazette and News Services -

http://gazette.com/fbi-officials-warn-of-threats-to-military-family-members/article/1556886

FBI Alert For Military Families in Colorado
Posted: Wed 6:11 PM, Aug 05, 2015

http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/FBI-Alert-For-Military-Families-in-Colorado-320836721.html

"If you or anyone you know has been approached or sees suspicious behavior,

call the FBI

"Fort Collins Resident Agency," at (970) 663-1028."

BBM

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ice-says-second-grenade-found-at-stearns-lake

Boulder County Sheriff's Office says second explosive device found at Stearns Lake

TheDenverChannel.com Team
7:06 PM, Aug 5, 2015
2 mins ago

BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. - The sheriff's office confirmed Wednesday evening that another possible explosive was found in Boulder County.

Stearns Lake is now closed to the public until a search can be done for further explosives.
The bomb squad is on scene.

FBI officials warn of threats to military family members
The Gazette and News Services -

http://gazette.com/fbi-officials-warn-of-threats-to-military-family-members/article/1556886

<Snipped from article & BBM for Focus>

Spokesmen for the Greeley and Cheyenne police departments did not immediately return messages seeking comment. U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Yuma, issued a statement Wednesday in response to the KCNC report.

"I am alarmed by reports out of Denver that military members' families have been harassed outside their homes and may be under surveillance," he said. "This news comes less than two weeks after FBI Director James Comey, speaking in Denver, warned of the heightened threat from the Islamic State that Colorado specifically faces"

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ice-says-second-grenade-found-at-stearns-lake

Boulder County Sheriff's Office says second explosive device found at Stearns Lake

TheDenverChannel.com Team
7:06 PM, Aug 5, 2015
2 mins ago

BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. - The sheriff's office confirmed Wednesday evening that another possible explosive was found in Boulder County.

Stearns Lake is now closed to the public until a search can be done for further explosives.
The bomb squad is on scene.

just getting in. wtf.

<Snipped from article & BBM for Focus>

Spokesmen for the Greeley and Cheyenne police departments did not immediately return messages seeking comment. U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Yuma, issued a statement Wednesday in response to the KCNC report.

"I am alarmed by reports out of Denver that military members' families have been harassed outside their homes and may be under surveillance," he said. "This news comes less than two weeks after FBI Director James Comey, speaking in Denver, warned of the heightened threat from the Islamic State that Colorado specifically faces"

:shakehead:

(Any of you guys got a couch I can crash on for a while lol)

(whatever the case, the obvious goal here by whoever does such things whether its shooting random people or planting grenades, incidents related or not, its all to make people scared and make them live in fear. Tactics by lowlife bottom feeding cowards. Jmo)

(Most people are so stoned around here they don't know the difference hahahahaha....)
(a little legal weed humor, sorry couldn't resist...)

Some 'color' on Greeley, CO, which figured in yesterday's FBI alert. Sayyid Qutb, a spiritual godfather of today's Sunni jihadists, spent the better part of 1949 in Greeley studying at Colorado State Teachers College, now the University of Northern Colorado. From an old 5/6/03 NPR piece:

... Ironically, Greeley in the middle of the 20th century was a very conservative town, where alcohol was illegal. It was a planned community, founded by Utopian idealists looking to make a garden out of the dry plains north of Denver using irrigation. The founding fathers of Greeley were by all reports temperate, religious and peaceful people.

...When it came to culture, Qutb denounced the primitive jazz music and loud clothing, the obsession with body image and perfection, and the bald sexuality. The American female was naturally a temptress, acting her part in a sexual system Qutb described as 'biological'. "They danced to the tunes of the gramophone, and the dance floor was replete with tapping feet, enticing legs, arms wrapped around waists, lips pressed to lips, and chests pressed to chests. The atmosphere was full of desire." ... there is no evidence that Qutb ever had a sexual relationship in his life.

Joe Moylan of the Greeley Tribune wrote this piece yesterday:

Authenticity of FBI alert in question; no harassment reports in Greeley, Weld

He reports that "Nathan Hunerwadel, a spokesman for the state division of homeland security, said Wednesday his agency was aware of the FBI bulletin, but that his office did not know the details of any specific cases of harassment in Greeley, Cheyenne or elsewhere."

I am taking the FBI bulletin as authentic. I believe that the FBI would have disavowed it by now if it weren't, and there is a similar alert posted to a US Army site by the Maryland National Guard.

I think the real story here is that news as potentially important as the reports by the family members could have circulated as poorly as it seems to have. Two middle-eastern men were working together, on site in Colorado and Wyoming, gathering military intelligence. That should be a key bit of information for anyone working on security in the area, but no one seems to be more than dimly aware of it. I do hope that the Service units in the area are doing a better job of getting word out to their families about it.

So far, the only party to get top marks in sharing information are the family members who recognized the approaches for what they were and reported them. Again, the public providing crucial information.

The kind of "elicitation" activity recently noted in Greeley and Cheyenne is listed as a "Pre-Incident Indicator", according to a 2/10/15 DOJ Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council web page:

http://www.justice.gov/usao-edwi/anti-terrorism-advisory-council

Citizens also play a very important role and can assist by serving as extra “eyes and ears” for law enforcement. ...To do this it is important to know what to look for. Unlike typical criminals, terrorists do not typically act on the spur of the moment and generally plan their actions. There are various "Pre-Incident Indicators" which may indicate potential terrorist activity:

1. Surveillance
The first sign is someone trying to monitor or record activities. If terrorists are targeting a specific area they will most likely be observed in that area during the planning phase of the operation... . <abridged>

2. Elicitation/ Seeking Information
The second sign is the attempt to gain information through inquiries. This includes anyone attempting to gain information about a place, person or operation. Elicitation attempts can be made by mail, fax, telephone, or in person. Examples would be someone inquiring about a critical infrastructure like a power plant, water reservoir or a maritime port. Terrorists may attempt to research bridge and tunnel usage, make unusual inquiries concerning shipments or look into how a facility such as a hospital operates. They may also attempt to place “key” people in sensitive work locations to gain intelligence.

3. Tests of Security
Tests of security or probing are techniques terrorists would use to attempt to gather data... . <abridged>

4. Acquiring Supplies
This may be a case where someone is purchasing or stealing explosives, weapons or ammunition... .

5. Suspicious People Who Do Not Belong
Another pre-incident indicator is observing suspicious people who just don’t belong... .

6. Dry Run/Trial Run
Another sign to watch is for “dry runs.”... .

7. Deploying Assets/Getting Into Position
The seventh and final sign to look for is someone deploying assets or getting into position... .

Joe Moylan of the Greeley Tribune wrote this piece yesterday:

Authenticity of FBI alert in question; no harassment reports in Greeley, Weld

He reports that "Nathan Hunerwadel, a spokesman for the state division of homeland security, said Wednesday his agency was aware of the FBI bulletin, but that his office did not know the details of any specific cases of harassment in Greeley, Cheyenne or elsewhere."

Rsbm

(Insert rant, here it comes:

This stuff is getting too crazy for me...if they don't know then who knows...or in other words they obviously just don't want to talk about it, imo, which is fine. It has taken time to learn that this is obviously the way they are doing things in this case, the more classified the better (in contrast to other more public approaches we see in other cases here). In this case, if they have something to release, then I guess they'll get around to releasing it when they see fit. "Preserving the integrity of the investigation"...

All this new possibly related scary stuff is stuff I personally do not feel comfortable poking my head into...(nothing against you guys, you guy rock, post away as you guys see fit, yall's work has been truly awesome here). I'm just saying for me, between HS, the FBI...this has taken a direction way above my pay grade, lol. I started this thread here, just as I start a lot of other threads here, to help try to locate a possible shooter(s) and utilize our experience of trying to help find missing persons, child killers, etc to maybe help find the coward(s) who is popping people off around here...but now this is way over my head...It seems to me that there are agencies involved that have the resources, manpower, experience, technology to investigate and hopefully help resolve this issue(s) to the best of their abilities. I don't know know what I can possibly do here to help (other than post msm and keep a local eye out for anything suspicious), especially when everything is so secretive...I'm literally scared to post here bc it feels like its something LE might not want us to do...Usually in other cases it is one of our main jobs to help get the word out/post flyers (in addition to helping the families, etc.). Here it seems its just the opposite, imo. Everything is so secretive and I think LE's message at this time is loud and clear. They obviously do not want public involvement in this case or need anyone's help other than looking for this eyesore truck. And if that's what they want, then cool. I have no desire to disrespect their call that they have made on this case. They know more than we do, so if they want to keep things private then they should be able to do this if its the best thing for this investigation and finding the shooter(s). It is not of interest to me to get caught up in whatever government agencies want to do or not do, say or not say...It's obvious they do not want to update us on anything, so be it. This is where I draw the line and get their message...its all in their hands now as far as I'm concerned...(unless a witness spots the truck, etc...).

I hope that whoever killed John Jacoby and William Connole are found and arrested. I've been living and breathing this as a local for months now trying to help and imo I've done everything I can possibly do here for reference purposes (posting the msm articles released, keeping an eye out, etc). Other than that, this is all an apparently classified government agency matter now. Getting too close could actually be dangerous I think, in addition to possibly being detrimental to whatever they are doing on their end. I want no part of any of this gov't agency stuff. If they don't want to tell us anything, then so be it. That is certainly their prerogative while they are conducting their investigations. The question is, do they really owe the public anything? They might owe the families, but...(of course, sooooomething might be nice, like at least "hey guys we are still working on it...". Sometimes it seems insulting to our intelligence, "road debris", "there is no sniper"...).

I will ALwAYS be looking for that truck, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to the banter between HS and the FBI. This is way too deep for me and way over my head. I'm here to help find missing kids, etc. Not help solve our domestic terrorism issues involving elite gov't agencies that don't want to share information.

Again, everyone has done such an amazing job here, espeeeecially FHG/ Forager (Resident SUPER Power Couple!). The maps, spreadsheets, etc. are incredible! Foxfire, your input and possible connections, all of you (Scare Crow, Tin Man...). Thank you from the bottom of my heart bc I know you guys really care about our safety up here. And care about helping find whoever killed Jacoby and Connole. I think most everyone here knows the ten gazillion localized shattering incidents are not "road debris", jmo.

If there is any normal msm (heehee, define normal right, lol, this post is long enough), then I'll post it, just like in other cases re: to missing persons, etc.

Everything is JMO...I know Foxfire is probably going to bust my balls big time on this! Feel free anyone to disagree! I think I'm having a moment...that last quote about HS and the FBI really set me off, didn't it? :facepalm: ...Sorry about that, I'm obviously quite frustrated, lol...I'm definitely not telling anyone else what to post or not, you guys rock, I'm just saying me personally...Yall keep doing your thing!)

(Sorry for the book!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members