"Cover her face"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that protecting "the dignity of the deceased" is a duty of police. I think that might fall under the duties of the Medical Examiner.

I truly don't understand all this outrage a year later for a suicide that occurred on private property. When LE shields a body from public view, I think it is to protect the public, especially children, not the victim.

JMO

Protecting the dignity of the deceased is the duty of every LE officer whether they are investigators or medical examiners. That is obvious. Why would you think that it wasn't their responsibility. A young woman was found under suspicious circumstances to have died a violent death.

When LE shield the body it is done to protect sensitive public but also to protect the dignity of the deceased and their family from indecent exposure.

A normal person would not want their family member exposed the way that Rebecca was. She was a person who had been loved and valued. No one knew at that point how she died and imo we still don't know.

To the world at large it appeared that she was murdered and died a horrible and violent death. Yes I know that there are some people who do not care about the way she was treated but many people feel very strongly that what happened to her and her family was very wrong.

I think it has to do with what emotions you are capable of. Some people are capable of great love and can care about what happens to even a complete stranger. However, as we all know then their are those who don't care unless they will benefit somehow and still others who are filled with almost pathological hatred and contempt for certain people and/or people in general.

I think Rebecca and her family appeared to be fairly decent but not perfect people. Most people wouldn't wish them harm and just feel bad for them.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Why should people care less if a person was murdered and disrespected on private property as opposed to public property. A crime and abuse of one's power and position is just as wrong no matter where it is done.

Here's what I don't understand. The sheriff of San Diego, the ME and 15 investigators were aware Rebecca's nude body was on display being broadcast all over the television/web. Why did Sheriff Gore allow this to continue? Why didn't Gore make a call to cover her body? Why didn't Gore tell the ME to get over here NOW so we can cover this woman's naked body? In my opinion someone with authority had the power to make the call to cover her body and no one did. No one made a call to say "for God's sake, cover this woman's body" no one. Had this been the body of someone in Sheriff Gore's family, LE or the AG, would they have left their body exposed for the world to see? Whether intentional or unintentional it left the public to question how and why LE could leave Rebecca's body exposed for the world to see for 12hrs.

The body was in the privacy of a backyard of a residence. LE didn't place it there. It would only be seen from other private residences or from air space above, neither of which are controlled by LE. LE didn't themselves take photo or distribute them. LE has never controlled the media in the U.S. as far as I know so why would they do anything differently in this case?

JMO

LE is responsible for protecting the crime scene upon it's discovery and that includes that they not allow human remains to be indecently displayed for public viewing. LE was thoroughly versed in how to deal with the problems they faced in this case. They have simple tents available that cover the victim without compromising the evidence. Though they couldn't control the overhead helicopters and gawkers it was well within their power and means to erect a simple tent to provide privacy and dignity to the victim and her family. This would in no way destroy the scene but in effect would have protected the evidence and reduced the sensationalism associated with this case.

Rebecca's indecently displayed remains were on display in a private backyard but neighbors and overhead helicopters were allowed by LE to viewed the scene of her violent death for over 13 hours. There was no need or excuse for this and it should not have been allowed to happen.

I would say that this case was handled very, very poorly starting from mismanagement at the top level that trickled down to the field workers. It was a very disturbing display of gross incompetence, imo.

The body was in the privacy of a backyard of a residence. LE didn't place it there. It would only be seen from other private residences or from air space above, neither of which are controlled by LE. LE didn't themselves take photo or distribute them. LE has never controlled the media in the U.S. as far as I know so why would they do anything differently in this case?

JMO

LE is responsible for protecting the crime scene upon it's discovery and that includes that they not allow human remains to be indecently displayed.

LE is thoroughly versed in how to deal with the problem they faced in this case. They have simple tents available that cover the victim without compromising the evidence.

Though they couldn't control the overhead helicopters and gawkers it was well within their power and means to erect a simple tent to provide privacy and dignity to the victim and her family.

This would in no way destroy the scene but in effect have not only protected
the evidence but would have also reduced the sensationalism associated with this case.

Though the remains were on display in a private backyard the neighbors and overhead helicopters viewed the scene of a violent death for over 13 hours.
There was not need or excuse for this. I would say the case was handled very, very poorly starting from the top management and it trickled down to the field workers. It was a very disturbing display of gross incompetence, imo.

Protocol? Do tell.

I'd suggest you check with the SDSO. Or SD county, as every LEA in the good ole USofA has minimum standards they must adhere to. Most states and municipalities rise above that standard. Ask to look at their 'directives' ;)

Happy to be of help :)

Here's what I don't understand. The sheriff of San Diego, the ME and 15 investigators were aware Rebecca's nude body was on display being broadcast all over the television/web. Why did Sheriff Gore allow this to continue? Why didn't Gore make a call to cover her body? Why didn't Gore tell the ME to get over here NOW so we can cover this woman's naked body? In my opinion someone with authority had the power to make the call to cover her body and no one did. No one made a call to say "for God's sake, cover this woman's body" no one. Had this been the body of someone in Sheriff Gore's family, LE or the AG, would they have left their body exposed for the world to see? Whether intentional or unintentional it left the public to question how and why LE could leave Rebecca's body exposed for the world to see for 12hrs.

BBM

Once the very first camera-ready helicopter arrived, it was already too late to protect RZ’s dignity. Photos were then approved and published to the world.

Placing a cover/shield afterward would have made little difference (the photos-to-the-world damage was already done) and could have compromised what was considered a “violent death” crime scene at the time. JMHO

The image of Rebecca laying in that courtyard naked, ankles and wrists bound behind her back, gagged and dead are forever etched in my memory. I cannot begin to imagine how her family feel :'(

BBM

Once the very first camera-ready helicopter arrived, it was already too late to protect RZ’s dignity. Photos were then approved and published to the world.

Placing a cover/shield afterward would have made little difference (the photos-to-the-world damage was already done) and could have compromised what was considered a “violent death” crime scene at the time. JMHO

I strongly disagree. By LE allowing an injustice to continue for 13+ hours only added insult to injury. I think anyone would insist that their loved one be covered even after pictures were taken. I don't believe any LE on that scene would allow their loved one's remains to be treated as Rebecca's had been treated.

Erecting a tent would not have damaged evidence. Imo, a tent would have protected evidence from being degraded by the elements in addition to showing that LE knew how to handle human remains in a humane and respectful manner.

Does anyone know why my posts are doubled? I only press reply once. After I notice the double post there is no delete option displayed.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the timeline? It seems to have moved?

IMHO and since RZ was in an enclosed courtyard, the time to have placed a cover/shield was before the helicopters arrived. I respect differing opinions to this.

I continue to question why Coronado LE and SD LE did not place a cover/shield by the time first helicopters arrived or if LE was somehow stalled from doing so. LE certainly would have anticipated that helicopters would arrive once the word was out about the second tragedy in less than two days at the same mansion. JMHO

How much time was there between when first responders arrived on scene (~7AM IIRC) and when the first helicopters arrived? When did SD LE arrive on scene? TIA

Does anyone know why my posts are doubled? I only press reply once. After I notice the double post there is no delete option displayed.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the timeline? It seems to have moved?

The timeline is under review and should be back up in several days. It is being reviewed for off-topic reasons i was told.

IMHO and since RZ was in an enclosed courtyard, the time to have placed a cover/shield was before the helicopters arrived. I respect differing opinions to this.

I continue to question why Coronado LE and SD LE did not place a cover/shield by the time first helicopters arrived or if LE was somehow stalled from doing so. LE certainly would have anticipated that helicopters would arrive once the word was out about the second tragedy in less than two days at the same mansion. JMHO

How much time was there between when first responders arrived on scene (~7AM IIRC) and when the first helicopters arrived? When did SD LE arrive on scene? TIA

I respect your view point and I understand that each person would handle the situation differently.

I would not want a naked dead person to be allowed to be viewed for 13 hours. I understand that someone already took a picture. However, I don't think that the fact that someone took a picture justified allowing it to continue.

The family and many members of the public feel it was inhumane and made LE look incompetent. I also understand that some people were not offended by it but were curious to see the naked dead woman.

I have accepted, which does not mean I approve of, the fact that RZ’ uncovered/unshielded body was left for 13+ hours in that courtyard.

I’m interested in the “why/how it happened” and posted questions up-thread to explore that aspect.

I remember that day - I'll never forget it. And although the media (here) blurred most of her body out, you could clearly see the disrespect. Heck, the LE even covered Trayvon Martin's body and he was fully clothed (but I don't want this to be a discussion about that case). In most (if not all) murder/suicide cases I've seen, someone is holding a blanket, or there is a tent, or the body is covered. Most recently, the bride who was swept in the water after taking pictures in her wedding dress.

I don't understand the reasoning. If the key-stone-coronado-cops thought they were trying to save some sort of forensic evidence, I call bull-chit. RZ did not deserve the treatment she received in death and I hope that procedures are looked into pronto. I know many people on the Island, and can't imagine this happening to any of them.

RIP Rebecca - you deserved so much more.

Melanie
San Diego

Link, please, to law enforcement's responsibility to "protect the dignity of the deceased" at a potential crime scene that occurs on private property. I don't believe such an obligation exists.

JMO

From SDSO website:

SAN DIEGO SHERIFF OFFICE

OUR CORE VALUES
HONESTY We are truthful in our words and in our actions.

INTEGRITY As people of character and principle, we do what is right, even when no one is looking.

LOYALTY We are loyal to our department and our profession and committed to protecting the quality of life in the communities we serve.

TRUST We are confident in the integrity, the ability and the good character of our colleagues.

RESPECT We treat everyone with dignity, honoring the rights of all individuals.

FAIRNESS We are just and impartial in all of our interactions. Our decisions are made without personal favoritism.

DIVERSITY We embrace the strength in the diversity of our employees and our communities.

I also agree that LE's duty is to preserve evidence. Placing a covering on a body doesn't preserve evidence, it compromises it.

JMO

You don't place a covering on the body it you tent it. The tent never touches the body. It protects the evidence from being lost to wind, rain and solar degradation. it also provides privacy and maintains the dignity of the deceased.

When LE treat persons and human remains with respect it helps the public at large to have more respect and confidence it them. This in turn enhances their professional image.

So as you can see what goes around comes around, no?

You don't place a covering on the body it you tent it. The tent never touches the body. It protects the evidence from being lost to wind, rain and solar degradation. it also provides privacy and maintains the dignity of the deceased.

When LE treat persons and human remains with respect it helps the public at large to have more respect and confidence it them. This in turn enhances their professional image.

I agree. And although this was the first murder/suicide in years, there's no excuse for not knowing procedure. LE knew there were helicopters hovering overhead and took no precaution to show Rebecca any dignity. It would have taken less than an hour to get a tent up to prevent such photos from being taken. IMHO.

From SDSO website:

SAN DIEGO SHERIFF OFFICE

OUR CORE VALUES
HONESTY We are truthful in our words and in our actions.

INTEGRITY As people of character and principle, we do what is right, even when no one is looking.

LOYALTY We are loyal to our department and our profession and committed to protecting the quality of life in the communities we serve.

TRUST We are confident in the integrity, the ability and the good character of our colleagues.

RESPECT We treat everyone with dignity, honoring the rights of all individuals.

FAIRNESS We are just and impartial in all of our interactions. Our decisions are made without personal favoritism.

DIVERSITY We embrace the strength in the diversity of our employees and our communities.

With all due respect, LE focus is on the living, not the dead. RZ's body could not be seen from the street or sidewalk.

JMO

I've not seen anyone complaining about it except a few posters here. No reason to tent a body that can't be seen from the street or sidewalk. I don't believe a tent is a standard item carried in the trunk of a police car.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member