Found Deceased CT - Lauren Smith-Fields, 23, Bridgeport, 12 Dec 2021

I’m not seeing anything that suggests the date harmed her.
- The condom & lube makes sense for a date (if it was even from their date).
- The date is the one who phoned 911 and saw blood on her nostrils. Blood could be from overdose or from a minor (possibly drunken) injury, like a bloody nose.
- Brother mentioned “flipped plates” - link at end. Plates could be upset from drunken stupor, amorous activity, or from someone clearing the space.
- Brother also mentioned “big stain of blood” in the bed. That could be someone with a bloody nose stumbling into bed or menses - or it could just be an old stain.
- I'm leaving out the source of the opioid because I haven't read that far yet. There are so many threads here about someone unknowingly ingesting something far stronger than intended.

This sounds like excess drinking, unfortunately. Tequila does have a reputation for sneaking up on you - a 23yr old might not know that. Alcohol + opioids is a very dangerous combination. Sounds like the date woke up, started compressions, and called for help.

Am I missing something about the date? I do have sympathy for the family - their loss and how they were notified/treated by LE.

“The first night we saw cups there, flipped plates and the lube. The cops didn’t take any of the cups to test the liquor,” Jetter told the publication. “There was a big stain of blood in the middle of her bed, with streaks going to the right side.”
Lauren Smith-Fields' Family Sues Connecticut Police Over Investigation Into Her Death

As an addition to the post above, “flipped plates” could have occurred while emergency personnel were there or while her date was giving CPR. There was a lot of activity that could have caused things to get knocked over.

IIRC, one well known date rape drug is rohypnol—that was not listed on the toxicology report. (At least from what was made public)

Plates are at times used to crush up or line up drugs that may be snorted. I am not sure if the bottom side would be used, but certainly possible. I wonder if that is the reason this could have been mentioned..

My opinions.

I’m not seeing anything that suggests the date harmed her.
- The condom & lube makes sense for a date (if it was even from their date).
- The date is the one who phoned 911 and saw blood on her nostrils. Blood could be from overdose or from a minor (possibly drunken) injury, like a bloody nose.
- Brother mentioned “flipped plates” - link at end. Plates could be upset from drunken stupor, amorous activity, or from someone clearing the space.
- Brother also mentioned “big stain of blood” in the bed. That could be someone with a bloody nose stumbling into bed or menses - or it could just be an old stain.
- I'm leaving out the source of the opioid because I haven't read that far yet. There are so many threads here about someone unknowingly ingesting something far stronger than intended.

This sounds like excess drinking, unfortunately. Tequila does have a reputation for sneaking up on you - a 23yr old might not know that. Alcohol + opioids is a very dangerous combination. Sounds like the date woke up, started compressions, and called for help.

Am I missing something about the date? I do have sympathy for the family - their loss and how they were notified/treated by LE.

“The first night we saw cups there, flipped plates and the lube. The cops didn’t take any of the cups to test the liquor,” Jetter told the publication. “There was a big stain of blood in the middle of her bed, with streaks going to the right side.”
Lauren Smith-Fields' Family Sues Connecticut Police Over Investigation Into Her Death

You can see the blood stain on the sheets at 2:28 in this video. Definitely looks like it's from her nose bleed to me

For some reason, I'm not feeling the idea that her brother gave/sold her drugs. I just can't see him being so vocal and public if he did, and I can't believe her parents would suspect that was what happened and push for such a public investigation.

I'm glad this is being investigated, as it should've from the very beginning. It makes zero sense for the last person who saw her alive and called LE to not even be looked at because he's a "nice guy". No evidence collected, nothing. That's the bare minimum, even it was an accidental overdose, they should've done their job.

For some reason, I'm not feeling the idea that her brother gave/sold her drugs. I just can't see him being so vocal and public if he did, and I can't believe her parents would suspect that was what happened and push for such a public investigation.

I'm glad this is being investigated, as it should've from the very beginning. It makes zero sense for the last person who saw her alive and called LE to not even be looked at because he's a "nice guy". No evidence collected, nothing. That's the bare minimum, even it was an accidental overdose, they should've done their job.

Me too. I'm surprised by how many people are willing to believe the date's entire story but discount everything the brother has to say. The brother said she didn't even seem drunk or off in the slightest when he saw her, and the date said she was already sick before the brother showed up. Even if the date had nothing to do with her death, he needs to be looked at, and unfortunately LE's callousness and failures from the very beginning only add to this speculation.

Per her tagged photos on Instagram prior to her death, she was employed as a bottle girl at an average/nice looking club, which would explain the cash - bottle girls make a huge amount in tips.

Me too. I'm surprised by how many people are willing to believe the date's entire story but discount everything the brother has to say. The brother said she didn't even seem drunk or off in the slightest when he saw her, and the date said she was already sick before the brother showed up. Even if the date had nothing to do with her death, he needs to be looked at, and unfortunately LE's callousness and failures from the very beginning only add to this speculation.

From what I’ve read, the date was interviewed for several hours and signed a sworn statement. So it’s not like he wasn’t looked at? IMO.

I agree they should have collected evidence at the scene.

Does anyone know what happened to her phone?
Could be very helpful.

Could it be that we're missing the point here? Let's assume she wasn't murdered for one sec.

What if this is an addict? A young woman with mental health problems? A week before her death she posted an Instagram with the caption "Self-destructive." Maybe, just maybe she was one of those things, and we're doing her a huge injustice by ignoring that possibility. E.g. she could have been bipolar - speculation/JMO/MOO - well with rapid-cycling bipolar you don't just feel destructive, you feel manic and high at times, and your inhibitions to drugs are definitely lower. So maybe she cared less than usual about taking risks with what she consumed.

That would be a tragedy, and it would be tragic to ignore that that might have been the kind of reality this young woman was dealing with.

Very odd case—one thing stands out. If I was on a date and my date became sick to the point of vomiting, I would not hang around! I’d be concerned they had a GI bug and I wouldn’t want to take a chance on catching it. I’m a germaphobe though so maybe that’s not the norm?
I'm sure glad I'm not friends with your friends. If i was on a date and they became too intoxicated to care for themselves I for sure wouldn't leave them alone.

I'm sure glad I'm not friends with your friends. If i was on a date and they became too intoxicated to care for themselves I for sure wouldn't leave them alone.

Would you consider introducing yourself to the sibling who came over, and explain that the host already vomited & you felt the date was over & would be leaving?

This would leave the person in the care of their sibling -- not me.

jmho ymmv lrr.

I can't find employment for her, I ran a search and nothing came up. She seems to have traveled a lot, and had to have funded that somehow. I am fairly sure it will come up her brother gave her the drugs for a number of reasons. The late visit at midnight, the vomiting after she met him (vomiting, besides from too much alcohol can also occur with very recent opioid ingestion) all point towards the brother MOO.

Her date works at a place which does business with the military, so it is fairly likely he underwent random drug tests, making him way less likely to have given her anything. In addition, if this was a mutual benefit type of encounter, he may be fairly used to this behavior, hence the vomiting not bothering him too much. Also, the condom may have been from a previous encounter, and really not his at all. Time will tell. Again MOO.

BBM
I'm intrigued, and sorry if it has already been mentioned...what do you mean by "ran a search"? What platform or database did you use?

To me, the date just doesn’t seem guilty. But he definitely could be.

Do we know what time the brother came over? And she went outside to meet with her brother?

The $40 seems odd. But maybe I’m making something out of nothing.

Yes, it also seems to me that even if a family were trying to lay the groundwork for a lawsuit they would not say "Lauren didn't do drugs" if they knew she did. An entire family couldn't be stupid enough to not know that historical drug use can be determined from medical examination right?

The Bridgeport mayor said the two detectives are facing discipline for their “lack of sensitivity to the public and their failure to follow police procedure in the handling of these two matters."

“The Bridgeport Police Department has high standards for officer sensitivity especially in matters involving the death of a family member," Ganim said. "It is an unaccepted failure that policies were not followed.

"To the families, friends, and all who care about human decency that should be shown in these situations in this case, by members of the police department, I am very sorry.”

Detective Probing Death of Lauren Smith-Fields Suspended, CT Mayor Says

The family of 53-year-old Brenda Lee Rawls told News 12’s Frank Recchia that the police department mishandled the investigation into her death. According to the family, they were disrespected by police and failed to be notified of her death in a timely manner.

The family told News 12 back in December that Rawls was found deceased in her home on Pearl Street but were not notified by police of her death.
She was found on the same day as Lauren Smith-Fields, 23, of Bridgeport…

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY BOTH DETECTIVE LLANOS AND DETECTIVE CRONIN ARE SUSPENDED FROM DUTIES AND PUT ON ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE OIA INVESTIGATION AND DISCIPLINARY CASE HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.
In addition, the supervisory officer who was in charge of overseeing these matters has retired from the department as of this past Friday

Mayor: 2 detectives involved in Smith-Fields, Rawls death probes placed on administrative leave

Last edited:
I felt similarly after a Virginia Beach woman died under similar circumstances (the police quickly excused the active duty soldier who took her home after a girls night out and called 911 in morning). Police should not prejudge and should investigate all untimely deaths. You can both protect the privacy of the man who you believe to be innocent and also investigate to make sure he is not a killer. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

For Lauren: Based on the cups left at the scene they did not even preserve evidence in case something came up at autopsy. Moo.
Virginia mom Sheena West is found dead after disappearing during night out with friends | Daily Mail Online

I understand they are still waiting for the toxicology reports and the results can take months? Please correct me if I’m wrong.
That being said, there’s no excuse for insensitive behavior towards her family.
And also no excuse for not properly investigating and certainly no excuse for not notifying her family properly. I don’t know what happened here, but the police have an awful lot to answer for imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back