Custody Document: "To Determine Paternity & Parental Relief"

she gave that address when she filed her written statement to the court!!! She moved it's up to her to notified the court she moved!!

Yea I see that. Thats why Im having a hard time believing she didnt know.

she gave that address when she filed her written statement to the court!!! She moved it's up to her to notified the court she moved!!

I agree. And I'm not buying it that she was/is afraid of Ron. She just doesn't act like a woman who has been beaten. She acts like a vengeful person.

The items quoted were quoted from the MOTION FOR REHEARING AND OBJECTION TO FINDINGS OF MAGISTRATE which states, "Comes now the Defendant through her undersigned attorney to state the following for the Court."

Ronald Cummings brought a custody suit against Crystal Sheffield. This is her rebuttal. She and her attorney can bring anything up in court, but it has to be proven. Obviously, these accusations were not valid or proven to be false as Ronald Cummings was awarded full custody and is the custodial parent. That speaks volumes.

ITA with you...

read #4 & #5

4 and 5 were in regard to the petition filed by Ron...not the notification of the December hearing, which was mailed. What happens to mail that goes to an address where the addressee doesn't live? Sometimes it gets put back in the mail, and something written on it like "not at this address"...but more than likely, thrown away.

She was served a copy of his petition. How did she receive that and not the other? That makes no sense to me.
Because she was actually "served" by a process server with the petition. The notification of the hearing was mailed. Says so in the document.

So she was served and answered the petition which would of required her mailing address. If she moved after she answered that petition it is her responsibility to inform the courts NOT Rons.
Because she was actually "served" by a process server with the petition. The notification of the hearing was mailed. Says so in the document.

I still feel as Crystal was afraid of Ronald. As a one time wife of a wife beater, I can tell you, just in the 5 total months I was married to this man, I would do whatever it took to stay away from him. Granted, that would mean that I would have my kids with me wherever I went. However if the courts took her kids away and placed them with him, I can see how she would not come see them perhaps as much as she really wanted to. I am not defending her actions, but I can truly understand. Also if she was behind in her child support payments, this would be one more thing that could anger Ronald. If he had threatened to kill Crystal, then WHY would she come around anymore than necessary.

The part that worries me is if that canal that is behind Ronald's house has alligators, and there is no fence up, could Haleigh been placed in there? Or is this even the same house /trailer that the document spoke of? ARE there alligators in that canal behind the house? I know that alligators are all over FL. My husband has an aunt and uncle that own a golf course and country club in FL and there are alligators that come onto the golf course.
I think the house Crystal referred to in her request for a re-hearing was TN's house. You can find Alligators in just about any body of water in Florida...they travel from pond to pond, river to river, canal to canal. They snatch dogs, people, children all the time. There should have been a fence up behind that trailer. The children would go down to the water all the time. If it was a pool, they would be required to fence it in.

I think we all need to remember what prompted Ron filing for custody in the first place. He claimed she had a cocaine problem therefore he did not return the kids in August after he took them on a vacation, instead he filed for custody. Crystal admitted cocaine use after Haleigh was born and during her preg with Rj. I do not know if in August 2005 she was using cocaine or not. Ron may be a jerk and an abuser, but he did not force Crystal to put cocaine in her body.

(bolded by me) I don't believe that for a minute. He filed first to get the jump on her.

You and I agree on the part about a jerk and an abuser. Glad we found something we both agree on, LOL

My response is late on the question as to why it is entitled To determine Paternity. From my understanding this is necessary because RC and CS were not married at the time of the children's births. The determination that he is the actual father would need to be made in order to bring forth a claim for custody.

O/T but our next door neighbors son just had a child born out of wedlock. He is in the process of establishing paternity so that he can petition the court so that he can pay child support and also ask for visitation with this child. It's a lot of legal wrangling that must be done.

4 and 5 were in regard to the petition filed by Ron...not the notification of the December hearing, which was mailed. What happens to mail that goes to an address where the addressee doesn't live? Sometimes it gets put back in the mail, and something written on it like "not at this address"...but more than likely, thrown away.

Crystal was served with the papers on Oct 5 and she filed a typed answer on Oct 18th opposing. She received notice. LE serves these papers as I myself was served papers from LE regarding visitation issues. She was served and replied!

I'm not caught up reading this thread, but any never married father needs to establish paternity in order to have rights. This is normaly done when the mother files for child support, but if the mother chooses not to seek CS then it is up to the father to establish paternity and seek custody and/or visitation if he wishes to have any legal rights to his children.

Cubby- a never married mom too, ;)

I didn't realize this Cubby. I guess it makes sense. I just thought that sad that he had to determine paternity as if he didn't know for sure or something. I guess it's required by law then if you're not married?

I didn't realize this Cubby. I guess it makes sense. I just thought that sad that he had to determine paternity as if he didn't know for sure or something. I guess it's required by law then if you're not married?

In my county it is a requirement, especially if there is any kind of state services involved, ie Medicaid. I don't know if it is a state law or if it varies from place to place. I guess it's something more to sleuth.:)

I think the house Crystal referred to in her request for a re-hearing was TN's house. You can find Alligators in just about any body of water in Florida...they travel from pond to pond, river to river, canal to canal. They snatch dogs, people, children all the time. There should have been a fence up behind that trailer. The children would go down to the water all the time. If it was a pool, they would be required to fence it in.

When I visited my dad down in Lakeland, FL one summer there was an alligator that crawled under the wire fencing onto his driveway. From that experience I'm not sure that alligators are necessarily deterred by fencing. I do agree however that all means should be taken to protect the kids. I just wanted to put my experience out there in regards to alligators vs. fencing.

Busylady, I just wanted to give a huge TY for clearing up for these posters what actually went down with the custody hearing(s).
The judge clearly had no choice on where the children would go, IMO. Crystal admitted to her faults (drug use, including during pregnancy, sleeping in 12x in 6 months rather than taking Haleigh to DR). And she couldn't provide any backup as to her accusations against Ron (which are easy to make).

And YES, it's Crystal's responsiblitly to notify the court of ANY address change when she is involved in a custody dispute, that is if she cared enough to see her kids...

In my county it is a requirement, especially if there is any kind of state services involved, ie Medicaid. I don't know if it is a state law or if it varies from place to place. I guess it's something more to sleuth.:)

My county also. Standard procedure. I am in Illinois also.

Crystal was served with the papers on Oct 5 and she filed a typed answer on Oct 18th opposing. She received notice. LE serves these papers as I myself was served papers from LE regarding visitation issues. She was served and replied!
That is just not true...you are still not understanding the difference between the petition that was filed by Ron in September and served on Crystal personally in October...and the notice of the December hearing that took place where the judge decided everything. The hearing notice was MAILED to both parties. Says so right there in the documents. Since Crystal failed to appear, the judge decided in Ron's favor. That's the way these things go here in Florida. He filed first...she was served the petition ONLY...her address was not correct on his petition...she didn't receive notice of the hearing...and where the heck was her attorney? He should have received the notice of hearing...but the papers say both parties were mailed the notice. He got his side presented to the judge...she didn't even get notice of the hearing.

I can't see why so many seem to see Ron as the good guy... The judge thought the grandmother, who worked for the Alachua county sheriff's office, would be helping to care for the children. Ron said he was going to put them in daycare. Instead, they end up cared for by his teen age mistress and Haleigh ends up missing.

#19 in the request for a rehearing really made my hair stand on end.

<snipped from document>

19. If this matter and the underlying and undisclosed issues are not addressed now, then it is only a matter of time before additions significant incidents
occur that will demand the Court's attention and the re-hash of what is more properly addressed now.

Look what's happened while they were in his custody.

Where I think the misunderstanding is in all this is that yes Crystal was personally served on October 5, no sure how they found her or what address they served her at. She answered the petition on October 18, 2005 which means she filled out a form that includes personal information and objections to the petition. The form she mailed back October 18, 2005 would of had her address on it, therefore if she moved after that date or the date was wrong on the original petition it was her responsibility to inform the court.

She did get a chance at a hearing on December 27th to give her side and the judge made the ruling based on information Ron, Crystal, DCF, and voilence records provided.

That is just not true...you are still not understanding the difference between the petition that was filed by Ron in September and served on Crystal personally in October...and the notice of the December hearing that took place where the judge decided everything. The hearing notice was MAILED to both parties. Says so right there in the documents. Since Crystal failed to appear, the judge decided in Ron's favor. That's the way these things go here in Florida. He filed first...she was served the petition ONLY...her address was not correct on his petition...she didn't receive notice of the hearing...and where the heck was her attorney? He should have received the notice of hearing...but the papers say both parties were mailed the notice. He got his side presented to the judge...she didn't even get notice of the hearing.

I can't see why so many seem to see Ron as the good guy...I don't see anything of the kind. The judge thought the grandmother, who worked for the Alachua county sheriff's office, would be helping to care for the children. Ron said he was going to put them in daycare. Instead, they end up cared for by his teen age mistress and Haleigh ends up missing.

#19 in the request for a rehearing really made my hair stand on end.

<snipped from document>

19. If this matter and the underlying and undisclosed issues are not addressed now, then it is only a matter of time before additions significant incidents
occur that will demand the Court's attention and the re-hash of what is more properly addressed now.

Look what's happened while they were in his custody.

FairNBalanced have you seen all the documents where Crystal is in the court room and answers the questions the Judge presents to her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back