Defense wants gas reciept block from trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Investigator Blackwell needs to take the time to refresh his memory on the case facts and details. He also needs serious coaching on how to be a good witness.
I was very disappointed in his testimony yesterday....very vulnerable.

I was surprised to learn he was, at one time, a lead investigator on the case. He came across as very junior and quite uncertain in his demeanor. The defense will have him for lunch if is the same way during trial.

For those visual people, like me, here is a map of the area (including the convenience store image from Just the Fax).

youngmap.jpg

Floorplan of the house, with numbers indicating the route that I believe Jason took when entering the house in the middle of the night

MichelleYoungFloorPlan2.jpg

Hampton Inn Floor Plan

hillsvillehamptonDWF-1.jpg

Otto, that diagram for the Hampton is close, but not so accurate.
The front entrance is further to the left side and the far left downstairs is an indoor pool.
The front desk is on the right side, as you enter.
The stairwell he used (right side of building) is on the opposite side of the hall (back side)

Capture-7.jpg

Otto, that diagram for the Hampton is close, but not so accurate.
The front entrance is further to the left side and the far left downstairs is an indoor pool.
The front desk is on the right side, as you enter.
The stairwell he used (right side of building) is on the opposite side of the hall (back side)

Capture-7.jpg

Thanks. I might make corrections, depending on time ... but it gives the idea of the layout of a standard Hampton Inn.

GoJo? Who/what is GoJo?

He's a friend and neighbor of the Pat Young that became involved in discussions about the case, posting on various discussion boards. That was one of the names that he used when posting. He was (perhaps still is) convinced of Jason's innocence, having known Jason since he was a child.

He's a friend and neighbor of the Pat Young that became involved in discussions about the case, posting on various discussion boards. That was one of the names that he used when posting. He was (perhaps still is) convinced of Jason's innocence, having known Jason since he was a child.

Thanks, wish I had joined WS's long ago, I've missed so much of the original news, only followed the news at WRAL & N&O. :( No discussion groups though.

For those visual people, like me, here is a map of the area (including the convenience store image from Just the Fax).
< picture snipped due to saving room >
Very nice, Otto - thanks!
icon7.gif

Thanks, wish I had joined WS's long ago, I've missed so much of the original news, only followed the news at WRAL & N&O. :( No discussion groups though.

You have the advantage of hearing the evidence fresh during the trial - there have been all sorts of debates about facts during the last few years, some of which were likely wrong.

Just like in the Cooper case, there were mistakes made during the investigation. The receipt identification is obviously one of them. They should have used a photo line-up rather than only showing Jason's photo. Although it will be introduced as evidence, I think it's shakey evidence. Also, photos were taken of blood smears in the bathroom (made by a child), but police forgot to take measurements. That meant they had to return months later to photograph the location to determine the size of the smears. Boards were taken from the back deck months later and no one could at first figure out the reason. I think it was because there were footprints in the finish and police then tried to match those prints to the prints in the bedroom. There were 2 different sized prints in the bedroom, so it was argued that Young wore two different sized shoes (something like that) or wore shoes that were too small. Anyway, hearing the evidence straight up in a linear manner should be an advantage in terms of deciding whether he is guilty or innocent. I was convinced of guilt a month or two after the murder.

< picture snipped due to saving room >
Very nice, Otto - thanks!
icon7.gif

Just the Fax added a good timeline above ... might try to make a map of the timeline, as I think that would really help clarify what he was doing through the night.

Yes, the timeline is like this

1- Leaves home after 7:00 PM , getting gas in raleigh @ 7:32 pm. Stops at the Greensboro Cracker Barrel 1/2 way to Hillsville. Arrives in Hillsville Va around 10:45 pm

2- He leaves the hotel at 12 am for Raleigh, arriving at 2:40 am to murder Michelle.

3- He changes, tends to and drugs Cassidy and finally departs around 4:10 am and heads back to Va, stopping for gas in King NC at 5:27AM... arriving at the Hampton at 6:15 am...sneaks in, changes, gets receipt and bag amd departs at 7:15AM... calls 'someone' (Meredith VM?) at 7:40 am and then MM at 7:49 am before arriving in Clintwood Va at 10:35 am (35 minutes late after getting lost))

4- After a short 25 minute meeting, he leaves Clintwood at 11:00 am, stopping in Duffield Va at 12:06 pm for gas

5- After hanging up with MM at 2:30 pm, he pulls into the local Brevard hospital (business unknown)...leaving at 3:20 PM

5- Arrives at Ma Pat's around 3:30 pm , falling plumb to his knees.

6- The clan packs up and leaves Brevard at 5pm (gets gas in Burlington @ 8:30 pm)

7- The clan pulls into MF's drive around 9:45 pm

Is it just me, or would he have to be driving like a maniac to get from Raleigh to King in just an hour and a half? He's lucky he didn't get stopped on I-40. Of course that would have likely saved us taxpayers several years worth of investigation since his alibi would have been busted.

Yes, he had to be driving 80MPH (mostly interstate).....the after 4AM departure from Raleigh is based on the paper man that saw a white SUV in the driveway after 4AM.
He was very late after the bloody mess and needed to get back to the Hampton Inn before the propped door was discovered. He was very agitated at the gas stop, cursing Gracie because he had to go in first and pay.

"Dahms said she saw a white SUV pull up to a pump. A frustrated man, she said, a man identified in court today as Jason Young then came into the store, and in what she described as an unusual event, cussed her out for the trouble he was having at the pump. Her practice was to tell people they could either pay in cash at the register or leave a credit card or photo ID with her before she would start the pump at that time of day.

Dahms said the man threw down $20, pumped $15 in gas and did not come back for his change."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05...ows-store-clerks-testimony.html#ixzz1MvoGQCmJ

You have the advantage of hearing the evidence fresh during the trial - there have been all sorts of debates about facts during the last few years, some of which were likely wrong.

Just like in the Cooper case, there were mistakes made during the investigation. The receipt identification is obviously one of them. They should have used a photo line-up rather than only showing Jason's photo. Although it will be introduced as evidence, I think it's shakey evidence. Also, photos were taken of blood smears in the bathroom (made by a child), but police forgot to take measurements. That meant they had to return months later to photograph the location to determine the size of the smears. Boards were taken from the back deck months later and no one could at first figure out the reason. I think it was because there were footprints in the finish and police then tried to match those prints to the prints in the bedroom. There were 2 different sized prints in the bedroom, so it was argued that Young wore two different sized shoes (something like that) or wore shoes that were too small. Anyway, hearing the evidence straight up in a linear manner should be an advantage in terms of deciding whether he is guilty or innocent. I was convinced of guilt a month or two after the murder.

I suspected he was guilty the moment he lawyered up. The more the story came out, the more convinced I was. I just wish they'd gone for the death penalty on this one.

Yes, he had to be driving 80MPH (mostly interstate).....the after 4AM departure from Raleigh is based on the paper man that saw a white SUV in the driveway after 4AM.
He was very late after the bloody mess and needed to get back to the Hampton Inn before the propped door was discovered. He was very agitated at the gas stop, cursing Gracie because he had to go in first and pay.

"Dahms said she saw a white SUV pull up to a pump. A frustrated man, she said, a man identified in court today as Jason Young then came into the store, and in what she described as an unusual event, cussed her out for the trouble he was having at the pump. Her practice was to tell people they could either pay in cash at the register or leave a credit card or photo ID with her before she would start the pump at that time of day.

Dahms said the man threw down $20, pumped $15 in gas and did not come back for his change."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05...ows-store-clerks-testimony.html#ixzz1MvoGQCmJ

He probably didn't anticipate how hard poor Michelle fought for her life. :maddening:

I am just loving all this dialogue exchange between Jason and Gracie. Knowing all we do about the timeline, it makes perfect sense that his nerves were frazzled no end as his murder ploy started to have a few hiccups. Jason did NOT want even a split second conversation with a single soul until he could at least get is butt back to the HInn. And luckily, he ended up showing his true colors at Four Brothers and made a complete a$$ of himself.

He probably didn't anticipate how hard poor Michelle fought for her life. :maddening:

Stabbing her how many times to make all that blood splatter? Geez at least brad cooper was clean about it and kind of left his kids out of it. Reminds me of the show Dexter.

Stabbing her how many times to make all that blood splatter? Geez at least brad cooper was clean about it and kind of left his kids out of it. Reminds me of the show Dexter.

No stabbing....he beat her poor head to a pulp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500